HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #6796

I am planning to replace my Daikin with Mitsubishi Starmex but I am more interested in the cooling capabilities and noise level comparison between the older 2 ticks and newer 5 ticks system.

The brochures tells me the older system is quieter but the newer system cools faster. Between cooling faster and a quieter system, I think a quieter system tips it for me.

I am leaning towards the older 2 ticks system but will make a trip to the showroom to know more before I decide.

Last edited by hanz170; 11-02-2016 at 04:00 PM..
Old 11-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #6797

I have an offer to upgrade the 18k btu fan coil to 24k for $100. This is part of a system 4 for the living room. My place is a 4 room unit but with no door between the kitchen and living room.

My concern is at energy saving mode the 24k will consume
More power than the 18k one. So the long term running cost will be very high.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #6798

Hi all, looking for help on getting a new aircon to replace old one (about 10 years). I stay in a 5 room HDB, living room and dining area combined into one large area. I got a quote from "Tim Wong" who is active on renotalk forum. Wondering if anyone can help in the below.

1. Anyone has any experience with "Tim Wong" from renotalk? Seems to feature quite prominently there - not many reviews but those that I saw seems to be generally positive, didn't see any bad reviews.

2. He quoted the following:

===
Option 1 (5 ticks energy efficiency)

System 4 One Outdoor Condensor (For 3 bedroom 1 living-dining hall) with Compressor Capacity 28,000 btu- 5 ticks energy saving--Estimated $650 yearly electricity bill (based on NEA Test 8 hrs usage @ 25
degree temperature)

Mitsubishi Electric Starmex Inverter 2015 New model- $4,599

MXY-4G28VA/ MSXY-FJ10 (9,000 btu) x 3 + MSXY-FJ24 (24,000 btu) x 1
===

He also quoted a few other models which are cheaper by $600 - $700 from MHI, Daikin and ME starmex but which are only 2-3 ticks energy efficiency. Any thoughts - was thinking of getting the above Option 1 but i thought to ask if anyone here got any feedback/comments.

Thank you!
I used Tim for his service few weeks back. Overall is a pleasant experience dealing with him and his workers. Mine is York System 4.
Old 13-02-2016, 01:54 AM   #6799

I used Tim for his service few weeks back. Overall is a pleasant experience dealing with him and his workers. Mine is York System 4.
Thanks! Good to know. York? Never heard of that brand though...
Old 13-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #6800

10 btu 3 units
24 btu 1 unit for living room
28 compressor. Starmex 5 ticks

Does that mean that once I on my living rom unit, the other room can't be turned on?
Can turn on, but no cold. Not enough capacity.

U can turn on with sufficient capacity for either all 3 bed rooms or Living room only.
Old 13-02-2016, 02:05 AM   #6801

Thanks! Good to know. York? Never heard of that brand though...
York mostly do commercial unit. Those huge compressor install on the roof.
Most smokers will know. lol becoz smoke on the roof too often.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #6802

To the_gryffindor,
24k btu will consumer lesser energy then the 18k btu assuming they cut off the compressor faster.

Having a undersized unit will consume more energy.
Old 13-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #6803

Hi all, looking for help on getting a new aircon to replace old one (about 10 years). I stay in a 5 room HDB, living room and dining area combined into one large area. I got a quote from "Tim Wong" who is active on renotalk forum. Wondering if anyone can help in the below.

1. Anyone has any experience with "Tim Wong" from renotalk? Seems to feature quite prominently there - not many reviews but those that I saw seems to be generally positive, didn't see any bad reviews.

2. He quoted the following:

===
Option 1 (5 ticks energy efficiency)

System 4 One Outdoor Condensor (For 3 bedroom 1 living-dining hall) with Compressor Capacity 28,000 btu- 5 ticks energy saving--Estimated $650 yearly electricity bill (based on NEA Test 8 hrs usage @ 25
degree temperature)

Mitsubishi Electric Starmex Inverter 2015 New model- $4,599

MXY-4G28VA/ MSXY-FJ10 (9,000 btu) x 3 + MSXY-FJ24 (24,000 btu) x 1
===

He also quoted a few other models which are cheaper by $600 - $700 from MHI, Daikin and ME starmex but which are only 2-3 ticks energy efficiency. Any thoughts - was thinking of getting the above Option 1 but i thought to ask if anyone here got any feedback/comments.

