HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air purifier? - Part 2

Like Tree499Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #2866
Master Member

No need spend thousand dollars on AP just to achieve a “better air quality” than outside. (In terms of lower PM2.5)

Any “decent” AP if u switch it on with your windows closed is achievable. (Depending on the size of your area to be “cleaned”)

Oh I am never concerned about single digit or double digit PMI. As long as the air quality from an average AP is much better than outside, I am happy enough. Can't be aiming for single digit and spending thousands of dollars on AP.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 on Rocket Uno with TPG Booster using GAGT

Last edited by Lucky177; 03-05-2019 at 11:47 PM..
Lucky177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #2867

Actually after reading all the last 10 pages, I am still unsure if I should get xiaomi Pro or air filter that has HEPA filter. Cos I buying it to clear the dustmite. My son has allergy to dustmite. I am so contemplating to buy xiaomi Pro with the antibacterial filter (purple). Other than xiaomi Pro, is there another worth buying air purifier with HEPA filter?
I am okay with xiaomi Pro if it really helps in clearing dustmite. I just need the assurance.

Last edited by airpurifer2012; 04-05-2019 at 08:30 AM..
airpurifer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #2868

Pardon me. As I really not a technical or hardware person. I really do not understand all the technical terms. I just hope my son is well.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #2869
Great Supremacy Member

Actually after reading all the last 10 pages, I am still unsure if I should get xiaomi Pro or air filter that has HEPA filter. Cos I buying it to clear the dustmite. My son has allergy to dustmite. I am so contemplating to buy xiaomi Pro with the antibacterial filter (purple). Other than xiaomi Pro, is there another worth buying air purifier with HEPA filter?
I am okay with xiaomi Pro if it really helps in clearing dustmite. I just need the assurance.
Pardon me. As I really not a technical or hardware person. I really do not understand all the technical terms. I just hope my son is well.

No worries, i am/was in a similar situation. My father, me, kids all also allergic, hereditary one.

I managed to break the code. 2 main issues, dust mite droppings and mold. It could be both, it could be either one. You can't be too careful, just get rid of both coz they are sort of inter-related in terms of sources.

Dust mite droppings : sources are bedsheets, pillow cases, bolster that the kids put on their faces. Got dust mites = got dust mite droppings.

Dust mite droppings range from 10-40 microns in size according to google. So they are able to be suspended in the air should the sheets/pillows be roused, eg when you twist and turn during sleep etc, in the aircon room. Or before bedtime when you have activities in bed. But still, main source is still going to be from the mentioned soft surfaces. Anti dustmite stuff for the above mentioned are going to be key as they do not let dust mite burrow deep into the mattress depths and they also keep those already in the stuff deep in from coming out. A reduced population is always welcomed.
So for this an Air Purifier would help, but key is really getting the sheets dustmite proof.

Your aircon FCU would also be a good storage magnet for mold and dust mites (probably mostly dead liao) and their droppings. Confirm harbour a lot of the bad stuff.

For this, the air purifier(s) is a good way to keep the allergens in check, coz the only way for the aircon FCU to get these allergens to your kid would be via the air route. What you need is air filtration that is > 5 ACH or Air Change per Hour.

Take a typical BTO MBR, 3.8 x 4.5m x 2.8m = 48 m3. Subtract away 20% for the bed and cupboard etc, that'd be 38 m3. So you'd be aiming to have an air purifier that is able to do 38 x 5 = round up is 200 m3/hr whole night round while the AC is running, at a noise level that you still can sleep at.

If you are somewhat of a light sleeper, that probably means that a single Xiaomi 2S or Pro is insufficient. 2 units would be nice though.
In some cases, 5 ACH might not be sufficient, you might push need to push it closer to 8 ACH, or even 10 ACH. It really depends on your individual's case.

If you are DIY handy enough, try to DIY clean your aircon FCU. Removal of source is always welcome. I am using a pressure washer with variable pressure and 360 nozzle that offers flexibility....but i do agree that some of us are pretty hardcore in the washng. For the average pax, a 12V car wash type of pump and a 90 deg hand wand also works.....cheap also. Clean with your window/glass washer or AJAX/Magiclean floor cleaner, will work one, i and other pax have tried before.

Details all here.......read the thread backwards, better :
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...91470-208.html

If cannot DIY, you'd be aiming to get the professionals to come in to chemical wash your FCUs at least 4X a year, preferably 6-8X if you are on the slightly OCD side. So yes, it would cost. But ask them to chemical wash with pH netural evaporative coil cleaners, NOT the alkaline coil cleaners as the alkaline ones would corrode your coil with such a high freq washing.

Not going to be easy. Allergies are like that. That time my kids having chronic uticaria also........ i mean can't be always hitting them with antihistamines constantly also (the meds response also goes down after you use for an extended period).

