Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terumo

Reaction score
Usually aircon contractors refer to GE24 as 24k btu.
=/-10% variance is acceptable.

Sorry, this might sound silly, but ME starmex 24K BTU indoor unit is referring to MSY-GE24VA or 26VA? Cos brocedure put 24VA is 6kW and 26VA is 7.1kW, after convert, GE24VA is not 24K BTU?

d9_lives

Reaction score
Guys, I need your help.
I read many pages but I still can't quite understand.

I will collect keys to my 3 rooms new BTO soon (size: 65m2) and I want to put aircon. in 2 bedrooms and 1 living room.
Usage: 2 bedrooms 8 hours/day. Living room probably 3-4 hours/day.

Questions:
1. Is system 3 is my best option?
2. Based on my usage, how many ticks are recommended?
3. I prefer Daikin, could you recommend me the exact model?
4. Can we tile over the drainage pipe?

I can just go to shop and ask but I might get chopped.
Appreciate your help.

Quantom

Reaction score
Guys, I need your help.

I will collect keys to my 3 rooms new BTO soon (size: 65m2) and I want to put aircon. in 2 bedrooms and 1 living room.

Questions:

Appreciate your help.

Hey, we're all here to help one another. It's quite unlikely that the sales guys out there will tell you everything that you see in this thread.

Hmm, 2x bedrooms for 8 hours a day. That seems to qualify as a moderate-high usage situation to me. I suppose there are occasions where you'll have the living room unit turned on at the same time as the units in the bedrooms, i.e. all blowers turned on.

To your questions:

1. It seems like system 3 would be the best value for money option.

2. Get an outdoor unit (condenser) that's rated to the cooling power that you'll need. For example, if you're primarily using the 2x bedrooms through the night, 2x 9,000 BTU/hr units is what you'll need and thus a condenser rated to 18,000 BTU/hr with the highest efficiency will save you money in the long run [note: 'long run' as the upfront cost of a more efficient system (more ticks) will be higher as compared to a less efficient system].

3. I prefer Daikin as well! I'm currently using the 5 ticks SMILE series that's all over Channel 8's advertisements. In line with what I mentioned in point 2, you should get something like:

Outdoor unit: MKS65QVMG
Indoor units: 2x CTKS25QVM (for 2x bedroom), CTKS50QVM (living room)

* Basic price is S$3,320.00 from http://diyappliances.com.sg/product/daikin-smile-s3/ WITHOUT any add-ons which you should consider getting.

4. I wouldn't recommend tiling over drainage pipes unless absolutely necessary (e.g. safety for young children), reason being that clogs may occur in the future and maintenance works may require access to your drainage pipes to remove the dirt accumulation. It would be a horror to have to hack away tiles to access these pipes.

Remember, an air-conditioner is a long-term investment. Hence, whatever you choose or do, in terms of workmanship, materials and parts, do not simply pick the cheapest option. That may cost you significantly in the long run.

As an example: I've a colleague who stays in a landed property and has an air-conditioning system set up, with all the piping concealed in the walls. His drainage pipes are 12mm wide, which is of a 'standard' size. One of his family members likes using the air-conditioner heavily, and that has resulted in significant dirt build-up in the pipes, preventing water from draining away effectively. This has led to water seepage in his walls. Unfortunately for him, the cost of replacing the pipes with larger ones is not trivial and thus he has no choice but to live with clogged pipes and reduce the usage of the A/C.

Think wisely before proceeding!

terumo

Reaction score
Hi,

1) System 3 is a good option.
2) 3-5 ticks
3) 3MKS50 + 25 X 2 + 35
4) Best to leave it exposed.

Guys, I need your help.

Questions:

Appreciate your help.

humanrace

Reaction score
Dear all,
I would also like to ask for help and recommendations here:

I have a 5 room BTO flat and looking for a system 4 for all 3 rooms and living room. Average usage is 3-4hours at night in Masterbed room. 1-2hours in the living and other rooms.

1) I prefer Mitsubishi Starmex and i assume 2 ticks is good enough. Could anyone recommend a model, would like to do a price comparison with the one from my ID?

2) Is 22K + 9k +9k +9K enough for my case?

3) Many people recommend Cold Engine & Hong Huat Engineering. Can anyone PM me the contact?

4) If BTO from scratch, does it mean it is likely to be a 2 trip installation?

terumo

Reaction score
Hi,

1) Yes, 2 or 3 ticks should be enough.

2) Yes.

3) Can search from thread or PM.

4) 1 or 2 trips will be depending on your ID.

Dear all,
I would also like to ask for help and recommendations here:

I have a 5 room BTO flat and looking for a system 4 for all 3 rooms and living room. Average usage is 3-4hours at night in Masterbed room. 1-2hours in the living and other rooms.

1) I prefer Mitsubishi Starmex and i assume 2 ticks is good enough. Could anyone recommend a model, would like to do a price comparison with the one from my ID?

2) Is 22K + 9k +9k +9K enough for my case?

3) Many people recommend Cold Engine & Hong Huat Engineering. Can anyone PM me the contact?

4) If BTO from scratch, does it mean it is likely to be a 2 trip installation?

