Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlangelo

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

so you mean it doesn't matter of the aircon BTU level (9k & 12k), is depend on time & space usage right? in another way is mean the electric will consume same power no matter we use 9k or 12k for the same room, am i right?

Besides power, time and usage, we need to look at the size of the room. A higher BTU will definitely use more energy (with higher power rating) and cool the room faster (shorter time) but if it is a small room, a 9000 BTU will suffice. But according to some here, when you use a higher BTU for a small room, the room cools faster but there will be humidity problems.

Do reach the pages before this. You can calculate the volume of your room and hence the cooling power required. For me I read through over 600 pages to get as much info to help make an informed choice. To help you narrow down, read from 2016 Jan onwards. Disregard negative posters with one or two postings (I see you just registered) and as with everything, check out the information. This is not gospel truth! Hope this helps!

mlangelo

Reaction score
By the way, the technicians have left and I am cleaning up the place. They took care not to let the dust go all over the place and I am happy with their workmanship. They had to drill through the walls for the pipes to go through. Tested all and everything is ok. Hope this lasts.. :)
By the way, the boss has not collected a single cent from me yet! He says to check everything and then pay.

koalabears

Reaction score
Besides power, time and usage, we need to look at the size of the room. A higher BTU will definitely use more energy (with higher power rating) and cool the room faster (shorter time) but if it is a small room, a 9000 BTU will suffice. But according to some here, when you use a higher BTU for a small room, the room cools faster but there will be humidity problems.

Do reach the pages before this. You can calculate the volume of your room and hence the cooling power required. For me I read through over 600 pages to get as much info to help make an informed choice. To help you narrow down, read from 2016 Jan onwards. Disregard negative posters with one or two postings (I see you just registered) and as with everything, check out the information. This is not gospel truth! Hope this helps!
Hi Mlangelo,

Noted and Thanks for your advice :)
will try to look back the previous post and thanks!!

mlangelo

Reaction score
Hi Mlangelo,

Noted and Thanks for your advice :)
will try to look back the previous post and thanks!!

You are welcome! I am just paying back for the good advice I get from this thread. By the way I almost got from Best Tech. Good pricing and nice salesman from IMM. Went to one at East Coast too but the saleman from IMM is a nice old gentleman and I would have gotten this from him if not for the negative feedback on facebook about their service. He is my next alternative.
What we face is this :
At shop :buy from a nice gentleman or pretty saleswoman who assures you everything,
Real situation : the installation team comes and says..for this you must pay $$$, and so forth or this cannot be done etc.

So before you get your stuff, ask them to write down everything in black and white so that there is no room for argument.

Always good to do your research. I prefer a small closely knit team run by a responsible boss than one that outsources work to others..

Mannequin Yeo

Reaction score
Hi,

You can sign up for free at: https://imageshack.com/signup to paste your photo and post the link in this forum.

https://imageshack.com/i/plPe20Zoj

My plan

Living Room aircon above the entrance door beam - pipe trunking from TOP to kitchen down straight to yard then to ledge

MBR aircon above toilet door - pipe trunking all inside MBR false ceiling out to ledge

Bedroom 2 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to common toilet false ceiling then to MBR false ceiling to yard then to ledge

Bedroom 3 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to kitchen TOP then down to bottom straight to yard then to ledge

Thank you

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
https://imageshack.com/my/images

My plan

Living Room aircon above the entrance door beam - pipe trunking from TOP to kitchen down straight to yard then to ledge

MBR aircon above toilet door - pipe trunking all inside MBR false ceiling out to ledge

Bedroom 2 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to common toilet false ceiling then to MBR false ceiling to yard then to ledge

Bedroom 3 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to kitchen TOP then down to bottom straight to yard then to ledge

Thank you

Hi, your image cannot be opened. Pls provide the link again.

jason910

Master Member
Reaction score
I spoke to the Mitsubishi HQ mgr on the 5 ticks aircon units, he told me that the compressor will be nosier then the other 2 ticks models. He does have users complaining to him about these. Town councils was informed also they had to go down and use those noise protective sheets to cover the compressors to minimise the noise that their neighbours complained about.

Any users can feedback on their 5 ticks aircon compressor?

Neverland99

Reaction score
I spoke to the Mitsubishi HQ mgr on the 5 ticks aircon units, he told me that the compressor will be nosier then the other 2 ticks models. He does have users complaining to him about these. Town councils was informed also they had to go down and use those noise protective sheets to cover the compressors to minimise the noise that their neighbours complained about.

