(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a OCD distribution tool. And I find it useless as well. My most useful tool is a needle.
The problem with single dosing is that the beginning grounds are of different sizes from the ending grounds, that is if you dump all your beans in at once. Which is why stirring your grounds with a tool is so important.

Sent from HUAWEI CLT-L29 using GAGT
I don't use single dosing. I find my grinds ok leh, beginning and end like not much diff.

So I just shake and tap and tamp.

pulp_79sg

Reaction score
You can try Blue Star Coffee. Reasonable shipping to SG from Ireland. My parcel got stuck there by Anpost since March (due to flight suspension!), but just got my parcel.

i bought from coffeeparts.au before. depends what you are shipping. might be ex.

Thanks guys... both sites either do not have the parts I need or are out-of-stock...

Ended up getting from www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com and paid €26 shipping to SG. Hopefully everything get delivered but payment is via Paypal so still rather safe.

All in all, still cheaper than the useless SG distributor. They provide machine maintenance service but claim they don't keep spares so I have to order in advance and wait a month. Makes me wonder how legit they are since grouphead gaskets are like the most basic part to replace. Total rubbish.

idjekyll

Reaction score
Can I just how long do you keep the beans in the hopper before you notice them going stale?

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I just how long do you keep the beans in the hopper before you notice them going stale?

I usually keep a buffer of around 2-3 days. Some palate might be sensitive to this but I think >5-7 days the beans will start to deteriorate. Dark roast stales faster than medium ones.

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score

I usually keep a buffer of around 2-3 days. Some palate might be sensitive to this but I think >5-7 days the beans will start to deteriorate. Dark roast stales faster than medium ones.

For some reason my decaf beans can't be kept in the hopper overnight - once they do the shot becomes a gusher and will be underextracted. I need to single dose even though I have a Sette 270Wi.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For some reason my decaf beans can't be kept in the hopper overnight - once they do the shot becomes a gusher and will be underextracted. I need to single dose even though I have a Sette 270Wi.

Yes, that's correct. Decaf beans stale faster. I think James Hoffman mentioned this at some point in his videos.

DriftKing

Reaction score
Anyone tried Indonesian Papandayan Natural G1 beans before? Got it from Lam Yeo and its one of their most expensive offering i can remember.

Light roast, should be for filter but I had it via espresso. Very different taste notes. Really want to try it with a better rendition of its taste.

hamikua

Reaction score
Anyone here finds it so challenging to hand grind light roasts like Ethiopia Yirgacheffe?

I’m using a decent hand grinder but this particular bean has always been damn tough to grind

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score
Anyone here finds it so challenging to hand grind light roasts like Ethiopia Yirgacheffe?

I’m using a decent hand grinder but this particular bean has always been damn tough to grind

yup light roasts high density beans are always harder to grind esp on the portable hand grinders. Need to get some momentum in to grind smoothly.

what grinder are you using? I am looking at a replacement for my feldgrind. I damaged the grinder when using it attached to a hand drill at high speed!

hamikua

Reaction score
Good to hear that im not the only one! I’m using a Helor 101, pretty good so far except when using for those light roasts.

yup light roasts high density beans are always harder to grind esp on the portable hand grinders. Need to get some momentum in to grind smoothly.

what grinder are you using? I am looking at a replacement for my feldgrind. I damaged the grinder when using it attached to a hand drill at high speed!

idjekyll

Reaction score
give 1zpresso a try. the jx-pro hits the sweet spot with performance and price. does well in espressos and drip as well. Good quality too.

jordanlah

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was googling for an espresso machine and stumbled upon this wonderful thread. Would really appreciate if any can give any recommendation. :)

I'm looking at upgrading from my heavily modified Delonghi Dedica (changed pump, steam wand) . Was looking at the Ascaso Dream PID but not sure if anyone in Singapore carries it and would service it should anything happen. (It's a hefty investment! :s22: )

Some requirements I'm looking at:
- Small and compact (my kitchen has limited space)
- non-pressurized basket (preferably 58mm for nice tampers)
- single hole steam wand (I'm using a rancilio silvia steam wand on my delonghi now)
- Hopefully better brew pressure than my delonghi, as it is now not able to push and keep up with my Breville grinder

Really appreciate your time and if you could point me in the right direction! :)

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was googling for an espresso machine and stumbled upon this wonderful thread. Would really appreciate if any can give any recommendation. :)

I'm looking at upgrading from my heavily modified Delonghi Dedica (changed pump, steam wand) . Was looking at the Ascaso Dream PID but not sure if anyone in Singapore carries it and would service it should anything happen. (It's a hefty investment! :s22: )

- single hole steam wand (I'm using a rancilio silvia steam wand on my delonghi now)
- Hopefully better brew pressure than my delonghi, as it is now not able to push and keep up with my Breville grinder

Really appreciate your time and if you could point me in the right direction! :)

I might be wrong but Ascaso is more or less similar to Dedica apart from the PID. You may want to upgrade to other better alternatives such as Rocket Apartamento or Bezzera BZ series that doesn't take up much space.