Icekachangman

Reaction score
Dear gurus,

my 13 yr old 3(9k) plus 1(18K) Panasonic aircon have decided to call it quit this evening..

read a bit in this thread and need to seek help,

- am looking at Daikin smile series -
is it good to get
~ 2 x 9K for 2 small rooms (system2) & 1 x 9K for master bed room plus 18K for living room (system2)
= 2 compressors

OR
~ simply a system 4 = 3 X 9k plus 18K for living room?
one compressor

any other suggestion / brands are most welcome...
trying to work with 4.5k
wife was saying in leu of higher electricity cost, she like to see 5 ticks .. save money in long term.. but 2 or 3 ticks ones are still ok? cheaper they are thou.

meanwhile if you can intro contractors/seller as well.

Many thanks

longfart

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have experience with any of the following installers?
1. Nat Aire (or aka DIY Appliances)
2. CT Air-con
3. Cre8tionbay Aircon (or aka Sgsaver)
Any experience/reviews will be much appreciated, thank you in advance!

terumo

Reaction score
How is your daily usage like?

Dear gurus,

my 13 yr old 3(9k) plus 1(18K) Panasonic aircon have decided to call it quit this evening..

read a bit in this thread and need to seek help,

- am looking at Daikin smile series -
is it good to get
~ 2 x 9K for 2 small rooms (system2) & 1 x 9K for master bed room plus 18K for living room (system2)
= 2 compressors

OR
~ simply a system 4 = 3 X 9k plus 18K for living room?
one compressor

any other suggestion / brands are most welcome...
trying to work with 4.5k
wife was saying in leu of higher electricity cost, she like to see 5 ticks .. save money in long term.. but 2 or 3 ticks ones are still ok? cheaper they are thou.

meanwhile if you can intro contractors/seller as well.

Many thanks

Icekachangman

Reaction score
How is your daily usage like?

would be nightly abt 8 hrs for 2 sleeping rooms
and hall would be 3 hrs at most daily

today happened to walk in All Best and was introduced to Toshiba sys 4 at 4099 compressor made in japan.. sounds good..hah

await yr input

Globe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, some advise please would be greatful.

have gotten a 4rm resale (91sqm). Plan was to hack away the kitchen to do open concept.

Read up a bit on aircon before going to various IDs. Basically you have to size up according to the area so that the aircon is not under power and work harder which will lead to more power consumption.

We wanted to put aircon in the living room as well (low usage, more like for family gatherings CNY etc) plus the 3 bedrooms. MBR will be use daily for sleeping at night.

One of the ID, or rather the only one out of 5 so far suggested to put 2 units in the living room due to the open concept kitchen.

May I know if any other bros here do similar open concept and how do you do up your air con.

terumo

Reaction score
Can tag all to a system 4, cheaper cost.
Toshiba latest model is made in Thailand, the made in Japan model should be the 2 ticks model.

would be nightly abt 8 hrs for 2 sleeping rooms
and hall would be 3 hrs at most daily

today happened to walk in All Best and was introduced to Toshiba sys 4 at 4099 compressor made in japan.. sounds good..hah

await yr input

Icekachangman

Reaction score
Can tag all to a system 4, cheaper cost.
Toshiba latest model is made in Thailand, the made in Japan model should be the 2 ticks model.

ya bro, just double check, its the mentioned 2 tick and compressor made in Japan.

cost is as u mentioned, system 4 cheaper.
However, i may have some existing challenges as some trucking runs conceal into wardrobe... haizz... may bot be able to totally change all piping and trucking liao.. sian half.

thanks anyway bro

Kadaj34

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, anyone know is it against HDB regulation to install window or casement aircon on window facing corridor?

ask a few second hand sellers and all give me different answers, abit confused by them.

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got a question here...

my aircon installer gives me free upgrade to 1/2 inch insulation.

i read that it is better to separate insulation... but due to my space constraint for laying casing, it may not be possible to separate insulation... my installer say as long as the joints are done properly should be fine.

anything i need to look out for? doing installation this thur. :s12:

coachie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I finally decided to go for Mitsubishi starmex (2 ticks):
MXY4A28VA / 2 X MSYGE10VA / 1 X MSYGE13VA / 1 X MSYGE24VA

I went to Gain city and they are selling the above model at $4160 (with upgraded materials and 1+4 years product shield).

The cheapest I found elsewhere is from Cold Engine at $3850. Difference is $310.

Is it worth paying $310 more for Gain City brand and the product shield????

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I finally decided to go for Mitsubishi starmex (2 ticks):
MXY4A28VA / 2 X MSYGE10VA / 1 X MSYGE13VA / 1 X MSYGE24VA

I went to Gain city and they are selling the above model at $4160 (with upgraded materials and 1+4 years product shield).

The cheapest I found elsewhere is from Cold Engine at $3850. Difference is $310.

Is it worth paying $310 more for Gain City brand and the product shield????

most importantly, is the workmanship. warranty are all with manufacturer, i.e. Mitsubishi...

in this instance, cheap doesn't mean no good...

and btw.. i got the above u quoted at a lower price... with higher BTU too... this guy i trust him cos we knew him for very long already

terumo

Reaction score
Best to use individual insulation.

got a question here...

my aircon installer gives me free upgrade to 1/2 inch insulation.

i read that it is better to separate insulation... but due to my space constraint for laying casing, it may not be possible to separate insulation... my installer say as long as the joints are done properly should be fine.

anything i need to look out for? doing installation this thur. :s12:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.