HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Convert RJ11 to RJ45 LAN point or Add LAN point?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alpc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

Convert RJ11 to RJ45 LAN point or Add LAN point?

As above - is it cheaper to convert the tel point to data point or simply add a new lan point? can the former simply be achieved with an adapter or need to take out the additional socket and replace with a new one? any video guide will be great.

diagram as shown by hdb below:

turboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Master Member

the faceplate is rj11. new homes use cat5 or cat5e cables for the rj11 terminals. to convert to rj45, the faceplate and keystone will have to be changed. you can diy.

at the block terminal, make sure terminate at your desired router which will be connected to fibre gateway.
nakitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

My place, although they say it's RJ-11, when we checked, it was already RJ-45 with data point keystone done at all the "tel" ports. So I only had to convert the cabling in the block terminal into Rj-45 and the data port panel. For some of my neighbours they don't know how to do it, so they contacted one guy and he gave our development one rate to convert all and to check that the keystone is done properly at the ports in the individual rooms.

So I think you should check before deciding on what you want to. I did get my electrician to add in 1 more data point at LR and 1 data point at corridor for my AP.
nakitaro likes this.
alpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #4

As above - is it cheaper to convert the tel point to data point or simply add a new lan point? can the former simply be achieved with an adapter or need to take out the additional socket and replace with a new one? any video guide will be great.

diagram as shown by hdb below:

I converted my 3 rooms' tel line to Lan, the price is pretty standard, from $80-$100.
redsuns86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #5

My place, although they say it's RJ-11, when we checked, it was already RJ-45 with data point keystone done at all the "tel" ports. So I only had to convert the cabling in the block terminal into Rj-45 and the data port panel. For some of my neighbours they don't know how to do it, so they contacted one guy and he gave our development one rate to convert all and to check that the keystone is done properly at the ports in the individual rooms.

So I think you should check before deciding on what you want to. I did get my electrician to add in 1 more data point at LR and 1 data point at corridor for my AP.
when you say it's already RJ45, do you mean the connection point is already RJ45 or? cos based on the faceplate in my rooms, it is all RJ11.

What is "keystone" and is there any youtube video I can refer to for DIY? doesn't sound too difficult to me..
Old 30-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

just curious - did you wall mount your router? I was thinking to do a ceiling mount for my router at the main corridor for max connectivity but never saw anyone do it before.
Old 30-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
Master Member

how come yours came with rj45 port so good. tsk. whr your new home? basically, rj45 port means u still can connect with rj11 cable.
Old 31-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

how come yours came with rj45 port so good. tsk. whr your new home? basically, rj45 port means u still can connect with rj11 cable.
U cant connect rj11 cable to rj45 port.
Most of the new flats use ethernet cables to connect rj11 ports, which makes it possible to convert to a rj45 port instead by simply changing e socket.

Do take note of the existing cable is rj45 type cat 5e or cat6, which in turn affect yr choice of using a cat5e or cat6 socket.
fitzz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
Master Member

U cant connect rj11 cable to rj45 port.
Most of the new flats use ethernet cables to connect rj11 ports, which makes it possible to convert to a rj45 port instead by simply changing e socket.

Do take note of the existing cable is rj45 type cat 5e or cat6, which in turn affect yr choice of using a cat5e or cat6 socket.
eh.. i think you misunderstood my point alrdy. if faceplate is rj45, what's stopping you from connecting both ends with rj11? unless its a cross.

in case this confuse anybody here, i'll clarify again. rj11 male connector can plug into a rj45 port. on the other end, plug another rj11 and terminate at your fibre gateway telephone port.

fibre gateway <- rj11 cable -> rj45 keystone (if u decide the block terminal to use rj45 keystone) <- cat5/e cabling by hdb -> faceplate with rj45 keystone <- rj11 cable -> telephone for example

if we have a rj11 faceplate, it means we wont be able to connect a rj45 cable. but with rj45 faceplate, we can connect either.

Last edited by nakitaro; 31-10-2017 at 11:32 PM..
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

just curious - did you wall mount your router? I was thinking to do a ceiling mount for my router at the main corridor for max connectivity but never saw anyone do it before.
Nope. My router is in the db box. I put a unifi AC LR at the corridor for AP because the router's wifi cannot reach mbr.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #11

No idea, but it was bonus for us, since we missed only by a bit - my BTO was announced Nov 12; the announcement for Ethernet for all is in Mar 13. So we just change at the db box and done. Tested all ports and they are working fine.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

eh.. i think you misunderstood my point alrdy. if faceplate is rj45, what's stopping you from connecting both ends with rj11? unless its a cross.

in case this confuse anybody here, i'll clarify again. rj11 male connector can plug into a rj45 port. on the other end, plug another rj11 and terminate at your fibre gateway telephone port.

fibre gateway <- rj11 cable -> rj45 keystone (if u decide the block terminal to use rj45 keystone) <- cat5/e cabling by hdb -> faceplate with rj45 keystone <- rj11 cable -> telephone for example

if we have a rj11 faceplate, it means we wont be able to connect a rj45 cable. but with rj45 faceplate, we can connect either.
I have yet to try with rj11 for the telephone. My db box area not packed nicely since my cat6 cables are not yet terminated. I am still using cat5e cables for the moment for some ports. I also need to add in another switch because SH decided not to give ONR like ST does.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
Master Member

I have yet to try with rj11 for the telephone. My db box area not packed nicely since my cat6 cables are not yet terminated. I am still using cat5e cables for the moment for some ports. I also need to add in another switch because SH decided not to give ONR like ST does.
btw, ur db is it in a cabinet like space with a wall on its side?

have u tried to drill a hole at its top and mount on that wall instead for your router? switch will be inside with the db.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.