HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #811
Supremacy Member

Thanks for your advice, chnlianghere.

Update :
Giving the benefit of doubt to the air-con contractor that my ID recommended, the air-con contractor SMSed me just after lunch today that for the price of S$2,100 he quoted me for the Panasonic Sys 3, it will be G22 pipings with Armaflex 3/4" insulation foam. There will also be a S$100 NTUC vouchers.

All my other air-con quotes with the same price are using only G23 pipings with Armaflex 1/2" insulation foam.

Guess becuse it is through my ID's recommendation that I am getting a better deal with the same price.

Think I will stick to the air-con contractor recommended by my ID.

Thanks for your advice.
wow...tat is very gd!

but than havin 3/4" insulation wil make your truckin more thicker leh. so dont really recommend very thick one. although "the thicker the better", but no point use tat thick. 1/2" insulation is really enough.. using 3/4" is too kiasu.

Last edited by chunlianghere; 31-08-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Old 31-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #812

wow...tat is very gd!

but than havin 3/4" insulation wil make your truckin more thicker leh. so dont really recommend very thick one. although "the thicker the better", but no point use tat thick. 1/2" insulation is really enough.. using 3/4" is too kiasu.
Yes, Sir, you are right.

For the 3/4" insulation foam, he mentioned that the trucking will be 6 x 4", which is super super thick and bulky in my master bed-room.

But luckily, it is only by the side of the wall furthest away for my room door, plus with the bed in the middle of the room, the trucking may not be so obvious from outside.

Well, when he came to my empty place to look at the rooms and give me a quote, he brought along a small sample of the foam, a short stretch of the copper pipings and also a small section of the 6 X 4" truckings and provided me with the quote mentioned above.

I did ask him whether the whole installation will be cheaper if I choose 1/2" Armaflex foam instead, however, he has not reply me yet.
Old 31-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #813

When compressor cut off, the outdoor will stop running but indoor will continue to run.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #814

how long do u let it run fan mode?

25/26 degrees is the most optimised temp. cos at tat time, the temp is reached, tats y the compressor is stop.

congrats on your new aircon!
Thanks for your help, ChunLiang.

Initially, GC quoted ME sys4, with 5yrs warranty + upgrade + 1yr servicing $4.7.
Last 2wks I passby GC CCK to look look see see wash machine, lcd..., Same sale man told me GC has promotion on 22nd-23 Aug, free 5yrs warranty. He quoted me MHI, sys4, with 5warranty + upgrade, $3999 with interest free installment. Compare to ME & MHI, around $500 difference, so I purchased MHI. Installation, mid Sept.

Current national sys3 Aircon (i think it's non inverter, from previous owner), I switched to fan mode around 8+, then my wife will off it around 10.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #815
Supremacy Member

Thanks for your help, ChunLiang.

Initially, GC quoted ME sys4, with 5yrs warranty + upgrade + 1yr servicing $4.7.
Last 2wks I passby GC CCK to look look see see wash machine, lcd..., Same sale man told me GC has promotion on 22nd-23 Aug, free 5yrs warranty. He quoted me MHI, sys4, with 5warranty + upgrade, $3999 with interest free installment. Compare to ME & MHI, around $500 difference, so I purchased MHI. Installation, mid Sept.

Current national sys3 Aircon (i think it's non inverter, from previous owner), I switched to fan mode around 8+, then my wife will off it around 10.
ok.. remember to take pic of your new aircon installation! old aircon also..
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #816
Master Member

wow...tat is very gd!

hehehe... that's me! Kiasu using 3/4"! hehe...

some places my trunkings are a massive 4" x 8"!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #817
Master Member

Thanks for your advice, chnlianghere.

Update :
Giving the benefit of doubt to the air-con contractor that my ID recommended, the air-con contractor SMSed me just after lunch today that for the price of S$2,100 he quoted me for the Panasonic Sys 3, it will be G22 pipings with Armaflex 3/4" insulation foam. There will also be a S$100 NTUC vouchers.