Any users can feedback on their 5 ticks aircon compressor?

my post #6762 ;

"I have just installed a new starmex 5 tick system 3 last month (Dec 2015). As the compressor is just outside my master room, I can indeed hear very loud noise coming from the trunking inside my room that was just connected to the compressor outside on the aircon ledge especially if all 3 blower are running (3 blowers running at minimum fan speed and set at 25 deg C.) If the blower is running at max fan speed, the noise at the trunking near the compressor is really very loud.
However, the noise is not so loud if only 1 blower is running but still can be heard in the middle of the night when the surroundings is very quiet.

As we only switch on the aircon during hotter days/nights and it is more energy efficient, I just have to live with the noise.

My system is MXY3G28VA compressor + MSXYFJ10VE blower (x 3 units)"

I have requested Gain City technician to take a look at the noise issue, the installer came and show me the catalogue saying that the noise level for 5 tick is higher that 2 tick models and there is nothing that they can do unless I allow them to lower the amp capacity of the compressor which in turn make the compressor not so noisy but at the same time will not be so cold. I rejected the suggestion and request them to feedback / highlight to Mitsibishi Electric Singapore on this issue.

jason910

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks looks like i will have to skip the 5 ticks models.

my post #6762 ;

"I have just installed a new starmex 5 tick system 3 last month (Dec 2015). As the compressor is just outside my master room, I can indeed hear very loud noise coming from the trunking inside my room that was just connected to the compressor outside on the aircon ledge especially if all 3 blower are running (3 blowers running at minimum fan speed and set at 25 deg C.) If the blower is running at max fan speed, the noise at the trunking near the compressor is really very loud.
However, the noise is not so loud if only 1 blower is running but still can be heard in the middle of the night when the surroundings is very quiet.

As we only switch on the aircon during hotter days/nights and it is more energy efficient, I just have to live with the noise.

I have requested Gain City technician to take a look at the noise issue, the installer came and show me the catalogue saying that the noise level for 5 tick is higher that 2 tick models and there is nothing that they can do unless I allow them to lower the amp capacity of the compressor which in turn make the compressor not so noisy but at the same time will not be so cold. I rejected the suggestion and request them to feedback / highlight to Mitsibishi Electric Singapore on this issue.

dachee

Reaction score
my post #6762 ;

Hi, Can you differentiate the noise at the condenser? Like is it fan noise, compressor noise, vibrating noise, noise coming from condenser or trucking, gas leaking sound?

You may wish to download from Play Store a dB level meter application into your hand phone and check the level of the sound. If it is above the product specification, Mitsubishi Electric may have to change the unit for you free of charge.

However, noise could also be due to vibration from piping. In that case, the installer would have to rectify it.

Good to get both of them to inspect the problem at together so that your problem can be resolved and not going round the bush.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Neverland99

Reaction score
Hi, Can you differentiate the noise at the condenser? Like is it fan noise, compressor noise, vibrating noise, noise coming from condenser or trucking, gas leaking sound?

You may wish to download from Play Store a dB level meter application into your hand phone and check the level of the sound. If it is above the product specification, Mitsubishi Electric may have to change the unit for you free of charge.

However, noise could also be due to vibration from piping. In that case, the installer would have to rectify it.

Good to get both of them to inspect the problem at together so that your problem can be resolved and not going round the bush.

Based on ME catalogue, 2 tick system 3 outdoor compressor noise level is 49 DB(A) while the 5 tick system 3 outdoor compressor noise level is 56 DB(A).

ME8_Custom_.png

MXY-G-series-specification-table.ashx

This is a good comparison on the noise level that you will hear ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&hl=en-GB&v=v65dR-ZV5D0

Cheers !

dachee

Reaction score
Based on ME catalogue, 2 tick system 3 outdoor compressor noise level is 49 DB(A) while the 5 tick system 3 outdoor compressor noise level is 56 DB(A).

ME8_Custom_.png

MXY-G-series-specification-table.ashx

This is a good comparison on the noise level that you will hear ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&hl=en-GB&v=v65dR-ZV5D0

Cheers !

Hi,

In this case, there is a noise level issue which can be contributed by the following:

1. The sound level of the air conditioner system
2. The sound level from the air conditioner piping (vibration).
3. The sound level from the combination of both the air conditioner and the piping.
4. The sound level from the air conditioner mounting bracket (if used)
5. The perceived loudness by the person hearing the sound.

Focusing only on the air conditioner, the 5 ticks is having condenser sound level of 56dB as specified. Though it is louder than the 2 ticks, it does not mean that it is a noisy equipment.