Happy reading.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...91470-208.html

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 04-05-2019 at 07:06 PM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #2870
Great Supremacy Member

Oh....forgot to mention, the Xiaomis and all these tiong air purifiers and filters are able to take care of the dustmite droppings and mold, and haze. Zero issue.

But of coz if you are rich and have no qualms got budget to spend 10-20k on IQAir, then that's your personal choice as well.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 05-05-2019 at 11:38 AM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #2871

You're right. Ytd I just checked my air con, it has molds dust. The last servicing was done 6 mths ago. I will get the professionals to help. Next time I will try to DIY. I went to order xiaomi Pro just for my room. Hope it improves my son's health. Thank you so much for the valuable info and your patience to explain so much things.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #2872
Great Supremacy Member

You're right. Ytd I just checked my air con, it has molds dust. The last servicing was done 6 mths ago. I will get the professionals to help. Next time I will try to DIY. I went to order xiaomi Pro just for my room. Hope it improves my son's health. Thank you so much for the valuable info and your patience to explain so much things.
Yes, those fluffy stuff are actually mold colonies. Not dust, in fact a small amount of it is only dust.

The Xiaomi Pro would be a good stop-gap solution, actually it's good enough to be a permanent solution (as long as you get enough airflow ACH, air change per hour) going. But of coz, as far as possible, we go after the root cause. (one of the root causes in this case)

Coz the mold spores released from the FCU is not high. But it's there. Low-level chronic release......

A 6 mth servicing regime sounds like it's more than good enough. Unfortunately, it isn't. And i'm talking about chemical wash kind of cleaning.....with evaporator coil cleaner that's safe for the aluminum evaporator coils, not alkaline coil cleaner of coz as that'd corrode the fins when washed at such a high frequency.

Can totally forget about those $20-30 general servicing cleanings. Waste time waste money waste your annual leave waiting for the AC techs to come nia.

Side story : Just check your bathroom tiles and walls, 6 month, how much mold do you reckon would have grown on it?

Do you wash/scrub/pressure washer your bathroom tiles for mold once every 6 mths?

For those who only services 12 months once, do you wash/scrub your bathroom once every 12 months?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #2873
Great Supremacy Member

Oh yeah, whenever you initially switch on your AC and for the first 5 mins or so you have that wierd wierd smell, and after that the smell disappears as the evaporator coil gets colder.

That's mold alright.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #2874

Xiaomi Pro vs Max, anyone can do a technical real world comparison? (noise, CADR, recurring cost, etc)

Also, I was just thinking if you guys got an AP only because of potential haze period or for daily normal use (which I couldn't justify given sg's relatively clean air)?
downtown2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #2875

BTW, has anyone tried measuring the energy/cost saving between DRY and COOL mode? My wall socket watt meter can't connect to condenser outdoor isolator.
downtown2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #2876
Master Member

Max uses different type of filter. I don’t think is easily available locally at this moment yet.

Pro gen1 gen2 etc all uses same cylinder type of filters. Interchangeable.

I switch on my pro daily at night. I prefer to sleep with single digit PM2.5 air

Xiaomi Pro vs Max, anyone can do a technical real world comparison? (noise, CADR, recurring cost, etc)

Also, I was just thinking if you guys got an AP only because of potential haze period or for daily normal use (which I couldn't justify given sg's relatively clean air)?
Lucky177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #2877
Great Supremacy Member

Bro, fancy seeing you here too, in addition to the DIY aircon cleaning thread.

The AP is an additional guarantee as a filtration of any mold particles from the aircon FCU, even if you are cleaning the FCU nicely. Coz "nicely" is very subjective, it might not be clean enough.

The best scenario is clean FCU (which would also be very efficient, that itself is good, and the aircon would likely give trouble free operation for > 10 years no issue at all), and also you have an AP for filtration.

That's for daily use. And of coz during haze periods, it will have the additional duty of filtering haze particles.

Else you are correct, generally for SG air, there is no need for an AP. However, we are not talking about SG air if you do have an AC in operation, that'd be indoor air, ie indoor air quality.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #2878
Great Supremacy Member

BTW, has anyone tried measuring the energy/cost saving between DRY and COOL mode? My wall socket watt meter can't connect to condenser outdoor isolator.
No real difference one lah......once you get it to below 27 deg C.

You go play with the heat index calculator yourself.
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

Just set it to cool mode.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #2879
Supremacy Member

Hi

Intending to buy a air purifier for my bedroom. Was looking at these 3 models.
May i know if anyone has experience and able to advise which is a better model in terms of performance and quietness?

Novita nap 606
Phillips ac2882
Phillips ac2887

Thank you
Presto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #2880

Hi,

I have 2 samsung ax40h5000gmd purifiers. I realised that it's frequently showing the red warning lights when I operate it with windows opened, although there's no haze. Is this normal? Even in aircon condition, sometimes also got red warning. I already changed a new filter but it still happens.

Or is it my place very dusty? Tried to interchange the living room one with the bedroom one but also same results...
quarkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.