Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi Dachee,

I am looking to get a System 4 for my new BTO home.

Was recommended MHI where it will have a 27k BTU compressor, with 3x 12k BTU unit and 1x 18k BTU unit for living room.

i have the following question:

1) Any reputable shop which does a good installation work to recommend?

2) is 18k BTU sufficient for living room?

3) Should get ME or MHI?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

1. Cannot recommend shop because, most shop do not have their own installers. They are linked with installers who are mainly from Malaysia and work as freelance company. So you really need to monitor all work done by them to check that they do it correctly.

2. Need to know your room layout.

3. If I am not wrong, ME has their own office here in Sg as Mitsubishi Electric Asia while MHI air conditioner is marketed by a distribution company (KM Capital Group) who does not manufacture the product.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

AReality

Reaction score
Hi,

There are two factors to be considered regarding noise level from the outdoor unit.

1. Noise level produced from the unit.

2. Noise level produced from the installation mounting method.

For point 1, the 5 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB and is rated up to 59 dB (need to find out what they mean by rated from the technical support team. This model is the only one with the rated reading).

The 2 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB too. And the LG system 3 with 4 connections is 48dB.

As the other models does not show the rated sound level, the 49dB reading will be considered for the 5 ticks.

In comparison, the sound levels for all the 3 models are almost the same.

Another source where sound can be generated is the mounting method of both the outdoor unit bracket to the wall as well as the outdoor unit to the bracket.

An improper mounting not according to manufacturer's requirement and unauthorized personnel installing the mounting bracket can lead to vibration, generating noise.

From the above, the salesperson's recommendation for selecting other brands and models does not make sense.

You may wish to view this video to feel how loud is 49 dB. https://youtu.be/4QAKPvG0P1M

You can also download a free dB meter from Play Store and use this meter to check the sound level of the installed unit with your hand phone.

You may also check with other sales agent / installer to see if they say the same thing. Are there any similar model that are installed around your block? If so, are their neighbours complaining about the sound level?

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.
Thanks!

I'm not concert about the noise level from the unit itself.
The salesman was talking about the vibration noise from the unit caused by mounting on the brackets. He says that there will be no problem on concrete ledge.

Mine's a resale flat, and all my neighbours have old air con units. He says only the new starmex 5 ticks has this problem, the 2 ticks does not have the vibration problem.

Is he trying to smoke me?
Now I'm back to LG as my 1st choice.

Mannequin Yeo

Reaction score
Hi,

You can sign up for free at: https://imageshack.com/signup to paste your photo and post the link in this forum.

https://imageshack.com/my/images

My AIRCON TRUNKING plan

Living Room aircon SYSTEM 1 above the entrance door beam - pipe trunking from TOP to kitchen down straight to yard then to ledge

SYSTEM 3 for all bedrooms

MBR aircon above toilet door - pipe trunking all inside MBR false ceiling out to ledge

Bedroom 2 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to common toilet false ceiling then to MBR false ceiling to yard then to ledge

Bedroom 3 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to kitchen TOP then down to bottom straight to yard then to ledge

Thank you

Last edited:

Sendoh07

Reaction score
Hi,

1. Cannot recommend shop because, most shop do not have their own installers. They are linked with installers who are mainly from Malaysia and work as freelance company. So you really need to monitor all work done by them to check that they do it correctly.

2. Need to know your room layout.

3. If I am not wrong, ME has their own office here in Sg as Mitsubishi Electric Asia while MHI air conditioner is marketed by a distribution company (KM Capital Group) who does not manufacture the product.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

Hi Dachee, thanks for your prompt response, attached is my floorplan

As you can see my living / dinning area is L shape, possible to propose ideal location for aircon?

GIPlOC.jpg

dachee

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm not concert about the noise level from the unit itself.
The salesman was talking about the vibration noise from the unit caused by mounting on the brackets. He says that there will be no problem on concrete ledge.

Mine's a resale flat, and all my neighbours have old air con units. He says only the new starmex 5 ticks has this problem, the 2 ticks does not have the vibration problem.

Is he trying to smoke me?
Now I'm back to LG as my 1st choice.

Hi,

You may wish to talk to other company selling the same model. Is this company authorized dealer of ME? You can check at: http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.s...ed-distributors-dealers-list/air-conditioning

His reasoning is not logical, make no sense.

gctmls

Reaction score
Happy new year to all, currently living in a old 4 room hdb flat and looking for a new 3 system air condition as the current one at home is a little too old.

Would like to check with everyone which model is the best value for money in the market right now? Not a daily user, usually only turn on the air conditioner when the weather is too unbearable.

Thanks for the inputs in advance :)

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score

Thanks.. One more thing, is it true that a 5 tick model may not actually save that much electricity? Was told that the cooling capacity for 5 tick model is lesser and it take a longer time to cool the room. Was recommended to get 2 ticks. In addition, at night I be just turning on one room, so there is not much saving in tern of 2 and 5 tick

terumo

Reaction score
Can consider the Daikin 4 ticks system 3 model 3mks50fsg.

Happy new year to all, currently living in a old 4 room hdb flat and looking for a new 3 system air condition as the current one at home is a little too old.

