HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #8806

anyone on europace aircon ?

they claim using Mitsubishi engine/motor not sure of it... is it reliable ?
Hi, does it have similar performance and features? Air conditioner is one product that you need to look at long term consideration as it will be frequently used and a poor selection may be costly in future.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #8807

Hello.

I am thinking of getting aircon for my 5rm flat and would need some help here.
Currently only 2 of us and aircon will only be used in MBR during hot weather or haze. Usually we sleep with just fan and windows open.

Wonder if I need inverter model or non inverter model will be good enough?

Secondly, i was wondering if it is possible to just install a system 1 to my MBR and in the future when family size increases we just add another set of aircon for the 2 common bedrooms?

I understand the Daikin Smile series allow expansion by just adding FCU but wondering if there will be complication when it comes to expansion?

Or maybe install a system 1 and in the future add another outdoor unit for 2 common rooms?

Appreciate your advices. Thanks!
Hi,

1. It will be good to have an inverter system as it provides better control of the environment in the room as well as being more efficient. It is also much quieter.

Inverter system are now common. So it is not that costly to have it to enjoy its benefit.

2. Air conditioner technology and features improves and changes frequently with new research done. In addition, model pairing between condenser and FCU may limit future availability, though it is possible to use one FCU in a system 4 and connect 3 FCU later. But why pay a high price for a high capacity unit when you only need 1/4 of it?

It depends on the available outdoor space as well as when you need the other FCUs and the installation cost.

Two single splits may be good if the chance of having 4 is not going to happen. In such a case, you may wish to install one first but if the second unit would likely be needed in the near future, then you need to weigh the installation cost vs the lost of warranty as the second unit is unlikely to be used frequently at the beginning. Meaning you may only use it once a month or even not at all and by the time you start to use it, the one year warranty is over and you need to pay for any problem encountered.

In the event that you would like to have 4 FCUs or not sure yet, then having two system 2 would be appropriate if there is insufficient outdoor space to take 4 single split or any combination that ended with 3 condensers (meaning that you have only sufficient outdoor space for 2 condensers). So you can have one system 2 with one FCU or with 2 FCUs first. And add another system 2 in future. Again, you need to weigh the lost of warranty for units that you do not use. And not forgetting that there are new technology as well as styling each pasting year.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are useful.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #8808

Hi bros,

Am looking for a system 2 for 2 bedrooms. Ceiling is approx 2.4m.

Any brands that is within 2k budget and any resellers to recommend?

First timer here. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #8809

Hi dachee bro, yes you are right have not really mentioned any models outright , currently looking at the proven starmex old models system 4 (but can't decide the BTU needed). Another option is Panasonic which is not really recommended here. Any advise that can sway me away to a particular model and BTU? ( always will be living room and MBR on most of the days)
Hi,

Do you really need a system 4 or two system 2? Though both indicate that they can have similar FCUs'capacity, they are not when all the FCUs are running at the same time. As mentioned in past posting, system 2 can provide full capacity for each of its FCUs (so two system 2 can provide full capacity for 4 FCUs) but system 4 cannot provide full capacity of its 4 FCUs when running together unless you up-size it to the 38VA with capacity of 7.5 kW instead of the 28VA with 6 kW.

However, your 4 FCUs locations are inclusive of the living room which you will be using most of the day, but not when you go to bed. Depending on the number of bdrms that you will be running the air conditioner at any one time and the temperature that you would be setting, the 28VA may be suitable.

Mitsubishi Electric has a technical support team that you can consult at their Alexandra Road office. Bring your house floor layout to ask them on the BTU required for your living room. In my previous post, I mentioned that 9k BTU is sufficient.

Above are my opinion and hope that they are useful.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #8810

Hi bros,

Am looking for a system 2 for 2 bedrooms. Ceiling is approx 2.4m.

Any brands that is within 2k budget and any resellers to recommend?

First timer here. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hi,

There are some system 2 that are under $2k including installation for HDB. However, these units are normally 2 ticks with higher energy consumption. There are some newer versions that are slightly more expensive by $200 to $500 more but they are newer versions as well as with lesser energy consumption of 4 and 5 ticks. In long term, the cost in energy saving will off-set the cost of the more expensive models.

There are sellers of reconditioned units but most are old models with higher energy consumption. In addition, their warranty may not be the same as new units and maintenance cost may be higher. The cost of installing a new units is no different from that of reconditioned units which is a large percentage of the total cost of buying an air conditioner.

So 2 ticks units or reconditioned units may in long term cost more than new units with 4 or 5 ticks. In the current market, the 4 and 5 ticks are very close, almost not different in energy saving.

The above are my opinion and hope they are helpful.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #8811

Hi,

1. It will be good to have an inverter system as it provides better control of the environment in the room as well as being more efficient. It is also much quieter.

Inverter system are now common. So it is not that costly to have it to enjoy its benefit.

2. Air conditioner technology and features improves and changes frequently with new research done. In addition, model pairing between condenser and FCU may limit future availability, though it is possible to use one FCU in a system 4 and connect 3 FCU later. But why pay a high price for a high capacity unit when you only need 1/4 of it?

