Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachee

Reaction score
We preferred to have two compressors, one for living room system 1, the other for all bedrooms System 3. Just in case, if one compressor not working. Any best alternatives?

Hi,

Two condensers, one for living room and the other for bedrooms is good.

But why not have system 2 for the living room rather than single split (ie system 1)?

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Above the door in my opinion may not be an ideal place for the following reasons:

1. The door is normally offset from the centre of the room. As such, the FCU is not able to suck in warm air equally from all corners of the room. This create some hot spots.

2. Having the FCU on one corner of the room, will limit effectiveness of cooling the bed which is where people spend most of the time in the bedroom.

3. Door normally open and close. When door open, warm air, including humid air enters the room. When humid air is in contact with the cold surface of the FCU, water condensation may happen.

4. When the door below the FCU is opened, the FCU fan will suck in the warm air from outside towards the place where it is intended to cool.

5. With the FCU above the door, the drain pipe would need to run horizontally from the FCU to clear the door width before it can run straight down. This allows the accumulation of scum in the slow flowing horizontal pipe. It is good practice to run drain pipe vertically down from the FCU before it is slanted horizontally. This allowed the flow to increase as it drop vertically from the FCU.

6. With the wider 5 ticks FCU, you may have problem centralizing it to the door.

7. Never place a FCU above a toilet door or against a hot wall.

I feel that it is good to place the FCU in such position that it is blowing along the length of the room, able to blow towards the bed, at the centre of the shorter wall, away from the door.

However, there are conflicting understanding if you refer to the geomancy of FCU placement.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Hi thanks for the details. Where will you place the fcu if you will me?

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
I understand in your other posting that the other 3 FCUs are working fine until the one having problem is turned on, and once the defective light blink, all FCUs are down.

If I am not wrong, this is because the system shut down by itself. Have you try just using the other three "good" FCUs for a long period without encountering the problem (ie without turning on the faulty FCU)?

If the other FCUs are working fine, then it is likely that the fault is within the faulty FCU system. Common components are likely not affected.

If this is so, instead of tracing for faulty components, you may wish to shut down the faulty FCU and connect a new single split. You have the choice of using Mitsubishi H I without the need to change the FCU (The can be checked by swapping FCUs) or another brand with new condenser and FCU.

This approach would likely be lesser cost than to change the complete system 4.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

Thank You Mr. DAChee,
this plan sound perfect to me and I like it. But too bad I live in a HDB EM flat at Geylang East Ave Area. I am not sure whelther HDB allow us to install a second split unit. I have seen Tampines HDB flat, HDB allow flat owner to install 2 split unit.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow. i didnt knw it was a bad idea to place fcu directly above doors.

something new i learnt.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the details. Where will you place the fcu if you will me?

Hi,

With reference to your first photo.

1. Master bedroom - no choice, existing placement ok.

2. Bedroom 2 - shift to the left, centre the FCU on the same wall as in photo.

3. Bedroom 3 - shift to the right, centre the FCU on the same wall as in photo.

4. Living room near to bedrooms - shift to the left on the same wall as in photo, as close to the pillar edge but centre it between pillar width and corridor .

5 Living room near window - centre your FCU on the same wall as in photo.

6. Mount the FCUs about 8 ft from the floor.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
Thank You Mr. DAChee,
this plan sound perfect to me and I like it. But too bad I live in a HDB EM flat at Geylang East Ave Area. I am not sure whelther HDB allow us to install a second split unit. I have seen Tampines HDB flat, HDB allow flat owner to install 2 split unit.

Hi,

You can call up HDB to check the number of air conditioner power points allowed for your unit. Most of the time, the officer can give you the answer right away. You may then wish to follow up with a written request for your files.

dachee

Reaction score
wow. i didnt knw it was a bad idea to place fcu directly above doors.

something new i learnt.

Hi,

If you have time, you can also do a short course (part time) at ITE on air conditioning. Course fee is less than $100 after subsidy.

Mannequin Yeo

Reaction score
Hi,

Two condensers, one for living room and the other for bedrooms is good.

But why not have system 2 for the living room rather than single split (ie system 1)?

System 2, are you saying two aircon units for living room? My living room not that big, most recommendation either 18Kor24K BTU should be enough.

I will upload my floor plan. I also intend to place fan coil above doors for bedroom 2 and bedroom 3.

Thank you

dachee

Reaction score
System 2, are you saying two aircon units for living room? My living room not that big, most recommendation either 18Kor24K BTU should be enough.

I will upload my floor plan. I also intend to place fan coil above doors for bedroom 2 and bedroom 3.

Thank you

Maybe you don't even need a 24k Btu unit for your living room. Let see your plan for more detail.

dachee

Reaction score
DIY, All best or Gain city to get air con systems from? Looking at Starmex 5 ticks sys 3

These are just middleman. Not the party who is responsible for the quality of the whole system.

There was a recent posting where a system failed after a few years and after evaluation by the manufacturer, the compressor warranty is voided as a likely cause of poor installation process.

So, look out for a good installer who is will to agree to some of your key check points during the installation process.

For example, how do you know that new coils are used? How do you know that the coil used are not jointed. It is difficult to find these out after the insulation is put over the coil. So your present to do some checks at key installation points are important to ensure quality of your system, the air conditioner unit is only a part of the whole system.

Last edited:

thecat21

Reaction score
I just bought an LG System 3 today.

A4UQ26 Compressor
AMNC09
AMNC12(free upgrade from AMNC09)
AMNC18

Including all parts warranty for 5yrs.
Including workmanship warranty for 5yrs.

