Like Tree499Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #2836
Great Supremacy Member

Is Pro sufficient for living room?
Yep.........
Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #2837
Great Supremacy Member

Stachybotrys mold which is common in the FCU is really the worst as the symptoms are often severe. Mold often go undetected simply because customers cannot see it hidden deep in the unit and coil even if they go looking for it and even if it spreads to the visible parts it is often mistaken it for dust. The only easy way to detect mod is via the characteristic weird musty smell during turn on, but that already signifies that the mold infestation is quite serious.

While ozone, superheated steam, 185 or 254nm UV-C, chemicals like biocides, fungicides, benzalkonium chloride and other methods can kill mold and prevent it from reproducing, the dead mold spores can still effect health and trigger allergies as the allergenic substances are found on the outer shell, so it has to be physically removed and flushed away. What happens in a severe infestation is that layers accumulate and really takes pressure washing as a physical means to effectively remove it. If you are referring to allergy cases, it takes total removal to be considered a successful project. A very minute amount of it aerosolized can still trigger symptoms.

Anything less than 99% removal rate is considered to be mediocre in the effect of the end-user even in a small scale case in the home FCU simply because the air in the enclosed room is greatly recycled and so the levels build up gradually but consistently. Re-infestation also occurs rapidly in a humid environment of more than 60% humidity if there are nearby sources of mold spreading spores that are left untreated, unless if you can do cleaning very regularly with a maintenance routine of no longer than 4 weeks between cleanings. Of course this means good business for us.

We only hit it with the 10 bar 150 PSI high pressure dry steam cleaner and also with 20 bar 300 PSI compressed air in commercial settings that require it, especially in sensitive FnB and clinical settings with wall-mounted and cassettes where we would also pull in a 10 inch compressible exhuast duct with axial fan and exhaust it to the external environment just to be safe and cover our asses to put it crudely. Typically with AHUs, we hit it fast and hard with chemicals and the power washer which do the job more effectively and efficiently, unless the customer specifically requests for the dry steamer to be deployed.

N Thailand has been experiencing heavy haze and i have also been posting in their thaivisa forum haze threads and air purifiers/HEPA filtration, 3M filtrete and various electrostatic methods etc........ had the opportunity to correspond with a "farang" (ang moh) cleaning professional who owns a company that does cleaning jobs in Chiang Mai city area. He sounds to be quite high-end type.

It sounds like steam cleaning even at high pressure is still unable to totally remove mold, even though it might clean and disinfect the coil and blower and maybe even the back/internal sides of the FCU. Dead mold spores still presents a problem if not removed.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #2838
Great Supremacy Member

I went on to google more info........learnt something new today actually.

These are the commonly found molds that thrive in the home environment, of them cause respiratory health issues and some even more dire issues in the elderly, young and immunosuppressed.

Alternaria
Aspergillus
Aureobasidium
Chaetomium
Cladosporium
Fusarium
Penicillium
Stachybotrys Chartarum
Black mold or stachysbotrys chartarum is also called toxic mold. This is due to the fact that this type of mold creates toxic compounds known as mycotoxins. The compounds cause those that breathe the mold in to develop breathing issues, sinus infections, depression, fatigue, asthma attacks and more. This type of mold can be identified by its musty smell and is found in areas that stay damp, like air conditioning pipes and ducts.

Serpula Lacrymans
Trichoderma
Ulocladium

Not all produce mycotoxins. These are the species/types that produce mycotoxins.
Stachybotrys chartarum or more commonly known as toxic black mold that is commonly connected to Sick Building Syndrome due to it always being found in air-conditioning equipment
Aspergillus species
Penicillium species
Chaetomium globosum
Trichoderma species

The ang moh pro is correct. Mycotoxins are produced as secondary metabolites of some indoor molds while they thrive and reproduce. While most living mold spores themselves can cause the allergy as your immune system recognises them as foreign invaders and attacks them, mycotoxins are also one of the responsible allergens. Molds are generally not toxic themselves, but some are toxigenic, ie they produce mycotoxins as a secondary metabolite in a damp environment while living and reproducing.

While living or dormant mold spores can be inactivated by heat, mycotoxins are not destroyed by heat that are found in cleaning processes and thus only physical removal works. Not even at the smoking point of cooking oil at 200+ deg C. The stachybotrys chartarum black mold that is commonly found in always damp air-conditioning systems is such a toxigenic mold that produces mycotoxins.

http://www.fukushihoken.metro.tokyo..../kabidoqa.html
Old 15-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #2839
Great Supremacy Member

Any one has suggest how can keep place less dusty?

1. Close all concealment windows
2. use IQAir Inflow to extract O2 air from outside (+ pressure)
3. use another decent air filter to pollutant created from inside?
4. dehumidifiers set to 50%
5. 3-5 indoor plants per person
If you want to play with positive pressure, just go taobao and get some of their boxes. Pls don't use IQAir unless you are at least a 8 million Toto winner.

