Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardundo

Reaction score
Hi, the condenser appears to be working fine and the other units (other rooms, seldom use) are working fine as well.

The distance is around 7 meters.

The service was called because my aircon unit is leaking, the service man used vacuum to clear the drain pipe.

He later inform me that a coat of ice was found on the fin of the indoor unit which he says the gas is insufficient and proceeded to topup the gas.

The rest of the general servicing includes brushing the blower and washing the filter.

Hi,

1. Have a look and feel your condenser to see whether the fan and compressor are both running after 5 mins of turning on your FCU.

The running of the compressor can only be felt (you can't see it) through its vibration. The fan is visible, so you can see whether it is running or not.

2. How far is your condenser from your FCU in meters?

3. What service was done recently?

4. Why was the gas topped up?

dachee

Reaction score
Hi, the condenser appears to be working fine and the other units (other rooms, seldom use) are working fine as well.

The distance is around 7 meters.

The service was called because my aircon unit is leaking, the service man used vacuum to clear the drain pipe.

He later inform me that a coat of ice was found on the fin of the indoor unit which he says the gas is insufficient and proceeded to topup the gas.

The rest of the general servicing includes brushing the blower and washing the filter.

Hi,

The model number you provided, FTKD25DVM is Daikin's indoor unit (ie the FCU). Do you have the outdoor (the condenser) model number? Is it RKS25GVMG?

By the way, is there ice forming inside the FCU again?

Last edited:

chuanx

Reaction score
Quick check with experts here. I just ordered Daikin Smile series system 3 for my 3 rooms BTO. 2 units x 9000BTU for bedrooms and 1 unit x 18000BTU for living room. My question is: Can the condenser unit MKS65QVMG with capacity of 21200BTU support this configuration? Thanks in advance.

wizardundo

Reaction score
Hi,

The model number you provided, FTKD25DVM is Daikin's indoor unit (ie the FCU). Do you have the outdoor (the condenser) model number? Is it RKS25GVMG?

By the way, is there ice forming inside the FCU again?

Hi,

Based on the warranty card, the outdoor condenser model is 3MKD75DVM.

There was no ice forming at the coil yesterday, the aircon was able to produce 10 - 15 mins of cool air before blowing out room temperature air for the next 6 hours.

I'll be turning on the air-con later to monitor the temperature. It should be able to function well for the next few days or so before acting up again.

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In my opinion, your living room area after the removal of the study room is estimated to have an area of 50m2. Taking your ceiling height as 2.8m and temperature difference of 10 degree C, your required Btu is less than 18k Btu. (slightly above 10k Btu).

The MXY-3G28VA is a system 3 condenser, meaning it allows 3 FCUs to be connected to it. And it provides up to a normal capacity of 6kW or 20k Btu. and a max of 8.9kW or 30k Btu. In this case, as you are not installing 3 FCUs (you only need 2 FCUs), you are not using the condenser as it is designed for. However, you are paying for the extra features.

Furthermore, this 20k Btu normal capacity (max. 30k Btu) condenser is above your living room cooling requirement.

In my opinion, it would be good enough to have MXY-2G20VA with normal capacity of 4.8kW or 16k Btu (max 6.3kW or 21.5k Btu) and 2 MSXY-FJ13VE with a 3.5kW each or 11.9k Btu. This will allow you to adjust different coolness for different section when required.

Having a MXY-3G28VA and MSXY-FJ10VE + MSXY-FJ18VE does not allow you to do this.

It will be good if you can place a barrier between the living room (or dinning room) and the kitchen to avoid heat from the kitchen heating up your living room and higher running cost.

If you are still concern about the cooling capacity and capacity of the condenser and FCU selection, you may wish to visit Mitsubishi Electric technical support at their Alexander Road office for advise.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated. Will consider them. As I planned to knock down my kitchen wall.

bluegum

Reaction score
Hi dachee, I have read through the posts and your knowledge about air cons is really very impressive! I am thinking of following your suggestion of installing a single split air con for the master bedroom as the other two rooms are unoccupied until i have kids. If I install an additional condenser in the future, would it be very troublesome for the running of the pipes? My home allows maximum of 2 condensers. Thank you!

perspex

Reaction score
Hi,

What price did you pay for it and what materials were used? Any warranty given for the installation? It is good to keep "good" contractor.

Hello. I paid $650 to have 2 aircon units relocated from Paya Lebar to Toa Payoh. I was quoted $800 by another company, and $1300 by Daikin.

I am not sure what materials were used. But the aircons (18000 btu and 9000 btu) are working well so far.

I didn't ask for any warranty. But their personnel told me if there is any water leakage over these few days, then I can feel free to contact them. He said if there is no leakage over these few days, then everything should go smoothly thereafter.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi,

Based on the warranty card, the outdoor condenser model is 3MKD75DVM.