On this, is 56 dB consider as loud? How loud in normal situation is 56 dB? Is this loudness out of the normal experience that would annoy someone?

Well, according to the chart below, 56 dB is as loud or as soft as during a normal conversation. Is this too loud? Will it annoy someone?

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

http://chchearing.org/noise/common-environmental-noise-levels/

Well, I think it is unlikely that someone will be annoyed by such sound level. 56 db is around our conversational speech of 60 dB.

Readers can download a dB meter application from Playstore and you will released that 56 dB is really not loud at all. (Note: I am aware that the dB meter that is download from Playstore is not calibrated. It is only used for comparison).

So if your condenser is creating noise that affect your neighbours, then it will be good to check whether it is meeting its specification or not.

Maybe you are having a defective product right from the start. Good to resolve this problem before it becomes a major defective with expensive repair cost after the warranty. Covering the condenser with a acoustic material is not solving the problem. It does not make the defective product meet its specification.

By the way, the video attached in your message is from a 40kVA genset (generator of 32kW). It is difficult to confirm that the sound that is from the video is the same loudness as shown on the dB meter, as there are other sounds, such as environmental sounds and also the video mic level setting (not the dB meter setting) and also my computer speaker setting.

Last edited:

eisrad_11

Reaction score
I chose the MHI because my rooms have higher than normal ceilings so I was afraid that the 9000 BTU might not be strong enough.
Energy consumed is calculated by the power rating x time used, so the more power and longer time will cost more. Read a few pages back on how rapid cooling might not be good for a small room if the humidity level is not lowered.
I went to Gain City, Best Tech, Electric, Harvey Norman, DIY at joo seng but so far I prefer the service provided by Supreme. Right now they are just about finishing the installation.

i installed a mhi 3 system with newway abt a year back and everything is working perfectly fine. it was a good recommendation and i am satisfied with the brand so far.

thats right bro. service is so impt. my aunt was left hanging when her new aircons are not working. called her contractor but nobody came. i recommended newway to her and they found some gas leak on one of the connection. even fixed it up for her without extra charge.

bottom line.. do your research and find a reliable company u can trust before you regret it..

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
Dear ALL,

Beware of SELF advertising on MHI air con ( Mitshubishi Heavy Industrial),

Below is my personal experience with MHI air con

I have a system 4 MHI using for 3.5 years. Now having problems cannot turn on, lights on the fan coil have orange blink four times follow by lights in green & orange blink 4 times and this repeat itself again and again.
Have 4 contractors to check and everyone told me a different faults
First one told me gas NOT enough, very confident. After refilling gas, problems still exists
Second one told me gas value cannot open fully, after changing, problems still exists
Third one told me Thermostat spoilt, after changing, problems still exists
Four one ( also the SOLE AGENT told me the dirt inside the gas pipe that block the gas flow fully, Charge me $80 SDG for troubleshooting ONLY. NOT repair done, if repair, this $80 cannot take into account.
Very bad experience.
Please do not buy Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air con for this model. SOLE AGENT office very PROUD guy.
This is the model, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL, only last 3.5 years
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
PLEASE DO NOT BUY, bad after sales support from their SOLE AGENT. Very PROUD PROUD attuide.

mlangelo

Reaction score
Dear ALL,

Beware of SELF advertising on MHI air con ( Mitshubishi Heavy Industrial),

Below is my personal experience with MHI air con

I have a system 4 MHI using for 3.5 years. Now having problems cannot turn on, lights on the fan coil have orange blink four times follow by lights in green & orange blink 4 times and this repeat itself again and again.
Have 4 contractors to check and everyone told me a different faults
First one told me gas NOT enough, very confident. After refilling gas, problems still exists
Second one told me gas value cannot open fully, after changing, problems still exists
Third one told me Thermostat spoilt, after changing, problems still exists
Four one ( also the SOLE AGENT told me the dirt inside the gas pipe that block the gas flow fully, Charge me $80 SDG for troubleshooting ONLY. NOT repair done, if repair, this $80 cannot take into account.
Very bad experience.
Please do not buy Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air con for this model. SOLE AGENT office very PROUD guy.
This is the model, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL, only last 3.5 years
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
PLEASE DO NOT BUY, bad after sales support from their SOLE AGENT. Very PROUD PROUD attuide.

Really hope their service improves..just got my warranty cert today two days after the installation was completed..
mhi%20warranty.jpg

In addition, my installer gave me two years warranty on installation..

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
Hi,

In this case, there is a noise level issue which can be contributed by the following:

1. The sound level of the air conditioner system
2. The sound level from the air conditioner piping (vibration).
3. The sound level from the combination of both the air conditioner and the piping.
4. The sound level from the air conditioner mounting bracket (if used)
5. The perceived loudness by the person hearing the sound.

