HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #9136

Question

I was so confirmed that I'll be getting the Mitsubishi Starmex system 3 (5 ticks), until one salesman messed with my mind again.

He said the outdoor unit should not be mounted using brackets, as that causes loud vibration noise when operating. And the neighbours will complain. Mounting the unit on a ledge is ok, as the floor is concrete.

The place where I am going to mount is below 1 of my bedroom window, which is also above my bottom neighbour's bedroom window. Due to the design of the block, the noise will definitely be an issue.

He suggested I get the Starmex 2 ticks model instead, or the new LG 5 ticks.

Now I'm back to square one..

Is he right? Or he just wanna sell more LGs?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #9137

I was so confirmed that I'll be getting the Mitsubishi Starmex system 3 (5 ticks), until one salesman messed with my mind again.

He said the outdoor unit should not be mounted using brackets, as that causes loud vibration noise when operating. And the neighbours will complain. Mounting the unit on a ledge is ok, as the floor is concrete.

The place where I am going to mount is below 1 of my bedroom window, which is also above my bottom neighbour's bedroom window. Due to the design of the block, the noise will definitely be an issue.

He suggested I get the Starmex 2 ticks model instead, or the new LG 5 ticks.

Now I'm back to square one..

Is he right? Or he just wanna sell more LGs?
Hi,

There are two factors to be considered regarding noise level from the outdoor unit.

1. Noise level produced from the unit.

2. Noise level produced from the installation mounting method.

For point 1, the 5 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB and is rated up to 59 dB (need to find out what they mean by rated from the technical support team. This model is the only one with the rated reading).

The 2 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB too. And the LG system 3 with 4 connections is 48dB.

As the other models does not show the rated sound level, the 49dB reading will be considered for the 5 ticks.

In comparison, the sound levels for all the 3 models are almost the same.

Another source where sound can be generated is the mounting method of both the outdoor unit bracket to the wall as well as the outdoor unit to the bracket.

An improper mounting not according to manufacturer's requirement and unauthorized personnel installing the mounting bracket can lead to vibration, generating noise.

From the above, the salesperson's recommendation for selecting other brands and models does not make sense.

You may wish to view this video to feel how loud is 49 dB. https://youtu.be/4QAKPvG0P1M

You can also download a free dB meter from Play Store and use this meter to check the sound level of the installed unit with your hand phone.

You may also check with other sales agent / installer to see if they say the same thing. Are there any similar model that are installed around your block? If so, are their neighbours complaining about the sound level?

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited by dachee; 01-01-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old 01-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #9138

I was not allow to post image.

My plan

Living Room aircon above the entrance door beam - pipe trunking from TOP to kitchen down straight to yard then to ledge

MBR aircon above toilet door - pipe trunking all inside MBR false ceiling out to ledge

Bedroom 2 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to common toilet false ceiling then to MBR false ceiling to yard then to ledge

Bedroom 3 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to kitchen TOP then down to bottom straight to yard then to ledge

Thank you
Hi,

You can sign up for free at: https://imageshack.com/signup to paste your photo and post the link in this forum.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #9139

Hi Dachee,

I am looking to get a System 4 for my new BTO home.

Was recommended MHI where it will have a 27k BTU compressor, with 3x 12k BTU unit and 1x 18k BTU unit for living room.

i have the following question:

1) Any reputable shop which does a good installation work to recommend?

2) is 18k BTU sufficient for living room?

3) Should get ME or MHI?

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #9140

Hi,

With reference to your first photo.

1. Master bedroom - no choice, existing placement ok.

2. Bedroom 2 - shift to the left, centre the FCU on the same wall as in photo.

3. Bedroom 3 - shift to the right, centre the FCU on the same wall as in photo.

4. Living room near to bedrooms - shift to the left on the same wall as in photo, as close to the pillar edge but centre it between pillar width and corridor .

5 Living room near window - centre your FCU on the same wall as in photo.

6. Mount the FCUs about 8 ft from the floor.

Something like this?

https://imageshack.com/i/pnBxHMdrj
Old 01-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #9141

Hi Dachee,

I am looking to get a System 4 for my new BTO home.

Was recommended MHI where it will have a 27k BTU compressor, with 3x 12k BTU unit and 1x 18k BTU unit for living room.

i have the following question:

1) Any reputable shop which does a good installation work to recommend?

2) is 18k BTU sufficient for living room?

3) Should get ME or MHI?

Thanks a lot!
Hi,

1. Cannot recommend shop because, most shop do not have their own installers. They are linked with installers who are mainly from Malaysia and work as freelance company. So you really need to monitor all work done by them to check that they do it correctly.

2. Need to know your room layout.

3. If I am not wrong, ME has their own office here in Sg as Mitsubishi Electric Asia while MHI air conditioner is marketed by a distribution company (KM Capital Group) who does not manufacture the product.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful
Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #9142

Hi,

There are two factors to be considered regarding noise level from the outdoor unit.

1. Noise level produced from the unit.

2. Noise level produced from the installation mounting method.

For point 1, the 5 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB and is rated up to 59 dB (need to find out what they mean by rated from the technical support team. This model is the only one with the rated reading).