There was no ice forming at the coil yesterday, the aircon was able to produce 10 - 15 mins of cool air before blowing out room temperature air for the next 6 hours.

I'll be turning on the air-con later to monitor the temperature. It should be able to function well for the next few days or so before acting up again.

Hi,

What I am trying to get at earlier was to find out whether the compressor or fan capacitor is faulty.

But it does not seem that way.

There are more detail analysis of the problem and it will be too much to discuss here.

Attached is Daikin's service manual which you may wish reading it to help you on this problem : http://www.file.thermotrade.ru/tech...ERVICE/SM_Si12-714_3MXD68BVMA8_4MXD80BVMA.pdf

However, there are some work that the professionals are needed to resolve it.

Last edited:

wizardundo

Reaction score
Hi,

What I am trying to get at early was to find out whether the compressor or fan capacitor is faulty.

But it does not seem that way.

There are more detail analysis of the problem and it will be too much to discuss here.

Attached is Daikin's service manual which you may wish read to help you on this problem : http://www.file.thermotrade.ru/tech...ERVICE/SM_Si12-714_3MXD68BVMA8_4MXD80BVMA.pdf

However, there are some work that the professionals are needed to resolve it.

Hi,

Thanks, seems the aircon is not going to work today as well. It has provided 10 mins of coolness and now it's just blowing normal air.

I will have Daikin personal to take a look at it next week after the holidays.

Merry Christmas in advance, cheers!

dachee

Reaction score
Hi dachee, I have read through the posts and your knowledge about air cons is really very impressive! I am thinking of following your suggestion of installing a single split air con for the master bedroom as the other two rooms are unoccupied until i have kids. If I install an additional condenser in the future, would it be very troublesome for the running of the pipes? My home allows maximum of 2 condensers. Thank you!

Hi,

Thks for the compliment.

The other 2 FCUs that you install in the future will have their own liquid and gas pipes (the small copper pipe is for the gas in liquid phase and the bigger pipe is for the gas in gaseous phase) and drain pipes as well as electrical wiring all enclosed in a plastic conduit or trucking within its room.

However, as the conduit gets closer to the condenser, they would likely meet each other some where along the way, and at this point, you would likely have 2 conduit, one for the current single split and another for the future 2 FCUs and its condenser.

This may not look nice to some people.

However, some people would box these conduit up within a cornice box or you canrequest the future installer to change the current conduit to a bigger one that can house all the pipes from the 3 FCUs.

There is no difficulties in running the pipes in future.

When you have kids in future, it may take some times before your kids sleep in their own room. This may take another 5 years or more.

dachee

Reaction score
Quick check with experts here. I just ordered Daikin Smile series system 3 for my 3 rooms BTO. 2 units x 9000BTU for bedrooms and 1 unit x 18000BTU for living room. My question is: Can the condenser unit MKS65QVMG with capacity of 21200BTU support this configuration? Thanks in advance.

Hi

According to the spec at: http://www.daikin.com.sg/images/media/5_TICKS_SMILE_SERIES_MAXIMUM_EFFICIENCY.pdf

yes, the condenser can support this configuration.

However, the MKS65 having a normal capacity of 21.2k Btu and max of 34.4k Btu has connections for 4 FCUs.

Your total FCUs capacity is 2 X 8530 Btu (Daikin don't have 9k Btu FCU) + 17060 Btu (Daikin don't have 18k Btu) = 34120 Btu. This is just below the max capacity of the condenser at 34.4k Btu. Note that the condenser will be running at full capacity with all FCUs turned on.

Depending on the shape of your living room, you may wish to have two 8530 Btu FCUs instead of one 17060 Btu FCU. This will help to cool your living room faster as well as giving a more balanced cooling. With two FCUs, you have a better option of direct cooling for certain sections of your living room by directing the louvers toward that area.

Having two FCUs for the living room may cost a little more for installation and one more FCU but the benefit out weight the extra cost. You also have the option of using only one FCU in the living room if your comfort temperature is not high and in that situation, running the FCUs in your room will not place the condenser in full running capacity.

The above are my option and hope that they are helpful

dachee

Reaction score
Hello. I paid $650 to have 2 aircon units relocated from Paya Lebar to Toa Payoh. I was quoted $800 by another company, and $1300 by Daikin.

I am not sure what materials were used. But the aircons (18000 btu and 9000 btu) are working well so far.

I didn't ask for any warranty. But their personnel told me if there is any water leakage over these few days, then I can feel free to contact them. He said if there is no leakage over these few days, then everything should go smoothly thereafter.

Hi,

$650 for two FCUs is reasonable but it depends greatly on the materials used and also that the installer comply to the manufacturer's installation requirement.