Would like to check with everyone which model is the best value for money in the market right now? Not a daily user, usually only turn on the air conditioner when the weather is too unbearable.

Thanks for the inputs in advance :)

terumo

Reaction score
For Mitsubishi, the 5 ticks & 2 ticks btu capacity is the same.
For Daikin, 5 ticks btu capacity is higher then their 3/4 ticks.

Thanks.. One more thing, is it true that a 5 tick model may not actually save that much electricity? Was told that the cooling capacity for 5 tick model is lesser and it take a longer time to cool the room. Was recommended to get 2 ticks. In addition, at night I be just turning on one room, so there is not much saving in tern of 2 and 5 tick

Quantom

Reaction score
Cooling capacity is different though.

Suppose you're referring to the COP? From what I've seen on the Daikin condenser specs, R32 units with the smallest cooling capacities come with the highest COP values.

It looks like COP starts dropping as the rated cooling capacity of the condenser starts increasing.

In my quick analysis of the Daikin site, it looks like the number of ticks is proportional to the COP of the condenser, so I'm not so sure it's so correct to say that a 2-tick system will make little difference compared to a 5-tick system of equivalent capacity in terms of electricity savings.

Someone with a little more experience should probably chime in here.

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have question for aircon at old hdb built on 1997. The flat doesn't have concrete aircon ledge like new hdb. It use steel bracket to mount the external unit.

What is the limitation of this aircon ledge?

Most of my friend recommend MItsubishi starmex brand with 2 tick. Is there other recommendation? I prefer quieter external unit since it is mount outside the master room.

feitz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi. anyone got comment about cool-serve air con installation service? thanks!

dachee

Reaction score
hi. anyone got comment about cool-serve air con installation service? thanks!

Hi,

The below are what I found out but not limited at: http://airconquotations.com/coolserve/

1. "Only 1 unit of our aircon is spoilt. Your guys came and told us that the wire connecting to that particular aircon is spolit. Actually we only need to change 1 wire but your guys advised to change 2. We said ok since the other wire is also old. So after changing the 2 wires, the spolit unit is working but another good unit ended up not working. Your guys told us the third wire is broken. But our third wire is NEW! We JUST changed it. Your guys said we have to fork out more money for the third wire if not our originally good unit will not work! What kind of ******** this is?! I was not around and my mum went ahead to pay for the third wire as she doesnt know what to do. BAD SERVICE"

2. "To Whom It May Concern,We would like to submit a complaint about your services for CFJ Management Pte Ltd.Here are the facts of the matter as we know it:1) Our old air-conditioner unit, registered in the old contract, was malfunctioning and we were advised that it was not cost effective to repair it. Hence, it was dismantled and no longer in use for a period of time. 2) When your service staff came to do the maintenance, we said they did not have to service the malfunctioning unit. However, they insisted they had to wash it, and could repair the unit but it required a special type of chemical wash that required us to pay an extra fee on top of it. We did not want to engage this service, but your staff kept insisting on it. 3) As per our contract, 2 more units on the 2nd floor were supposed to be serviced by your staff as well. 4) Since we did not want to engage the extra services for the malfunctioning unit, your staff refused to service the 2 units on the second floor and did not come for the past 2 scheduled dates as well. 5) We have since engaged another vendor to replace the malfunctioning unit.Now, your staff are pestering my colleague to sign a new contract for the new air conditioning unit which replaced the old one, and an extra cash fee will have to be paid on top of the contractual fee. At the current date, your company owes us1) An apology for insisting on a service my company did not ask for.2) Scheduled services for 6 airconditioning units (2 on the second floor, and 1 on the 3rd floor, for 2 visits)How could you expect us to continue our contract with you in the light of such a turn of events?"

dachee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have question for aircon at old hdb built on 1997. The flat doesn't have concrete aircon ledge like new hdb. It use steel bracket to mount the external unit.

What is the limitation of this aircon ledge?

Most of my friend recommend MItsubishi starmex brand with 2 tick. Is there other recommendation? I prefer quieter external unit since it is mount outside the master room.

Hi,

What do you mean by the limitation of the aircon ledge?

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What do you mean by the limitation of the aircon ledge?

Is there any weight limit for this ledge?

Is it possible to install 2 compressor (system 2 for the living room and system 3 for the bedroom)?

The living room is quite big since this is an old resale flat. I'm worry system 4 won't be effective to cool it down.

dachee

Reaction score
Is there any weight limit for this ledge?

Is it possible to install 2 compressor (system 2 for the living room and system 3 for the bedroom)?

The living room is quite big since this is an old resale flat. I'm worry system 4 won't be effective to cool it down.

Hi,

If it is a concrete ledge build for enclosing the air conditioner/s than it should be able to within the weight of the residential air conditioner condenser/s suitable for the house as well as the worker/s working on it.

If I am not wrong, it is:

(c) Access balcony, stairs, landing} 3.0kN/m²
and lift lobby }

3kN/m2 is about 300kgf/m2

The above information is from : http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/11-hdb-requirements-for-aa-work-on-hdb-premises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.