Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! Recently, my aircon remote went faulty and won't turn on even after replacing a new set of batteries.

This is how it looks like:
eIBAAHw.jpg

Does anyone know is it possible to get a replacement of the same remote, since the aircon is 10 years+ already.

TIA :)

Sent from my Xperia using GAGT

†_WhiteKnight_KorKor

Master Member
Reaction score
Home Aircon died. Very old Mistubishi Heavy Industry Inverter system 3 series. I think maybe around 15 years?

It died after running for continuous 24 hours from Friday to Saturday. Error code is: Run LED ON, Timer 5 blink. I've checked and it seems that it is:

Description of trouble = Over heat of Compressor
Cause = Gas shortage , Defective discharge pipe thermistor
Conditions of flashing = When discharge pipe thermistor value exceeds setting value. (Compressor Stops.)

Have left it alone for 24hrs today, at even at 5am, it refused to start.

Asking for opinion on whether should I replace the unit or service it? 15 service years is quite a long time.

Is there any recommendation brands/unit? If not, i'm most likely getting a starmex from ME.

Edited: also, is there any installer to recommend??

Last edited:

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Price is one factor to consider, however, the quality of workmanship is an even more important factor. It is therefore important to buy from a dealer who accept the appropriate key check points in the installation process of the whole system.

Poor installation practices can damage a new product and the consequent can only be realized many a few years later.

Above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

yes I understand this but I believe in also better value... previously I was using Cool Serve for my parents place and they did a good job but their price is rather high. so I hope to find an installer that is as good but cheaper.

sometimes ex does not means good, cheap does not means bad, if u get what I mean.

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Review for Cold Engine installation

Site Survey-
Scott came and took a look, in and out within 5 mins as place still under renovation.

Pipe Laying-
2 worker came to lay the pipes .
Job completed within half a day.
Result MBR casing is not straight, worker over cut the casing and try using silicone to patch, end up the case cannot stay in shape.

Air con installation-
Scott came with another worker.
Found pipe position is not enough allowance.Have to join the pipes using solder.
After fixing the pipe, the casing end up covering the door frame.
Request to shift upward to avoid the door frame went unanswered.
Casing in mbr that was not straight cannot be fixed as they did not have the require material.
Scott tried to push/mould the case into shape but no use.

Rectification 1-
After complaining to Michelle and refusing to pay balance.
Came to straight the case.
Shift casing up from door frame.
End result, bulging case after straightening.
Casing at door frame instead of joining seamlessly with the main case, they decide to stagger it instead.
Scott commented that after this round if i am still not happy, nothing else he can do.
Gave up asking them to fix anymore.
2iivamv.jpg

315lnyb.jpg

Rectification 2-
Aircon cable was connected wrongly resulting in cold air coming out from other room AC instead of the AC that was turned on.

Not sure how the other good reviews came about. Maybe my case is special...

hmm sad to hear about your case. looks like Cold Engine may not be as good as I thought to be. :D

dachee

Reaction score
yes I understand this but I believe in also better value... previously I was using Cool Serve for my parents place and they did a good job but their price is rather high. so I hope to find an installer that is as good but cheaper.

sometimes ex does not means good, cheap does not means bad, if u get what I mean.

Yes. As customers, we always want the best deal. The best deal would be best evaluated as a "whole" package, including cost of products, workmanship, warranty, product's feature, materials used, services, discount and vouchers if any as well as interest free credit card payment.

Quantom

Reaction score
Had my piping works done by Fortuna over the weekend.

The general quality of the work done by Fortuna was significantly better than the previous installer. The guys were quick and proposed a piping route that had the least number of turns (which minimizes bending) while still maintaining a nice, clean look for the trunking. I'll praise them at least for their general quality of work.

One problem that I identified was brazing in open air. This was for one 1/2" pipe that goes to the living room, i.e. the longest copper pipe in the entire system. I raised alarms to the workers about this, but the senior one mentioned that he'll purge the pipes with gas. I was under the impression that he was going to purge with N2, but what transpired was open-air brazing followed by a blast of R410a through the pipe. The worker assured me that the R410a purge would take care of any contaminants arising from brazing. That seemed rather unconventional to me; in fact I think that it might be illegal to release refrigerant openly into the atmosphere.

I was told by the worker that it was impossible to avoid brazing, but to me, it seems that he made a mistake by bending the pipe too early before routing it through the walls.

Anyway, I had a few interesting calls with Daikin's technical team as well as the Fortuna technical supervisor. Daikin told me that brazing for large, complex systems will certainly require an N2 purge, but for a simple system like in an HDB flat, brazing for 3 - 5 minutes shouldn't be a problem. The Fortuna supervisor told me that they had not provided an N2 purge as that would be an additional charge, and that the R410a purge would suffice.