All installation with new materials should come with at least a one year warranty. All new liquid and gas pipes should not have brazed joint unless proper leak and pressure tests as well as proper purging are done.

The above are my opinion and hope they are helpful.

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
Hi,

Why get a 2 ticks StarMEX when there is 4 ticks system 1 (also called single split)

Should be below $1k. including installation in HDB and with materials according to manufacturer's requirement and some even better.

The 4 tick u say is the 5 tick model? Most places selling two and five tick models only if I'm not wrong.. the 5 tick model is more than 1k. Even the 2 tick one most r slightly above 1k hence asking for lobang.. u have any recommendations?

perspex

Reaction score
Hi,

$650 for two FCUs is reasonable but it depends greatly on the materials used and also that the installer comply to the manufacturer's installation requirement.

All installation with new materials should come with at least a one year warranty. All new liquid and gas pipes should not have brazed joint unless proper leak and pressure tests as well as proper purging are done.

The above are my opinion and hope they are helpful.

I wasn't aware of all these things. Should have come over to this forum to check with you!

I did see them use a Bunsen flame to weld some things. But I didn't know what was it for. Neither do I know if they use any new chemicals. I didn't ask for any warranty too.

In my case, the air cons were already taken down at Paya Lebar. So they just need to bring over the units and install them at my new place. So maybe it's cheaper that way. But the Daikin company guys quoted me $1300, and I thought that was crazy.

Overall, my experience with the company that I engaged is rather good. They said it will be good to service the aircons twice a year. I will probably go with them.

dachee

Reaction score
The 4 tick u say is the 5 tick model? Most places selling two and five tick models only if I'm not wrong.. the 5 tick model is more than 1k. Even the 2 tick one most r slightly above 1k hence asking for lobang.. u have any recommendations?

Hi,

The StarMEX single split 4 ticks is MSY-GE10VA / MUY-GE10VA. It is not a 5 ticks model. Search the internet, you should be able to come a cross some dealers selling this model combination at less than $1k include installation. Good to invite the installer to view the location of the FCU and condenser as some installation can be very straight forward due to the proximity of these two components.

However, there is a proximity limitation on how close these two components can be. Check the installation spec. and ensure that the installer add addition length of pipes if needed to meet the requirement.

In my opinion, it is always best to change all your pipes and wires when replacing your air conditioner with a new one.

NEVER NEVER accept brazing joint with new pipes. This is because, in Singapore, brazing is done without the use of nitrogen by many irresponsible installers. This leaves impurities in the pipes that are likely to cause components failure and expensive repair in future.

Get more information on this at: https://youtu.be/YcLoLbr3WSE

At times, you may have very irresponsible installer insisting on brazing a joint and in such situation, you have to insist that he do it with nitrogen or other ways without brazing.

As you are paying for new pipes, there should be no reason for the installer to joint the pipes. New pipes (coils) come in length of 15m, which is sufficient for most installation.

It is therefore important that you observe the installer when they insert the pipes into the insulation to check whether they had done any brazing on these pipes ( they do it to safe cost by jointing left over pipes collected from other installation). Once they insert the pipes into the insulation, it is difficult to inspect for brazing joints. So, inform the installer that you wish to inspect the pipes before they insert it into the insulation.

You will be at the losing end if you accept brazing joints. You have your right to insist that they use completely new pipes (coils).

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of all these things. Should have come over to this forum to check with you!

I did see them use a Bunsen flame to weld some things. But I didn't know what was it for. Neither do I know if they use any new chemicals. I didn't ask for any warranty too.

In my case, the air cons were already taken down at Paya Lebar. So they just need to bring over the units and install them at my new place. So maybe it's cheaper that way. But the Daikin company guys quoted me $1300, and I thought that was crazy.

Overall, my experience with the company that I engaged is rather good. They said it will be good to service the aircons twice a year. I will probably go with them.

When they mentioned service twice a year, are they referring to cleaning or servicing?

dachee

Reaction score
I am not sure. Should be servicing, I suppose. May I know what is the average price for servicing pls?

Hi,

It will be good to ask for a written job scope for the "servicing". Most air conditioner companies use the word servicing but in actual they only do cleaning job.

Such work can be done by anyone without the need for skill, even maids can also do it.

Now with easy clean in most models, cleaning is now easier.

So, ask for the job scope and quote.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
am i right that if your house has an old aircon system and I wish to upgrade. price will be more expensive than the prices on display?

is panasonic system 3 any good?

I'm using panasonic system 2 new 4 tick model CS-XS9RKZW x2/CU-2XS18RKZ got some issue with the nanoe g noise had replace the outlet twice but noise came back again after few weeks. not sure if older model have this problem or not. think old model is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.