It depends on the available outdoor space as well as when you need the other FCUs and the installation cost.

Two single splits may be good if the chance of having 4 is not going to happen. In such a case, you may wish to install one first but if the second unit would likely be needed in the near future, then you need to weigh the installation cost vs the lost of warranty as the second unit is unlikely to be used frequently at the beginning. Meaning you may only use it once a month or even not at all and by the time you start to use it, the one year warranty is over and you need to pay for any problem encountered.

In the event that you would like to have 4 FCUs or not sure yet, then having two system 2 would be appropriate if there is insufficient outdoor space to take 4 single split or any combination that ended with 3 condensers (meaning that you have only sufficient outdoor space for 2 condensers). So you can have one system 2 with one FCU or with 2 FCUs first. And add another system 2 in future. Again, you need to weigh the lost of warranty for units that you do not use. And not forgetting that there are new technology as well as styling each pasting year.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are useful.
Thank you dachee!
I will think about the options. If I go the route of having a system 1, in the future when I add another condenser, will it require hacking to get the piping thru again? Or is it possible to lay all the pipes first but seal the ends for future use?
Sorry for asking noob questions..
Old 02-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #8812

To carlos83,

Currently most of the models available are invertor model.

Daikin Smile Series is a system 4 outdoor, you can just install as a system 1 and add additional blower units in the future (provided the model is still available, usually a model production lifespan is 5-7 years)
Thank you terumo!
I asked another questions below regarding piping. If you have any advice, please share.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #8813

Hi,

There are some system 2 that are under $2k including installation for HDB. However, these units are normally 2 ticks with higher energy consumption. There are some newer versions that are slightly more expensive by $200 to $500 more but they are newer versions as well as with lesser energy consumption of 4 and 5 ticks. In long term, the cost in energy saving will off-set the cost of the more expensive models.

There are sellers of reconditioned units but most are old models with higher energy consumption. In addition, their warranty may not be the same as new units and maintenance cost may be higher. The cost of installing a new units is no different from that of reconditioned units which is a large percentage of the total cost of buying an air conditioner.

So 2 ticks units or reconditioned units may in long term cost more than new units with 4 or 5 ticks. In the current market, the 4 and 5 ticks are very close, almost not different in energy saving.

The above are my opinion and hope they are helpful.
Thank you, indeed helpful.

May I know those models you have mentioned that are $200-500 more, but having better energy ratings?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #8814

May I know those models you have mentioned that are $200-500 more, but having better energy ratings?
Hi, Below are some models with 4 and 5 ticks. The prices are inclusive of installation and GST in HDB and standard materials. You may wish to do some search in the internet as these prices are not the best and model/brands are not limited to the following. You can also check the respective brands website for authorized dealers to call for quote as not all dealers have websites.

1. DAIKIN 3MKS50FSG SYSTEM 2 4 ticks $2,190
2. MIDEA SMKY-21-O-04 SYSTEM 2 4 ticks $2,236
3. MITSUBISHI STARMEX MXY-2G20VA 5 ticks $2,490
4. PANASONIC CU-2XS18RKZ SYSTEM 2 4 ticks $2,390
5. MITSUBISHI HEAVY SCM45ZJ-S SYSTEM 2 4 ticks $2,075
6. DAIKIN MKS65QVMG SYSTEM 2 5 ticks $2,630
7. York YCHMYC021 SYSTEM 2 4 ticks $2,090

Price and the number of ticks are not the only factors to consider in the selection of the air conditioner. You would need to compare the specification, features, configuration, support, warranty as well as the right installer.

From the internet, it seems that sellers are indicating that the top three brands (not in order of position) are Panasonic, Mitsubishi Electric (not Mitsubishi Heavy Industry) and Daikin.

Hope that the above are helpful.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #8815

Hi,

Some time using 2 single units with 4 ticks system instead of a system 2 can have a lower cost if your outdoor unit space is large enough to have two condensers.

For example: Each Mitsubishi MUYGE10VA with 4 tick is $990
Two units = $990X2 = $1980

Hope the above is helpful.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #8816

Hi,

Some time using 2 single units with 4 ticks system instead of a system 2 can have a lower cost if your outdoor unit space is large enough to have two condensers.

For example: Each Mitsubishi MUYGE10VA with 4 tick is $990
Two units = $990X2 = $1980

Hope the above is helpful.

Understood, don't think i have enough space for 2 condensers though. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #8817

To carlos83,

Best to do all at the same time for lower cost and less hassle.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #8818
Master Member

Hi guys,
Is today gain city sale quite a good buy?
Looking at starmex system 4. Most people recommend the old 2 ticks one right?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #8819

Hi guys,
Is today gain city sale quite a good buy?
Looking at starmex system 4. Most people recommend the old 2 ticks one right?
"Most people recommend" based on what may I know?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #8820
Master Member

"Most people recommend" based on what may I know?
Hi bro dachee,

Based on 3 friends and relatives, keep tell me starmex cannot go wrong one. That's why I am here reading see if can get a recommended model for system 4 or to get a 3 +1
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.