Good lobangs for Housing stuff

blueliteycy

Reaction score
Finally I finish my renov for my 140sqm EA. Total damage 28K (exclude furnishing), not counting the nitty gritty cost of pails, brushes, detergent etc etc...

Post here if you wanna know more on how I get to spend 28k.

Is it cheap? or not worthwhile for the amount of work I have ask for? I will get new hse pictures upload soon here. :D watch out here. :)

28k for 140sqm is a good price...what are the work done?
u went thru ID? or direct to contractors?

shiriai

Reaction score
hi Gentoro

Apology but took me quite sometime to get all the info in place for me to list down here. Others please feel free to comment and add your info as well.

1) Furnishing
There are a few choices here.
If you desire custom made wardrobe/kitchen/cabinet, you can try directly look for a carpentry workshop eg. Natural Interior @96613002, Mr Ong. You can try directly other carpentry businesses in SG and pricing is a lot lesser by 20% at least than the ID or contractor quoted price.
Standard wardrobe and standard furniture - Furniture Warehouse at 17 Sungei Kadut Way: reason being many competitors around this stall (warehouse), its pricing is easily comparable with Nova, Rozel, Novena etc. Pricing is competitive or not, just go see the actual item & pricing yourself to believe it.
My favourite sofa set will be with Seahorse. Proven to last and comfy for my butt!
Ikea, no comment. Speaks for itself and my favourite

2) Air-Con and other electricals
The most or common item in a household – Maximum Credit Co Pte Ltd. Having 30+yrs of history and 5 outlets over the island. It offers good competitive prices of major brands of electrical but unlike major dealer eg. GC, Courts or Big B*X. They prefer cash payment (Deposit & Balance) which they can reduce the price to a scale where you cant find @ major dealer.
Lion City Company – Geylang Lor 40. Well established with 30+yr history. Generally pricing is competitive but due to modern management of its descendents, it accept credit, nets payment which don’t offer lower price.
Overall – some small establishment in your neighbourhood can offer good price items if you are friendly to them.

3) Mattress
A must have in every home – If along the way seeing the furniture warehouse at sungei kadut, try hope by “Furniture Mart” @ 3 Sungei Kadut #02-00 to see see their mattress collection or you can try “The Mattress Centre” located in now in Jalan Ismail or pop by west side of SG to “Sincere Furniture Centre” at Tradehub21. These brand has been around locally businesses for 20+yrs and some were 30+yrs. Reason being simple – Good quality @ competitive price. There is one more 50+yrs history but only major in Kingkoil – Sleepland Singapore @ Clementi West Coast Blk 501. A sincere expert only dealing with kingkoil as housebrand.

For other mattress stall - same thing make sure to ask for their house brand, certain business carry certain housebrand which allow them higher profit margin which in turn can benefit you with higher discount.

4) Toilet accessories
A lot of shop along balestier rd, Geylang and some other areas. The most reasonable I ever encounter was “Homeone Trading” @Geylang Lor 44. For best deal, try to ask for the stall’s housebrand. Among their 1 housebrand, they can actually offer the best quality/model@most competitive price. Why so? Reason being: Its their housebrand with highest profit margin. Eg. Kroll stainless steel rain shower set can be $800-1000, Grohe easily $800-$1500 (non stainless steel) but imagine other smaller brand with similar quality can goes as cheap as $500+ or lesser. As for $300-500, you can get at most an average brand chrome brass rain set.
You can try other small toilet accessories stall but “Must” ask whether do they have housebrand? Reason being: Only long term establishment are able to get sole dealership aka Housebrand and so able to provide you the best offer at best model.

5) Lightings
Same as above – tons of shops as usual but do not be deceive by the Icra or Radex or Casetrust certified. Yes, I do agree that this certification means good and safety net for consumers but you are definitely not getting the most competitive price.
When comes to lighting and electrical, however good the brand eg. Orsam, Philip or “China” or Taiwan No brand bulb, IMHO – all boils down to luck. Compare Apple to Apple and mine can spoil within 6 months while the other Apple can last 1yrs or more. I hope you get the meaning.
As for pricing – I feel that it’s the Salesman that proven to be the most impt factor. Why? You may ask – the most notorious salesman (highest sales, biggest parang) had left (change industry) and now left with nice gentlemen now. I also like their cosy sofa and nice ambient.

6) Reno
Reno can be cheapest “ONLY” if you DIY. Imagine a full BTO 4Bedrooms plus electronic and lighting and furniture can go under 30k? It can be done as sweat and effort did by owner – neck breaking ceiling/wall painting thru out many nights. Individual contractor for each items eg. Windows & kitchen cabinets. Engage them and bargain for good price with 3-5 quotations each. My fren’s wife just being so good at bargaining, I can’t. Following above tips of recommendations which I have surveyed.

Reno by ID company – I would recommend companies with system of QC and certification in place eg. Casetrust, Radex, Icra or other. The more certifications, the more reliable and more expensive but at least you are getting the quality of what you are paying for. I wouldn’t trust any non-certified ID even thou it highly recommended by close friend. Reason being – communication! Certification actually proven that this company has a system or SOP in place so that communication and professionalism is up to standards. They wouldn’t dare trash their boss’ credibility. Every portfolio they show you can be taken from their “Best” work or even other’s “Best” work? Yes, this can be attractive and looks damn good! But a good ID does not sell you the designs, they sell you the Black & White – meaning data & design in paper for you to keep aka Material List.

