HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #9691

Yes not sure if it's reliability. Most repairmen I spoke to recommend Mitsubishi Starmex or Daikin. However Starmex is 2 ticks whereas Toshiba is 4. However Toshiba seems like a Low profile brand?
Toshiba last time is 4 ticks now sure be 2 ticks
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #9692

Question Mitsubishi 5 ticks is not reliable?

Hi all,
I thinking to get the new Mitsubishi 5 ticks System 4 for my BTO. What are the issues of this new System 4? really that bad?

Drop the starmex 5 ticks, heard of too many issues. You can google for yourself to read.

My ID remind me on more than 1 occasion to avoid 5 ticks because these system are not reliable. You spend so much money on aircon so reliability is the most important. He recommend starmex 2 ticks which is the best in his opinion doing so many renovation so you get the drift. And he ask me to get my own aircon so i got it from cold engine. Good service and workmanship IMO.

I personally boycott Toshiba due to the poor design which result in frequent choking and thus leaking when my house had it. Panasonic is relatively problem free in comparison.

If you guys go to read up on EDMW reno thread, >70% choose starmex 2 ticks, overwhelming favourite.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #9693
High Supremacy Member

Drop the starmex 5 ticks, heard of too many issues. You can google for yourself to read.

My ID remind me on more than 1 occasion to avoid 5 ticks because these system are not reliable. You spend so much money on aircon so reliability is the most important. He recommend starmex 2 ticks which is the best in his opinion doing so many renovation so you get the drift. And he ask me to get my own aircon so i got it from cold engine. Good service and workmanship IMO.

I personally boycott Toshiba due to the poor design which result in frequent choking and thus leaking when my house had it. Panasonic is relatively problem free in comparison.

If you guys go to read up on EDMW reno thread, >70% choose starmex 2 ticks, overwhelming favourite.
Thanks for the review.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #9694

Hi guys, need some feedback for aircon.

Was quoted $4100 for Mitsubishi Starmex (2 ticks) using Mitsubishi 4A28 (10k BTU x 3 & 24K BTU x 1). The warranty is 1 year for indoor and spare parts and 5 years for compressor

- Gauge 22 Copper pipe
- 1/2 Armaflex insulation
- 16mm drainage pipe
- DNE wire

Is it alright and what else do i need to look out for? Appreciate your help as i need to confirm my aircon soon. Thanks all.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #9695
Master Member

tried calling cold engine but dunno why theres no dial tone at all.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #9696

Oh Mitsubishi heavy industries. Ya around this price.
My one is MEX MSYGE10VA X 3
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #9697
Master Member

so from the general info i gathered, gain city is bad, cold engine is good. but besides that which other reputable shops (preferably with instalment) do you all recommend? courts, harvey norman, megadiscount all no good meh?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #9698

My one is MEX MSYGE10VA X 3

That's the fan cool.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #9699

That's the fan cool.
MXY3A28 for the out door unit, standard.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 29-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #9700

MXY3A28 for the out door unit, standard.
My fren recommended me that outdoor unit too. He's using it and claimed his utilities bill is now $100 cheaper
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 30-05-2017, 01:29 AM   #9701

Just had Daikin 5-ticks Smile series installed against recommendations from my AC installer and friends ... and has issue since day 1 - condensation appears on the study room unit which i don't turn On overnight and dripping on my laminate floor every morning.

Reported issue to Daikin and their technician came down (and I took leaves) twice but still couldn't resolve the issue till date. Issue was diagnosed to be faulty main motherboard or faulty valve of the brand new outdoor unit but technician seems unfamiliar how to proceed. When I asked further, he explained that his experience in this 5-ticks series is limited as not many people install them. He was even trying to convince me that issue was resolved on the second visit by just doing some self-testings, but I disagreed cos I could already tell from the symptoms. When I insisted he do something, he told me he didn't have the parts again and may need to do welding on my brand new compressor unit to further confirm the issue. Had no choice but to let him go (and wasted my 2 days leaves for nothing). True enough, condensation started 1 hour after he left. So issue still exist to date after 1 week since installation. I'm calling and sending a complaint to Daikin tomorrow!

So reliability is important indeed but after-sales support and technician capability are also very important, which for Daikin case ... well, you judge for yourself.
who is the installer?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 30-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #9702

I think you able to get Starmex 5 ticks for this price already ...

Hi guys, need some feedback for aircon.

Was quoted $4100 for Mitsubishi Starmex (2 ticks) using Mitsubishi 4A28 (10k BTU x 3 & 24K BTU x 1). The warranty is 1 year for indoor and spare parts and 5 years for compressor

- Gauge 22 Copper pipe
- 1/2 Armaflex insulation
- 16mm drainage pipe
- DNE wire

Is it alright and what else do i need to look out for? Appreciate your help as i need to confirm my aircon soon. Thanks all.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 31-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #9703

Aircon installed by Cold Engine

Just finish an installation done by Cold Engine yesterday. Took up the package of Mitsubishi Electri (4 stars), MSY-GE10VA-R2 (4 ticks), system-1 for my room.

Have a very good experience with Cold Engine from quotation->site survey->installation. Will recommend it to the bros here.

They came around 1130am. My situation is quite complicated cos the unit will be place in my bedroom which is a storeroom away from the master bedroom, hence the drilling and piping have to be done from master bedroom to storeroom and lead to my room. I would say the noise level is quite minimized, they also clean up the bits and parts throughout the installation. Installation, piping and the cast are all nicely done. Everything is completed around 5pm.

Paid $1330 for the entire stuffs including of aircon unit, bracket, power point and one of the main switch thingy for the promotion of May month. So far so good, aircon works well last night and easily cool the entire room.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 31-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #9704

tried calling cold engine but dunno why theres no dial tone at all.
you can drop them an email, my conversation are mostly done via email exchange with michelle from cold engine.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #9705
Master Member

Just had Cold Engine install a System-1 Mitsubishi Starmex 12k-btu.
Very satisfied with the workmanship.

Was quoted $1150, which was about 100 more expensive than Gain City. But once GC heard that it's for landed property, want to charge me $300-500 extra to replace all the piping (utter BS).
I don't even need ledges (compressor placed on balcony just outside window)... piping also less than 2-metres.

Cold Engine replaced all piping and the casing for the hoses, touched up the wall and fill up holes and gaps for me really nicely without any extra charges.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.