Thank you!
Hey guys, anyone else with any feedback or comments? Seem that 28degree got positive experience with Tim Wong.
Old 13-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #6804
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone have any creative ways to hide a pipe that must go under a structural beam which runs across the house? (Can't drill through that)
Old 13-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #6805
Arch-Supremacy Member

also, any airconditioning companies that will also do false ceiling/fale wall to hide the pipings?
Old 15-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #6806

Hi all,

Im in dilemma right now. 2weeks ago, went to IMM to survey aircon for my 5room resale flat. After some "powerful" sales talk from a B*** T*** salemans, hurriedly paid/booked deposit $300 for the new LG(4 ticks) Sys 3 price at$2699. It was on sale then, thus was afraid the sale ends.
Insulation is their so called "signature" Yamato 3/8 while other items are pretty standard.

1) After reading horror stories in the web abt B*** T***, im now thinking should I forfeit the $300 deposit and buy from other companies? Current flat using Fujitsu Sys 2 installed by GC almost 4yrs ago. So far so good with 1 or 2 times yearly servicing.

2) This Yamato insulation by B*** T***. Cant find much info abt it on the web. So are they trying to bs us consumers? Even saleman from GC said, its only them who re using this product while others are using those test-proven Armaflex & whatever-flex all this while.

3) LG aircon... anyone hv experience with this brand? Its made in korea and with 4 ticks. So I tot should be ok rite?

4) Now wifey, want to put aircon in living area and study rm. So I tot adding another Sys 2 on top of the Sys 3. Is this config ok? What other brands should I look at?

But most important, anyone hv experience with B*** T***? So issit? Was thinking also, if they were that BAD! They are still ard after all these years what? So should be ok rite?
Old 15-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #6807

some/almost all Daikin unit are switching to R32 which I google and found it to be 'mildly flammable' and its toxic if burnt although its more ozone friendly. I guess I need to settle for Starmex but the 2/4/5 ticks, I very blur, anyone can enlighten, is it more tick the better energy/money saving. Let's say 8hrs per day for 365 days, choose how many ticks better?

if there's not much difference for the different ticks, I can consider other brands as well.

Last edited by guyferic; 15-02-2016 at 09:37 AM..
Old 15-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #6808

Hi all,

Im in dilemma right now. 2weeks ago, went to IMM to survey aircon for my 5room resale flat. After some "powerful" sales talk from a B*** T*** salemans, hurriedly paid/booked deposit $300 for the new LG(4 ticks) Sys 3 price at$2699. It was on sale then, thus was afraid the sale ends.
Insulation is their so called "signature" Yamato 3/8 while other items are pretty standard.

1) After reading horror stories in the web abt B*** T***, im now thinking should I forfeit the $300 deposit and buy from other companies? Current flat using Fujitsu Sys 2 installed by GC almost 4yrs ago. So far so good with 1 or 2 times yearly servicing.

2) This Yamato insulation by B*** T***. Cant find much info abt it on the web. So are they trying to bs us consumers? Even saleman from GC said, its only them who re using this product while others are using those test-proven Armaflex & whatever-flex all this while.

3) LG aircon... anyone hv experience with this brand? Its made in korea and with 4 ticks. So I tot should be ok rite?

4) Now wifey, want to put aircon in living area and study rm. So I tot adding another Sys 2 on top of the Sys 3. Is this config ok? What other brands should I look at?

But most important, anyone hv experience with B*** T***? So issit? Was thinking also, if they were that BAD! They are still ard after all these years what? So should be ok rite?
My MHI was installed by them 6 years ago. Still working fine. Horror stories are just stories.
Old 15-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #6809

To guyferic,
The higher number of ticks = better energy efficiency.
You can check NEA website for a estimated range of energy consumption amount.
Site URL https://e-services.nea.gov.sg/els/Pa...m=goods&type=p
Old 15-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #6810

To guyferic,
The higher number of ticks = better energy efficiency.
You can check NEA website for a estimated range of energy consumption amount.
Site URL https://e-services.nea.gov.sg/els/Pa...m=goods&type=p
I read through the treads and with the new tick system, the 4 ticks in the past is now only 2 ticks and I dont see many ppl talking abt the 5 ticks, most just settle for 2/4 ticks so I dont know if its worth it to get the 5 ticks at abt $500+ difference in pricing.
Aircon is consider expensive item so must ask more qns. sorry for the troublesome.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.