HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #7291

Anyone got lobang for ME 5 tick System 3?
Old 03-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #7292

can share review of your 5 tick? loud etc?
The compressor is right outside my bedroom. Once every hour or so, the compressor runs and it sounds like a motorbike being started in a far away distance (like maybe 300-400 metres away?).

The noise is very faint; more like white noise in the background. But even if I cover my ears with my pillows, I can still hear it, maybe even louder because of the vibration or something.

I'm not sure if I'll ever know about the energy saving from the 5-tick rating.

good price. You bought from gain city?
Yup. From Gain City @ Westgate. So far my experience was good from sales to installation. Too early for me to know about their after sales service.

Last edited by continuum; 03-05-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Old 03-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #7293

do surveys for vouchers

We are giving out $100 NTUC voucher to those who want to participate in the Air-con Consumption Study. To qualify, you need to have an aircon installed and fall under any of the following categories: (A) aircon installed before year 2008 and have no intention to replace; (B) replaced aircon January 2015 or later; (C) have intention to change aircon in the next 6 months. If you are interested, kindly call 85988014 and ask for dorcas. She will share with you more details about this study. Thank you and wish you a wonderful day!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #7294
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just installed the Mitsubishi Electric's 5 tick System 3 aircon (MXY-3G28VA) with MSXY-FJ13VE (12k BTU) for master bedroom and 2 x MSXY-FJ10VE (9k BTU) for common bedrooms.

The master bedroom aircon takes a very, very long time to cool the room (several hours) if all 3 bedrooms use aircon. If only 2 rooms use the aircon, it's fine.

I'll call Gain City to see if anything can be done, e.g. give priority to master bedroom. My flat is the old flat with unupgraded power loading.
Technically.. should expect slower cooling down if you on all 3 at the same time since total (12+9+9= 30) when the compressor is rated for 28. I don't know if it's normal to take that much longer time though.

What you can do is to on only master bedroom first. Once that room is cool and stable, then turn on air con in the other 2 rooms. Should be a lot faster
continuum likes this.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #7295
Supremacy Member

I was pondering between Starmex and Mit Heavy(MHI) last year. Was finally convinced by the installer to go for MHI as lower electric bill, auto cleaning function and slight cheaper price.

I asked the worker that came to install which is better aircon in the market since he did so many installation. He said reliable brand that often seen are good, dun go for EuropAce, Minea or new brand. Though they source the jap parts but not as reliable.

Do you find your MHI not so cold?
Old 03-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #7296

Do you find your MHI not so cold?
I find it still okay. I am setting it to 25-26C since installed. Still have to use blanket when sleeping. Not sure about other aircon...
Old 03-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #7297
Supremacy Member

I find it still okay. I am setting it to 25-26C since installed. Still have to use blanket when sleeping. Not sure about other aircon...
are you able to tell the difference in term of cold between 18 and 25 degree?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #7298

To be honest, why do so many people want the latest models. The old 2 ticks starmex has been serving well in so many homes for number of years, the old daikin inverter model even longer and 2 ticks Panasonic been doing ok so far. Now seeing the new 5 ticks starmex is noisy and less powerful and the saw the video of the new Panasonic with nanoeg problem. Sometimes i think stick to the tried and tested stuff is always best. As the saying goes, why fix something that isn't broken.

Also aircon is aircon, whether 2 or 5 ticks there is still going to be a big difference in your bill compared to a non air con user. The only way to effectively save is to cut down on your aircon usage.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #7299
Master Member

To be honest, why do so many people want the latest models. The old 2 ticks starmex has been serving well in so many homes for number of years, the old daikin inverter model even longer and 2 ticks Panasonic been doing ok so far. Now seeing the new 5 ticks starmex is noisy and less powerful and the saw the video of the new Panasonic with nanoeg problem. Sometimes i think stick to the tried and tested stuff is always best. As the saying goes, why fix something that isn't broken.

Also aircon is aircon, whether 2 or 5 ticks there is still going to be a big difference in your bill compared to a non air con user. The only way to effectively save is to cut down on your aircon usage.
When i bought mine panasonic new model it was on promotion, price was similar to old 2 tick.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:45 PM   #7300

Hi All,

Am considering Starmex and the YORK system 4 (4 ticks) advertised on coolworld.

It is $1400 cheaper than starmex sys 4(5 tick).

I have been to a number of offices and most of them are running on YORK aircon, seemed like an established brand with reliable machines?

Would like to ask if anyone would like to share their experience with YORK air con units? Heard its very popular in Malaysia as well.

Please share.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:07 PM   #7301

are you able to tell the difference in term of cold between 18 and 25 degree?
18 degree is cold. When the aircon was just installed last year, the installer set it to 18C. Even the floor was cold.

But for my usage, I just want the humidity in the room out. 26C is just nice. Maybe will lower the temp when aircon get older(or not cold)

Stupid humidity these days, looking at my iphone weather app, its 30C with 75% humdity...

Last edited by TigerzBeer; 03-05-2016 at 11:19 PM..
Old 03-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #7302

Hi All,

Am considering Starmex and the YORK system 4 (4 ticks) advertised on coolworld.

It is $1400 cheaper than starmex sys 4(5 tick).

I have been to a number of offices and most of them are running on YORK aircon, seemed like an established brand with reliable machines?

Would like to ask if anyone would like to share their experience with YORK air con units? Heard its very popular in Malaysia as well.

Please share.
York dun seem to be a established brand, maybe I am wrong. But I will opt for reliable brand to save me trouble later on. Unless your home is for rental or budget constraint. You will not want repair problem to revisit you every now and then...
Old 03-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #7303

Only inverter and non inverter aircon will make a big diff. My old Toshiba installed in 1999 was non inverter, those days bills should have been higher than hundred or two I guess...
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 AM   #7304
High Supremacy Member

All stil under warranty just whack and use. Any problem sufface can call them. if after 1yr warrnaty no problem likely should be ok then depending on luck how long the system can last.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #7305
Arch-Supremacy Member

These days you can try to cut down as much as you can, but with the heat the way it is these days people would rather pay that extra electricity bill for a good night sleep. I wish I could, but the renovations for my new place are not completed yet (should be within the next week or so) and there's no aircon at my mother's place (there is, but piping is leaking and it's concealed and my mother is not willing to hack to get to the piping and rather go without)

I got the 2-tick for my new place actually, and I'd posted some pages back about the smaller fancoil size and false ceiling / L-box cutout issue. I'm sticking with it though ... cheaper upfront 2-tick vs more expensive upfront 5-tick ... you only save with the 5-tick in the long run (read: after a few years of usage) but also depends on your usage ... if you are not a heavy aircon user then even after e.g. 5 years of electricity bills, a 2-tick owner will still pay less total (i.e. aircon itself + electricity bills) than a 5-tick owner.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.