Focusing only on the air conditioner, the 5 ticks is having condenser sound level of 56dB as specified. Though it is louder than the 2 ticks, it does not mean that it is a noisy equipment.

On this, is 56 dB consider as loud? How loud in normal situation is 56 dB? Is this loudness out of the normal experience that would annoy someone?

Well, according to the chart below, 56 dB is as loud or as soft as during a normal conversation. Is this too loud? Will it annoy someone?

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

http://chchearing.org/noise/common-environmental-noise-levels/

Well, I think it is unlikely that someone will be annoyed by such sound level. 56 db is around our conversational speech of 60 dB.

Readers can download a dB meter application from Playstore and you will released that 56 dB is really not loud at all. (Note: I am aware that the dB meter that is download from Playstore is not calibrated. It is only used for comparison).

So if your condenser is creating noise that affect your neighbours, then it will be good to check whether it is meeting its specification or not.

Maybe you are having a defective product right from the start. Good to resolve this problem before it becomes a major defective with expensive repair cost after the warranty. Covering the condenser with a acoustic material is not solving the problem. It does not make the defective product meet its specification.

By the way, the video attached in your message is from a 40kVA genset (generator of 32kW). It is difficult to confirm that the sound that is from the video is the same loudness as shown on the dB meter, as there are other sounds, such as environmental sounds and also the video mic level setting (not the dB meter setting) and also my computer speaker setting.

Hi,

To feel how loud is 59 dB, readers can do the following:

1. Download a dB meter application from PlayStore.
2. Go to youtube and search for "air conditioner condenser noise" and select those videos that only have the condenser operating sound (ie exclude voice and music).
3. Play the video, place your hand phone over your pc, and read the dB meter sound level when the compressor is in operation.
4. Increase or reduce the video by adjusting the computer volume to reach 59 dB.
5. When the dB meter shows 59 dB, this is the loudness of the condenser sound that you will likely hear when you are near it.
6. Walk about 3 to 4 m away from your computer and hear the sound level.

You can then decide whether 59 dB is loud or soft at a certain distance away. You may also wish to bring the dB meter when you move away from your computer and check its reading.

7. Now you can close all your windows and door to remove any environment noise and check your dB meter again for 59 dB, you may realize that the noise sound louder even though it is 59 dB. So is the condenser noisy? Maybe but is it within spec. Yes!

If your condenser sounds louder than this level. You may wish to contact the manufacturer to rectify it as soon as possible during its warranty period.

Try it out for 49 dB.

Hope that the above is helpful.

dachee

Reaction score
Installation checks #1 - no jointing of new pipe allowed.

Hi,

If you are installing a new air conditioner, and had opted for new piping, than it is important that you observe the installers to ensure that they do not joint the pipes.

Discuss this requirement with the seller and have it written in your order that no jointing is acceptable except at the FCU and Condenser and to use flared joints. Some worker braze the pipe at the FCU to save them the work to properly route the pipes.

Brazing of the pipes is not acceptable and you should be consulted if worker which to do brazing. Never Never allow them to braze the pipes.

As you are paying for the new pipe, there is no reason why the new pipe need to be jointed. New pipe comes at a length of 15m and this is sufficient for most houses in Singapore.

Jointing of new pipes are done when workers salvage left over new pipes from other installation to save cost. Some pipes may have a few joints from shorter pipes. When pipes are inserted into the insulation, it becomes difficult for the customers to check for brazed joints. Workers will normally insert the pipes into the insulation when you are not around or during lunch time when no one is watching them.

Have it in your agreement that you wish to inspect the new pipe before they are inserted into the insulation.

In Singapore, all air conditioner joint that are brazed are inappropriately done, ie without the use of nitrogen gas and as a result may cause serious failure to the system with expensive repair or even complete change of the whole system.

Attached is a link showing what happened when copper pipe is brazed with and without nitrogen.

https://youtu.be/Bpqxbc9XQ5Y

Air conditioner system consist of parts that have very fine holes in the control devices and scaling from brazed pipe without using nitrogen can easily choke the system.

So NEVER NEVER allow your new pipes to be brazed joint by the worker at any cost. Stop them, or reject the pipe and show them your agreement that you have with the seller.

Last edited:

NeonX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it advisable to use the daikin pro shop for purchasing and installation? Have to decide on aircon soon since my renovations are staring.

Any difference between the different pro shops? Are they manage by daikin directly or are they sub cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.