I find this all very interesting. Every website out there suggests that it's fundamentally wrong to braze without an inert atmosphere in the pipe. From what Daikin and Fortuna have mentioned to me, it seems that it's an approved industry practice in Singapore to conduct small brazing works without N2 purging.

Perhaps I'm nit-picking because of what I've learned from this forum and other sites, but it seems wrong to me to condone such works.

I'm frankly quite tired to pursue this issue this any further, mostly because it's a pain to pursue reworks. (I've already replaced the old A/C installer with Fortuna and they had to rip out the work they had done.) I'm trying to convince myself that this is a minor point and shouldn't cause catastrophic failures in the system. I'll probably just ask them to purge the pipe once more using R410a before they install the FCU.

If there's anything that needs to be learned from all of this, put everything that you personally require in the contract.

dachee

Reaction score
Had my piping works done by Fortuna over the weekend.

The general quality of the work done by Fortuna was significantly better than the previous installer. The guys were quick and proposed a piping route that had the least number of turns (which minimizes bending) while still maintaining a nice, clean look for the trunking. I'll praise them at least for their general quality of work.

One problem that I identified was brazing in open air. This was for one 1/2" pipe that goes to the living room, i.e. the longest copper pipe in the entire system. I raised alarms to the workers about this, but the senior one mentioned that he'll purge the pipes with gas. I was under the impression that he was going to purge with N2, but what transpired was open-air brazing followed by a blast of R410a through the pipe. The worker assured me that the R410a purge would take care of any contaminants arising from brazing. That seemed rather unconventional to me; in fact I think that it might be illegal to release refrigerant openly into the atmosphere.

I was told by the worker that it was impossible to avoid brazing, but to me, it seems that he made a mistake by bending the pipe too early before routing it through the walls.

Anyway, I had a few interesting calls with Daikin's technical team as well as the Fortuna technical supervisor. Daikin told me that brazing for large, complex systems will certainly require an N2 purge, but for a simple system like in an HDB flat, brazing for 3 - 5 minutes shouldn't be a problem. The Fortuna supervisor told me that they had not provided an N2 purge as that would be an additional charge, and that the R410a purge would suffice.

I find this all very interesting. Every website out there suggests that it's fundamentally wrong to braze without an inert atmosphere in the pipe. From what Daikin and Fortuna have mentioned to me, it seems that it's an approved industry practice in Singapore to conduct small brazing works without N2 purging.

Perhaps I'm nit-picking because of what I've learned from this forum and other sites, but it seems wrong to me to condone such works.

I'm frankly quite tired to pursue this issue this any further, mostly because it's a pain to pursue reworks. (I've already replaced the old A/C installer with Fortuna and they had to rip out the work they had done.) I'm trying to convince myself that this is a minor point and shouldn't cause catastrophic failures in the system. I'll probably just ask them to purge the pipe once more using R410a before they install the FCU.

If there's anything that needs to be learned from all of this, put everything that you personally require in the contract.

Yes, fully agree with you. Need to put what you need in the contract to avoid misunderstanding.

It will be interesting to know Daikin's reply in writing in regards to the purging with R410A, acceptance of brazing without N2 and their warranty acceptance in regards to system failure due to impurities in the system?

This may not be your last air conditioner. It is therefore good to know the right from the wrong.

hg_wng

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some help as I know nothing about air con. Old non-inverter aircon sensor became faulty and will turn on and off by itself randomly and can't be controlled by remote anymore. Technician gave us 3 options:

1. Get a refurbished one to replace it
2. Change to a Daikin system (he said there's only one non-inverter system still on the market, googled it and I assume it's this http://www.lazada.sg/daikin-non-inverter-multi-split-system-2-air-con-ft25dvm-2-ma56ev1-with-installation-2574116.html)
3. Replace with an inverter system.

A few years ago another technician told us that we have to change the piping if we want to change to inverter so my parents decided not to as it would be quite a big job. However this tech told us that we don't need to change. So is this true? If not, is there any point in getting a non-inverter system nowadays?

Quantom

Reaction score
Yes, fully agree with you. Need to put what you need in the contract to avoid misunderstanding.

It will be interesting to know Daikin's reply in writing in regards to the purging with R410A, acceptance of brazing without N2 and their warranty acceptance in regards to system failure due to impurities in the system?

This may not be your last air conditioner. It is therefore good to know the right from the wrong.

Good point. I should write an email to them. That should make things interesting.