The 2 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB too. And the LG system 3 with 4 connections is 48dB.

As the other models does not show the rated sound level, the 49dB reading will be considered for the 5 ticks.

In comparison, the sound levels for all the 3 models are almost the same.

Another source where sound can be generated is the mounting method of both the outdoor unit bracket to the wall as well as the outdoor unit to the bracket.

An improper mounting not according to manufacturer's requirement and unauthorized personnel installing the mounting bracket can lead to vibration, generating noise.

From the above, the salesperson's recommendation for selecting other brands and models does not make sense.

You may wish to view this video to feel how loud is 49 dB. https://youtu.be/4QAKPvG0P1M

You can also download a free dB meter from Play Store and use this meter to check the sound level of the installed unit with your hand phone.

You may also check with other sales agent / installer to see if they say the same thing. Are there any similar model that are installed around your block? If so, are their neighbours complaining about the sound level?

Thanks!

I'm not concert about the noise level from the unit itself.
The salesman was talking about the vibration noise from the unit caused by mounting on the brackets. He says that there will be no problem on concrete ledge.

Mine's a resale flat, and all my neighbours have old air con units. He says only the new starmex 5 ticks has this problem, the 2 ticks does not have the vibration problem.

Is he trying to smoke me?
Now I'm back to LG as my 1st choice.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #9143

Hi,

You can sign up for free at: https://imageshack.com/signup to paste your photo and post the link in this forum.
https://imageshack.com/my/images

My AIRCON TRUNKING plan

Living Room aircon SYSTEM 1 above the entrance door beam - pipe trunking from TOP to kitchen down straight to yard then to ledge

SYSTEM 3 for all bedrooms

MBR aircon above toilet door - pipe trunking all inside MBR false ceiling out to ledge

Bedroom 2 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to common toilet false ceiling then to MBR false ceiling to yard then to ledge

Bedroom 3 above door - pipe trunking TOP to the walkway beam to kitchen TOP then down to bottom straight to yard then to ledge

Thank you

Last edited by Mannequin Yeo; 01-01-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #9144

Something like this?

https://imageshack.com/i/pnBxHMdrj
Hi,

Have a look at:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9718/m39Yyq.png
Old 01-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #9145

Hi,

1. Cannot recommend shop because, most shop do not have their own installers. They are linked with installers who are mainly from Malaysia and work as freelance company. So you really need to monitor all work done by them to check that they do it correctly.

2. Need to know your room layout.

3. If I am not wrong, ME has their own office here in Sg as Mitsubishi Electric Asia while MHI air conditioner is marketed by a distribution company (KM Capital Group) who does not manufacture the product.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful
Hi Dachee, thanks for your prompt response, attached is my floorplan

As you can see my living / dinning area is L shape, possible to propose ideal location for aircon?

Old 01-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #9146

Thanks!

I'm not concert about the noise level from the unit itself.
The salesman was talking about the vibration noise from the unit caused by mounting on the brackets. He says that there will be no problem on concrete ledge.

Mine's a resale flat, and all my neighbours have old air con units. He says only the new starmex 5 ticks has this problem, the 2 ticks does not have the vibration problem.

Is he trying to smoke me?
Now I'm back to LG as my 1st choice.
Hi,

You may wish to talk to other company selling the same model. Is this company authorized dealer of ME? You can check at: http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg...r-conditioning

His reasoning is not logical, make no sense.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #9147

Happy new year to all, currently living in a old 4 room hdb flat and looking for a new 3 system air condition as the current one at home is a little too old.

Would like to check with everyone which model is the best value for money in the market right now? Not a daily user, usually only turn on the air conditioner when the weather is too unbearable.

Thanks for the inputs in advance
Old 01-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #9148

Hi,

Have a look at:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9718/m39Yyq.png
Thanks.. One more thing, is it true that a 5 tick model may not actually save that much electricity? Was told that the cooling capacity for 5 tick model is lesser and it take a longer time to cool the room. Was recommended to get 2 ticks. In addition, at night I be just turning on one room, so there is not much saving in tern of 2 and 5 tick
Old 01-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #9149

Can consider the Daikin 4 ticks system 3 model 3mks50fsg.

Happy new year to all, currently living in a old 4 room hdb flat and looking for a new 3 system air condition as the current one at home is a little too old.

Would like to check with everyone which model is the best value for money in the market right now? Not a daily user, usually only turn on the air conditioner when the weather is too unbearable.

Thanks for the inputs in advance
Old 01-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #9150

For Mitsubishi, the 5 ticks & 2 ticks btu capacity is the same.
For Daikin, 5 ticks btu capacity is higher then their 3/4 ticks.

Thanks.. One more thing, is it true that a 5 tick model may not actually save that much electricity? Was told that the cooling capacity for 5 tick model is lesser and it take a longer time to cool the room. Was recommended to get 2 ticks. In addition, at night I be just turning on one room, so there is not much saving in tern of 2 and 5 tick
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.