HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree892Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #9436

Re-locate existing aircon to another bedroom

Dear Bros, may I know is there any reliable contractor can do the re-locate existing aircon to another bedroom? What's the estimated cost? Thanks
Old 27-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #9437

I engage this company known as cold engine, decent workmanship. They can do 1 or 2 trips installation, just need to add $50 for 2 trips.

I took mitsubishi starmex 2 ticks system, upgraded to 1/2 inch insulation, SWG22 copper pipes etc. $3850 + $50 for 2nd trip.
9k BTU x 2 common bedrooms
13k BTU master bedroom
24k BTU Living room
Hi bro,
your house is how 4 room or 5 room? bto or resale?

anyways, do you know what is the cooling capacity for the compressor? i checked the ME website, never mention??

btw, can share why u didnt take the 5 ticks one?
Old 28-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #9438
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi bro,
your house is how 4 room or 5 room? bto or resale?

anyways, do you know what is the cooling capacity for the compressor? i checked the ME website, never mention??

btw, can share why u didnt take the 5 ticks one?
4rm BTO.

Compressor is 2.8K BTU, the model number already can tell. Got 3.8K BTU compressor which I didn't take because there is zero chance of me using all the units at once.

5 ticks one is not as reliable, you can search for reviews online. Complaints of excessive noise etc is common. Moreover the power savings came at the expense of power reduction.
Old 28-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #9439

Living room, 18k is enough.

For $50 more, take the 71.

Hi Terumo bro
my living room is 29.5 m2. 18K BTU not enough???

And Yes you are right, Gain city tell me no more MHI 9K BTU fancoil. Give 12K BTU fancoil for all 3 bedrooms.

I went gain city yesterday.

MHI system 4:
Option 1: SCM80ZJ – SRK60ZJ / SRK35ZJ x 3 - $4189
Option 2: SCM80ZJ – SRK71ZJ / SRK35ZJ x 3 - $4239

Price difference not much, so no need to compare the cost. And they give me a better fan coil for my living room. Does that mean it is a no brainer to choose the second option?

Last edited by terumo; 28-03-2017 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 28-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #9440

Sorry, this might sound silly, but ME starmex 24K BTU indoor unit is referring to MSY-GE24VA or 26VA? Cos brocedure put 24VA is 6kW and 26VA is 7.1kW, after convert, GE24VA is not 24K BTU?
Old 28-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #9441

Usually aircon contractors refer to GE24 as 24k btu.
=/-10% variance is acceptable.

Sorry, this might sound silly, but ME starmex 24K BTU indoor unit is referring to MSY-GE24VA or 26VA? Cos brocedure put 24VA is 6kW and 26VA is 7.1kW, after convert, GE24VA is not 24K BTU?
Old 30-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #9442

Guys, I need your help.
I read many pages but I still can't quite understand.

I will collect keys to my 3 rooms new BTO soon (size: 65m2) and I want to put aircon. in 2 bedrooms and 1 living room.
Usage: 2 bedrooms 8 hours/day. Living room probably 3-4 hours/day.

Questions:
1. Is system 3 is my best option?
2. Based on my usage, how many ticks are recommended?
3. I prefer Daikin, could you recommend me the exact model?
4. Can we tile over the drainage pipe?

I can just go to shop and ask but I might get chopped.
Appreciate your help.
Old 30-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #9443

Guys, I need your help.

I will collect keys to my 3 rooms new BTO soon (size: 65m2) and I want to put aircon. in 2 bedrooms and 1 living room.

Questions:

Appreciate your help.
Hey, we're all here to help one another. It's quite unlikely that the sales guys out there will tell you everything that you see in this thread.

Hmm, 2x bedrooms for 8 hours a day. That seems to qualify as a moderate-high usage situation to me. I suppose there are occasions where you'll have the living room unit turned on at the same time as the units in the bedrooms, i.e. all blowers turned on.

To your questions:

1. It seems like system 3 would be the best value for money option.

2. Get an outdoor unit (condenser) that's rated to the cooling power that you'll need. For example, if you're primarily using the 2x bedrooms through the night, 2x 9,000 BTU/hr units is what you'll need and thus a condenser rated to 18,000 BTU/hr with the highest efficiency will save you money in the long run [note: 'long run' as the upfront cost of a more efficient system (more ticks) will be higher as compared to a less efficient system].

