HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air purifier? - Part 2

Like Tree499Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #2881
Great Supremacy Member

Hi,

I have 2 samsung ax40h5000gmd purifiers. I realised that it's frequently showing the red warning lights when I operate it with windows opened, although there's no haze. Is this normal? Even in aircon condition, sometimes also got red warning. I already changed a new filter but it still happens.

Or is it my place very dusty? Tried to interchange the living room one with the bedroom one but also same results...
It's the smell.

One unit of mine occassionally does that, but goes back to light blue very fast.

Another unit goes to red bo dai bi ji, and stays there for several hours.

Check if someone in the room has just farted or something, also.

Anyway, dont rely too much on the sensors ba.......
Old 01-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #2882

Thumbs up

(1) The prefilter can be cleaned by vacuuming. I am sure you have cleaned your aircon prefilters with vacuum before. Very little difference vs washing, in the context of the air purifier.
I have a Mfresh M8088A that has a filter construction that is the same as the Xiaomi (ie cylindrical filter with prefilter built into the cylindrical filter, just that the Mfresh is a bigger filter. I also vacuum my Sharp and Samsung AP prefilters, though sometimes i do wash that.

(2) Yes, if that ever happens, just set timed programs. Seems like Lucky177 does not get it with his XM Pro.
Thank you again for your detailed replies back in April.

A month ago, I almost bought the Xiaomi 2S, then work suddenly became very busy during the past few weeks.

Today I decided to try to download the instruction manual for the Xiaomi 2S, but I couldn't find it anywhere online (I searched for both English and Chinese version, but couldn't find either!).

Specifically, I realized there is another point I am concerned about: Ionizer and Ozone production. Most APs (including the Coway Mighty) have an Ionizer function, and a button which enables the Ionizer to be turned On or Off. Most people recommend to always leave the Ionizer off (due to Ozone production)

Can anyone confirm whether the Xiaomi 2S has an Ionizer, and if so, is it possible to turn it off?

Thank you very much for your help answering this!
ChanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #2883
Master Member

As far as I know, Xiaomi AP do not have ionizer function. They are not ionizers. At least not for Gen1, Gen2 and the Pro.

I do not have 2S, but should be same.

A month ago, I almost bought the Xiaomi 2S, then work suddenly became very busy during the past few weeks.

Today I decided to try to download the instruction manual for the Xiaomi 2S, but I couldn't find it anywhere online (I searched for both English and Chinese version, but couldn't find either!).

Specifically, I realized there is another point I am concerned about: Ionizer and Ozone production. Most APs (including the Coway Mighty) have an Ionizer function, and a button which enables the Ionizer to be turned On or Off. Most people recommend to always leave the Ionizer off (due to Ozone production)

Can anyone confirm whether the Xiaomi 2S has an Ionizer, and if so, is it possible to turn it off?

Lucky177 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #2884
Great Supremacy Member

Yep, Lucky177 said it, no ionizer on the Xiaomi. From what i read on the reviews, there are no ionizer.

Anyway, some APs with ionizers would produce appreciable ozone.

But some APs with ionizers do not produce ozone (or produces ozone at ultra minute amounts far below the threshold where it produces health issues).
An eg would be Sharp Plasmacluster.
Can just google if you are interested in these small details, there were tests done before.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #2885

Thank you again for your replies, that is good to hear there is no Ionizer on the Xiaomi.

On a slightly different topic, going back to the discussion we had back in April about buying an AP from US (120v model) and using a Voltage Transformer, there are concerns about the transformer malfunctioning, which could destroy the AP.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a more "reliable" brand of Voltage Transformer, which is less likely to malfunction?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #2886
Master Member

mi air purifier 2s or pro better?

i see most people buying 2s....is it because it is quieter?
wongminmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #2887
Master Member

I think because is cheaper and if is for small bedroom, 2s is sufficient.

Pro is bigger. Higher CADR.

wongminmin likes this.
Lucky177 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #2888
Supremacy Member

enough for bedroom.

Pro more for bigger space and if you have budget for the higher CADR
wongminmin likes this.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #2889
Supremacy Member

Folks, my Philips air purifier using AC4143 and AC4144 -

https://www.philips.com.sg/shop/hous...er/p/AC4144_00

https://www.philips.com.sg/shop/hous...er/p/AC4143_00

Any cheaper alternatives? Originals damn exp
lmf2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #2890

Since I asked so many questions previously, thought I would give you guys a quick update regarding what I went with in the end.

Remember I was originally considering buying the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty from Amazon US?

Last weekend I was searching around on Taobao China and noticed there is a Coway China shop (coway电器旗舰店). I saw they have a model COWAY AP-1515H which usually sells for ¥3,880, but is currently on sale for just ¥899.

