Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If it is a concrete ledge build for enclosing the air conditioner/s than it should be able to within the weight of the residential air conditioner condenser/s suitable for the house as well as the worker/s working on it.

If I am not wrong, it is:

(c) Access balcony, stairs, landing} 3.0kN/m²
and lift lobby }

3kN/m2 is about 300kgf/m2

The above information is from : http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/11-hdb-requirements-for-aa-work-on-hdb-premises

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Actually, my old flat is with steel bracket to support the aircon. It doesn't have concrete ledge like new hdb.

If I plan to change with the new aircon, can I still use 2 compressor? The current steel bracket is only enough to support 1 compressor.

Do I need to reinstall the bracket? or can I straight away use the existing steel bracket? I have not receive the key for my resale flat but I plan my budget for next time.

Thank you once again.

dachee

Reaction score
Suppose you're referring to the COP? From what I've seen on the Daikin condenser specs, R32 units with the smallest cooling capacities come with the highest COP values.

It looks like COP starts dropping as the rated cooling capacity of the condenser starts increasing.

In my quick analysis of the Daikin site, it looks like the number of ticks is proportional to the COP of the condenser, so I'm not so sure it's so correct to say that a 2-tick system will make little difference compared to a 5-tick system of equivalent capacity in terms of electricity savings.

Someone with a little more experience should probably chime in here.

Hi,

COP (coefficient of performance) is the relationship between the output energy against the input energy. The higher the COP, the better is the efficiency of the system.

The number of ticks on the energy label is related to the COP value. So the higher the COP, the more the number of ticks on the energy label.

Capacity of the air conditioner is the amount of heat that the system can remove within a specific time. This is related to the compressor and condenser coil size.

The larger the compressor, the more refrigerant it can process at a given time, while the larger the condenser coil the greater amount of heat can be removed from the coil.

As such there are all kinds of combination of COP (number of ticks) and capacity in air conditioners.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Actually, my old flat is with steel bracket to support the aircon. It doesn't have concrete ledge like new hdb.

If I plan to change with the new aircon, can I still use 2 compressor? The current steel bracket is only enough to support 1 compressor.

Do I need to reinstall the bracket? or can I straight away use the existing steel bracket? I have not receive the key for my resale flat but I plan my budget for next time.

Thank you once again.

Hi,

You would need on bracket for each condenser. Installation of air conditioner bracket should be done by BCA licensed installer.

"When you need to install/retrofit your air-conditioning unit, you must always engage a trained installer to do so.

A trained installer is a person who has passed a training course for installing air-conditioning supports at the BCA Academy."

https://www.bca.gov.sg/airconlegislation/images/pass.jpg

More information is available at:

https://www.bca.gov.sg/airconlegislation/aircon_worker.html

As you are installing two system, it would be good that you check with HDB whether your house is allowed to install two power points. Each condenser needs one power point. If only one power point is allowed for you house, you would than need to install a system with only one condenser.

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone has comments over MHI of ME starmex?

MHI seem to have more features like ionizer which is good to have.

dachee

Reaction score
Anyone has comments over MHI of ME starmex?

MHI seem to have more features like ionizer which is good to have.

Hi,

Is ionizer good or bad for health?

If good then ok.

If bad, then you will breath it in every time when you use the air conditioner. So need to make the right choice from the start.

You can do some internet search on "Is ionizer harmful?"

Last edited:

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is ionizer good or bad for health?

If good then ok.

If bad, then you will breath it in every time when you use the air conditioner. So need to make the right choice from the start.

You can do some internet search on "Is ionizer harmful?"

Ok. Thanks. Might go for LG system 2 for living room due to asethic.

Bedroom either starmex or mhi

jason910

Master Member
Reaction score
Need some advice from here. Which Mitsubishi Electric aircon did you guys go for? Which model number? I am planning on daikin smile series until I realise that 5 ticks aircon system models will take much longer time to cool.

Which model number for ME did u guys got? How's your experience thus far thanks.

dachee

Reaction score
Need some advice from here. Which Mitsubishi Electric aircon did you guys go for? Which model number? I am planning on daikin smile series until I realise that 5 ticks aircon system models will take much longer time to cool.

