Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kangjihh

Reaction score
Hi,

If I am not wrong, the window unit air conditioner uses a 15A 3 pin plug, those rounded pins, not rectangle pins.

Though, some split unit air conditioners (lower capacity units) use only 10 A according to their specification, it is normal to have a 20A power point so that there is not mistake of connecting a higher capacity unit to it.

Different amperes power points would need to have different:
1. Overload breaker
2. Wires size
3. Isolator switch

In the event that you use a 15A power point for a 20A load, eg an air conditioner that uses 20A, then you will have frequent tripping of the breaker and also the possibility of your wires overheating.

It is good to do it once and do it right the first time.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful
Bro, you are right! Round pin! Hahaha

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 3 using GAGT

dachee

Reaction score
I have decided to get either the MKS65QVMG or the MKS80QVMG. Will I be overloading the MKS65QVMG if I turn on 3 units in the future?

Hi,

The MKS65 has a normal capacity of 6.2kW (range of 1.71 to 10.1).
The CTKS25 has a capacity of 2.5kW.

In my opinion, your master bedroom only needs 1.23kW
and the other 2 bedrooms each need 1.022kW each

Meaning that it is unlikely for you to run your system to full capacity as your rooms do not need this to have its heat fully removed to the temperature of 21 degree C.

21 degree C is way too cold for most people.

From the above the rooms total capacity is 1.23+(1.022X2) = 3.27kW which is still much lower than 6.2kW

Therefore, your combination of MKS65 + three CTKS25 should be alright.

BTW, with these room sizes, you will likely feel the direct flow of cold air coming from the air conditioner onto your bed and as such, it is likely that you will have a high temperature setting. Direct flow of cold is relatively very cold and long exposure to it can be freezing.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If I am not wrong, the window unit air conditioner uses a 15A 3 pin plug, those rounded pins, not rectangle pins.

Though, some split unit air conditioners (lower capacity units) use only 10 A according to their specification, it is normal to have a 20A power point so that there is not mistake of connecting a higher capacity unit to it.

Different amperes power points would need to have different:
1. Overload breaker
2. Wires size
3. Isolator switch

In the event that you use a 15A power point for a 20A load, eg an air conditioner that uses 20A, then you will have frequent tripping of the breaker and also the possibility of your wires overheating.

It is good to do it once and do it right the first time.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

how many which or system aircon uses 20A?

dachee

Reaction score
how many which or system aircon uses 20A?

It is good to ensure that each air conditioner split unit is connected to a 20A power point. A licensed electrician is required to install the 20A power point.

There are code of practice (COP) that need to be complied.

7akyccc

Reaction score
I would not recommend aircon 101.

Would recommend another company: got our piping wrong, and we had to pay extra for re-boxing: we wanted an air con with larger capacity for our shared room (rm 2 and 3, wall hack), but they got it mixed up with our single room (rm 1).

Claimed that we told them wrongly, and that the bigger air con was for rm 1 and 2, and 3 was a single room. Funny though, that though they claimed that, coz the air con for rm 1 was indicated to be installed on the wall between rm 1 and 2, so it was not possible that that wall be hacked. And we were sure about the room configuration and air con capacity for the rooms during their site survey.

Their mistake cost us an extra $250 as our ID had to re-box up the pipes after hacking, and they refused to even foot half the cost, claiming that's what our ID told them when they went to mark the walls after the first site survey.

dachee

Reaction score
I would not recommend aircon 101.

Would recommend another company: got our piping wrong, and we had to pay extra for re-boxing: we wanted an air con with larger capacity for our shared room (rm 2 and 3, wall hack), but they got it mixed up with our single room (rm 1).

Claimed that we told them wrongly, and that the bigger air con was for rm 1 and 2, and 3 was a single room. Funny though, that though they claimed that, coz the air con for rm 1 was indicated to be installed on the wall between rm 1 and 2, so it was not possible that that wall be hacked. And we were sure about the room configuration and air con capacity for the rooms during their site survey.

Their mistake cost us an extra $250 as our ID had to re-box up the pipes after hacking, and they refused to even foot half the cost, claiming that's what our ID told them when they went to mark the walls after the first site survey.

Hi,

Normally, when you have an ID to renovate your house, it is good to leave all the coordination to your ID. This is because, you would like to have the end result as indicated between you and your ID and any changes to the end result should be the responsibility of your ID who is paid to do the job.

