HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air purifier? - Part 2

Like Tree510Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #2911
Supremacy Member

I don't have any symptoms as you described. Does it happen only when you stay in bedroom?
Yes. but better and less smelly now though still have abit smell. maybe need take some time to get rid of that smell.
Tony_Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #2912
Great Supremacy Member

previously i shortlisted xiaomi and novita

end up bought novita cos xiaomi never state anything about their filter being true hepa

imo that is my number 1 concern, no true hepa = as good as no air filter
dnsfpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #2913
Supremacy Member

end up bought novita cos xiaomi never state anything about their filter being true hepa

i considered novita in first place too. which model you bought? nap822?
Old 24-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #2914
Supremacy Member

for xiaomi 2s users,

since i used xiaomi 2s at my bedroom yesterday, the smell is like weird (different smell from without xiaomi 2s) and i started to have abit slight lack of breath. so i opened the windows.

now i still have little lack of breath and my right chest muscle moves itself. anyone has issue?
which filter you using?
Old 24-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #2915
Supremacy Member

which filter you using?
default blue one. it's inside the xiaomi 2s already before i opened package. i have purple filter too.
Old 24-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #2916
Master Member

https://www.mi.com/global/air/filter/

Only indicate H11-grade on pic.
Lucky177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #2917

Hi all, does anyone has ap recommendation for bedroom prone to mildew? despite best effort to keep my room clean sometimes my stuff tend to get mildew when kept for too long. Have already stocked up on thirsty hippo, thinking of getting ap if it can help
vegathestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #2918
Great Supremacy Member

All these H11, H10, TB generics have been tested before by quite a few folks here. They do just fine with indonesian haze or even cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke in particular has nothing above 0.6/0.7 microns (the chinese laser particle counter modules react to cigarette smoke just fine, sensitive enough). The usual indon, malaysian haze is no issue, though chemical pollution is another matter of course (pls see previous pages).

The numbers that you really should look out for is replacement filter cost (esp if you are doing multiple units due to kids/elderly), noise/wattage, CADR. The filter cost is recurrent and do add up over time costing a few times more than the unit.
eg the air purifier units are just a one-time cost, but I'd also be spending over 1k on branded replacement filters annually in total. And i have been using APs since 2007.

Of course, if you are a successful pax earning 5-6 figures monthly, then no worries disregard my posts then.

Repost......

Below shows some March haze measurements, that time you know, pax were kpkb very smelly etc. Punggol smells (though i am living at South Part of the island)
Note, do not compare this with NEA figs.....it is what it is, bloody long story fit for another thread.

What you really want is the Air Purifier's CADR figure. This depends on the airflow and filtration efficiency. Give an extreme example, a China H11 HEPA that is only 90% effective but in a big AP that guns over 1000 m3/hr. Vs a H13 "True" HEPA 99.97% but doing only 200 m3h/hr. The former would eat the latter for breakfast.
The latter H13 AP would need to be doing comfortably over 900m3/hr in order to be equal/surpass the China H11 filter.

Note, the below is dealing with real haze. And the meter has been tested by me to be sensitive and to cigarette smoke before, which is a source that has a predominant particle size distribution as shown below.

All China H11 HEPA (measured to be 92%), except for the Mfresh M8088A which is true H12 HEPA (it's 99% thereabouts).

3 APs in the room. Mfresh M8088A actually is in lowest fan speed, coz i don't wanna load it too much. Most of the cleaning is done by the Samsung AX40 and Sharp KC-840 with China DIY HEPA, cut in size + sides stuffed with bubble wrap for sealing.

GPGT, proof that it works.
Few days ago Singapore haze.

Sudden transient peak @ 40k+ counts @ 0.5 microns

MBR (420 counts @ 0.5)

Mfresh M8088A H12, only 10 counts @ 0.5 microns lowest reading

Sharp KC-840 China DIY H11. Samsung AX40 is similar. 20 counts @ 0.5 microns lowest reading

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 31-07-2019 at 10:09 AM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #2919
Great Supremacy Member

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 30-07-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Old 31-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #2920
Great Supremacy Member

Hi all, does anyone has ap recommendation for bedroom prone to mildew? despite best effort to keep my room clean sometimes my stuff tend to get mildew when kept for too long. Have already stocked up on thirsty hippo, thinking of getting ap if it can help

The best and most feasible control is having good ventilation in your room, esp during the afternoons when the RH% dips. So if your room/unit does not enjoy "good wind", then you'd need to install a fan. Of coz then you'd also need to clean the fan blades and casing every month or so.

Normal AP filtration no use one lah. Even if you use 3 air purifiers in the room, mold would still grow inside the AC right? (that's my setup in the MBR anyway which has the most number of APs)

So practically it still cannot suppress the growth of mold by filtering out all the spores. Coz i think a few spores still do manage to get around before being caught by the AP filter. The spores are relatively big, from 1 to a few tens of microns.

Now, if your room is built by drawing in external air and being filtered first before exhausting into the room, ie positive pressure and the operation is 24/7, then perhaps it would be possible.
There are several semi-DIY boxes/fan filter units with filters that you can get on Taobao, with hoses and window adaptations and all.
Might be a bit difficult to do in small BTO bedrooms though, heck anything other than a Xiaomi 2S is somewhat difficult in a BTO type bedroom.

Below video partially shows you the effect. But note, below also shows laminar airflow, which is not exactly and totally possible in your house.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=12#detail

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 31-07-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Old 31-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #2921
Master Member

A pic says a thousand words. Won’t say not true hepa = no filter.

Also tested whether “clean” air out using PM2.5 detector previously, compared with my other non Xiaomi brand AP to see if any much difference before I’m convinced and switched all over to XiaoMi Pro.

Not because they are no good, or XiaoMi is better ... but purely because those original filters of my previous non XiaoMi APs are relatively too expensive locally. Not practical for my situation. At least XiaoMi Pro is good enough for my family.

My XiaoMi AP filter despite left 37%👇

Last edited by Lucky177; 31-07-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #2922

Wah!
How long have you used that filter?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #2923
Master Member

Less than 1/2 year, if I not wrong. Exactly how many months cannot remember.

Wah!
How long have you used that filter?

Last edited by Lucky177; 01-08-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #2924

A pic says a thousand words. Won’t say not true hepa = no filter.

Also tested whether “clean” air out using PM2.5 detector previously, compared with my other non Xiaomi brand AP to see if any much difference before I’m convinced and switched all over to XiaoMi Pro.

Not because they are no good, or XiaoMi is better ... but purely because those original filters of my previous non XiaoMi APs are relatively too expensive locally. Not practical for my situation. At least XiaoMi Pro is good enough for my family.

My XiaoMi AP filter despite left 37%�

Xiaomi filter cheap?
kenplicity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #2925
Master Member

Comparatively cheaper if buy from eg qoo10 during promo, with cart coupons and Qpoints, ShopBack cashback and 2% gift card etc. (Assuming compare “locally” ) and main thing is yet still powerful enough for my situation to clean the surrounding air.

Disclaimer: I’m just comparing with those non XiaoMi APs I had been using in the past before I decided to change. One of them is Honeywell.

Xiaomi filter cheap?

Last edited by Lucky177; 01-08-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.