Which model number for ME did u guys got? How's your experience thus far thanks.

Hi,

What was it that you found out and compare with, about Daikin 5 ticks that made you conclude that it takes much longer time to cool?

jason910

Master Member
Reaction score
I went to a few shops and those mega electric stores all told me because of the 5 ticks that saves energy etc the aircon will take a longer time to cool your room etc because the compressor will consume lesser energy etc. i read somewhere in here some folks mentioned the same thing also. i could be wrong.

Anyway i am doing some research on Mitsubishi electric aircon system 4. Can I know what is the difference between the Starmex MSY series, Starmex MSXY series and the Starmex EF series. In this thread most would recommend the FJ series.

Hi,

What was it that you found out and compare with, about Daikin 5 ticks that made you conclude that it takes much longer time to cool?

Last edited:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For point 1, the 5 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB and is rated up to 59 dB (need to find out what they mean by rated from the technical support team. This model is the only one with the rated reading).

The 2 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB too. And the LG system 3 with 4 connections is 48dB.

As the other models does not show the rated sound level, the 49dB reading will be considered for the 5 ticks.

To be low in dB count is also just one part of the story, noise signature also plays a part. A low pitch hum is much more tolerable than a mid/high pitch whine

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi. anyone got comment about cool-serve air con installation service? thanks!

I dun have problem with them when my parents place replace their old aircon (using back the old pipes). installation is swift and they even clean up the area for us before leaving.

Price may not be the lowest but I find still ok. May consider using them again when I get my house keys in 1-2 mths time.

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
Hi Dachee,

I am looking to get a System 4 for my new BTO home.

Was recommended MHI where it will have a 27k BTU compressor, with 3x 12k BTU unit and 1x 18k BTU unit for living room.

i have the following question:

1) Any reputable shop which does a good installation work to recommend?

2) is 18k BTU sufficient for living room?

3) Should get ME or MHI?

Thanks a lot!

Below is my experience to share with you

I have a system 4 MHI using for 3.5 years. Now having problems cannot turn on, lights on the fan coil have orange blink four times follow by lights in green & orange blink 4 times and this repeat itself again and again.
Have 4 contractors to check and everyone told me a different faults
First one told me gas NOT enough, very confident. After refilling gas, problems still exists
Second one told me gas value cannot open fully, after changing, problems still exists
Third one told me Thermostat spoilt, after changing, problems still exists
Four one ( also the SOLE AGENT told me the dirt inside the gas pipe that block the gas flow fully, Charge me $80 SDG for troubleshooting ONLY. NOT repair done, if repair, this $80 cannot take into account.
Very bad experience.
Please do not buy Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air con for this model. SOLE AGENT office very PROUD guy.
This is the model, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL, only last 3.5 years
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
PLEASE DO NOT BUY, bad after sales support from their SOLE AGENT. Very PROUD PROUD attuide.

dachee

Reaction score
To be low in dB count is also just one part of the story, noise signature also plays a part. A low pitch hum is much more tolerable than a mid/high pitch whine

Hi,

Yes and no.

It depends on a combination of dB, pitch (frequency) as well as the phon (loudness for pure tone) of the sound. Normally a sound is make up of various pitches, but some pitches can be heard clearer with low dB, while others need higher dB to hear it or in short to reach a perceived loudness of tones.

For the air conditioner, there are certain parts in it that produce sound and this sound are within a certain frequency range. The sound level provided by the manufacturer for each model is based on the set of frequency and any other abnormal would than be considered out of specification or defective parts.

In general, the dB would therefore be sufficient as a standard of sound level in the specification.

mlangelo

Reaction score
Below is my experience to share with you

I have a system 4 MHI using for 3.5 years. Now having problems cannot turn on, lights on the fan coil have orange blink four times follow by lights in green & orange blink 4 times and this repeat itself again and again.
Have 4 contractors to check and everyone told me a different faults
First one told me gas NOT enough, very confident. After refilling gas, problems still exists
Second one told me gas value cannot open fully, after changing, problems still exists
Third one told me Thermostat spoilt, after changing, problems still exists
Four one ( also the SOLE AGENT told me the dirt inside the gas pipe that block the gas flow fully, Charge me $80 SDG for troubleshooting ONLY. NOT repair done, if repair, this $80 cannot take into account.
Very bad experience.
Please do not buy Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air con for this model. SOLE AGENT office very PROUD guy.
This is the model, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL, only last 3.5 years
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
PLEASE DO NOT BUY, bad after sales support from their SOLE AGENT. Very PROUD PROUD attuide.

