HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #1081

Hi people,

the compressor for 2 of my units has spoiled already. looking to replace the full unit.

any recommendations for system2/system3 inverter-type air-conditioner?

Criteria is pretty simple :

1. Low power consumption
2. Durable
3. Doesn't have to be a high-powered unit, since i'm thinking of installing it just above the bed only.
4. Doesn't have to look good, but would be a plus!

the Gain City guy recommended Hitachi unit to me, $3388 for system3 inverter, includes bracketing,installation, 5yr extended warranty - worth it?

Starmex is out of stock though - $200 more ex than Hitachi and less power saving, judging from the part/full load.

Last edited by gascooler; 11-11-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #1082

hi, is it normal that alum foil is use to wrap around the class 'o' insulation rubber for the connection from the out door unit to the indoor?
was told of this from one of the sale man, another shop say they use form instead. or what is the correct way?

thks
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #1083
Supremacy Member

hi, is it normal that alum foil is use to wrap around the class 'o' insulation rubber for the connection from the out door unit to the indoor?
was told of this from one of the sale man, another shop say they use form instead. or what is the correct way?

thks
u mean the foil is originally wrap around the insulation? or they wrap the foil on the spot themselves?

if the foil u c is originally wrap around the insulation, than tat is better. becos it helps to protect the insulation against uv-ray, rain or shine. normally it is used on the outside. connecting from condenser unit to inside your hse...

if say use normal insulation, than mayb in a year or few years later, the insulation will start to come off. at tat time your neighour below u wil start to nag at u... n your aircon will not be tat cold liao.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #1084

u mean the foil is originally wrap around the insulation? or they wrap the foil on the spot themselves?

if the foil u c is originally wrap around the insulation, than tat is better. becos it helps to protect the insulation against uv-ray, rain or shine. normally it is used on the outside. connecting from condenser unit to inside your hse...

if say use normal insulation, than mayb in a year or few years later, the insulation will start to come off. at tat time your neighour below u wil start to nag at u... n your aircon will not be tat cold liao.
the alum foil is wrap around the insulation which is class O. so this kind of installation way is good? any different using class 0 and class 1?

i see my flat other units, it seem all just having black rubber insulation, so this is the normal way?

you know anything about using form instead?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #1085
Supremacy Member

the alum foil is wrap around the insulation which is class O. so this kind of installation way is good? any different using class 0 and class 1?

i see my flat other units, it seem all just having black rubber insulation, so this is the normal way?

you know anything about using form instead?
Class 0 n 1, the different is jus the fire rating. means class 0 wont be so easy burn up by fire.

any insulation is the same IMO. important is the thickness of the insulation used for the piping size n R22 or R410A.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #1086

Class 0 n 1, the different is jus the fire rating. means class 0 wont be so easy burn up by fire.

any insulation is the same IMO. important is the thickness of the insulation used for the piping size n R22 or R410A.

thus i see not important of class 0 or 1 . hmm... for 1/2 in insulation, what is the copper size diameter?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #1087
Supremacy Member

thus i see not important of class 0 or 1 . hmm... for 1/2 in insulation, what is the copper size diameter?
this would help alot..

http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/...o_Meterial.asp
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #1088

Hi people,

the compressor for 2 of my units has spoiled already. looking to replace the full unit.

1. Low power consumption
2. Durable
3. Doesn't have to be a high-powered unit, since i'm thinking of installing it just above the bed only.

the Gain City guy recommended Hitachi unit to me, $3388 for system3 inverter, includes bracketing,installation, 5yr extended warranty - worth it?

Starmex is out of stock though - $200 more ex than Hitachi and less power saving, judging from the part/full load.
anyone can help?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #1089
Supremacy Member

anyone can help?
read from your heart. if u tink tat aircon is gd than buy it.

but there is pro n con of every brand, model. so choose carefully.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #1090

Daikin will not be involved in anything regarding piping or installation. They will just do their part and check on their equipment only. If i'm not wrong.
Old 13-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #1091

read from your heart. if u tink tat aircon is gd than buy it.

but there is pro n con of every brand, model. so choose carefully.
don't really get what you mean. i think it'd be more useful to follow some guidelines/feedback when choosing an air-con, rather than base it on your "heart"?

yes i understand, precisely why i asked for feedback, so i can include more pros and cons in my decision-making and help me to make the best choice.
Old 13-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #1092
Master Member

Hi people,

1. Low power consumption
2. Durable

i'm currently using Toshiba Invertor sys-4. Chose it mainly becoz it's compressor is made-in-japan, plus my parent's place also used Toshiba previously which lasted them for ~15 years!

my first invertor system was Fujitsu... which i had to repair after ~ 4 yrs of usage.

i'm a heavy user, btw, on ~ 12hrs every nite.

one thing to note was the Toshiba is very cold and i have to set it ~ 25-26C. It uses R410a gas, and the condensed water can be chilly to the point that it may cause sweating on the drainage pipes, even when it's insulated with ARMAFLEX.

Also, GC installed it for me.
Old 13-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #1093
Supremacy Member

don't really get what you mean. i think it'd be more useful to follow some guidelines/feedback when choosing an air-con, rather than base it on your "heart"?

yes i understand, precisely why i asked for feedback, so i can include more pros and cons in my decision-making and help me to make the best choice.
IMO, seldom people install Hitachi aircon.

mostly people install Daikin, Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, MHI.

n also by researching at coolserve.com.sg, u can compare many brands n model of its full load n part load. u can go to nea website for comparison on full/part load data.

Last edited by chunlianghere; 13-11-2009 at 12:25 PM..
Old 15-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #1094

i'm currently using Toshiba Invertor sys-4. Chose it mainly becoz it's compressor is made-in-japan, plus my parent's place also used Toshiba previously which lasted them for ~15 years!

my first invertor system was Fujitsu... which i had to repair after ~ 4 yrs of usage.

i'm a heavy user, btw, on ~ 12hrs every nite.

one thing to note was the Toshiba is very cold and i have to set it ~ 25-26C. It uses R410a gas, and the condensed water can be chilly to the point that it may cause sweating on the drainage pipes, even when it's insulated with ARMAFLEX.

Also, GC installed it for me.

haha. i was using Toshiba all the way from 1999 to 2009. now one of the compressors broke down.. thinking it'd be more economical to change the whole system instead.

btw i went to coolserve website - but the "advisor" seems to have limited selections for system3. is it updated ?

for NEA website, they only described how the tests were being done, but did not give data on the different air-cons tested.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2843

any idea?

Last edited by gascooler; 15-11-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Old 15-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #1095
Supremacy Member

haha. i was using Toshiba all the way from 1999 to 2009. now one of the compressors broke down.. thinking it'd be more economical to change the whole system instead.

btw i went to coolserve website - but the "advisor" seems to have limited selections for system3. is it updated ?

for NEA website, they only described how the tests were being done, but did not give data on the different air-cons tested.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2843

any idea?
It is updated! not every company/shop hav the same thing/every brand & model!!

wa piang!!! u sure at the left side only 1 link? explore all links man! it is at "Database of Registered Goods "
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.