HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air purifier? - Part 2

Like Tree499Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #2101
Great Supremacy Member

7 year old aircon FCU fan cleaned with aircon foam, paint brush and oral irrigator water flosser spray.

No need to dismantle/take out. No issue with spraying into electrical motor or what..... cleaned so many FCUs (parents and mine) so many times for so many years.
It's just a 5 min jobbie. All the dust/mold all taken care of by the aircon foam, brush's physical action, oral irrigator water flosser spray.

Old 21-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #2102
Great Supremacy Member

7 year old aircon FCU used nightly.

Aircon foam, no brush, oral irrigator/water flosser (Panasonic oral irrigator, but i guess some Taobao water flosser would work too)

Another 5 min jobbie nia.

5-10 min for preparation, get the pails, clothes, rinse the filter, take out the lourvers etc....

Close up pic.

Mach3.2 likes this.
Old 22-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #2103
Great Supremacy Member

Old 26-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #2104
Master Member

7 year old aircon FCU used nightly.

Aircon foam, no brush, oral irrigator/water flosser (Panasonic oral irrigator, but i guess some Taobao water flosser would work too)

Another 5 min jobbie nia.

5-10 min for preparation, get the pails, clothes, rinse the filter, take out the lourvers etc....

Close up pic.

You use water oral irrigator/water flosser can finish so fast 5min? Oral irrigator hole so small.

I use water spray gun faster.
super365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #2105
Arch-Supremacy Member

I vacc, jet blow with air compressor then use a cleaning foam
Akai Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #2106
Great Supremacy Member

You use water oral irrigator/water flosser can finish so fast 5min? Oral irrigator hole so small.

Yep, 5 min for the coil. 5 min for the fan. In fact usually is less time than that unless if i want 2 passes to really rinse out the aircon foam if i am ngeow that day, but 1 pass is enough from what i can see. The key is to use a mug for water supply coz getting down and going to the tap to refill it and climbing back up is the main time wastage activity. I mean, the built-in oral irrigator container is only 160ml.

In fact probably more time is used to gather the basins, rags, take the stool, take out filters and plastic air guides and wash, get the foam, fix back the filters/plastic guides etc.

The water pressure is 120 PSI from the water flosser, so that helps heaps. A mains tap is around 30 PSI when turned on (do not read the mains gauge when the tap is turned off).....35 PSI if your area has higher pressure. It has much more volume capability of course, but i guess you can't full blast use that much water anyway unless if you have one of the below?

For me i just put 2 small basin beneath the FCU to catch the water when i am blasting the blower. The coil's drainage pan is sufficient to handle the flow.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 28-12-2016 at 07:23 AM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #2107
Great Supremacy Member

PS. Just took a measurement. The Panasonic oral irrigator flows at 38 seconds for 160ml, but i am using NiZn 1.7V cells.

Basically that's 250ml per min, or 1.25L in 5 mins. I use a new set of cells for each new FCU though.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #2108
Great Supremacy Member

Recommend new gadget for those who wants about ~ 3X more pressure than then mains but find that an oral irrigator has too low a flow.
You can use the cigarette lighter socket when washing the car at the washing bay or the DC adapter at home.

Need to use EZbuy Prime though.... official forwarders cannot ship.

https://world.taobao.com/item/520366....k7Vlwi#detail

https://ezbuy.sg/Product/Detail?url=...tail&src=10001

Additional video inside, the stream can shoot 2 car lengths, or 10m. No way you can do this with a HDB faucet no matter how you play with the nozzle. (I tried before)

https://world.taobao.com/item/424237....ADdWgd#detail

Someone else in another thread has tried a true pressure washer, pls don't do it as the fins would bend, every one of them. lol
I think this guy dialed down from 1500 PSI to like 300 or so (doesn't sound like 1500 PSI also for the volume of water seen), even though it's perpendicularly straight in and not at an angle.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 28-12-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Old 28-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #2109
Great Supremacy Member

3.8 m/s @ 22.1 deg C vs 4.9 m/s @ 18.7 deg C for before cleaning and after cleaning
3 yrs never cleaned FCU

That's literally like half the efficiency.

Old 28-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #2110
Great Supremacy Member

My guess is that for those who said that an AP airflow that is properly sized helps their allergic rhinitis condition = probably due to the mold or dust mite or dust mite droppings or whatever shiat that's living in your coils/blower, assuming that you have been keeping your pillows and mattresses clean. (esp pillows/bolsters that you use to cover your eyes/nose are extremely close to your nose intakes)

So in a way if you are anal about keeping the AC FCU clean, an AP might not be that big a help. (might still help to a certain degree though)

Old 30-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #2111
Great Supremacy Member

Decided to find out what really is going on...

35 PSI mains water nozzled to do some cleaning on the vanes. (typical mold/caked dust/grime that you'd fins on the coils and blower fan as well). Aircon surfactants seems to be doing the main work in loosening the gunk. The 120 PSI water flosser, though low in flowrate water vol, does the job very well.

The 35 PSI mains probably only helps in flushing out the big chunks. Those stuff sticking on the surface no use.
Actually you can try the same on your wall fan blades, you would see the same result. It does not remove the stuff that's sticking to the surface. A brush's physical action would work for the 3-blades fans, of coz.

PS. I let the aircon foam sit for about 10 mins. The aircon foam would actually "turn into liquid" after a while and flow down. Just explaining this out, in case someone asks "why did the foam disappear and you cut out the vid".

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 30-12-2016 at 03:16 PM..
Old 30-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #2112
Great Supremacy Member

But anyway, after reviewing the video......the water flosser by itself is doing a significantly better job (and much faster) than 35 PSI mains.

It's like one shot one kill......it only needs a small vol of water, in fact a few ml for that small spot, to get the job done. You don't need like 500 litres of nozzled mains water, actually the results with 500 litres of water = worse.
Old 30-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #2113
Great Supremacy Member

After washing with 35 PSI mains nozzled water

After washing with 120 PSI water flosser

Then...

After applying aircon foam and let it sit for 10 mins, but before rinsing/blasting with 120 PSI water flosser.

After aircon foam and after rinsing/blasting with 120 PSI water flosser. You can see that there is a further slight reduction of the black stuff when compared with after aircon foam application and before 120 PSI rinse.
Old 30-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #2114
Great Supremacy Member

Part 2 - decided to use a much longer duration blast and tried to nozzle it better.
As you can see, each stain is removed within half a second with the oral irrigator.

Old 31-12-2016, 01:43 AM   #2115
Great Supremacy Member

Just came across some videos of the previously recommended portable car wash pail cum pump (got options that come with AC adapter for home use). They claim to be anywhere from 90 - 130 PSI.

But looks to be powerful enough. Check out the spray..... @ 1.40 min

@ 6.30 etc....
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.