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score
Hi All,

Steam wand tips usually can change. Going from 1 to 2 or 4 steam tips usually not a big issue. I actually find 1 harder to create micro foam.

Cremina - Small, pretty and probably the most robust. but expensive. Makes awesome single shots but steaming is soso. Local support need to check if coffee in a place is still around. But actually a cremina is a no brainer to service, no pumps, just simple electronics and mechanical levers. i changed the pressurestat myself. Once you nail the routine, it is actually very simple to brew using a lever. No need to worry about pressure since you provide the pressure.

Appartamento - small and compact too. seems to have good steam. not too expensive. I htink papa palheta provide servincing.

Decent - small, high tech, can probably replicate commercial machines in terms of temp stability and pressure/flow profiling. Can play with the parameters. Not sure about local support. More complicated electronics to spoil.

VBMs new domobar series looks really good. Might want to see if highlander still brings it in.

jordanlah

Reaction score
Thanks all for your helpful responses.

Indeed I checked - Ascaso Dream uses the same Ulka pump as DeLonghi Dedica :/

The Cremina does look good - but maybe a bit out of my budget. :(

How about the La Pavoni? How does it compare to the Cremina?

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score
Thanks all for your helpful responses.

Indeed I checked - Ascaso Dream uses the same Ulka pump as DeLonghi Dedica :/

The Cremina does look good - but maybe a bit out of my budget. :(

How about the La Pavoni? How does it compare to the Cremina?

honestly i don't think the ulka pump is a problem to get sufficient 9 bars of pressure. the issue could be a case where the OPV is set incorrectly (18 bar instead of 11 bar) or the grind is not suitable.

but yes 58mm is a good basket size to get cos most good roasters can recommend you the reciple based on 58mm VST baskets.

no experience with the pavoni but based on what i have read the brew group will overheat if left on for too long. Meaning the coffee will be harsh when you try to brew it after too long on idle. The cremina group head will stablise to ideal brewing temperature when the machine is on idle. There are work arounds such as using a temperature strip on the grouphead.

But yes if you don't want to tinker too much then maybe just get a Single boiler or heat exchange machine like the appartemento.

Or may even consider a breville?

Grinder is also very important. What grinder are u using?

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

You can consider the Lelit MaraX as well.

jordanlah

Reaction score
honestly i don't think the ulka pump is a problem to get sufficient 9 bars of pressure. the issue could be a case where the OPV is set incorrectly (18 bar instead of 11 bar) or the grind is not suitable.

but yes 58mm is a good basket size to get cos most good roasters can recommend you the reciple based on 58mm VST baskets.

no experience with the pavoni but based on what i have read the brew group will overheat if left on for too long. Meaning the coffee will be harsh when you try to brew it after too long on idle. The cremina group head will stablise to ideal brewing temperature when the machine is on idle. There are work arounds such as using a temperature strip on the grouphead.

But yes if you don't want to tinker too much then maybe just get a Single boiler or heat exchange machine like the appartemento.

Or may even consider a breville?

Grinder is also very important. What grinder are u using?

Thanks Lazy_Tiger for your tip. As stated in my original post, I'm using the Breville Smart Grinder 820. I usually can grind between the 7-11 setting for the Delonghi, but recently it can't even push when I set it to really coarse at 13-14.

So you reckon that although Ascaso Dream PID and Delonghi Dedica uses the same Ulka pump, the Ascaso would be able to push better? :s11:

jordanlah

Reaction score
You can consider the Lelit MaraX as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. Did some research and found that seems like Lelit MaraX is also using a similar Ulka pump like Delonghi Dedica.

Maybe can some experts here comment? :s11: If the machines are using similar pumps, would the pressure given out be similar? Or does it depend on other parts of the mechanism designs as well?

Anyone has used a Delonghi Dedica and Ascaso Dream side by side and compared how well they pushed?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Reggieccw

Reaction score
Has anyone here have experience with the Flair Pro 2? Been wanting to start my espresso journey at the lower price point.

-does the work flow get annoyingly troublesome to sustain?

-anyone using it with Baratza Encore? its probably not the most ideal pairing, but as I said, lower price point.

-if not, what grinders are you pairing it with?
(was thinking of comandante c40)

-any other comments/advice? :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.