Armaflex Class-10 3/8"
Copper 23 swg
Drainpipe 16mm + 13mm
one-time Installation

Total $2,7xx

Would like any opinion if this is a good buy or if there are better deals out there. Especially any comments regarding the pipe + insulation specs.

dachee

Reaction score
I just bought an LG System 3 today.

A4UQ26 Compressor
AMNC09
AMNC12(free upgrade from AMNC09)
AMNC18

Including all parts warranty for 5yrs.
Including workmanship warranty for 5yrs.

Armaflex Class-10 3/8"
Copper 23 swg
Drainpipe 16mm + 13mm
one-time Installation

Total $2,7xx

Would like any opinion if this is a good buy or if there are better deals out there. Especially any comments regarding the pipe + insulation specs.

May I know what do you mean by drain pipe 16mm +13mm?

Mannequin Yeo

Reaction score
Aircon trunking plan

Maybe you don't even need a 24k Btu unit for your living room. Let see your plan for more detail.

I was not allow to post image.

My plan

Living Room aircon above the entrance door beam - pipe trunking from TOP to kitchen down straight to yard then to ledge

MBR aircon above toilet door - pipe trunking all inside MBR false ceiling out to ledge

Bedroom 2 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to common toilet false ceiling then to MBR false ceiling to yard then to ledge

Bedroom 3 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to kitchen TOP then down to bottom straight to yard then to ledge

Thank you

Last edited:

AReality

Reaction score
I was so confirmed that I'll be getting the Mitsubishi Starmex system 3 (5 ticks), until one salesman messed with my mind again.

He said the outdoor unit should not be mounted using brackets, as that causes loud vibration noise when operating. And the neighbours will complain. Mounting the unit on a ledge is ok, as the floor is concrete.

The place where I am going to mount is below 1 of my bedroom window, which is also above my bottom neighbour's bedroom window. Due to the design of the block, the noise will definitely be an issue.

He suggested I get the Starmex 2 ticks model instead, or the new LG 5 ticks.

Now I'm back to square one.. :(

Is he right? Or he just wanna sell more LGs?

dachee

Reaction score
I was so confirmed that I'll be getting the Mitsubishi Starmex system 3 (5 ticks), until one salesman messed with my mind again.

He said the outdoor unit should not be mounted using brackets, as that causes loud vibration noise when operating. And the neighbours will complain. Mounting the unit on a ledge is ok, as the floor is concrete.

The place where I am going to mount is below 1 of my bedroom window, which is also above my bottom neighbour's bedroom window. Due to the design of the block, the noise will definitely be an issue.

He suggested I get the Starmex 2 ticks model instead, or the new LG 5 ticks.

Now I'm back to square one.. :(

Is he right? Or he just wanna sell more LGs?

Hi,

There are two factors to be considered regarding noise level from the outdoor unit.

1. Noise level produced from the unit.

2. Noise level produced from the installation mounting method.

For point 1, the 5 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB and is rated up to 59 dB (need to find out what they mean by rated from the technical support team. This model is the only one with the rated reading).

The 2 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB too. And the LG system 3 with 4 connections is 48dB.

As the other models does not show the rated sound level, the 49dB reading will be considered for the 5 ticks.

In comparison, the sound levels for all the 3 models are almost the same.

Another source where sound can be generated is the mounting method of both the outdoor unit bracket to the wall as well as the outdoor unit to the bracket.

An improper mounting not according to manufacturer's requirement and unauthorized personnel installing the mounting bracket can lead to vibration, generating noise.

From the above, the salesperson's recommendation for selecting other brands and models does not make sense.

You may wish to view this video to feel how loud is 49 dB. https://youtu.be/4QAKPvG0P1M

You can also download a free dB meter from Play Store and use this meter to check the sound level of the installed unit with your hand phone.

You may also check with other sales agent / installer to see if they say the same thing. Are there any similar model that are installed around your block? If so, are their neighbours complaining about the sound level?

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
I was not allow to post image.

My plan

Living Room aircon above the entrance door beam - pipe trunking from TOP to kitchen down straight to yard then to ledge

MBR aircon above toilet door - pipe trunking all inside MBR false ceiling out to ledge

Bedroom 2 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to common toilet false ceiling then to MBR false ceiling to yard then to ledge

Bedroom 3 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to kitchen TOP then down to bottom straight to yard then to ledge

Thank you

Hi,

You can sign up for free at: https://imageshack.com/signup to paste your photo and post the link in this forum.

Sendoh07

Reaction score
Hi Dachee,

I am looking to get a System 4 for my new BTO home.

Was recommended MHI where it will have a 27k BTU compressor, with 3x 12k BTU unit and 1x 18k BTU unit for living room.

i have the following question:

1) Any reputable shop which does a good installation work to recommend?

2) is 18k BTU sufficient for living room?

3) Should get ME or MHI?

Thanks a lot!

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

With reference to your first photo.

1. Master bedroom - no choice, existing placement ok.

2. Bedroom 2 - shift to the left, centre the FCU on the same wall as in photo.

3. Bedroom 3 - shift to the right, centre the FCU on the same wall as in photo.

4. Living room near to bedrooms - shift to the left on the same wall as in photo, as close to the pillar edge but centre it between pillar width and corridor .

5 Living room near window - centre your FCU on the same wall as in photo.

6. Mount the FCUs about 8 ft from the floor.

Something like this?

https://imageshack.com/i/pnBxHMdrj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.