HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air purifier? - Part 2

Like Tree510Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #2791
Great Supremacy Member

It's just 9W at 220m/3h and 13W @ 300 m3/hr.

The Xiaomi 2S is 31W @ 310m3/hr. Or something like 22W @ 220m3/hr.

13W difference, lets take 1kWh as 22 cents. 10hr daily operation. That's $0.0286 difference per day or $10 per year. $50 for 5 years, $$100 10 years.

My Samsung AX40 close to 6 years liao. Sharp KC-840 is in its 11th year.
My tiong Mfresh M8088A still kicking, 4 years old.

You do the math.

The filter indeed is a bit expensive at rmb 299/S$60. 1 yr change once. I guess if we use the electrical savings of $10 per year, that brings it down to $50?

BTW, it's best not to push the filters past 1 year, even if that year does not have moderate or dense haze. Personal experience of many years.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 27-03-2019 at 06:26 AM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #2792
Master Member

Leave a 5mm gap at the window so that there is some incoming/outgoing wind, in addition to the door gaps or MBR toilet door/window helping the exchange.

This keeps CO2 concentration from building up > 2000ppm and making you feel irritable in the morning or have headaches.

Need to close the windows. The next question is, can you tahan the heat even with a fan. I'd bet 99.9% of the pax here cannot do that without AC.
I m the 0.01% cos I never on my aircon for more than 3 times since I moved in last July

Posted from PCWX using ONEPLUS 5T
lousydrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #2793
Great Supremacy Member

I m the 0.01% cos I never on my aircon for more than 3 times since I moved in last July

Never switch on AC is fine, no issue. My MIL also does not always switch on in the guest room.....coz my place is quite breezy due to high floor.

The issue is with AP operation, you'd close the doors and windows leaving just a gap of 5mm at the windows to keep CO2 concentrations down, 2-3 pax inside eg with kids, heat load inside grows overnight, can tahan or not? And what if you are watching TV from 8pm to 10.30pm, the heat from the PC/notebook/fibre modem etc.
Coz it's not only the heat but also the humidity is increasing (the AC FCU removes the humidity as well), ie the heat index "I feel" temperature is actually higher than the actual temperature.

I don't think so.....esp not during the hot nights.

And then what about hazy afternoons during haze season where you'd definitely need AC if you wanna close the windows/doors with AP operation. It's going to be even warmer.

-------------------

I give example. 29 deg C, 70% RH. "Apparent" temperature is just 33 deg C.

But room with everything closed . We make it to be "just" 30 deg C. RH is 90%.
"Apparent" temperature is 41 deg C.

That's a whooping 8 deg C apparent temperature difference, even though it looks to be just 1 deg C warmer on the thermometer.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 27-03-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 27-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #2794
Master Member

I am also the 0.01% as I don't have aircon in my entire house.
So use fan to blow direct lor.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 on Rocket Uno with TPG Booster using GAGT
PeasantBeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #2795
Great Supremacy Member

I am also the 0.01% as I don't have aircon in my entire house.
So use fan to blow direct lor.

Let me get it correct. You guys are using the Air purifier nightly with windows and doors both closed, be it from 8pm after you guys reached home and then watch TV, or from 10/11pm during sleeping time with 1 - 3 pax in the room all the way till next morning when you leave home?
Old 27-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #2796
Supremacy Member

Hi expert WussRedXLi,

Since need to leave windows open with only a small gap, I think the right time to use air purifier is when one is not sleeping and/or not in the room.

Leave the air purifier on for a few hours with window slightly opened, then turn it off when one goes to sleep with window totally open for good ventilation. Is this good practice?
klarklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #2797
Great Supremacy Member

Hi expert WussRedXLi,

Since need to leave windows open with only a small gap, I think the right time to use air purifier is when one is not sleeping and/or not in the room.

Leave the air purifier on for a few hours with window slightly opened, then turn it off when one goes to sleep with window totally open for good ventilation. Is this good practice?
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Once you open the windows, the level rises nearly instantly, and normalises with external levels withing 1-2 minutes. If there is a good wind blowing, literally within 20-30 seconds.

And say if the external haze level is heavy and you have closed all the windows and doors, internally you'd need the AP to continue operating at a decent speed/airflow, eg 200 m3/hr in order to maintain air quality, even if you have blasted @ max speed for 1hr earlier.
The same goes for any "heavy smell" for pasir gudang.

People with laser particle meters/CO2 meters would know what am i talking about.
Old 27-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #2798
Supremacy Member

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Once you open the windows, the level rises nearly instantly, and normalises with external levels withing 1-2 minutes. If there is a good wind blowing, literally within 20-30 seconds.

