HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree892Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #8596
Master Member

this one lor.

Smile ah smile.
buy liao
smile from ear to ear.

haha okie. thanks!
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #8597
Master Member

will be getting a sys 3 (3 rooms)+ sys 1 (living + kitchen open concept)
and also install a ceiling fan to circulate the cold air in the living rm + kitchen since the partition wall between kitchen and living rm will be hacked away
is this ok? (circled in red = aircon position, circled in green = ceiling fan)
since i am getting MHI, is there a 18k or 22k btu model? what should i get?
Your design may look nice (placement of blower).
Few major flaws:
- Blower above door, may not have suffice space, too near ceiling may decease air intake to blower (many new flats with new reno does that), will increase more dirt accumulation in blower fan
- masterbedroom (MB) blower at above door in corridor, concealed and look nice: super duper insufficient to cool your room.
- Your living room blower: Always try not to use fan and AC at the same time. Reason being blower will accumulate dirt and grime faster. Use either one at a time will be best.

Simple guideline to remember when planning where to place your blower
1) Place in center of room (Middle of a wall)
2) Nothing should be below the blower eg. no TV, no cabinets etc
3) Minimum 10cm or more clearance from ceiling to blower. (ID will say BS, guideline say 5cm clearance will do) In fact yes, 5cm is minimal. Anything less than 10cm just increase more accumulation only.
4) Placing all blowers in a linear shortest arrangement towards the AC compressor - At least 22G thicker gas pipping and shortest distance possible. Usual standard provided is 23G, which can do but can be better with 22G - why not?
5) if getting sys4, try to separate 3 set of waste water pipping, do not install all together into 1 set of pipping (LR - 1 pipe, 2BR - 1 pipe, MBR - 1 set) - if pipe choke by grime, it will not affect the entire syst4
6) Pipping to be as big as possible and as short as possible to nearer toilet (Basin also can)
*7) Optional - if you are not planning to change AC sys for a "long long time", you can do the trunking hidden behind build-in wardrobe - look nice and hidden - BUT! if you wanna to re-vamp as new AC system without demolishing your wardrobe? installer of AC will shake his head and pack up and go home.

Just my few cents of experience with AC. Cheers.
WhyNPNT likes this.

Last edited by gentoro; 19-10-2016 at 09:31 AM..
Old 19-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #8598

Hi! Need some help from the pros here.

How much does it usually cost for Daikin SYS 3 aircon?
I got a budget of $3000, but can be lower.

We won't be using aircon often, maybe max will be 3 nights in a week.

Also where should I place the aircon units?

Thanks!

WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #8599
Master Member

Hi guys, if i go for a bigger compressor. Does it consume same amount of energy when running a 9000btu fcu as compared to a smaller compressor?

IIRC, invertor technology will consume same amount of energy right?

Looking at MXY-4A38VA (31400 BTU) / MSY-GE10VA (9000 BTU) × 3, MSY-GE18VA (18000 BTU) × 1

However is there an even bigger compressor? Above does not seem sufficient if on at least 2 rooms + living room at the same time.

yes - it is way more sufficient with 38VA. the 9K btu + 18btu do not always blow at 100%. At high power - it is estimated to consume only 80% of full power = 7.2k btu only. At auto mode, to sustain temp of 25C - the inverter can calibrate usage of 40-60% btu depending on the temp in room. 9K BTU is the max, no blower or user will use max (16C at max fan speed plus high power). Anyone here use this setting?

Dun worry - a 28VA is suffice to support 9k BTU x4 even at warm night. Compressor are also have overclocked in case all 4 blower set at max, compressor will just use more power and work harder. Still cooling in fact.

Last common question: bigger compressor = more efficient? Yes it does at more power regardless unless!. 28VA will use 12A at optimal max compare to 38VA use 15.28A at optimal max. 20% more electric power usage!

What is the unless? Yes - unless your daily usage is only 1 room which in turn both 28VA and 38VA will likely to consume same power to run. Simplify - if you use more room, more power is use on 38VA, more efficient, more cooler.

Configuration is up to your choice.

*small tip - avoid MHI...
WhyNPNT likes this.

Last edited by gentoro; 19-10-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Old 19-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #8600
Arch-Supremacy Member

Your design may look nice (placement of blower).
Few major flaws:
- Blower above door, may not have suffice space, too near ceiling may decease air intake to blower (many new flats with new reno does that), will increase more dirt accumulation in blower fan
- masterbedroom (MB) blower at above door in corridor, concealed and look nice: super duper insufficient to cool your room.
- Your living room blower: Always try not to use fan and AC at the same time. Reason being blower will accumulate dirt and grime faster. Use either one at a time will be best.

