HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Cylinder gas vs piped gas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Cylinder gas vs piped gas

Hi guys,

I need some advise with regards to using piped gas (City Gas) or cylinder gas.

Moved into my resale flat earlier this year.

Understand that the previous owner has been using cylinder gas for cooking all the while. When we asked him the last time if piped gas were available he mentioned yes.

Since we moved in a couple of months back, we have been using the steamboat induction cooker for our cooking. As the cooker hood looks kinda old, I was thinking of changing it and was looking at cooker hob and hood package.

Got the CityGas guy down today and he checked and mentioned that the piped gas connection is not done to the kitchen and it would not be feasible to do it now as the built in cabinets are all there.

Hence, he suggested using the cylinder gas instead.

My main concern is gas leak when using cylinder gas as the gas cylinders are physically in the house.

Would appreciate if you could share your personal experience on using gas cylinders.

Also, now I guess I have only the following options :

1. Use Gas Cylinders
2.Install Induction cooker aka electric stove (quite expensive in my opinion)
3. Remove the existing cooker hob and continue cooking with my small portable induction cooker. (PREFERRED Option)

Reason why I wanna remove the existing hob is cos currently I can only put the the induction cooker on a small available space on the existing hob as the rest of the parts are taken up by the stoves.

I also like to know if i were to remove the existing hob, where can i purchase / customise a wood (or any suitable material board) to cover the gap after removing the cooker hob.

Thank you for all good advise
bbqbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #2

Hi guys,

I need some advise with regards to using piped gas (City Gas) or cylinder gas.

Moved into my resale flat earlier this year.

Understand that the previous owner has been using cylinder gas for cooking all the while. When we asked him the last time if piped gas were available he mentioned yes.

Since we moved in a couple of months back, we have been using the steamboat induction cooker for our cooking. As the cooker hood looks kinda old, I was thinking of changing it and was looking at cooker hob and hood package.

Got the CityGas guy down today and he checked and mentioned that the piped gas connection is not done to the kitchen and it would not be feasible to do it now as the built in cabinets are all there.

Hence, he suggested using the cylinder gas instead.

My main concern is gas leak when using cylinder gas as the gas cylinders are physically in the house.

Would appreciate if you could share your personal experience on using gas cylinders.

Also, now I guess I have only the following options :

1. Use Gas Cylinders
2.Install Induction cooker aka electric stove (quite expensive in my opinion)
3. Remove the existing cooker hob and continue cooking with my small portable induction cooker. (PREFERRED Option)

Reason why I wanna remove the existing hob is cos currently I can only put the the induction cooker on a small available space on the existing hob as the rest of the parts are taken up by the stoves.

I also like to know if i were to remove the existing hob, where can i purchase / customise a wood (or any suitable material board) to cover the gap after removing the cooker hob.

Thank you for all good advise

What is the existing material on the surface top?

Laminate? Granite? Solid-surface? etc

Having a gas cylinder inside the house vs a long length of metal pipe - if there is a leak, which do you think is cheaper to inspect and replace?

You'll need to check if your electrical supply can sustain a built-in induction hob.
Chalkycliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

The surface top material looks like wood.

Well, the Citygas guy mentioned the chances of gas leak is lower with their piped gas vs cylinder gas.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

The surface top material looks like wood.

Well, the Citygas guy mentioned the chances of gas leak is lower with their piped gas vs cylinder gas.

If you decide to remove the existing gas hob, you will need to find a replacement that fits into the current size opening hole of the existing hob.

If you would like to install a new larger sized hob, depending on how the cabinet is constructed (where the hob is located), you may be able to increase the opening size.

In regards to cylinder gas vs piped gas - as long as your installation was done properly and checked/maintained appropriately, neither should give you proplems.

I honestly can't fault the Citygas man saying that his product has less incidences of malfunction, but then, he is trying to sell you his product, correct?
Chalkycliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #5

Thank you Chalkycliffs
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.