HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree892Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #8896
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm using York aircon

At the same time , use Sharp purifier

Old 09-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #8897

I'm using York aircon

At the same time , use Sharp purifier
Oh. ok. I see. Good if you can provide your Sharp purifier and humidifier model number. I need to check the spec. Have you try not using the Sharp purifier and humidifier?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #8898

So 24k + 9k + 9k system 3 ? How many compressors would I need ?
Hi,

Without looking at your floor plan and ceiling height as well as your activity and equipment in the room, it is difficult to calculate the Btu needed.

Hour of usage does not affect the Btu/h needed.

Last edited by dachee; 10-12-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Old 10-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #8899

So 24k + 9k + 9k system 3 ? How many compressors would I need ?
Hi, after calculating the Btu/h needed for each room, we then decide on the number of FCUs required as well as the number of condensers which is dependent on the possibility of addition power points, outdoor space and cost. Look at the energy label which indicates the annual energy cost that you will be paying when used in a "typical way", according to NEA's assumption. The 2 ticks and 4 or 5 ticks could mean that you ended up paying more than $600/year. So choose wisely.

Sometime, instead of one 18k Btu/h FCU, it may be more efficient and effective to have two FCUs at the appropriate location.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited by dachee; 10-12-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #8900

I'm pretty much set on mitsubishi's 5 tick system 3, with the MXY-3G28VA.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about Daikin's MKS-65QVMG though.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #8901
Honorary Member

I'm using Daikin smiles.
Compressor mks80
Room cts25 & 50.

Resale 3rm HDB
Old 11-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #8902

You can link all up to a system 3 will do, since you do not use all three units at the same time.

max usage both bedrooms 8hr/day + living room will use rarely only.
Any recommendation will be appreciated.
Or if you can point me in the right direction to read up
Tried googling but sometimes specs do not list BTU etc.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #8903

Hi

Can anyone share what is the difference between Mitsubishi starmax and Mitsubishi heavy industry? I am looking at sys 3. The price of mit heavy industry is with my budget 2.7k only.

I saw dalkin got also $2k plus for sys 3.

As I have no Aircon experience. Stay in HDB 4room. First time buying Aircon. Intend to use only 9pm till 9am daily.

Any Aircon store can recommend? As I heard many review here advise to avoid GC.

Thank you.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #8904

To ryangoh,

You are using all 3 rooms at the same time daily for 12 hours?
Old 11-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #8905

Help

Hey Guys,

My Sanyo aircon system 3 of 10 years started to trip the electricity supply today.... only on the aircon then will trip other appliances no problem.

What's wrong? is it worth repairing?

If not, any recommendations for another system 2 or 3.
this is for a HDB 3 room. one of the rooms have a system 1 already. so this is for the living room(currently 2 units) and the other room(1 unit).

Also who to buy from, this is an office, so need the aircon asap.

Much appreciated!
Old 11-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #8906

Hey Guys,

My Sanyo aircon system 3 of 10 years started to trip the electricity supply today.... only on the aircon then will trip other appliances no problem.

What's wrong? is it worth repairing?

If not, any recommendations for another system 2 or 3.
this is for a HDB 3 room. one of the rooms have a system 1 already. so this is for the living room(currently 2 units) and the other room(1 unit).

Also who to buy from, this is an office, so need the aircon asap.

Much appreciated!
Hi,

Pls explain : "only on the aircon then will trip other appliances no problem" -do not understand what you are saying.

By the way, was the fan in the indoor unit (FCU) operating when you first switched on the air conditioner and was the air conditioner blowing cold air while it tripped?

Does it happened all the time you use the air conditioner in that room or it is only intermittent?

Just asking a few questions to zero in on the possible fault.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #8907

the air con blows cold air for awhile, then trips.

"only on the aircon then will trip, other appliances no problem" missed a comma.
sorry abt that.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #8908

the air con blows cold air for awhile, then trips.

"only on the aircon then will trip, other appliances no problem" missed a comma.
sorry abt that.
Hi,

If I am not wrong, it is likely that your compressor in your condenser (outdoor unit) is shorted to earth. This can happened due to wear and tear as well as overheating.

You can do the following to counter check this fault.
1. Set your air conditioner temperature just 1 degree below the room temperature before using the air conditioner. This will allow the compressor to run for a short period, hopefully not long enough to be heated up to cause shorting to the body (to earth) of the compressor.
2. If the air conditioner can operate for a prolong period, longer than the time it takes to trip in the past, then increase the temperature by another 1 degree.
3. Continue to repeat 1 and 2, start to take the prolong period when a new set of temperature is made (ie the increase of 1 degree).
4. Continue to do this until you reach your normal set temperature. By then, the air conditioner should have tripped already.

However, as the compressor and fan in the condenser is switched on at the same time, the above shorting to earth could also come from your fan. But, as the fan is operating at a much lower load and also being cool down by the air flowing a cross it, the fan is unlikely to be heated up as much as the compressor.

Normally, a compressor has an overload relay that will turn off the compressor if it is overheating. But sometime this device is faulty. Overheated compressor can be as hot as a frying pan!

Taking that your system is 10 years old, it may not be as efficient as current model. Repairing it may cost you a few hundreds of dollars with a short warranty period and yet having high operating cost. A 4 or 5 ticks system may likely save you a few hundreds of dollar each year with a one year warranty, sufficient time to confirm that all is in order. The compressor has a 5 years warranty.

Do your costing.

The above are my opinion, hope that it is helpful.

Last edited by dachee; 11-12-2016 at 04:23 PM..
Old 11-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #8909

Hi

Can anyone share what is the difference between Mitsubishi starmax and Mitsubishi heavy industry? I am looking at sys 3. The price of mit heavy industry is with my budget 2.7k only.

I saw dalkin got also $2k plus for sys 3.

As I have no Aircon experience. Stay in HDB 4room. First time buying Aircon. Intend to use only 9pm till 9am daily.

Any Aircon store can recommend? As I heard many review here advise to avoid GC.

Thank you.
Hi,

There are a few things that is good to know.

1. Within the same brand, there are more than one model with system 3 as a result of different condenser capacity as well as the combination of the number of FCUs and their capacities.

2. Within the system 3 of different brands, they have different specifications on the condenser as well as the FCUs as individual factors such as COP, capacity, the fan speed achievable, the noise level.

3. And as a whole system there are the number of energy label ticks, the annual cost and annual kWh.

4. And lastly, the way you wish to use the system and the layout and size of the room as well as your activities and other heat sources.

You may wish to know that the annual cost calculated by NEA is based on an 8hrs operation with 16 hrs of standby at 27 cents /kWh BUT only at about 30% of the full capacity of the system. This limit the room temperature to about 6.5 degree cooler from the outside temperature.
If you see a model with annual energy cost of $620, you would need to triple it, ie $620X3.33 = $2,064/year if you run your system at full capacity.

You may noticed then that the saving from energy is sufficient to off set the cost of the whole system within a year and the half or 2 years.

It is therefore good to look beyond the initial cost.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited by dachee; 11-12-2016 at 10:52 PM..
Old 12-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #8910

I'm pretty much set on mitsubishi's 5 tick system 3, with the MXY-3G28VA.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about Daikin's MKS-65QVMG though.
Hi,

Have not use Daikin before except that I had encountered numerous cases of its FCU plastic deteriorating with cracks and turned powdery. Maybe now this may have changed for the better. But the risk is there.

Good to here from others.

Last edited by dachee; 12-12-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.