Oh dear. At this very present moment, the contractors are fixing my twin MHI air-conditoner for two of my rooms!

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
Oh dear. At this very present moment, the contractors are fixing my twin MHI air-conditoner for two of my rooms![/QUOTE

Then I hope it is not the same model.

Also, all warranties are lies, because they will tell you it only cover parts cost, never cover workmenship, transport.........etc

mlangelo

Reaction score
Oh dear. At this very present moment, the contractors are fixing my twin MHI air-conditoner for two of my rooms![/QUOTE

Then I hope it is not the same model.

Also, all warranties are lies, because they will tell you it only cover parts cost, never cover workmenship, transport.........etc

Thanks for feedback. Now hoping for the best..

aircon%2001.jpg

aircon02.jpg

Last edited:

mlangelo

Reaction score
So far the workmen and the boss are very nice and efficient. Polite and not the ah beng kind :)

koalabears

Reaction score
Mitsubishi Heavy Industrial System 4 (3ticks)

We just get the quote from Gaincity for Mitsubishi Heavy Industrial System 4 (3ticks)

- 22 btu x1 (for Living Room)
- 12 btu x3 (for 3 Bedrooms)

the salesman told us 9k btu is out of stock now, they replace us with 12k btu for our three bedrooms; he also claim that the Mitsubishi Starmax Electrical compressor will make quite loudly noise when aircond is on, they have received few complaints from customer recently... well MHI not have this issues, plus MHI has more function like auto cleaning etc...

Anyone here can share your experiences/opinion of this???

other question is by using 12k btu aircond will consume more electric if compare to 9k btu right? but the salesman told us it won't as the invertal panel in aircon will auto cut off when the room is cold enough.. is it true??

mlangelo

Reaction score
We just get the quote from Gaincity for Mitsubishi Heavy Industrial System 4 (3ticks)

- 22 btu x1 (for Living Room)
- 12 btu x3 (for 3 Bedrooms)

the salesman told us 9k btu is out of stock now, they replace us with 12k btu for our three bedrooms; he also claim that the Mitsubishi Starmax Electrical compressor will make quite loudly noise when aircond is on, they have received few complaints from customer recently... well MHI not have this issues, plus MHI has more function like auto cleaning etc...

Anyone here can share your experiences/opinion of this???

other question is by using 12k btu aircond will consume more electric if compare to 9k btu right? but the salesman told us it won't as the invertal panel in aircon will auto cut off when the room is cold enough.. is it true??

I chose the MHI because my rooms have higher than normal ceilings so I was afraid that the 9000 BTU might not be strong enough.
Energy consumed is calculated by the power rating x time used, so the more power and longer time will cost more. Read a few pages back on how rapid cooling might not be good for a small room if the humidity level is not lowered.
I went to Gain City, Best Tech, Electric, Harvey Norman, DIY at joo seng but so far I prefer the service provided by Supreme. Right now they are just about finishing the installation.

koalabears

Reaction score
I chose the MHI because my rooms have higher than normal ceilings so I was afraid that the 9000 BTU might not be strong enough.
Energy consumed is calculated by the power rating x time used, so the more power and longer time will cost more. Read a few pages back on how rapid cooling might not be good for a small room if the humidity level is not lowered.
I went to Gain City, Best Tech, Electric, Harvey Norman, DIY at joo seng but so far I prefer the service provided by Supreme. Right now they are just about finishing the installation.
Thanks for your reply!

so you mean it doesn't matter of the aircon BTU level (9k & 12k), is depend on time & space usage right? in another way is mean the electric will consume same power no matter we use 9k or 12k for the same room, am i right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.