Material list (Item, brand, code) being the most important document in a renovation process, all talk is bullsh*t. With this list, you can sue the company if you think they used an inferior lamination or use lousy quality paint. With this list, even when company is gone, you can get the same material eg. Lamination to repair for broken cabinet.

If you had spent 50-80k on reno and your portfolio doesn't include you the full detailed material list? Good Game and just be happy with what you had. :D

7) Wall paper
Can make a huge different in appearance and presentation of any units of home from studio to EM. The most recommended one is commonly found in few areas of SG and in most furniture/ID fair – The Wall Story. Before you proceed, Wall Story isn’t the cheapest compare to many outside freelance ID or P&R. Why I recommend? They sell you the design n concept n lastly, good workmanship with warranty. Too well known to give you inferior workmanship.
1 studio may need up to 3-4 rolls of wall paper (4m x 5m) which cheapest cost ard $2000-$3000 but material cost is actually only $400-$800 for wall paper, $50 for sealant and $100 for wallpaper adhesive. Almost 80% of cost goes to the labour but that’s the fact and truth. If you can DIY – you will be saving 80% cost.

hi,

Thanks for sharing.

You mentioned that toilet accessories in the biggest poshed toilet ACs stall in GL can be cheaper for the similar band/model of shower tap or toilet bowl. May I know what does GL stands for? - geylang?

Any lightings shops you will recommend? I tried to surf the link that you provided on lights but it is not longer available.

Thanks & Regards.

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Haha, they ended their business in GL in July 2015. You can try 9748 899nine, msg freddy and ask for his shop location at balestier.

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
28k for 140sqm is a good price...what are the work done?
u went thru ID? or direct to contractors?

I never got ID, I myself is the ID and directed all contractors.

The list of work done are in page 1.

1) Tiling and cement for 2 toilets, overlay with sqft tiles, including removal of old toilets and installation of new accessories, removal of roof beam. sealing up of windows (duno for wat use small 1 sqft) and patching up of floors - 14k net
- include a false wall built to cater deity cabinet to face the best direction
- Build-in floor in balcony (overlayed) to heighten, flushed same height with living room floor
- Removal and dumping all thorn down material by previous owner eg. false ceiling and all wall stuff
2) Carpentry for custom 2 full ht cabinets 7.5ft by 8.5ft by 1.5ft (living room) and kitchen cabinets with solid top - 8.7k nett
3) Electrician - re-wiring whole house (cant remember how many 13As, cat6, SCV sockets ) 3k net (I tips him $500 more)
4) Painting - whole house pearl white based with only for rooms (x4) half orangy light yellow/pearl white - 2k

In short my reno cost is 28.2k

Last edited:

aaronlow

Reaction score
i beg to differ,

lioncityco @ lor 40 geyland.

AVOID AT all COST .
i went there to enquire .
the attitude is horrigible.
served by lao auntie.

AVOID AT all COST .

:s22::s22::s22::s22::s22::s22:

jackyfoo80

Reaction score
For toilet accessories, im looking between shops in gl mainly wasser pte ltd and renodeals. Mainly is when they having promo.

Kaylin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I never got ID, I myself is the ID and directed all contractors.

The list of work done are in page 1.

1) Tiling and cement for 2 toilets, overlay with sqft tiles, including removal of old toilets and installation of new accessories, removal of roof beam. sealing up of windows (duno for wat use small 1 sqft) and patching up of floors - 14k net
- include a false wall built to cater deity cabinet to face the best direction
- Build-in floor in balcony (overlayed) to heighten, flushed same height with living room floor
- Removal and dumping all thorn down material by previous owner eg. false ceiling and all wall stuff
2) Carpentry for custom 2 full ht cabinets 7.5ft by 8.5ft by 1.5ft (living room) and kitchen cabinets with solid top - 8.7k nett
3) Electrician - re-wiring whole house (cant remember how many 13As, cat6, SCV sockets ) 3k net (I tips him $500 more)
4) Painting - whole house pearl white based with only for rooms (x4) half orangy light yellow/pearl white - 2k

In short my reno cost is 28.2k

how much did you pay for overlaying a bathroom? most contractors and IDs are charging ard $2-3K each, thats floor & walls including labor & tiles. i dont mind doing DIY reno but the prices are not cheap also when you just randomly walk in or write in to enquire. plus you're not even sure whether they'll do a good job. DIY only good for people who have the contacts else you'll just end up not saving much and yet need to do the coordination work.

KopRulez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any reasonable place to buy bed frame & sofa at affordable prices?

Kam sia in advance.

Walkytalky

Reaction score
Too lenghty post or no one prefer good recommendation/lobang?
There is a short yet in-depth video sharing where you can get the best range and prices for electronic lobangs.
Watch it and you'll never have to wonder where to get your electronic devices again in future.

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HN and Best gave good prices. Gain City Sg. Kadut side also from time to time also good deals. Need to know what you want then compare

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.