And say if the external haze level is heavy and you have closed all the windows and doors, internally you'd need the AP to continue operating at a decent speed/airflow, eg 200 m3/hr in order to maintain air quality, even if you have blasted @ max speed for 1hr earlier.
The same goes for any "heavy smell" for pasir gudang.

People with laser particle meters/CO2 meters would know what am i talking about.
Does it mean air-con and air-purifier should be turned on at the same time for best comfort?
klarklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #2799
Great Supremacy Member

Does it mean air-con and air-purifier should be turned on at the same time for best comfort?
Of coz. The AC not only removes the heat, it also lowers the relative humidity at the same time. Else it gets all muggy, the humidity has nowhere to go, using a fan does not lower humidity (which when combined with heat as shown in the calculations above, it's a very bad combi).

The main issue is not only about the temperature rise in a closed room with 1 to 3 or 4 pax in the room. When the temperature rises in the room with heat sources like human beings/the TV/PC etc, maybe the walls/floors/ceiling/furniture would absorb a fair bit of the heat.

The humidity in the room would also rise (I mean we humans breathe right?), and that does not really go down.
Other than the much higher Heat Index temperature, a high RH% also makes you feel sticky etc.

I mean, heck, of coz you still can force yourself to sleep in a room with doors/windows closed even on the hottest and most humid nights in SG even in hazy conditions. I don't know, i mean some pax also posted during 2015 heavy haze season that they slept with their N95 respirators on.

Personally for me, i'd not want to live in such a hardcore way......
If the weather is like Chiang Mai (heavy heavy haze now) where it dips to 21 deg C at night then yeah......if the indoors humidity gets high due to people in the room and windows/doors closed then it's still alright coz internal temp would be maybe 25-26 deg C, like our rainy days humid nights condition.

I guess YMMV, your mileage may vary..... *shrugs*
klarklar likes this.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 27-03-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Old 28-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #2800

any recommendation for air purifier?

thinking of getting 1 for my house, 4 room, 2 pax, punggol where the air stinks..

looking at xiaomi 2S, should i buy locally or order from TB?

or just this will do?
https://www.qoo10.sg/item/4-STAGE-FI...ner_no=1305330
Old 28-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #2801
Supremacy Member

thinking of getting 1 for my house, 4 room, 2 pax, punggol where the air stinks..

or just this will do?
Not 100% sure but i think 2s has some automatic mode issue...
MaoZeDuo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #2802
Master Member

or just this will do?
Looking for 1 too. Staying Punggol too

I think should standby 1 or 2 at home

Last time I bought Samsung AX40, not sure if this still a popular choice

lousydrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #2803
Master Member

Let me get it correct. You guys are using the Air purifier nightly with windows and doors both closed, be it from 8pm after you guys reached home and then watch TV, or from 10/11pm during sleeping time with 1 - 3 pax in the room all the way till next morning when you leave home?
Windows leave a very small gap. Room doors are very old type got "louvres" at top 1/3 area, if you know what I mean. Then directly above one room door, not solid wall but got those glass panes built in. Our hdb flat is very old type.

PeasantBeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #2804
Great Supremacy Member

Windows leave a very small gap. Room doors are very old type got "louvres" at top 1/3 area, if you know what I mean. Then directly above one room door, not solid wall but got those glass panes built in. Our hdb flat is very old type.

I understand what you mean.......old HDB units.

Well basically it'd be the same with the new BTOs with double gasket windows and stuff (pretty airtight even with winds blasting against it). It's similar to just leaving the door slightly ajar with a gap of approx 3-4 inches.

Share some experience. In 2015 haze season, i really have tried that before with the Samsung AX40 blowing directly at me sitting in front of the computer and AC is not switched on, during the afternoons no less. Coz try to save electricity also....the haze season started around early August and ended just before Nov. 1 pax in the bedroom, but note it's like 2 pax in the room coz the PC has a heat load of approx 100W.

Is not say cannot tahan but it's very hot overall. Being half naked would be nice and would help as well.

If i remember correctly, say external air quality is around 200-250 ug/m3 on the laser particle coounter which is moderately heavy haze, internally i can get it to around 50 ug/m3 on the meter. If close the door, hitting 10 ug/m3 is easy no issue.

But if anyone is reading this and wants to buy an AP but house does not have AC installed, you must be mentally prepared first.

Personally if i were to comment - i would not be able to get to sleep soundly for a couple of hours in such warm conditions. First hour or 2 maybe still ok.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 28-03-2019 at 07:49 PM..
Old 28-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #2805
Great Supremacy Member

or just this will do?

The very detailed posts and answers all just on 1 page ago......
kurtgoh likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.