Simple guideline to remember when planning where to place your blower
1) Place in center of room (Middle of a wall)
2) Nothing should be below the blower eg. no TV, no cabinets etc
3) Minimum 10cm or more clearance from ceiling to blower. (ID will say BS, guideline say 5cm clearance will do) In fact yes, 5cm is minimal. Anything less than 10cm just increase more accumulation only.
4) Placing all blowers in a linear shortest arrangement towards the AC compressor - At least 22G thicker gas pipping and shortest distance possible. Usual standard provided is 23G, which can do but can be better with 22G - why not?
5) if getting sys4, try to separate 3 set of waste water pipping, do not install all together into 1 set of pipping (LR - 1 pipe, 2BR - 1 pipe, MBR - 1 set) - if pipe choke by grime, it will not affect the entire syst4
6) Pipping to be as big as possible and as short as possible to nearer toilet (Basin also can)
*7) Optional - if you are not planning to change AC sys for a "long long time", you can do the trunking hidden behind build-in wardrobe - look nice and hidden - BUT! if you wanna to re-vamp as new AC system without demolishing your wardrobe? installer of AC will shake his head and pack up and go home.

Just my few cents of experience with AC. Cheers.
thanks for advice

1) Middle of room - will check with potential aircon installer
2) Definitely not putting the blower above a furniture
3) Noted
4) Getting 22G for sure
5) Will check with installer
6) Getting 16mm drainage pipe
7) AC will be used long long time, but I am not hiding the trunking behind wardrobe for sure

btw i need your advise on this also:

one of the frequently mentioned 3rd party aircon installers and a Daikin Proshop installer both quoted me the same Daikin Sys4 (9/9/9/18)

4MKS80FSG/FTKS25DVM x 3/FTKS50FVM x 1

Quote based on upgraded materials(1/2 inch armaflex,g22, keystone cables)

but the Proshop is more expensive by $250
difference between them is the warranty

Proshop provides 1 year for workmanship, 5 years for compressor,1 year for all parts and 90 days for spare parts

3rd party provides 2 years for workmanship (1-2 year cover piping&wiring, 1 year for insulation),5 years for compressor, 1 year for all parts

is it worth paying the premium for Daikin Proshop?
also, what is the BTU for the compressor 4MKS80FSG
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #8601
Master Member

thanks for advice

1) Middle of room - will check with potential aircon installer
2) Definitely not putting the blower above a furniture
3) Noted
4) Getting 22G for sure
5) Will check with installer
6) Getting 16mm drainage pipe
7) AC will be used long long time, but I am not hiding the trunking behind wardrobe for sure

btw i need your advise on this also:
Ask for 20mm drainage pipe. tell them to get at least 25-30mm size as turn pipe. If he duno what it means - u better be weary that he is a half-f**k installer.

Warranty varies from stall to stall. Depend your budget, the extra cost with extra years of warranty is always better.
WhyNPNT likes this.

Last edited by gentoro; 19-10-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Old 19-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #8602
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ask for 20mm drainage pipe. tell them to get at least 25-30mm size as turn pipe. If he duno what it means - u better be weary that he is a half-f**k installer.

Warranty varies from stall to stall. Depend your budget, the extra cost with extra years of warranty is always better.
thing is, the proshop is more expensive yet the other installer can provide 1 year extra workmanship warranty with cheaper cost overall
any significant benefits if i take the proshop
will their installer be able to do as what u recommend?
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #8603

Thanks!
I believe their lowest config system 3 also above 3k.
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #8604

thing is, the proshop is more expensive yet the other installer can provide 1 year extra workmanship warranty with cheaper cost overall
Proshop have their own standard package, any addition/upgrade will be charged accordingly.
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #8605
Arch-Supremacy Member

Proshop have their own standard package, any addition/upgrade will be charged accordingly.
costs for upgraded already taken into consideration before finding out the difference $250 in cost
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #8606
Master Member

Installer will KPKB if you last minute wanna change pipe size and so do tell them in advance. They should also call you 1 day in advance on the size of pipe you required. They call me jus to double confirmed 1 day in advanced.

Be there to welcome them with drinks and snacks - spend a $10+ to make them happy will in turn do a good job installing for you.

My reno's contractors (5 teams) thought that I was a ID or an AC engineer... lolz...

Actually I just a lab tech working in hospital.

Proshop or GC or Coolserve or All Best, their warranty service got standard at least they dun tarnish their reputation.

As long your installation is good, you should not have hiccup in your sys for at least 2yrs. After that, you will need more cleaning.

I diy my cleaning and even take out the blower coil for ME sys.
WhyNPNT likes this.

Last edited by gentoro; 19-10-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Old 19-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #8607
Master Member

Thanks!

U should ask yourself where you want to place your wardrobe, cabinet and bed?
Place your AC where below having "Nothing" & centralise facing ur bed paralled or perpendicular & linear pipping with your other blowers. Try to have a separate drainage from your MBR. 1 set drainage for 2 common room and 1 set drainage to MBR.
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #8608

To ragegoh,

Above the door frame for bedroom 2 & 3.
Below $3k can get a Daikin system 3.
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #8609

Just ordered a system 3 starmex from courts. Should i get the extended warranty for the fcu?
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 20-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #8610

Noobie question i installed sys 3 aircon fr GC. They got free upgrade of one fan coil 9k to 12k btu. When installed i check all the fan coil is same model. How to check which fan coil is 12k btu?
WhyNPNT likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.