HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Changing HDB kitchen 13A socket to 15A

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
Supremacy Member

can check with schneider electric singapore on the types of sockets they have. all q nice + got added measures for child safety
???? is it good?
Old 30-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #17

can check with schneider electric singapore on the types of sockets they have. all q nice + got added measures for child safety
Do you have a link to their site which shows the list of sockets they have? I only found this (link) which doesn't really have that much in the way of 15A sockets.

In any case the thread is old and my oven has been happily plugged into the 15A socket for nearly two years without issue. It was the right move to upgrade the socket as my experience with a Philips 2.2kW vacuum cleaner has shown - when using the vacuum cleaner at about level 2 or 3 (out of a max. of 5) for an almost-constant period of about 45 minutes, the heat generated at the plug is amazing. The metal contacts are too hot to touch directly. If that's just what a 2.2kW vacuum cleaner can do to a regular 13A socket, I'd be very concerned about a 3.7kW oven plugged into anything similar.
Quantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #18

Do you have a link to their site which shows the list of sockets they have? I only found this (link) which doesn't really have that much in the way of 15A sockets.

In any case the thread is old and my oven has been happily plugged into the 15A socket for nearly two years without issue. It was the right move to upgrade the socket as my experience with a Philips 2.2kW vacuum cleaner has shown - when using the vacuum cleaner at about level 2 or 3 (out of a max. of 5) for an almost-constant period of about 45 minutes, the heat generated at the plug is amazing. The metal contacts are too hot to touch directly. If that's just what a 2.2kW vacuum cleaner can do to a regular 13A socket, I'd be very concerned about a 3.7kW oven plugged into anything similar.
3.7Kw oven need a 20A socket plug plus 20A circuit breaker. Important thing is to make sure the wire is also at correct rating.

When using 2.2Kw vacuum cleaning and feel the plug is hot. Something is wrong with the socket. Better change then sorry latter.

Formula to calculate is Kw/230v and add 20% for safety margin.
limpingsim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #19

A 15A outlet needs to have those plug with round pins, not your typical square pins. Get a EMA-certified electrician and he should know the wiring and installation standards required as mandated by EMA. In the event of fire or claims, insurer will look at your electrical loading, wiring and plug used. Play safe.

Last edited by mozzilla; 28-08-2019 at 11:23 AM..
mozzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #20

schneider electric does sell 15A sockets unless your electrician has other recommendations
15A is not enough for heater related appliances tgat is 3Kw or higher.

Last edited by limpingsim98; 01-09-2019 at 11:28 PM..
limpingsim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #21

Hi guys. Came across this thread and was wondering if it works for Dryers as well.

I bought a used Kuche Dryer and have it plugged in my spare room as my service balcony is tiny. It keeps tripping my circuit breaker when it gets to med-high heat. It works fine when temp is set to low though.

And whenever it trips the breakers, the "live" point feels quite hot. Is it because the socket is underpowered?

The dryer is rated for Max output of 2000W,220-240V though.

Should I move the dryer to the kitchen/service balcony area ? I'm not technically versed in electrical works though. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
the_broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

Such dryers have high consumption, it has to be plug to a dedicated 13A socket. That is the wires cannot be shared with other device that will add up to the total power per circuit breaker. Many double sockets share a single 13A, and will trip the breaker when both sockets draw more than 13A.
A 2000W dryer should not trip the breaker unless it malfunctioned, else you can try plugging it at the kitchen socket.
Alphas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #23

Such dryers have high consumption, it has to be plug to a dedicated 13A socket. That is the wires cannot be shared with other device that will add up to the total power per circuit breaker. Many double sockets share a single 13A, and will trip the breaker when both sockets draw more than 13A.
A 2000W dryer should not trip the breaker unless it malfunctioned, else you can try plugging it at the kitchen socket.
Alright. The current outlet is a double gang outlet. Will move it and try again. Not expecting much since it's a used dryer. Was wondering whether to call an electrician or fix the dryer. Thank you.
the_broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.