All my other air-con quotes with the same price are using only G23 pipings with Armaflex 1/2" insulation foam.

Guess becuse it is through my ID's recommendation that I am getting a better deal with the same price.

Think I will stick to the air-con contractor recommended by my ID.

Thanks for your advice.
hm... judging from the price, it must be a non-inverter rite?

although i do agree that G22 piping + 3/4" insulation seems somewhat overkill... then again it is better materials he is using... so why not? As long as if you can stand the huge trunkings.

Also, if the installer anyhow bend the copper pipes without proper tools (as pointed out by terumo), and the pipes end up not cylindrical you'll get build-up and lost in pressure along the bent areas which would lead to very cold spots and sweating even if you do have 3/4" insulation.

For me, i would take a day off and be present during the installation just to make sure they dun cut corners to save time.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #818

Air Con Installation and Services

Visit www.geocool.weebly.com
Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #819

hm... judging from the price, it must be a non-inverter rite?

although i do agree that G22 piping + 3/4" insulation seems somewhat overkill... then again it is better materials he is using... so why not? As long as if you can stand the huge trunkings.

Also, if the installer anyhow bend the copper pipes without proper tools (as pointed out by terumo), and the pipes end up not cylindrical you'll get build-up and lost in pressure along the bent areas which would lead to very cold spots and sweating even if you do have 3/4" insulation.

For me, i would take a day off and be present during the installation just to make sure they dun cut corners to save time.
Yes, it is a non-inverter. All the air-con guys who came to view and quote me said that the compressor for Inverters are too big to be shifted out of the window to the air-con ledge outside.

Except maybe the D@ikin inverters. But then D@ikin inverters system are way way over my budget, so I decided on a Panas0nic Envi0 System 3.

Ok, thanks for all your advices, I will definitely apply for a day's leave to see that they do not cut corners. But then again, how can we know that they do not "anyhow bend the copper pipings" till the copper pipings are NOT cyclindrical anymore? I mean I can see the pipings after they bend it, if the pipings are still cylindrical or not. But then what are the "proper tools" that they should be using?

Also, if on the day itself, if I see that they anyhow bend the pipings and the pipings no longer is cylindrical in shape at the bends, can I point out to them and request them to use a new pipes to re-bend??

I mean I scared, later those air-con guys will give me that "don't teach a father how to corpulate" type of face and attitude...

Sorry if I am asking a lot of things at one go.

Last edited by seahmh; 01-09-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #820

After reading through terumo's posting (quoted by "thesingingbard"), terumo mentioned about bending the copper pipings using benders (the proper tools), think I understand what he means and what a "proper tool" should be.

Thanks everybody for all your valuable advices.

Sorry if I appear stupid here, cos I am not very sure with all these technical stuffs, as I am a Biotech student... So such technical stuffs, not very good at it... Still learning...

Thanks for all your patience.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #821
Supremacy Member

Yes, it is a non-inverter. All the air-con guys who came to view and quote me said that the compressor for Inverters are too big to be shifted out of the window to the air-con ledge outside.

Except maybe the D@ikin inverters. But then D@ikin inverters system are way way over my budget, so I decided on a Panas0nic Envi0 System 3.

Ok, thanks for all your advices, I will definitely apply for a day's leave to see that they do not cut corners. But then again, how can we know that they do not "anyhow bend the copper pipings" till the copper pipings are NOT cyclindrical anymore? I mean I can see the pipings after they bend it, if the pipings are still cylindrical or not. But then what are the "proper tools" that they should be using?

Also, if on the day itself, if I see that they anyhow bend the pipings and the pipings no longer is cylindrical in shape at the bends, can I point out to them and request them to use a new pipes to re-bend??

