HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Like Tree340Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #4981
Supremacy Member

oh? 600+ can get a 'pro' machine? which one ah?
i like delonghi cos of the minimal space it requires; hence i got a smaller krups grinder too.

tough to get a 'pro' machine.
I post top of the page #4968. Another "low end" is Rancilio but Spinelli price not so low.

http://www.spinellicoffee.com/promotions

Last edited by Knight_Rider; 09-09-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Knight_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #4982
Arch-Supremacy Member

You can get from Bodum.
testerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #4983
Arch-Supremacy Member

The next step up is $300 more so a Delonghi still makes sense for casual drinkers. There are no "mid" end machines sadly. Even krups pulled out.
I thought mid is like $1k+ machines?
Krups quality is not good. Had a krups 10 yrs ago; every 1-2mths pump breaks down. Had it fixed once and replaced new still breaks. Upgraded to a solis that lasted me 7-8yrs.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #4984
Arch-Supremacy Member

Have questions on Delonghi 680

1. Does it matter if I use a larger double basket with 7g instead of single basket of 7g.

2. I use double basket of 7g and press the 2 cup button. Diluted coffee? Or I should add another 7g to be double shot
7g for single basket
14g for double; u do not put 7g into single.

If you could use 7g in 14g why build 7g basket? Waste metal?
Drip machines let u put different amount into basket espresso does not work this way if so just give u a 21g and gives u the freedom to vary from 21g.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #4985
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mod to unpressurize basket may mean he has to upgrade his grinder
Bigger burr generally means more counter space
Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #4986
Arch-Supremacy Member

These delonghi krups machine are known coffeee burners and the steam is very bad for making lattes.
delonghi espresso esam has pretty good review for a superauto
But itís relative and not tried it b4 to comment on it
Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #4987
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think u take apart, u waste even more coffee trying to calibrate back.

The Urnex, Puly grind thing works, i remember i saw on don't know HB or CS forum, got people reviewed and took it apart to compare before and after.
Depends on kind of grinder; those lower end ones sure. You lose it once u remove the top burr. Mine top burr does not move so removing does not mess things up.

Some Ppl worried about ingest chemicals; I wonder how they review. Did they do a chem Test. Yes itís safe consumption
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #4988
Supremacy Member

Mod to unpressurize basket may mean he has to upgrade his grinder
Bigger burr generally means more counter space
Not sure if this is good or for the same price should get the breville one?

http://www.delonghi.com/en-sg/products/coffee/coffee-makers/grinders/kg-521m-0177111045
Knight_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #4989

7g for single basket
14g for double; u do not put 7g into single.

If you could use 7g in 14g why build 7g basket? Waste metal?
Drip machines let u put different amount into basket espresso does not work this way if so just give u a 21g and gives u the freedom to vary from 21g.
So the point being?
7g in 7g basket taste better than the same amount in 14 basket?
linusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #4990

Have questions on Delonghi 680

1. Does it matter if I use a larger double basket with 7g instead of single basket of 7g.

2. I use double basket of 7g and press the 2 cup button. Diluted coffee? Or I should add another 7g to be double shot
some guidelines

the weight of the grinds used should be about 1/2 the weight of your beverage.

e.g. 7g of coffee grinds will make you 14 grams of espresso

brew time generally should be 30 secs.

These recipes are good starting points. Adjustments are made after to achieve the taste profile you want.

what happens if you use a large basket with a dose lower than intended? usually your flow will be too fast. So you need to grind finer.
Why? There is too much head space between the top of the puck and shower screen allowing for the puck to expand more and causing the puck to lose its capacity to act as a "valve" (especially if you preinfuse at low pressures). secondly, most double baskets have more holes than a single basket.

If course this is with non-pressurised portafilters. The effect may be different with your pressurised portafilter.

Mind doing a comparison and letting us know the taste results? would be interesting to see how a pressurised portafilter behaves to still handle the low dose on a double basket.

yes 7 g on a double shot volume likley would be diluted coffee.

best tool for beginners? A weighing scale accurate to 0.1g to measure your coffee dose and your brew weight.
Lazy_Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #4991

I've used both pressurized and non-pressurized portafilters…

The pressurized portafilters usually come with lower-end machines and I don't think you have basket size options. Essentially it's a one-size-fits-all situation. The manual does not even tell you how much coffee the basket can hold. Everything is measured by the supplied scoop. 1 scoop for single, 2 scoops for double, something like that.

Grind size is also incredibly forgiving. In fact, any supermarket pre-ground coffee for espresso machines will give you good crema… thats what the pressurized portafilter is supposed to do.

I guess the target consumer for these sort of machines will not be too concerned with grind size, dosing etc.. I mean its a thermo-block, what more do you want?

Non-pressurized portafilters belong to a entirely different category of machines. Thats when you start thinking about basket sizes and about a million other things. Frustrating as hell but also rewarding when you hit the magic numbers…

Just to add on…

I checked out the Delongi 680 once… basically took apart the portafilter to look inside. Plastic everywhere. At that price it is expensive because the Philips Saeco also has plastic everywhere but is less than half the price. So either get a cheap machine to start the journey or shell out a bit more for one that hasn't got that much plastic….

Last edited by pulp_79sg; 10-09-2018 at 12:20 PM..
pulp_79sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:33 PM   #4992

someguidelines

the weight of the grinds used should be about 1/2 the weight of your beverage.

e.g. 7g of coffee grinds will make you 14 grams of espresso

brew time generally should be 30 secs.

These recipes are good starting points. Adjustments are made after to achieve the taste profile you want.

what happens if you use a large basket with a dose lower than intended? usually your flow will be too fast. So you need to grind finer.
Why? There is too much head space between the top of the puck and shower screen allowing for the puck to expand more and causing the puck to lose its capacity to act as a "valve" (especially if you preinfuse at low pressures). secondly, most double baskets have more holes than a single basket.

If course this is with non-pressurised portafilters. The effect may be different with your pressurised portafilter.

Mind doing a comparison and letting us know the taste results? would be interesting to see how a pressurised portafilter behaves to still handle the low dose on a double basket.

yes 7 g on a double shot volume likley would be diluted coffee.

best tool for beginners? A weighing scale accurate to 0.1g to measure your coffee dose and your brew weight.
Thanks for the sharing. Got my grinder. Will try with fresh bean and varying baskets with my flour machine and share
linusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #4993

Thanks for the sharing. Got my grinder. Will try with fresh bean and varying baskets with my flour machine and share
As a starter, try to be as consistent as possible, ie, keep dosage and basket the same, only change the grind setting, resist the temptation to play with too many variables.. Aim for a 30 sec extraction, double the dosage out (beverage weight).

It highly likely there will be alot of frustration as a beginner, just keep playing with the grind setting to get a sense of the grinder and its setting.

Helps to also use fresh roasted espresso beans (medium to dark roast)
wook2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #4994

Oh and beans donít get too fresh. 1-3 days after roast date will taste weird. Usually start to taste good 1 week after roast date. Some beans peak after 14 days.

Have fun!
Lazy_Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #4995

Beans Freshness

I usually buy beans from Spinelli (out of convenience) and noticed that only the first 2 days, I can get a good extraction timing of 25s. Once it moves into day 3 or 4 territory, with the same grind setting, the flow starts to be too fast.

Is this normal for you guys as well? I always wondered if it's our humidity or something that causes it to change to fast.

My grinder is a Sette, with 2 shims installed. Grinding at 3-B settings.
fuxmux is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.