Yeah my consolation is that this will likely not be my last A/C. When the system needs replacing (in hopefully a decade or more), I will be fully aware of all that needs to be done upfront.

devilcup

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

dachee

Reaction score
Need some help as I know nothing about air con. Old non-inverter aircon sensor became faulty and will turn on and off by itself randomly and can't be controlled by remote anymore. Technician gave us 3 options:

1. Get a refurbished one to replace it
2. Change to a Daikin system (he said there's only one non-inverter system still on the market, googled it and I assume it's this http://www.lazada.sg/daikin-non-inverter-multi-split-system-2-air-con-ft25dvm-2-ma56ev1-with-installation-2574116.html)
3. Replace with an inverter system.

A few years ago another technician told us that we have to change the piping if we want to change to inverter so my parents decided not to as it would be quite a big job. However this tech told us that we don't need to change. So is this true? If not, is there any point in getting a non-inverter system nowadays?

Hi,

Do you use your air conditioner regularly and what is your monthly electricity bill?

The new inverter systems use the R410A refrigerant while the old non-inverter air conditioners use the R22 refrigerant.

In my opinon, the R410A system is not compatible with the R22 and I would suggest that you use new piping. This is because though there are many in the market indicating that it is alright to use the old R22 piping, why take the risk and be the problem owner and be accountable for other people's understanding.

Technically, there is no way to ensure compatibility of old piping for new inverter system.

Inverter system has many advantages over the non-inverter system in addition to running cost reduction.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited:

kw

Reaction score
Hi, anyone can recommend any particular model for sys 3 which is good and not very expensive? Don't need a top end model. Any reliable installer to recommend? Pls pm me if inconvenient to post in public. Thanks!

hg_wng

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Do you use your air conditioner regularly and what is your monthly electricity bill?

The new inverter systems use the R410A refrigerant while the old non-inverter air conditioners use the R22 refrigerant.

In my opinon, the R410A system is not compatible with the R22 and I would suggest that you use new piping. This is because though there are many in the market indicating that it is alright to use the old R22 piping, why take the risk and be the problem owner and be accountable for other people's understanding.

Technically, there is no way to ensure compatibility of old piping for new inverter system.

Inverter system has many advantages over the non-inverter system in addition to running cost reduction.

Thanks for the helpful. It is only used occasionally. Reliability will be the main concern, so I think that rules out using an inverter system without changing piping. What are the advantages of inverter system other than lower running costs and more precise temp control?

I think now the main thing is whether or not there is any disadvantage to getting the Daikin non-inverter system. I believe the guy said it's going to be discontinued soon, so I'm not sure if it will be problematic a few years later.

dachee

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful. It is only used occasionally. Reliability will be the main concern, so I think that rules out using an inverter system without changing piping. What are the advantages of inverter system other than lower running costs and more precise temp control?

I think now the main thing is whether or not there is any disadvantage to getting the Daikin non-inverter system. I believe the guy said it's going to be discontinued soon, so I'm not sure if it will be problematic a few years later.

Hi,

1. Inverter vs non-inverter.

1.1 Ok, you are aware of the lower running cost. This amount can be great, even to the extend of saving more than the initial cost of the air conditioner in just few years.

1.2 Yes, it provides a more precise temperature control, meaning that you will not be subjected to the extreme coldness and hotness when you are in the path of the air flow. This allow you to place the FCU such that the air flow can be directed at you to provide almost immediate cooling rather than having the room cool down to feel cool.

1.3 It also mean that larger room need not have to have larger capacity as cooling can be at selected area of the room rather than the whole room. For example, room temperature setting is at 28 degree, but the selected area in the path of the air flowing out of the FCU at your selected area could be receiving temperature of 26 degree C.

3. Because the inverter does not have the frequent start and stop, operating parts would likely last much longer with lesser wear and tear.

4. If you are an environmental friendly person, it is good to know that R410A used in inverter system does not contribute to ozone depletion.

5. The lubricating oil used in inverter system is synthetic oil which has better performance.

6. The R410A operates at a higher pressure and is more efficient in transferring heat than the R22. Thus your air conditioner are able to cool the room faster.

7. Most non-inverter system uses R22 and as this refrigerant is declining in usage with more using R410A system in the market, R22 system may become more costly to maintain and even non available in future.

8. Most if not all, inverter system use rotatory compressors which is much quieter.

9. The inverter system are newer in the market with many more features and one important feature is the cooling coil surface area of the FCU that increases the cooling efficiency.

10. This new system also incorporate metal treatment that helps to protect the outdoor unit from the environment.

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
Is your usage heavy?

Hi, anyone can recommend any particular model for sys 3 which is good and not very expensive? Don't need a top end model. Any reliable installer to recommend? Pls pm me if inconvenient to post in public. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.