HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree891Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #9301
Arch-Supremacy Member

wow, newway sounds good from what you guys say. Shall email them for a quote too
Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #9302
Arch-Supremacy Member

just had some technician to pump gas twice within six months but the air not cold anymore. sure got some leakage somewhere and the technician quoted me $450 to do pressure test. and that's not including repairing it.

should I just change the pipe? or the whole Aircon system? using Toshiba for the past decade.
was quoted $300 for pipe changing per Aircon.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #9303

How old is your aircon system?

just had some technician to pump gas twice within six months but the air not cold anymore. sure got some leakage somewhere and the technician quoted me $450 to do pressure test. and that's not including repairing it.

should I just change the pipe? or the whole Aircon system? using Toshiba for the past decade.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:01 AM   #9304
Arch-Supremacy Member

10 years. got such thing as trade in Aircon?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #9305
Arch-Supremacy Member

10 years. got such thing as trade in Aircon?
Now a day shop hardly offer that. They took your old one and say free deposal for you.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #9306
Arch-Supremacy Member

How old is your aircon system?
Running new pipe is $150 I think. Not sure the current price.
Now a day price for this kind of work raised very fast due to shortage of workers.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #9307

Hi guys,

mitsubishi starmex problem here.

aircon first stopped giving cold air, called for repair and costed 80 for gas refill, less than 12 hours later same issue again.

the person came down again today, took out the outdoor condenser and concluded it was compressor issue. could hear sizzling sound.

called up Mitsubishi and they quoted around 960 for compressor replacement. unit is more than 5 years old and not in warranty.

should i change the whole condenser or just replace the compressor? I did not manage to get a rough quote on the condenser unit tho.

any help deeply appreciated!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #9308

Hi guys,

mitsubishi starmex problem here.

aircon first stopped giving cold air, called for repair and costed 80 for gas refill, less than 12 hours later same issue again.

the person came down again today, took out the outdoor condenser and concluded it was compressor issue. could hear sizzling sound.

called up Mitsubishi and they quoted around 960 for compressor replacement. unit is more than 5 years old and not in warranty.

should i change the whole condenser or just replace the compressor? I did not manage to get a rough quote on the condenser unit tho.

any help deeply appreciated!
Can get a quote from REDCON AIR...
Old 08-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #9309

after change the other problem come out... better replace new one... BRO....
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #9310
Arch-Supremacy Member

after change the other problem come out... better replace new one... BRO....
yeah the installer guys are coming tmr.
Toshiba RAS-4M26SACV $4350 including 5 years extended warranty and $200 voucher.
empirestrike likes this.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #9311

May I know which brands are good now ? Any rankings from top to bottom ?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #9312

Hi,

If you are installing a new air conditioner, and had opted for new piping, than it is important that you observe the installers to ensure that they do not joint the pipes.

Discuss this requirement with the seller and have it written in your order that no jointing is acceptable except at the FCU and Condenser and to use flared joints. Some worker braze the pipe at the FCU to save them the work to properly route the pipes.

Brazing of the pipes is not acceptable and you should be consulted if worker which to do brazing. Never Never allow them to braze the pipes.

As you are paying for the new pipe, there is no reason why the new pipe need to be jointed. New pipe comes at a length of 15m and this is sufficient for most houses in Singapore.

Jointing of new pipes are done when workers salvage left over new pipes from other installation to save cost. Some pipes may have a few joints from shorter pipes. When pipes are inserted into the insulation, it becomes difficult for the customers to check for brazed joints. Workers will normally insert the pipes into the insulation when you are not around or during lunch time when no one is watching them.

Have it in your agreement that you wish to inspect the new pipe before they are inserted into the insulation.

In Singapore, all air conditioner joint that are brazed are inappropriately done, ie without the use of nitrogen gas and as a result may cause serious failure to the system with expensive repair or even complete change of the whole system.

Attached is a link showing what happened when copper pipe is brazed with and without nitrogen.

https://youtu.be/Bpqxbc9XQ5Y

Air conditioner system consist of parts that have very fine holes in the control devices and scaling from brazed pipe without using nitrogen can easily choke the system.

So NEVER NEVER allow your new pipes to be brazed joint by the worker at any cost. Stop them, or reject the pipe and show them your agreement that you have with the seller.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.
Hi Dachee,

Do you know what is brazing in chinese? My aircon contractor do not understand what is brazing. He mention that our pipes definitely need to be joint and he will "shao" (烧) the pipes.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #9313

Looking to replace my Hitachi air-conditioners soon. Are Mitsubishi Starmex the way to go?
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 AM   #9314

May I know which brands are good now ? Any rankings from top to bottom ?
Daikin
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic

Old 11-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #9315

hello i am complete noob here. going to get new HDB。

Anyone knows if it is advisable if i buy say a system 2 inverter aircon at online taobao then send here then i get electrician to install everything here?
empirestrike likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.