HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

DIY - Playing the ID role

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #1

DIY - Playing the ID role

Hi all,

As engaging an ID to design and manage our house is expensive, i have decided to play the ID role myself. However, a big challenge is i do not know how and where to start. Asking any kind souls here if they could advise:
a) what software is good for me to do 3D design for contractor to perform?
b) where to learn the process of renovation work? what steps come after next? and what are some tips/things that i should be aware before renovation. I might not know what i don't know so this is an important aspect to learn them before i engage the contractor.
c) where could i get access to the available laminate/wall tiles/floor tiles/glass material and design?

Thank you.
snowblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #2

d) are they any courses i can take to learn about 3D drawing?
Old 26-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

U can engage a contractor instead of ID. Just go online see the design u like and show them. They can do it based on the photos.
snowblaze likes this.
bendi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #4

Hi all,

As engaging an ID to design and manage our house is expensive, i have decided to play the ID role myself. However, a big challenge is i do not know how and where to start. Asking any kind souls here if they could advise:

c) where could i get access to the available laminate/wall tiles/floor tiles/glass material and design?

Thank you.
Do you know how to use Google search?

eleutheromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

Hi all,
a) what software is good for me to do 3D design for contractor to perform?

d) are they any courses i can take to learn about 3D drawing?
It's pointless to learn 3D visualization. You need to model 3D models and then render the scene. You have to know how to light the 3D model scene in order to do a proper render. And in doing so, you need a proper PC setup for 3D visualization.

If you really want to have 3D images, the contractor can do that for you. You'll have to pay for them. It's usually FOC as it's included (mark-up) somewhere in the cost/price of the reno services.
Old 26-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

It's pointless to learn 3D visualization. You need to model 3D models and then render the scene. You have to know how to light the 3D model scene in order to do a proper render. And in doing so, you need a proper PC setup for 3D visualization.

If you really want to have 3D images, the contractor can do that for you. You'll have to pay for them. It's usually FOC as it's included (mark-up) somewhere in the cost/price of the reno services.
thanks for sharing! I have a contractor but i have problem communicating the type of design which i want to convey. It's hard to express what i want to and i dont have ready made pictures to show.
Do all contractors know how to do the 3D images? mine doesnt seem so.
Old 26-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #7
Master Member

thanks for sharing! I have a contractor but i have problem communicating the type of design which i want to convey. It's hard to express what i want to and i dont have ready made pictures to show.

You can search online to see if freelance designers can provide you with 3D imagery, or even better - proper construction drawings for your contractor. They will obviously charge a fee, depending on how detailed the drawings and 3D images are.

Don't waste time trying to learn how to do the 3D imagery yourself.

The best way to communicate the designs you like is to go to the library and borrow design books and magazines. The Orchard library has the most number of design books/magazines in 1 location, but the other libraries also have small sections as well.

This can be a bit time consuming in that you will need to browse through A LOT of books/magazines.

Get small post-it label stickers to mark the designs you like - you will likely end up with a lot of stickers, so you will have to edit your selections to prevent your design choices from going into too many directions.

An alternative is to use the NLB app (NLB Mobile & Overdrive) to borrow design e-books.

There are also apps (Zinio) for design e-magazines that you can buy.

If you need more help, you can PM me.
snowblaze likes this.
Chalkycliffs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #8

You see ah - Many home security cameras nowadays have facial recognition, which lets you create a database of friends and family members who regularly visit your house.
lowandhighseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #9

Contractors are often experienced enough to understand what the designers and homeowners want for their designs. If a contractor does not understand what you are looking for, you should look at another way of expressing yourself. If not, you will have the same issue when communicating to the interior designer or 3D visualizer.

There's plenty of images online. Use the right search term.
Old 27-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #10

IMO a good contractor will also have some visualisation skills. It's better to work with him/her than to try to do it yourself, unless you are really good at design and sketching.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:26 AM   #11

You see ah - Many home security cameras nowadays have facial recognition, which lets you create a database of friends and family members who regularly visit your house.
hmm what are you trying to say?
Old 30-01-2020, 12:29 AM   #12

thanks. seems like the general advice is for me to learn and perform the 3D design myself. Instead i should rely on ready images (e.g. online search/magazines) to convey to the contractors.

Another question is that will the contractor advise me what i should do first in the house? will he advise me what is good/bad? I have zero knowledge in renovating.
Old 30-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #13

thanks. seems like the general advice is for me to learn and perform the 3D design myself. Instead i should rely on ready images (e.g. online search/magazines) to convey to the contractors.

Another question is that will the contractor advise me what i should do first in the house? will he advise me what is good/bad? I have zero knowledge in renovating.
I have to be blunt here.

You are a good example of who a contractor will take advantage of.

Organize your thoughts and what you want to say. The general advice here is NOT for you to learn 3D.

Everything about renovation is logic. Ask yourself, what is the first thing to do and what's the last thing to do?.

Will you lay the floors first, paint the walls then do electrical and carpentry works? Logically you will paint the walls last to minimize the dust and dirt from the works. Obviously your flooring have to be done before carpentry works especially if you want the carpentry to sit on the flooring and not on an unfinished floor.

If you are that clueless, I'll suggest you engage a good interior designer. It's better to spend money engaging an interior designer who will not let you spend unnecessary money on works that's not required or kena ripped off by sub contractors.

Do you have a list of the works you want done?

Last edited by eleutheromania; 30-01-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Old 30-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
Master Member

hmm what are you trying to say?

Pretty sure the reply is for some other thread.
Old 30-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #15
Master Member

Typo there? I think the general advice is to NOT learn 3D rendering.

Unless you want to make a hobby/job out of it...

1 thing about 3D rendering is that sometimes it gives an unrealistic impression of how a design may look due to impossible virtual camera placement, wide angle lenses or other optical distorsions, artificial lighting, furniture placement, etc.

If you're the type to get easily suckered into nice imagery, you have to be realistic about what your property can do.

The size and layout (and budget) will ultimately dictate what can and cannot be achieved.

Above all, be practical. The design may look nice, but think about how useable it is. Nice looking things may not be functional in a home occupied with small children, elderly resident or pets.

Your goal is to have a habitable environment where you shouldn't have to fuss over every little bit of decor - you don't have to fill every space on the first try.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.