I mean I scared, later those air-con guys will give me that "don't teach a father how to corpulate" type of face and attitude...

for 9,000btu FCU liquid & gas copper pipe, actually almost all the installer use hand to jus bend the pipes. so shouldnt be a problem. to how they bend the pipes, i tink by jus a look, u can know they got anyhow bend or not. since it is a G22 copper pipe, it wil be very thick. so the bendin shld be nice.

but than, it is NOT recommeded to cut the copper pipe n join another in. as in joining 2 together. this wil causes leak. n majority leak problem is becos of copper pipe joinin together.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #822

9k btu liquid pipe can use hand to bend. For Gas pipe, recommended to use bender.
And for G22 piping, it's thick. Bending if use hand and not skillful enough, the pipe will suddenly bend inwards and instead of a nice curve, it will be a dent. This is also one of the possible cause of condensation as gas flow is reduced @ that portion and it will be very cold @ that area.
My advice, get a good installer (which comes @ a higher price). Leave it to them to do the job. Cos if you watch them install and "teach" or "request" them what to do. This might make them very uncomfortable to work. There are many ways for them to sabo u.

The installers are just workers or contractors of the company. Treat them a bit nice, like buying lunch for them. Tell them that this aircon system might last you for 5-10 years and hope they can do their best to lay the pipings nicely so that it can last you through the years w/o much problems.

No person in the service line wants a demanding/"smart alec" customer. Treat them nice and the serviceman might be willing to go the extra mile for you.

Juz my views...
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #823

Hmmm..............was wondering how come yr aircon guys did not sugguest to u that they could take out the windows.................THat's wat the GC installation guys did to take out the old compressor from my aircon ledge.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #824

9k btu liquid pipe can use hand to bend. For Gas pipe, recommended to use bender.
And for G22 piping, it's thick. Bending if use hand and not skillful enough, the pipe will suddenly bend inwards and instead of a nice curve, it will be a dent. This is also one of the possible cause of condensation as gas flow is reduced @ that portion and it will be very cold @ that area.
My advice, get a good installer (which comes @ a higher price). Leave it to them to do the job. Cos if you watch them install and "teach" or "request" them what to do. This might make them very uncomfortable to work. There are many ways for them to sabo u.

The installers are just workers or contractors of the company. Treat them a bit nice, like buying lunch for them. Tell them that this aircon system might last you for 5-10 years and hope they can do their best to lay the pipings nicely so that it can last you through the years w/o much problems.

No person in the service line wants a demanding/"smart alec" customer. Treat them nice and the serviceman might be willing to go the extra mile for you.

Juz my views...
Hi, chunlianghere, terumo, thesingingbard,

Thanks for all your advices.

I also don't wish to be a demanding/"smart alec" customer "teach a father how to corpulate".

I will be there just to over-see the renovations and not give them too much troubles.

I understand what terumo is saying. Yes, if we nasty with them (be it the air-con installers, the carpenters doing my kitchen cabinets), there are many many ways that they can sabo the renovations.

Yes, I understand too, that we have to treat them nicer so that they might be willing to go the extra mile for us.

I have already make up my mind to buy some drinks or snacks up for them when I go "visiting" the renovations.

I know that if we treat them nice, they will do a nice job for us.

I don't mind spending a little bit of money to buy drinks for them in exchange for a trouble-free renovations.

Thanks very much for all your advices.

Really appreciate it very much.

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #825

Hmmm..............was wondering how come yr aircon guys did not sugguest to u that they could take out the windows.................THat's wat the GC installation guys did to take out the old compressor from my aircon ledge.
Hi, vsml,

Not sure why they never suggest this option.

Maybe they do not want to damage my windows frame and have to replace for me.

BTW, mine is a re-sale 4-room HDB, all the windows have been done up by HDB (those very standard HDB dark-brown colour windows frame).

So maybe the air-con guys don't want to take risk of damaging my windows frames by taking them down, move the big big inverters compressor out to the air-con ledge, then put back the window frames for me.

Thanks for your advices too.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.