Your ID should supervise the air conditioner installation. Workers cannot be left alone as many "skips" may happen that can result in future system failure with expensive repair.

habsters

Reaction score
Anyone have a rough idea how much should i pay with installation for the Mit Elec system1 9k? The one with 4 ticks (MSY-GE10VA/MUY-GE10VA)

Not into the superstore kinda installers (GC / Best), more towards ppl like GenCool and AJ but not limited to them

dachee

Reaction score
Anyone have a rough idea how much should i pay with installation for the Mit Elec system1 9k? The one with 4 ticks (MSY-GE10VA/MUY-GE10VA)

Not into the superstore kinda installers (GC / Best), more towards ppl like GenCool and AJ but not limited to them

Hi,

May I know what type of house, HDB or private?

dachee

Reaction score
HDB with aircon ledge. BTO

Thanks!

Hi,

Should be less than $1k with materials within manufacturer's requirement. The actual cost of this single split is about $880. Some installer can get is cheaper ($750+) and this help them in their profit margin.

BEWARE

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The FCU features are reasonable but much lesser than the Mitsubishi Electric StarMex models. The FCU noice level is 20 dB which is quite quiet at low speed. StarMex is 19 dB. The condenser is comparable with 4 ticks, inverter and rotary. However for some reason, the 4 ticks given by York has made reference to the year 2014. Don't really know what York mean with this remarks.

If I am not wrong, the specification total capacity is calculated differently from that of Mitsubishi. York only take into consideration the FCU capacity but not the condenser. So for unlimited current property (your house), your 3 FCUs can have 9+9+9, ie 2.4+2.4+2.4 kW giving a total capacity of 7.2 kW (or 24.5k Btu) This is not the capacity that the condenser can support as the MYC021 condenser only has 20.4k Btu. There is no indication as to the distribution of the capacity for each FCU in the specification.

Nevertheless, the 5 ticks StarMex also do not indicate this anymore.

However, the capacity also depends on the setting temperature and other factors like your activity, heating sources, hot air leaking, humidity in the room, etc.

But in reality, your room may not need the 9 k Btu and therefore the 20.4k Btu may be sufficient.

It is therefore good to know the Btu that your room needs.

You may wish to know that the total capacity of 7.2 kW specified by York is based on indoor temperature of 27 degree C DB (dry bulb), 19 degree C WB (wet bulb) and outdoor temperature of 35 degree C DB.

The above are based on technical specification and has no reference to the quality of the product.

Hi Dahee,

Thanks for explaining. Im another party who is considering York with their 2* system 2 for my 4room BTO flat. It seems that on specification, in terms of cooling capacity by condenser, they can churn out more juice than most competitor taking nominal values as comparison. May i put my understanding here and could you help to advise if my understanding is correct?

In order to fully utilize my 2 system 2 of condence C021 and C028 base on rated capacity, i should config my FCU such that:
- C021: 9K + 12K
- C028: 12K + 18K

This is taking into consideration that the sizing has been done.

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
any difference between hiring a BCA-licensed aircon company and not BCA-licensed aircon company?

any difference between hiring a not BCA-licensed aircon company but with a trained BCA installer?

dachee

Reaction score
any difference between hiring a BCA-licensed aircon company and not BCA-licensed aircon company?

any difference between hiring a not BCA-licensed aircon company but with a trained BCA installer?

Hi,

If I am not wrong, BCA licensed air con installer is only required for the installation of air con brackets. It has nothing to do with the installation quality of the air conditioner system.

Below are from BCA:

Stainless steel bracket must be used to support the air-conditioning units in one of the standard methods stipulated in the Building Control Regulations.

Upon completion of the installation, the installer will submit the installation report to HDB if the air-conditioning unit is installed in an HDB flat or BCA if it is installed in a non-HDB flat.

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
Hi,

If I am not wrong, BCA licensed air con installer is only required for the installation of air con brackets. It has nothing to do with the installation quality of the air conditioner system.

Below are from BCA:

Stainless steel bracket must be used to support the air-conditioning units in one of the standard methods stipulated in the Building Control Regulations.

Upon completion of the installation, the installer will submit the installation report to HDB if the air-conditioning unit is installed in an HDB flat or BCA if it is installed in a non-HDB flat.

so u think it's ok to hire non-BCA licensed company to install aircon unit in HDB? (those with pre existing ledge)

Baggio10

Reaction score
No. I meant the new model and brand. Also any other new models that you are comparing it with.

Hi dachee, no actually.

I am looking for any brand which is affordable and trusthworthy for my mum's place.

Thought that panasonic might be a good and affordable brand compared to the market leaders.

Do you have any to recommend?

terumo

Reaction score
The BCA License is for individuals holding the license, its not issued to companies.

terumo

Reaction score
To Baggio10,

Can consider Daikin / Mitsubishi Electric too, but pricing wise, slightly higher then Panasonic.

dachee

Reaction score
so u think it's ok to hire non-BCA licensed company to install aircon unit in HDB? (those with pre existing ledge)

Hi,

It is good to always check with the authority (HDB) in writing.

This is to protect yourself in time of policy change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.