HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree892Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #8776
Master Member

Hi, Need to know the size (include the ceiling height) and layout of the room and living room. And also in total, how many FCU connected to one outdoor?
Going to install on a new 4rm BTO, so looking at living room size of 12m square, including half hacked kitchen about 16?
Looking at system 4 , but likely only going to use the MBR. And the living room FCU most of the time.
Thank you dachee for any of your recommendations...
Old 29-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #8777

Daikin CTKS 25 QVM / MKS80QVM
• Operation Sound 19 - 43 db
• Airflow rate 10.8 m3/mm

Mitsubishi Starmex MSY-GE10VA/ MXY3A28v8
• Operation sound 19 - xx db
• Airflow rate 11.4 m3/mm

so both are quite comparable since the figures are 0.6 differences.

Yes, very close. MSY-GE10VA sound is 19-40 dB.
Old 29-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #8778

Going to install on a new 4rm BTO, so looking at living room size of 12m square, including half hacked kitchen about 16?
Looking at system 4 , but likely only going to use the MBR. And the living room FCU most of the time.
Thank you dachee for any of your recommendations...
Hi Would be good if you can provide the ceiling height.
Old 29-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #8779
Master Member

Hi Would be good if you can provide the ceiling height.
Ceiling height is 2.9M
Old 29-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #8780
Master Member

Guys, I am a noob to aircon.

I have set the fan speed to AUTO and mode to COOL.

Is it normal when I first turn on the air con, the fan takes sometime to startup?

Its not like instant the fan starts running. However once I switch it to HIGH/MEDIUM, it adjusts automatically
Old 29-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #8781

Ceiling height is 2.9M
Hi, taking that the total volume is 4X4X2.9 = 46.4m3 and that the exterior temperature is 32 degree and you would like to achieve a 20 degree interior temperature, ie a decrease of 12 degree, you would need a system to provide a FCU capacity of 5.8k btu or 1.7kW at normal insulation for this room. This is only theoretical. Higher capacity may be required if there are other heat source/s within the bedrooms or living room and other openings that allow hot air to get into the room/s.

You may notice that unlike a single split and some system 2 that provide the same indoor and outdoor capacity, system 3 and 4 do not provide the total capacity of all indoor FCUs when all FCUs are used with temperature setting that requires more than the nominal rating.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are useful.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #8782

Guys, I am a noob to aircon.

I have set the fan speed to AUTO and mode to COOL.

Is it normal when I first turn on the air con, the fan takes sometime to startup?

Its not like instant the fan starts running. However once I switch it to HIGH/MEDIUM, it adjusts automatically
Hi, it would be good if you can clarify the fan you are referring to. Is it the indoor (FCU) fan or the outdoor (condenser) fan?

What do you mean that "it adjusts automatically"?
Old 29-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #8783
Master Member

Hi, it would be good if you can clarify the fan you are referring to. Is it the indoor (FCU) fan or the outdoor (condenser) fan?

What do you mean that "it adjusts automatically"?
I can referring to the FCU.

Means, when I turn 'on' the aircon, and if fan mode is set to 'auto', the fcu takes about 1-2 mins to detect and turn up the fan speed. is this normal?

However, I can directly bring the fan speed up to high to avoid the 1-2mins wait.
Old 29-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #8784

I can referring to the FCU.

Means, when I turn 'on' the aircon, and if fan mode is set to 'auto', the fcu takes about 1-2 mins to detect and turn up the fan speed. is this normal?

However, I can directly bring the fan speed up to high to avoid the 1-2mins wait.
Hi, Personally, I don't think this is normal, especially from a user's point of view. However, it may be some software development issue and it will be good to call the technical support for your air conditioner brand to check with them.

It may also be good if you can provide the brand and model so that other readers who are using it can provide their comments.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #8785

Saw a Facebook post on Panasonic sky series. Seems that this will be released in Singapore soon.

Here's the link from Panasonic Malaysia website -> http://airconditioner.my.panasonic.com/sky-series

Old 30-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #8786

Saw a Facebook post on Panasonic sky series. Seems that this will be released in Singapore soon.

Here's the link from Panasonic Malaysia website -> http://airconditioner.my.panasonic.com/sky-series
Thanks. Good infor. Noticed that in the ad. it was mentioned that the air is blown up towards the ceiling to cool the room. This brings me to the topic of wall mounted FCU placement height.

If you have a high ceiling room, is placing the wall mounted FCU near the ceiling the right place, or is there a specific height that the FCU should be placed?

How about the placement of the wall mounted FCU relative to the condenser? Is there some relationship between them?

What do you think? Please provide your comments/understanding or even those advises given by your contractors / installers, or your decision as to why you have installed your wall mounted FCU at its current location.

Last edited by dachee; 30-11-2016 at 07:36 PM..
Old 30-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #8787

Thanks. Good infor. Noticed that in the ad. it was mentioned that the air is blown up towards the ceiling to cool the room. This brings me to the topic of wall mounted FCU placement height.

If you have a high ceiling room, is placing the wall mounted FCU near the ceiling the right place, or is there a specific height that the FCU should be placed?

How about the placement of the wall mounted FCU relative to the condenser? Is there some relationship between them?

What do you think? Please provide your comments/understanding or even those advises given by your contractors / installers, or your decision as to why you have installed your wall mounted FCU at its current location.
I have decided on Panasonic CU-XS9RKZ but it's current out of stock for my installer. Don't think I will change my decision as I doubt the sky series will be introduced to Singapore by year end.

The cooling method of sky series seems to make sense. It is unclear on the energy consumption for having 2 cooling outlets (downward and upward) as compared to the conventional downward outlet.

Another doubt I have is condensation resulting from temperature differential of my false ceiling and the upward cooling outlet. Above my false ceiling is the house roof and in hot weather, the differential may cause dampness.

Old 30-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #8788

I have decided on Panasonic CU-XS9RKZ but it's current out of stock for my installer. Don't think I will change my decision as I doubt the sky series will be introduced to Singapore by year end.

The cooling method of sky series seems to make sense. It is unclear on the energy consumption for having 2 cooling outlets (downward and upward) as compared to the conventional downward outlet.

Another doubt I have is condensation resulting from temperature differential of my false ceiling and the upward cooling outlet. Above my false ceiling is the house roof and in hot weather, the differential may cause dampness.
It will be good if other readers can provide their comments too.
Old 30-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #8789

To yamashita,

The dual cooling outlets will have little effect on the energy consumption. (IMO)

By the way, i think Sky Series is already launched in SG.

Last edited by terumo; 30-11-2016 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 30-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #8790
Master Member

Hi, taking that the total volume is 4X4X2.9 = 46.4m3 and that the exterior temperature is 32 degree and you would like to achieve a 20 degree interior temperature, ie a decrease of 12 degree, you would need a system to provide a FCU capacity of 5.8k btu or 1.7kW at normal insulation for this room. This is only theoretical. Higher capacity may be required if there are other heat source/s within the bedrooms or living room and other openings that allow hot air to get into the room/s.

You may notice that unlike a single split and some system 2 that provide the same indoor and outdoor capacity, system 3 and 4 do not provide the total capacity of all indoor FCUs when all FCUs are used with temperature setting that requires more than the nominal rating.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are useful.
Thanks for the detailed explanation... So if I take it from a newbie point of view I don't really need a 18k fcu for my living room If most of the time I only on 2 fcu right? 12k should be ok and additional 3 9k each...?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.