And even then, there would only be a slight drop in dust. Coz the dust is also quite often generated internally, and even with both postiive pressure + internal APs, the dust cannot be fully controlled as dust is quite heavy and falls onto surfaces relatively fast.
Old 16-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #2840
Great Supremacy Member

can give suggestion on Taobao boxes? Extract outside air mainly to get fresh air in since all windows closed. Don't know of any other AP that can extract and filter outside air.
There is.......

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=12#detail

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 16-04-2019 at 11:24 AM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #2841
Great Supremacy Member

Many other examples. Can use a plastic sheeting to cover up part of the window and cut your own intakes. Some velcros on your existing sliding windows and the plastic sheets. Wala! No need for a lot of serious DIY.

https://s.taobao.com/search?q=%E6%96...urceId=tb.item
Old 16-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #2842
Great Supremacy Member

Old 16-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #2843
Arch-Supremacy Member

just received the mi 2s
why the pm2.5 indicator always single digit but moi feels the room is slightly dusty
cuntzbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #2844
Great Supremacy Member

just received the mi 2s
why the pm2.5 indicator always single digit but moi feels the room is slightly dusty
Coz the dust is on the ground/furniture surfaces? Anyway dust is so much bigger also. Totally different things.
Old 17-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #2845
Arch-Supremacy Member

Coz the dust is on the ground/furniture surfaces? Anyway dust is so much bigger also. Totally different things.
Nighttime pm 2.5 becomes 20+-30+ .

Sent from Amazon using GAGT
cuntzbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #2846

Question

Over the past few weeks I have been researching air purifiers, my conclusion is that I plan to buy the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty from Amazon US (currently USD $162)

I understand the voltage and frequency difference between US and Singapore (US is 120V 60Hz, Singapore is 230V 50Hz.) Therefore, I will buy a transformer to step the voltage down (I plan to buy the LiteFuze LC-300UK 300Watt Step Up/Down Travel Voltage Converter from Amazon US, since this Air Purifier is rated at 77W, I guess that a 300W transformer should be more than enough)

However, after doing more research, I also found there could potentially be problems arising from the difference in Frequency (50Hz vs 60Hz) Some websites I looked at claim that frequency difference can cause motors/fans to spin at a different speed, which could potentially cause overheating and damage.

I understand that no one can 100% guarantee whether this setup will work, but is it likely to be “OK”, or is there a significant risk of the air purifier breaking?
ChanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #2847
Great Supremacy Member

Over the past few weeks I have been researching air purifiers, my conclusion is that I plan to buy the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty from Amazon US (currently USD $162)

I understand the voltage and frequency difference between US and Singapore (US is 120V 60Hz, Singapore is 230V 50Hz.) Therefore, I will buy a transformer to step the voltage down (I plan to buy the LiteFuze LC-300UK 300Watt Step Up/Down Travel Voltage Converter from Amazon US, since this Air Purifier is rated at 77W, I guess that a 300W transformer should be more than enough)

However, after doing more research, I also found there could potentially be problems arising from the difference in Frequency (50Hz vs 60Hz) Some websites I looked at claim that frequency difference can cause motors/fans to spin at a different speed, which could potentially cause overheating and damage.

I understand that no one can 100% guarantee whether this setup will work, but is it likely to be “OK”, or is there a significant risk of the air purifier breaking?
People have done it before in 2013 haze, Honeywell stuff.

It's more trouble than it's worth.

Shipping is usd 106 btw.
Old 24-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #2848

People have done it before in 2013 haze, Honeywell stuff.

It's more trouble than it's worth.

Shipping is usd 106 btw.
Thank you for your reply, and for the info. Actually, I am based in Hong Kong (voltage and frequency here in HK is exactly the same as Singapore.) I use a package forwarding service which charges HKD $24 (approx. USD $3) per pound of weight, since the weight of this air purifier is 18 pounds, the shipping fee will be approx. USD $55.

The cost of the Coway Mighty is currently USD $162, plus another USD $32 for the transformer. So the total cost of Air Purifier + transformer + shipping will be approx. USD $249.

If I decided to buy an air purifier locally here in HK, from my research it seems the best choice would probably be the Philips AC3259/31, which sells for HKD $3,900 (approx. USD $503.) Therefore, I would save approx. USD $250 by choosing the Coway Mighty.

Furthermore, from my research it seems the Coway Mighty is a better purifier, and my main goal is to get a high-quality purifier at the lowest possible price.

When you say “it’s more trouble than it’s worth”, do you mean there is a risk of malfunctioning/breaking due to the 50Hz / 60Hz frequency difference? Or are there also other potential problems I am not yet aware of?

Thanks again for your help with this!
Old 24-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #2849
Great Supremacy Member

Thank you for your reply, and for the info. Actually, I am based in Hong Kong (voltage and frequency here in HK is exactly the same as Singapore.) I use a package forwarding service which charges HKD $24 (approx. USD $3) per pound of weight, since the weight of this air purifier is 18 pounds, the shipping fee will be approx. USD $55.

The cost of the Coway Mighty is currently USD $162, plus another USD $32 for the transformer. So the total cost of Air Purifier + transformer + shipping will be approx. USD $249.

