HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #7366
Master Member

All Best quoted below $3900.

MXY-4A38VA x 1
MSY-GE26VA x 1
MSY-GE10VA x 3
60months workmanship warranty.

I know All Best got bad reviews, but they seems to offer the best bang. I'm kinda leaning towards them.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #7367
Master Member

That is why I felt strange too, I asked ME Starmex 5 ticks Sys 3 :

MXY-3G28VA
MSXY-FJ13VE (12,000 BTU) x 1
MSXY-FJ10VE (9,000 BTU) x 2

Total Burn : $3195.00, must be cash payment.
This price include new piping installation?
Old 08-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #7368
Supremacy Member

MXY-4A38VA x 1
MSY-GE26VA x 1
MSY-GE10VA x 3

I know All Best got bad reviews, but they seems to offer the best bang. I'm kinda leaning towards them.
what's the point if you are gonna end up being a recurring cash cow for them?

I believe many people who face issues with their units were due to poor workmanship rather than poor QC

case in point, me
Old 08-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #7369

Hi Cleven,

Thanks for the information. I have looked at a few other providers as well, but after reading through this whole entire thread, I have learned that the installation of the air con plays a critical part as well, and Gain City seems to have a fleet of technicians who are well posed to install the units? I went to a few website and they offer 1 year installation warranty, GC is offering 3 years.......

There are so many stories of condensation leaking, ducts not installed properly, coolant leaking etc.... I was thinking 3 years warranty seems more secured compared to 1 year?

As for the quote for Starmex, you quoted MXY4A28 (2 tick model), the one I saw was MXY-4G28VA (5 tick) system 4. The 2 tick model at GC was selling at $4.3k. I was hesitant about the 5 ticks starmex because of the under powered compressor, which many here have mentioned, upgrading the compressor unit cost another extra $1.2k bringing it to $6k......

Hence I looked at the other options on displayed at GC and found the YORK model (4 ticks) at $3.8 k, the compressor is at higher capacity than starmex, but the sales guy told me its made in China, but the warranty is the same as starmex.

But the members here seemed to be quite against YORK, but a few of my friends who's using YORK in their offices mentioned it is quite an "OK" model, it cools the room fast and seem quiet, but then again, its the estate management that maintains the air cons, so they don't know about the serviceability of YORK.

Alternatively I would be getting the 2 ticks model, but I read on NEA its efficiency is 1 to 2 whole point below YORK and Starmex (5 ticks)....

Such headaches....... I don't mind paying a little more for starmex(5 tick) if it proves worthy, but the figures does show it is under capacity and it will be quite silly of me to ignore the figures?

At the end of the day, many here say its depends on luck if we get a good or bad experience, but since all else is the same, then pricing at the start would be the determining factor?
Ah, sorry for the overlook that yours is the 5 ticks model. I'm not going for that, to me, it's still quite new, not sure if that's stable yet. While I can go for newer phone, I can't do the same for aircon. If phone not stable, can change easier, but it's too troublesome for aircon.

As for GC, there's lots of other bad reviews as well from other sources, not just workmanship, people complained that their customer service sucks & they pushed for dept to dept should you ever need troubleshooting. Hence, so what if they give you 3 yrs installation warranty, point is would you have problem getting people to solve your problem in the first place? Some of the bad reviews were from other forums or even individual user's blogging their reno on their blogs. I ever saw bad reviews like someone really regretted engaging GC even though after the friend advised to avoid cos GC installers damaged the cupboard during installation, the person went ahead with GC & its installers damaged the floor. Yet, they can't complain to GC cos it would be the installers who had to pay for the damages but they weren't earning that much in the first place.

I don't know about York, but my 1st & current aircon is McQuay, which is no longer selling in Sg market. When we told some friends the brand of our aircon, some didn't even hear about it. We had this installed in 2000 & was not by big company. Today, it's still doing fine except that the compressor got louder. Back then, Internet was still not that common, so cannot check if this brand & installer company were good, so we just went ahead with it. Now, with Internet, actually it made us more difficult to decide, concerns built up as the reading built up.

Ultimately I would choose a company that's willing to come to my place to do a non obligatory site survey & looked at my house's constraints, shared with us on the proposed routes. Through the conversation, can at least get a sense of their knowledge. An installer himself or someone on the ground to do the site survey would be better than a salesperson. This my personal's opinion.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #7370

Btw, just to add on, I did ask a company if they can offer similar installation warranty as another company since the pricing is the same, only the installation warranty is the only difference. The reply was that they believed in good workmanship & materials used for the installation at the very beginning, that is why they give only a year of workmanship warranty. Thinking of it, it does make some sense. No point having lengthy installation warranty if the workmanship, materials, customer service, etc, are not that good. Imagine still under installation warranty even after a yr but you can't get the company to resolve the problem for you. Hence, for certain company that I saw lots of bad reviews from past till even now, e.g. All Best, sorry, I'll still give it a miss, no matter how attractive the price is.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #7371
Master Member

what's the point if you are gonna end up being a recurring cash cow for them?

I believe many people who face issues with their units were due to poor workmanship rather than poor QC

case in point, me
Kinda agree with you. Anyway, Best Tech quoted even more aggressively,around 3.7k, except it's 24K BTU for living room.

So best tech or all best or?

Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #7372

Meaning, they use back the existing pipings of your existing aircon. If need to install new pipings etc, there will be additional charge.
From my understanding, only bracket are normally excluded. The rest of material eg pipes, aircon unit are all in the price, rite?

