HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #8131

what promo now?
Free upgrade from 9k btu fancoil to 12k btu fancoil.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #8132

i am deciding between MHI or Daikin for a Sys4
i viewed at GC the sys4 model which they offered $4229

SCM80ZJS
3XSRK35MAS
1XSRK60ZMX

Issue here is because I will be hacking the kitchen, I will definitely need a stronger aircon unit for the living room to cool the kitchen area as well
any advice what kind of setup i should go for between MHI and Daikin??
wow! open concept kitchen, I like it. Are you going to use your living room aircon when you cook? If you are, you may end up needing more frequent maintenance and chemical cleaning for the living room fancoil.

also having looked at your layout, after hacking off the kitchen wall, one unit of 24k BTU (in theory it is adequate, if estimate purely based on the volume to be cooled) may not be able to effectively cover the entire living room + kitchen cuz the combined layout is not a perfect rectangular shape and it may take longer/forever to cool down the far corner, like what bro tanjhj mentioned, 2 x 12k BTU maybe a better option for you.

Just my opinion, if there is any constraints that you cant have 2 fancoils in your living room + open concept kitchen, then maybe you can consider having an air circulator to push the cold air to the far corner. it will be noisy thought. just my humble opinion.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #8133
Arch-Supremacy Member

wow! open concept kitchen, I like it. Are you going to use your living room aircon when you cook? If you are, you may end up needing more frequent maintenance and chemical cleaning for the living room fancoil.

also having looked at your layout, after hacking off the kitchen wall, one unit of 24k BTU (in theory it is adequate, if estimate purely based on the volume to be cooled) may not be able to effectively cover the entire living room + kitchen cuz the combined layout is not a perfect rectangular shape and it may take longer/forever to cool down the far corner, like what bro tanjhj mentioned, 2 x 12k BTU maybe a better option for you.

Just my opinion, if there is any constraints that you cant have 2 fancoils in your living room + open concept kitchen, then maybe you can consider having an air circulator to push the cold air to the far corner. it will be noisy thought. just my humble opinion.
if we are cooking then not going to turn on the aircon...
there is natural ventilation coming from service yard so that should be enough
Old 11-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #8134
Arch-Supremacy Member

Free upgrade from 9k btu fancoil to 12k btu fancoil.
Hmm i just realised mine sys 2 also upgraded to the 12k btu fan coil but my compressor total only 21k btu. Any repercussions that i need to be aware of?

And the person say install electrical works plus installation take half day only... Zhun bo?

Old 11-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #8135
Arch-Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=deathscthe;102453555]Hmm i just realised mine sys 2 also upgraded to the 12k btu fan coil but my compressor total only 21k btu. Any repercussions that i need to be aware of?

And the person say install electrical works plus installation take half day only... Zhun bo?

Old 11-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #8136

if we are cooking then not going to turn on the aircon...
there is natural ventilation coming from service yard so that should be enough
what i meant was, if you place your 24k fancoil at living room, then your kitchen area may take longer to cool down. due to inadequate airflow, vice versa.

hence the 2x12k option helps to increase the coverage but similar cooling capacity.

having an air circulator, or just a stand fan can boost your cool air coverage too.

my living room is about 50sqm, a perfectly rectangular shape, with the 24k alone, and i placed digital thermometer at different location, those corners that are really far away from fancoil are registering +1 to +2 degs higher than my set temp. so i use a vornado to better "distribute" the cooled air lol.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #8137

Yes half day is doable. Depending on their speed. At most is one day.