After searching around on Amazon US I noticed this exact same model (COWAY AP-1515H) is known as Coway Airmega 300 in the US (I downloaded the instruction manual to confirm it is the same model), and currently retails for around USD $470 on Amazon US. I spent a couple of hours digging around looking at reviews online and watching reviews on YouTube, it seems that this model is highly regarded in US as a "high end" AP, hence the rather expensive price.

Since I am not very happy about the idea of buying AP filters from Mainland China, I decided to buy this AP from Taobao China and in future buy replacement filters from Amazon US.

This way I also:
1) Solve the voltage problem (the Taobao China model is 220V 50Hz, which is the same as HK and Singapore, therefore no need for voltage transformer)
2) Buy this "high end" AP at approx. 1/4 of US price

Sounds too good to be true right? This new AP just arrived with me today, it seems to be working very well. The air in my apartment seems to be much cleaner and purer now. However, since this is my first time to ever use an AP, I don’t really have anything to compare it against.
Old 19-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #2891

I know opening the window will greatly reduce the performance of the air purifier, but has anyone tried opening at least 1 window when running the purifier? What is the performance? I am looking at Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s for my small bedroom.
x_men_naruto96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #2892
Supremacy Member

I know opening the window will greatly reduce the performance of the air purifier, but has anyone tried opening at least 1 window when running the purifier? What is the performance? I am looking at Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s for my small bedroom.
normal. it can handle just fine.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #2893
Great Supremacy Member

Since I asked so many questions previously, thought I would give you guys a quick update regarding what I went with in the end.

Remember I was originally considering buying the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty from Amazon US?

Last weekend I was searching around on Taobao China and noticed there is a Coway China shop (coway电器旗舰店). I saw they have a model COWAY AP-1515H which usually sells for ¥3,880, but is currently on sale for just ¥899.

After searching around on Amazon US I noticed this exact same model (COWAY AP-1515H) is known as Coway Airmega 300 in the US (I downloaded the instruction manual to confirm it is the same model), and currently retails for around USD $470 on Amazon US. I spent a couple of hours digging around looking at reviews online and watching reviews on YouTube, it seems that this model is highly regarded in US as a "high end" AP, hence the rather expensive price.

Since I am not very happy about the idea of buying AP filters from Mainland China, I decided to buy this AP from Taobao China and in future buy replacement filters from Amazon US.

This way I also:
1) Solve the voltage problem (the Taobao China model is 220V 50Hz, which is the same as HK and Singapore, therefore no need for voltage transformer)
2) Buy this "high end" AP at approx. 1/4 of US price

Sounds too good to be true right? This new AP just arrived with me today, it seems to be working very well. The air in my apartment seems to be much cleaner and purer now. However, since this is my first time to ever use an AP, I don’t really have anything to compare it against.

Hey, that model is really not too bad. Even after the TB 618 discounts, now it's still at 999. Not too bad.

COWAY AP-1515H

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?sp...=3781888515981

It uses 2 rectangular type filters, so actually for those who have used generic China HEPA before, can use this as well if you find the originals to be too expensive (with a slight drop in performance, but that's ok since there is so much "buffer" @ 459 m3/hr CADR)

2 x filters = more surface area, higher capable CADR from the China generic HEPAs.

Old 20-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #2894
Great Supremacy Member

A pair of original filters are rmb 464 from TB. Each side has a combi of GAC + HEPA.

But seriously, even with 2 filters, the CADR for formaldehyde is a wee bit below 100 m3/hr. So for those in Punggol, it might not be enough during the worst months.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?sp...a0&abbucket=15

Old 20-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #2895
Great Supremacy Member

Folks, my Philips air purifier using AC4143 and AC4144 -

https://www.philips.com.sg/shop/hous...er/p/AC4144_00

https://www.philips.com.sg/shop/hous...er/p/AC4143_00

Any cheaper alternatives? Originals damn exp
Just buy the generics from China via TB, get bigger ones and then cut it up to size. Plug the sides with the bubble wrapping that comes with the filter....roll it up etc. 25mm depth is ok. Search my posts on "how well does it work", all the measurements are there.

CADR would suffer a bit, but who cares if you already have enough buffer in performance. If you need more, then get 1 more AP (cheap one).

When you are looking at years of operation, it does add up. Been using APs since 2008. It really does add up, trust me. My workhorse Sharp KC-840E is still kicking, no wierd noises from the brushless DC motor etc.

1 AP is still ok. 2 APs still doable.
But ask those with multiple APs in 2015, after the haze season all the filters gotta change due to the heavy smell after the dense haze. I had to change filters for all 9 APs, both mine and my parents. (esp since my kids do go there to stay for a few days in a week)
If 1 set = $100, then that'd be $900.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 20-06-2019 at 08:38 PM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.