Unless you want better ones, you have to pay more of course...
Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #7373

Is CT Aircon good? Anybody used it before?
They prices is very much cheaper than all big companies.
CT Aircon was one on my list when I googled "cheap aircon singapore" last year and there are another one I forgotten.

But then I stumbled on Lazada and founded "Supreme Aircon" which offered Starmex Sys 3 under $3k. So I went for Supreme Air instead.

Supreme Aircon I believe the guy was MHI dealer and he persuaded me to get MHI instead of Starmex. He did not hard sell me MHI but gave me time to think over and discuss with family. And I took MHI as it was cheaper by $50-100, lower electric usage, auto clean. So far no regret after 1 year
Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #7374

But the members here seemed to be quite against YORK, but a few of my friends who's using YORK in their offices mentioned it is quite an "OK" model, it cools the room fast and seem quiet, but then again, its the estate management that maintains the air cons, so they don't know about the serviceability of YORK.

At the end of the day, many here say its depends on luck if we get a good or bad experience, but since all else is the same, then pricing at the start would be the determining factor?
Hi bro, I was like you also. I rem I went to Courts during March when LKY passed away period. The Courts sale personnel recommended me EuroAce System 3 which was above $3k.

After doing the research online I realized I could get Starmex System around the same price. And of course it is no brainer to choose Starmex rather than Europace with almost the same price.

York is not so recommended as I heard from the installer saying he got customer from hotel cursing and swearing as it broke down pretty often...
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #7375

Besides lowest prices so far, how about their workmanship and services.
Hi bro,
Workmanship wise I would say it also depend on the house setting. When the installer was pulling out my old piping, I saw many joining and angling. Eg pipes not long enough they have to use tape and gel to join it, angle where the pipes have to be bend proper to ensure water flow smoothly. This you may want to be there to supervise(eye power ) that they do a good job.

My old aircon pipes when they pulled out, the installer told me that the previous installer did a good job. Those angling were bended with some instrument to 90 degree which he said he cannot do for me as he hand bending it. Luckily thing still work well after a year...

Last edited by TigerzBeer; 08-05-2016 at 04:31 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #7376
Arch-Supremacy Member

MXY-4A38VA x 1
MSY-GE26VA x 1
MSY-GE10VA x 3

I'm quite sure it's not 4a38 but 4a28. Impossible for them to offer 38 at that price. Better double check with them again just to be sure
Old 08-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #7377

The reply was that they believed in good workmanship & materials used for the installation at the very beginning, that is why they give only a year of workmanship warranty. Thinking of it, it does make some sense. No point having lengthy installation warranty if the workmanship, materials, customer service, etc, are not that good. Imagine still under installation warranty even after a yr but you can't get the company to resolve the problem for you. Hence, for certain company that I saw lots of bad reviews from past till even now, e.g. All Best, sorry, I'll still give it a miss, no matter how attractive the price is.
Hi bro,
I recommend Supreme Aircon if you interested to explore futher. The boss Texan Chia, was a nice guy who did not hard sell to me and the installer was also good(no issue on my installation since last year).

The boss is in his 50-60s, a local and was a PBM and Treasurer of ZhongHua Pri Sch. But you have to do you own due diligence to check and decide..

Last edited by TigerzBeer; 08-05-2016 at 04:49 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #7378

Strangely, why no one want Daikin air-con? Out of 10 reply, no one mention about Daikin air-con?
I think its fine to go for Daikin. The brand is reliable in the aircon industry. If the price and warranty is right for you, can proceed...

Hope you will be back to give some frank reviews later
Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #7379

Oso you need to ask about gas leakage, need to top-up gas, is it under installation warranty?
How does top-up aircon gas done? Can DIY ownself?
Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #7380

Hi bro,
I recommend Supreme Aircon if you interested to explore futher. The boss Texan Chia, was a nice guy who did not hard sell to me and the installer was also good(no issue on my installation since last year).

The boss is in his 50-60s, a local and was a PBM and Treasurer of ZhongHua Pri Sch. But you have to do you own due diligence to check and decide..
Thanks! But is Supreme Aircon more for MHI?

Actually my wife is the one doing most of the research for our hse reno & feeding me with the information. She stopped her work to look after & teach the kids. She's much more detailed than me as her previous job involved scrutinising quotations & vendors, haha... I'm only more actively reading here whereas she has read lots of other forums & blogs, here including, & told me about the reviews about the various companies.

She told me to avoid All Best, Best Tech, suspects to be "related". GC's camp split 1/2 1/2, a grp strongly recommends & another grp strongly advises against it. Aircon Design, which was our last installer & also the one servicing our current aircons, she found the quotation to be exp & since we have been them for yrs for servicing, they didn't even offer us any complimentary servicing, so she's not considering them anymore. The one recommended by our ID isn't that cheap either although it would be easier to coordinate but a whopping $500 difference, so she's not considering them either. Neighbourhood shop like Goh Ah Bee, they outsourced it to Dr Cool, & price wise not that cheap either, 4.1+k but not using the better materials.

She browsed a lot of forums/blogs as she said cannot trust one source for feedback, example like renotalk, those who speak good of the company could be the company self promoting themselves, likewise those who speak ill of a company could be a competitor bad mouthing other companies. She said if a company doesn't bother to do a non obligatory site survey before you make a purchase, then she doesn't bother to consider that company too, cos if pre-sales already yaya papaya, can imagine how post-sales can be...
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.