HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air purifier? - Part 2

Like Tree499Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #2746
Master Member

i have the xiaomi air purifier pro, recently can smell a bad smell coming from the purifier? i check the life span of the filter still have 55%.. i am using the original purple color filter? can advise how to clean the purifier pro to remove the smell off??
tingsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #2747
Great Supremacy Member

i have the xiaomi air purifier pro, recently can smell a bad smell coming from the purifier? i check the life span of the filter still have 55%.. i am using the original purple color filter? can advise how to clean the purifier pro to remove the smell off??
Can be helped. The compounds trapped in the filter is giving off the bad smells.
Some compounds give off worse smells than others. Eg, the PM2.5 recently is very low, but the smell is very bad. Anyway, it might be VOCs also, but i highly doubt, coz over here at Tg Pagar southernmost side also can smell.

My laser particle meter barely registers anything, 20-30 ug/m3 raw, 40 ug/m3 sometimes if you push it. However the smell is as if like Indonesia haze 100-150 ug/m3 levels.

So the 55% filter lifespan is just a very very rough guideline.

Change it.

That's why i use the TB H11 grade filters. It's cheap and it works. One year i change 2X. Zero smell issue.
But some pax might be concerned with the very slight outgassing of smell for the first 48-96hrs or usage for the TB filters. And they do not want to leave it switched on for 48-96hrs or so to reduce the smell. I now operate have 5 air purifiers in the house, if you ask me to buy and change 10 filters annually, i'd better be earning at least 300k PA.

These APs are all running at medium or medium low speed so as to keep the dB SPL down. During haze periods, they'd be running at higher speeds, and max speed during initial 30 mins of returning home etc.
Same concept as the air conditioner fan speed/thermostat ba.

In 2015 haze season, i was gunning 9 air purifiers. That means that year i need to change 18 filters at my house.
Include my parents house 3 x air purifiers, it's 12 units total. 24 filters.

Even Sharp filters can smell, so can Samsung filters. Originals.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 21-03-2019 at 01:10 PM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #2748
Great Supremacy Member

At Sungai Kim Kim Pasir Gudang, Xylene, Acrolein and Hydrogen chloride are rated as 1, ie Poor.

Acrylonitrile, Benzene, Methane and Toulene is a 4 though, excellent.

Ethylbenzene is also found there at Sungai Kim Kim, rated as 3. Good.

If there is a need, see if IQAir GC Multigas can help. Expensive stuff, can't be helped if you are living at the northeast esp with kids.
I mean, some families have 5-7k worth of aircon and spend $400 on electricity bills.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 21-03-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Old 21-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #2749
Master Member

Can be helped. The compounds trapped in the filter is giving off the bad smells.
Some compounds give off worse smells than others. Eg, the PM2.5 recently is very low, but the smell is very bad. Anyway, it might be VOCs also, but i highly doubt, coz over here at Tg Pagar southernmost side also can smell.

My laser particle meter barely registers anything, 20-30 ug/m3 raw, 40 ug/m3 sometimes if you push it. However the smell is as if like Indonesia haze 100-150 ug/m3 levels.

So the 55% filter lifespan is just a very very rough guideline.

Change it.

That's why i use the TB H11 grade filters. It's cheap and it works. One year i change 2X. Zero smell issue.
But some pax might be concerned with the very slight outgassing of smell for the first 48-96hrs or usage for the TB filters. And they do not want to leave it switched on for 48-96hrs or so to reduce the smell. I now operate have 5 air purifiers in the house, if you ask me to buy and change 10 filters annually, i'd better be earning at least 300k PA.

These APs are all running at medium or medium low speed so as to keep the dB SPL down. During haze periods, they'd be running at higher speeds, and max speed during initial 30 mins of returning home etc.
Same concept as the air conditioner fan speed/thermostat ba.

In 2015 haze season, i was gunning 9 air purifiers. That means that year i need to change 18 filters at my house.
Include my parents house 3 x air purifiers, it's 12 units total. 24 filters.

Even Sharp filters can smell, so can Samsung filters. Originals.

Thanks Bro...
WussRedXLi likes this.
tingsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #2750
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can't find my past merchant on TB for replacement filter for sharp KCA50...anyone got lobang?

Sent from 30% using GAGT
Akai Ryu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 11:03 PM   #2751
Great Supremacy Member

One more additional chart for reference. Confirms that the first one i posted on the last page is legit.

Old 21-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #2752
Great Supremacy Member

Just found out that IQAir GC multigas catridges do takes care of hydrogen chloride gas. Suspect that the Austinair healthmate does not.

https://www.sylvane.com/iqair-gc-mul...purifiers.html

It uses 17 pounds of gas-media to remove harmful gases, chemicals, VOCs, smoke, formaldehyde and more.

Gas Filter & Carbon Cartridge: Control a wide-range number of odors and chemical substances with this large filter media. It neutralizes gases better than any portable air purifier on the market; in fact, it packs more chemical removal power than 100 gas masks. Created from bituminous coal, alumina pellets and other quality filtration media, this stage removes formaldehyde, gases, odors and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These filters last approximately 2.5 years.

