HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #8101
Supremacy Member

My Starmex Sys 3 just broke down last week, only 1 year 3 months and the main pcb started giving problem. Total repair cost about $4xx.

Did a search online and seems like Starmex pcb always spoil... hopefully I don't have to change again 12 months later.
Ya, my old starmex of 15 years, changed PCB don't know how many times. The final problem is also diagnose as PCB problem, but was told no more PCB stock available and that's why had to change air con.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #8102
Supremacy Member

New artcool Platinum sys3, FCs 12k + 9k + 24k with CU A4UQ26GFA2 (5Ticks)

about $3.7k with $200 choice voucher before all the top ups for GS extended warranty and piping/insulation upgrade.

It was really a last min switch from 2ticks Starmex to 5ticks LG, one day before the scheduled installation. Cuz suay suay our less than 3yo MBR single split starmex broke down 3 days before the arrival of new system 3 for 2 common rooms and living room. Had a family discussion and wifey doesn't trust starmex no more. Texted my GC sales guy and surprisingly he still entertained us even after we have made full payment top notch service provided by Eric from marina sq branch (am in now way related to him, but really need to praise him for the service he provided).

Wifey did a detailed price comparison, factoring in the cost of 5yr extended warranty (covering parts and labor and transport) from GC and annual power consumption and assuming the new sys3 will serve us for next 5 years before next aircon sys change, operating cost for 5 years + equipment cost for the annyeong LG is still lower than the sawadee Starmex.

Specs on LG website for the CU is at 29.6k btu, but NEA tested result is around 22k btu. I believe NEA's result is closer to reality cuz it takes more than an hr to cool down my living room (around 50sqm) to 26degC.

GC's pricing is in general on the higher side but what attracts me is the 5 years all covered EW although you need to top up for the EW but hey one faulty PCB(and you have multiple fancoils) is enough to wipe out all the savings if you go with companies that can offer you 2-300 dollars cheaper but without extended warranty options. This is just my humble opinion.

Using a starmex inverter which failed me in less than 3 years so, don't know which brand i can trust now. lol. (only trust the warranty now hahahaha)
The real power uncapped @3 ticks is 29.6k. the loss power is because it was capped to obtained the 5 ticks.

anyway my sis also got a 24k btu starmex for her living room. also took forever to cool it down. the 5 ticks compressor has no power cross all brand is what i was told.

i like to ask how much is the extended warranty because i may get it if it is not expensive. less than 250 i will get it. because two trips (touched wood) already earn back liao.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #8103
Supremacy Member

Ya, my old starmex of 15 years, changed PCB don't know how many times. The final problem is also diagnose as PCB problem, but was told no more PCB stock available and that's why had to change air con.

so far the most tekong one still daikin. however their parts not cheapest in the market. my course mate works for daikin and he say their repair department focus alot on training of their staff so even repair also no half past 6 Foreign Talent standard. also he did comment that daikin repair dept very free one. haha maybe he is biased but i share here for your reference.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #8104

The real power uncapped @3 ticks is 29.6k. the loss power is because it was capped to obtained the 5 ticks.

anyway my sis also got a 24k btu starmex for her living room. also took forever to cool it down. the 5 ticks compressor has no power cross all brand is what i was told.

i like to ask how much is the extended warranty because i may get it if it is not expensive. less than 250 i will get it. because two trips (touched wood) already earn back liao.
EW not cheap and also depends on brand. The CU I have can hook up to 4 fancoils although I only have 3. EW of this LG is 499.

The starmex sys 3 ( Max 3 fancoils) 2 ticks which I initially ordered, the EW is 439.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #8105
Supremacy Member

the two guys from GC who installed my sys 3 were quite good with the pipings/trunking, only issue was the drilling part, and not sure if the blame was on them or should i blame the precaster of the wall. supposed to drill a 3" x 2", but the end results was like rifle gunshot wound , the side where they drilled from, was a nicely done 3"x 2" hole, but on the other side . I heard the guy who drilled the wall cursing "diu"

also the clearance between top of aircon and ceiling, out of 3 fancoils, only 1 has the recommended 200mm clearance. seems like most of the installers go by the rule of thumb of 3".

lesson learnt, next time should really go thru the installation manual that comes with the fancoil before installation starts to ensure the brand/model specific requirements are captured.

Guess it is really heng suay.
i thought clearance of 200mm at top of aircon is known since years ago, i rem only one brand dun need 200mm becoz they tilted their fcu fan 45 degrees.

my current starmex sys 3 (2 ticks) of 3 years has less than 200mm due to wall constraint so i understand the lack of cooling ability. however no excuses for constant breakdown and reduced power.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #8106

i thought clearance of 200mm at top of aircon is known since years ago, i rem only one brand dun need 200mm becoz they tilted their fcu fan 45 degrees.

my current starmex sys 3 (2 ticks) of 3 years has less than 200mm due to wall constraint so i understand the lack of cooling ability. however no excuses for constant breakdown and reduced power.
Apparently my installers are not aware of it. Lol
Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #8107
Supremacy Member

EW not cheap and also depends on brand. The CU I have can hook up to 4 fancoils although I only have 3. EW of this LG is 499.