3. I prefer Daikin as well! I'm currently using the 5 ticks SMILE series that's all over Channel 8's advertisements. In line with what I mentioned in point 2, you should get something like:

Outdoor unit: MKS65QVMG
Indoor units: 2x CTKS25QVM (for 2x bedroom), CTKS50QVM (living room)

* Basic price is S$3,320.00 from http://diyappliances.com.sg/product/daikin-smile-s3/ WITHOUT any add-ons which you should consider getting.

4. I wouldn't recommend tiling over drainage pipes unless absolutely necessary (e.g. safety for young children), reason being that clogs may occur in the future and maintenance works may require access to your drainage pipes to remove the dirt accumulation. It would be a horror to have to hack away tiles to access these pipes.

Remember, an air-conditioner is a long-term investment. Hence, whatever you choose or do, in terms of workmanship, materials and parts, do not simply pick the cheapest option. That may cost you significantly in the long run.

As an example: I've a colleague who stays in a landed property and has an air-conditioning system set up, with all the piping concealed in the walls. His drainage pipes are 12mm wide, which is of a 'standard' size. One of his family members likes using the air-conditioner heavily, and that has resulted in significant dirt build-up in the pipes, preventing water from draining away effectively. This has led to water seepage in his walls. Unfortunately for him, the cost of replacing the pipes with larger ones is not trivial and thus he has no choice but to live with clogged pipes and reduce the usage of the A/C.

Think wisely before proceeding!
terumo likes this.
Old 31-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #9444

Hi,

1) System 3 is a good option.
2) 3-5 ticks
3) 3MKS50 + 25 X 2 + 35
4) Best to leave it exposed.

Guys, I need your help.

Questions:

Appreciate your help.
Old 31-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #9445

Quantom and terumo. Thank you for your advice.
terumo likes this.
Old 31-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #9446

Dear all,
I would also like to ask for help and recommendations here:

I have a 5 room BTO flat and looking for a system 4 for all 3 rooms and living room. Average usage is 3-4hours at night in Masterbed room. 1-2hours in the living and other rooms.

1) I prefer Mitsubishi Starmex and i assume 2 ticks is good enough. Could anyone recommend a model, would like to do a price comparison with the one from my ID?

2) Is 22K + 9k +9k +9K enough for my case?

3) Many people recommend Cold Engine & Hong Huat Engineering. Can anyone PM me the contact?

4) If BTO from scratch, does it mean it is likely to be a 2 trip installation?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #9447

Hi,

1) Yes, 2 or 3 ticks should be enough.

2) Yes.

3) Can search from thread or PM.

4) 1 or 2 trips will be depending on your ID.

Dear all,
I would also like to ask for help and recommendations here:

I have a 5 room BTO flat and looking for a system 4 for all 3 rooms and living room. Average usage is 3-4hours at night in Masterbed room. 1-2hours in the living and other rooms.

1) I prefer Mitsubishi Starmex and i assume 2 ticks is good enough. Could anyone recommend a model, would like to do a price comparison with the one from my ID?

2) Is 22K + 9k +9k +9K enough for my case?

3) Many people recommend Cold Engine & Hong Huat Engineering. Can anyone PM me the contact?

4) If BTO from scratch, does it mean it is likely to be a 2 trip installation?
Old 01-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #9448

Dear gurus,

my 13 yr old 3(9k) plus 1(18K) Panasonic aircon have decided to call it quit this evening..

read a bit in this thread and need to seek help,

- am looking at Daikin smile series -
is it good to get
~ 2 x 9K for 2 small rooms (system2) & 1 x 9K for master bed room plus 18K for living room (system2)
= 2 compressors

OR
~ simply a system 4 = 3 X 9k plus 18K for living room?
one compressor

any other suggestion / brands are most welcome...
trying to work with 4.5k
wife was saying in leu of higher electricity cost, she like to see 5 ticks .. save money in long term.. but 2 or 3 ticks ones are still ok? cheaper they are thou.

meanwhile if you can intro contractors/seller as well.

Many thanks
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #9449

Any recommendation for model?
Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #9450

Hi all, does anyone have experience with any of the following installers?
1. Nat Aire (or aka DIY Appliances)
2. CT Air-con
3. Cre8tionbay Aircon (or aka Sgsaver)
Any experience/reviews will be much appreciated, thank you in advance!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.