This model filters out chemical traces and odors stemming from Acetic acid, Acetone, Acrolein, Acrylonitrile, 1.3 Butadiene, Butyric acid, Carbon disulfide, Chlorine dioxide, Cresol, Cyclohexanone, Diethylamine, Dimethylamine, Ethanol, Ethyl acetate, Ethyl acrylate, Ethylamine, Formaldehyde, Formic acid, Hydrogen chloride, Isoprene, Isopropanol, Methanol, Methyl acrylate, Methyl disulfide, Methyl ethyl ketone, Methyl mercaptan, Methyl sulfid, Methyl vinyl ketone, Methylamine, Nitroglycerine, Ozone, Phenol, Skatole, Styrene, Sulfur trioxide, Trichloroethylene, Trihylamine, Trimethylamine, and Vinyl chloride.

Acrolein and Hydrogen Chloride can only be taken care by this IQAir GC multigas unit.
Activated charcoal types cannot touch these 2 particular VOCs.

Else, benzene, toulene, xylene, acrylonitrile, ethylbenzene (styrene), hydrogen cyanide, sulfur dioxide can be taken care nicely by good quality activated charcoal chemisorption.

Here's a good tiong AP that i can remember, this one is specifically aimed for formaldehyde, but it would work even better for the above VOC compounds coz formaldehyde is even more difficult to be adsorped.

Maybe for HCL, can just use one of those evaporative cooler since HCL readily dissolves in water. Acrolein is the last missing chemical to be taken care of, but i guess if budget is low, can't be helped. Coz it's only in this dumping episode that acrolein is present. Not sure about normal days, don't think it is produced even during the Tg Langsat landfill fire.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?sp...=1&abbucket=12

Look at the activated charcoal filters, claimed to be using the best stuff also.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 22-03-2019 at 07:21 AM..
Old 22-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #2753
Great Supremacy Member

Old 23-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #2754
Supremacy Member

Anyone knows whether they sell the xiaomi air purifier 2S in their retail shop? Or need to order from online?
htngwilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #2755
Great Supremacy Member

For reference, it was pretty near actually. North Residences BTO in Punggol is only 3km from SMK Tg Puteri which had 260 victims being sent to hospital.

Old 23-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #2756

Anyone knows whether they sell the xiaomi air purifier 2S in their retail shop? Or need to order from online?
Saw in the Suntec Xiaomi shop just yesterday.
weeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 10:30 PM   #2757

I came across some models that are similar to AX40K3020GWD

KJ310F-K3020PW (Similar to AX40K3020GWD but lacks Virus Doctor and has a 42W power consumption)
KJ350G-K3026WP (Similar to AX40K3020GWD but has a 47W power consumption and CADR is 350m^3/h vs 325.7m^3/h for AX40K3020GWD)

It seems like the models starting with KJ might be produced in China for the Chinese market and maybe the motor might be different from the AX40 model which might explain the higher power consumption.

The price on Taobao looks fairly decent. I'm just wondering if the Chinese models are as reliable as the Korean one.

Last edited by pegasus21; 23-03-2019 at 10:34 PM..
pegasus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #2758
Great Supremacy Member

I came across some models that are similar to AX40K3020GWD

KJ310F-K3020PW (Similar to AX40K3020GWD but lacks Virus Doctor and has a 42W power consumption)
KJ350G-K3026WP (Similar to AX40K3020GWD but has a 47W power consumption and CADR is 350m^3/h vs 325.7m^3/h for AX40K3020GWD)

It seems like the models starting with KJ might be produced in China for the Chinese market and maybe the motor might be different from the AX40 model which might explain the higher power consumption.

The price on Taobao looks fairly decent. I'm just wondering if the Chinese models are as reliable as the Korean one.

Just pick up a piece or 2 of AX40 from carousell for $50-100, wait for it.

Then slap on some Taobao H11-H12 filters. Cut it up and/or fit some bubble wrap at the sides.

Can do one, measured and tested, no issue. The CADR would be lower but that's not a biggie, coz noise levels also would go down a bit. So it's like a medium-high fan speed setting.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #2759
Great Supremacy Member

BTW, these Samsungs have CADR for Formaldehyde in the 50-60 m3/hr range as tested by the chinese test agencies.

So if you are living in SK/PG/Pasir Ris, that's pretty insufficient, using Formaldehyde as a reference point. Unless if you can operate like 10 units of these in the room. That seems like a lot, but then agan you'd need to leave some buffer.

Get the proper units.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 25-03-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Old 25-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #2760

BTW, these Samsungs have CADR for Formaldehyde in the 50-60 m3/hr range as tested by the chinese test agencies.

So if you are living in SK/PG/Pasir Ris, that's pretty insufficient, using Formaldehyde as a reference point. Unless if you can operate like 10 units of these in the room. That seems like a lot, but then agan you'd need to leave some buffer.

Get the proper units.
wad do u propose are the proper units??

i'm looking at dyson TP00 or philips AC2887 or Novita NAP610i or NAP822....
empire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.