If I decided to buy an air purifier locally here in HK, from my research it seems the best choice would probably be the Philips AC3259/31, which sells for HKD $3,900 (approx. USD $503.) Therefore, I would save approx. USD $250 by choosing the Coway Mighty.

Furthermore, from my research it seems the Coway Mighty is a better purifier, and my main goal is to get a high-quality purifier at the lowest possible price.

When you say “it’s more trouble than it’s worth”, do you mean there is a risk of malfunctioning/breaking due to the 50Hz / 60Hz frequency difference? Or are there also other potential problems I am not yet aware of?

Thanks again for your help with this!
There were reports of devices popping due to the transformer malfunctioning. Not only APs but other devices as well, like water flossers. That HWZ 2013 Amazon thread is gone now. Coz Air purifiers can usually last fairly long, however once you introduce a voltage convertor which is basically a transformer type of device, you introduce another layer of unknown.

Anyway since you are in HK, just get a Xiaomi 2S or Xiaomi Pro. I reckon that the floor area is very precious, so perhaps a Xiaomi Pro is better.
One for each room. It's noisy in the higher fan speed settings, but then if you are not using this to counter allergies (thus needing at least 5 ACH/Air Changes per Hour) but rather to counter HK/Kowloon's AQI 100-149 air which probably happens somewhat regularly, then it should be more than sufficient.

I think a few years back it hit > AQI 200 for a day or 2 (purple on aqicn) due to some unseasonal winds coming from the north hence bringing somewhat smoggier air from the Greater Pearl River Delta down, but that's about it.

The Xiaomi 2S or Pro shd handle that kind of conditions no worries. Tried and tested in SG and CN and northern Thailand smog and haze (very popular there in N Thailand via Lazada thailand, coz there are very few other choices anyway even if price is not a factor). Actually if you are a HK citizen, you should have watched all the China Air Purifier reviews/tests on youtube or youku or what.

And besides, replacements are real easy and cheap. Just get it from TB, or i am sure HK retail has it, or from some HK online platform.

The Xiaomis would work as well as the Philips or Coway generally speaking, don't worry about it.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 24-04-2019 at 09:38 PM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #2850

There were reports of devices popping due to the transformer malfunctioning. Not only APs but other devices as well, like water flossers. That HWZ 2013 Amazon thread is gone now. Coz Air purifiers can usually last fairly long, however once you introduce a voltage convertor which is basically a transformer type of device, you introduce another layer of unknown.

Anyway since you are in HK, just get a Xiaomi 2S or Xiaomi Pro. I reckon that the floor area is very precious, so perhaps a Xiaomi Pro is better.
One for each room. It's noisy in the higher fan speed settings, but then if you are not using this to counter allergies (thus needing at least 5 ACH/Air Changes per Hour) but rather to counter HK/Kowloon's AQI 100-149 air which probably happens somewhat regularly, then it should be more than sufficient.

I think a few years back it hit > AQI 200 for a day or 2 (purple on aqicn) due to some unseasonal winds coming from the north hence bringing somewhat smoggier air from the Greater Pearl River Delta down, but that's about it.

The Xiaomi 2S or Pro shd handle that kind of conditions no worries. Tried and tested in SG and CN and northern Thailand smog and haze (very popular there in N Thailand via Lazada thailand, coz there are very few other choices anyway even if price is not a factor). Actually if you are a HK citizen, you should have watched all the China Air Purifier reviews/tests on youtube or youku or what.

And besides, replacements are real easy and cheap. Just get it from TB, or i am sure HK retail has it, or from some HK online platform.

The Xiaomis would work as well as the Philips or Coway generally speaking, don't worry about it.
Thank you very much for your detailed reply, this information is very useful. It makes sense there is a risk of the transformer malfunctioning, I think I will now probably abandon the idea of buying a 120V AP.

I am an expat living in Hong Kong, unfortunately my Chinese language ability is not that great so it can be difficult to understand Chinese reviews.

You are correct that Xiaomi 2S is available in HK retail, it is widely available locally for HKD $1,099 (approx. USD $140) which is obviously very cheap. Today I went to an electronics store to look at the Xiaomi 2S, I am happy with the price but have some concerns about the quality. Specifically, I am concerned about the quality of the HEPA filters, are they on a par with leading international brands such as Coway / Philips?

One other final option I am considering is buying the Blueair Blue Pure 221 from Germany. Since Germany uses the same Voltage/Frequency as HK/SG, there is no need to use a transformer. I have found an online retailer in Germany which sells this AP for EUR 316. They can deliver directly to HK for just EUR 35, so the total cost + delivery would be EUR 351, which is approx. USD $390.

From my research it seems the Blueair Blue Pure 221 is basically the 230V version of the Blueair Blue Pure 211, which is the highest ranked air purifier amongst all 36 reviewed and tested by US website Consumer Reports. Has anyone here ever used this AP?

Any thoughts on whether I should go for the Xiaomi or the Blueair?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.