The starmex sys 3 ( Max 3 fancoils) 2 ticks which I initially ordered, the EW is 439.
Nataire abt the same amount to top up after i enquire top up to artcool fcu (+about $500 from $2425 system 3 , 3 ticks).

i maybe getting the LG sys 3, 3 ticks compressor and upgrade to art cool FCU from nat aire.

i may drop the extended warranty if nat aire also charges more than $300.

also i may add one normal FCU topup from the system 3 artcool (nat aire allows customisation as LG compressor is same for sys 3 and sys 4) with one unit of 24k for living room as i find 2 x 12k fcu cool the living room better than 1x 24k btu

Last edited by tanjhj; 09-07-2016 at 10:53 PM..
Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #8108
Supremacy Member

Apparently my installers are not aware of it. Lol
is not aware haha , just that many hdb has wall design limitation so they just close one eye else they cant install liao. in msia, most of the air con i see is installed with big gaps from the ceiling.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:51 PM   #8109
Supremacy Member

Hey guys, I heard Courts offers free extended warranty of 5 years for some of the air con, i wanna ask if courts extended warranty of 5 years is as comprehensive as GC's? thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #8110

Nataire abt the same amount to top up after i enquire top up to artcool fcu (+about $500 from $2425 system 3 , 3 ticks).

i maybe getting the LG sys 3, 3 ticks compressor and upgrade to art cool FCU from nat aire.

i may drop the extended warranty if nat aire also charges more than $300.

also i may get one more normal FCU topup from the system 3 artcool (nat aire allows customisation as LG compressor is same for sys 3 and sys 4) with one unit of 24k for living room as i find 2 x 12k fcu cool the living room better than 1x 24k btu
Oh yeah, u are right on the 24k for living room. Was thinking of 2x12k also but dropped the idea as it will spoil my lighting feature. Lol. Now suffering from inadequate coverage of cool air hahaha
Old 09-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #8111
Supremacy Member

Oh yeah, u are right on the 24k for living room. Was thinking of 2x12k also but dropped the idea as it will spoil my lighting feature. Lol. Now suffering from inadequate coverage of cool air hahaha
lifeis like that, win some lose some. now i also headache because one fcu will be normal, one will be white artcool. design also headache as u just make me realised it.

may have to drop the normal fcu or both are normal fcu. wonder will LG still give $200 voucher if i only get only two artcool FCU? lol.

i seriously find the black mirror eyesore and conflict with my light sky blue wall color and birch color floor theme.

Last edited by tanjhj; 09-07-2016 at 11:07 PM..
Old 09-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #8112

didnt know mitsubishi have 2 branding
heavy industries vs electric ,

which one is better product? both said to make in thailand?

or should i get lg one made in korea
Old 10-07-2016, 03:19 AM   #8113
Supremacy Member

didnt know mitsubishi have 2 branding
heavy industries vs electric ,

which one is better product? both said to make in thailand?

or should i get lg one made in korea
they claim both made in china anyway both equally sucks now or shld i say not better than other brand. if u ask about features and tech, MHI suppose to be newer and has more features.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #8114

Have done up my Daikin system 4 , happy with the air conditioning, I like the features like , home leave mode, eco mode , outdoor silent mode , mold clean to avoid foul smell and sleep mode increase temperature to ideal air conditioning, all these features really help to cut down the electricity usuage, and the cooling is superb.
As Daikin is not suitable with budget constrain, it cost me $4850 done by Pro Shop Fortuna.

As old saying goes, Daikin only made air conditioning.
carlover76, terumo and jaydentk like this.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #8115

Ouch...

Will prefer Daikin if not for the cost.

Was provided the quote of $2950 with 2 12k Fancoil and a system 3 compressor.

I keep on asking the saleman which brand is better and always gotten the model answer.

"Electronic heng sway one leh. No such thing as which brand is better."

If you like starmex then starmex better lor, Daikin then daiken better...

Listen until i know how to repeat liao.

the two guys from GC who installed my sys 3 were quite good with the pipings/trunking, only issue was the drilling part, and not sure if the blame was on them or should i blame the precaster of the wall. supposed to drill a 3" x 2", but the end results was like rifle gunshot wound , the side where they drilled from, was a nicely done 3"x 2" hole, but on the other side . I heard the guy who drilled the wall cursing "diu"

also the clearance between top of aircon and ceiling, out of 3 fancoils, only 1 has the recommended 200mm clearance. seems like most of the installers go by the rule of thumb of 3".

lesson learnt, next time should really go thru the installation manual that comes with the fancoil before installation starts to ensure the brand/model specific requirements are captured.

Guess it is really heng suay.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.