Oversizing your fcu will lead to higher than ideal humidity levels in your room.
agree with you on the humidity level, my parents are complaining about dry skin and lips after i dropped in a 12k for that common room.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #8138
Arch-Supremacy Member

what i meant was, if you place your 24k fancoil at living room, then your kitchen area may take longer to cool down. due to inadequate airflow, vice versa.

hence the 2x12k option helps to increase the coverage but similar cooling capacity.

having an air circulator, or just a stand fan can boost your cool air coverage too.

my living room is about 50sqm, a perfectly rectangular shape, with the 24k alone, and i placed digital thermometer at different location, those corners that are really far away from fancoil are registering +1 to +2 degs higher than my set temp. so i use a vornado to better "distribute" the cooled air lol.
ideally that one unit will be placed at the support beam (1.6m) running across the bedroom and the common toilet. exact location will be the one circled in red.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #8139
Supremacy Member

Hmm. I saw ur plan i guess u will put it at corridor same place as what one of the house warming i went. All i can say is u may not be able to achieve ur idea or level of cooling esp u toking abt natural ventilation now. Or using Vornado fan maybe another idea to cool down but may not be enuff. Ur floor plan n open kitchen is quite similar to the house i went for housewarming n i spotted some issues with the house air con cooling, hence i changed my system 3 to sys 4 straight.

Last edited by tanjhj; 11-07-2016 at 11:30 PM..
Old 11-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #8140
Supremacy Member

Fyi guys, your cai money spot in ur house better without air con but need water. Certain level of Humidity is needed for money qi to flow. So dun over dry ur place.

Also open kitchen concept in hdb is quite leak wealth n prevent holding of bad qi (if needed). Would advise consulting a good fs master better be cautious.

Advice from a fs master i trust. N case study for your reference http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/27082-open-concept-kitchen-good-for-fengshui/

Last edited by tanjhj; 11-07-2016 at 11:31 PM..
Old 11-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #8141
Supremacy Member

MHI now have promo for all 12k btu unit
12k btu consume more electricity too.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #8142
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hmm. I saw ur plan i guess u will put it there. All i can say is u may not be able to achieve ur idea or level of cooling esp u toking abt natural ventilation now. Or Vornado maybe another idea to cool down but maybe still not enuff. Ur floor plan n open kitchen quite similar to a house i went to n i spotted the issues of the house air con hence i changed my system 3 to sys 4 straight.
not sure what you mean by the natural ventilation.
usually if we are cooking, we will not turn on the aircon and depend only on the wind coming through the service yard for cooling.
if we turn on the aircon, then naturally we will shut the service yard bifold door and louvre windows.
so your suggestion is to go sys 5 to compensate for the space?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #8143

Hi all,

Looking to cool my really small room. Dont have the exact measurements but its a slightly larger laundry room. Only enough space to put in my bed and a table. Roughly 2sq m?

That said, whats the best way to install aircon in my room? Fans are just not cutting it in this heat..
Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #8144
Supremacy Member

Hmm i just realised mine sys 2 also upgraded to the 12k btu fan coil but my compressor total only 21k btu. Any repercussions that i need to be aware of?

12k btu even at idle consume more electricity is what u must consider thou it has faster cooling ability. the key for you should be to ask if u need a 12k or whether u can get cash discount opting for 9k.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #8145
Supremacy Member

not sure what you mean by the natural ventilation.
usually if we are cooking, we will not turn on the aircon and depend only on the wind coming through the service yard for cooling.
if we turn on the aircon, then naturally we will shut the service yard bifold door and louvre windows.
so your suggestion is to go sys 5 to compensate for the space?
if you still insist of open concept kitchen, for your floor plan, you will need a system 5 to get proper cooling and coverage. however it may also affect ur reno looks as you now need trunking to go to one near your kitchen and one at your tv area (instead of one at centre of your house as u saw us).

you can proceed with system 4 as planned but two tornado or 1 ceiling fan to blow the air into area not cooled by the 24k fcu. however it kinda defeat your original plan.

alternatively u can install a sys 3 for your rooms and a system 2 for your living room. the price of a system 3 and system 2 is not far off from a system 4 and 5. also it kinda prevent a disaster when the only compressor breaks down.

a 24kbtu needs 7KW to function properly and u should be able to see that not much compressor has abv 10kW for 4 to 5 fcu to be on at same time and most of high capacity compressor has only 2 ticks rating.

actually 1x casette air con at ceiling will solve your problem but alas hdb height may not be tall enough. haha.

Last edited by tanjhj; 11-07-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.