iRobot Scooba experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreGoodEars

Reaction score
someone pm me a sales link saying this model 340 from 650, but i very the confused la

ok can anyone help list a breakdown a sort of reasonable price ranges for which model thanks very the much!! :)

oh one more Q, i also want to understand whats the difference betwn getting local and import in, of course the local wty, but whats there to cover, what thing will spoil, or say even if have cover, so is it really that necessary to have wty coverage, or can solve but going around problem, like buy replacement or self repiar

Last edited:

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
someone pm me a sales link saying this model 340 from 650, but i very the confused la

ok can anyone help list a breakdown a sort of reasonable price ranges for which model thanks very the much!! :)

oh one more Q, i also want to understand whats the difference betwn getting local and import in, of course the local wty, but whats there to cover, what thing will spoil, or say even if have cover, so is it really that necessary to have wty coverage, or can solve but going around problem, like buy replacement or self repiar
i never heard abt 650 before :s22:

for price range, you would need to go several websites to compare such as hsn.com, buy.com, amazon.com, irobot store, etc

not sure abt purchase in sg, but buy fm usa is as good as no warranty unless you want to send back your robot to usa by post.

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
Whats yr '650' referring to? Model no? Price? If its model no, then there's no such model as mosmos has pointed out. If 6050, thats the model for a Scooba 380 if i'm not mistaken. If its price in S$, then it somewhat expensive even factoring freight charges.

Local warranty means the local distributor is supposedly to cover all parts of the Scooba except expendables like brush and battery for defects and not due to fair wear and tear.
If u purchase from US, then u r really on your own should yr Scooba breaks down. IMO, as the price difference is huge, i would rather take the risk then to pay $1xxx up front for having local warranty coverage. As for Scooba parts, u can actually purchase the spare parts from online sites like Roomba Exchange and carry out yr own repairs/replacement if u r up to the task.

MoreGoodEars

Reaction score
oh sorry my confusion led to more confusion la!

i mean someone pm me a sales link in yahoo saying a brand new 340 available FROM S$650, and since its compared to the local one which cost 1k+ i assume its mean no wty. by asking a breakdown which are the more popular and/or the more cost effective models, i am just interested to find out if thats ok or not, or if theres better options worth considering

as for warranty, i can understand surely it would cover something some parts here there etc, but i am inclined to find out, if even such warranty is really necessary, that some part(ssss?) might fail soon (or all the time!?!), i mean like buying a plain 4leg chair, even if theres wty, i don think it will serve much practical purpose becos unless i grew 300pounds it shouldnt crack up, but what does a wty will imply for a mechanical, electric-powered, moving and of cos, water-soaked robotic cleaner across a period of 12mths (or more of cos will be better!)

if from user experience, the 'thing' practically seldom wear down except perhaps a jittery wheel here, a worn brush there, or a drained battery (oh is this under wty), are these easily (or affordably) replaceable. if yes, then of cos the local wty will serve an even lesser attraction

but i thought i had this impression from someone or somewhere, say if buy a local unit with local wty, of course at a premium, say 1k+-, then add extended wty, say another 200 for 4 years, true the final sum could be a monstrous 1.2k+-, but wouldnt that cover 5yrs fully, and broken down thats like less than 300 (SGD) a year isnt it AND with wty coverage all the while. wouldnt that sound least be reasonable, or theres blindspots i am missing thks!! (i can think of one immediately, that is it could older models, but lets assume on sake of argument its near or close equivalent models)

the crux of cos will go back to: is the local wty necessary, which goes to is the unit relatively fuzz-free (or remedy-able, on available/affordable parts) within a year or say up to 24mths, on about regular but alternate days operations.

i know all this might sound lengthy, but i am coming from the point of view of the big picture to me, which is a feasible, decently effectively workhorse not for mere 12mths, but 24-36mths up least. if its mroe cost effective to buy consecutive units, like say ship in a new one every 12mths as the previous one dies off thats fine and understandable, BUT thats assumign that previous one could see thru 12mths without me losing the last visage of my whatever remaining hairline haha :D

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
For local warranty, i think you better call them whether they includes wear & tear of wheels + brushes + battery. :s22:

For electrical superstore, those wear and tear are excluded from extended warranty. :s22:

Last edited:

dankoo

Reaction score
Anything can happen for eletronic stuff...it can be DOA or working fine all the time...most of us here are OK without warranty. You also just need to learn abit of DIY maintenance...meaning more than the normal cleaning of bin. I believe Scooba should be less prone to breakdown as it is mainly mopping and the dust factor is lower..Roomba are real dusty but that just mean that it is effective. iRobot has yet to come up with a model that effective protect its internal from dust.

I think ultimately you have to ask yourself what is your ROI? How much you willing to pay for it to work for how long? :)

MoreGoodEars

Reaction score
i am not confident do the shipping, i worry what if something cork up with shipment, like if i mess up the charges or what happens they stall or missing or damage or doa or wahtever

as for warratny wise, i understand wear tear usually not covered but as mentioned, those small parts seem replaceable and available, the question is what OTHER big/critical item/parts difficult or pricy and prone to failure. IF at the end of the day, its just really wheels, brushes, screws and battery (assuming its not covered EVEN udner wty), then whats the pt of warranty at all!? for this user feedback will be very usefu lo

oh oh for the irobot experts, what models recommend for scrooba

dankoo

Reaction score
Shipping is pretty straight forward...you have a few options as mentioned. For a electronics+Mechanical parts, defintely more than just brushes or wheel can breakdown...the motor, the PCB...hard to say.

As for Scooba, it is up to your usage and size of your home. I have both and IMO, roomba is more effective. Scooba mission logic still not that good.

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
MoreGoodEars, i think no one can really say for sure which are the items that are prone to break in a Scooba. Unlike a Roomba which has a no. of replaceable components, most of the parts in a Scooba arent exactly very cheap/small components. So far, i've not heard about common small little failures. If there's a fault, its usually either the drive motor, vacuum impeller or the brush motor. I've been using mine for 2 missions daily for the past 8+ months and its still working fine, apart from the rattling noise (which i will troubleshoot later).

As for the battery, if i'm not mistaken, the local distributor only gives 6 mths warranty. Are u certain u only need to pay $200 for 4yrs of extended warranty? Have u also checked what the extended warranty covers? Turn around time? Suggest u check with users who have dealt with the local distributor to find out more about their quality of service b4 u commit.

as for warranty, i can understand surely it would cover something some parts here there etc, but i am inclined to find out, if even such warranty is really necessary, that some part(ssss?) might fail soon (or all the time!?!)

if from user experience, the 'thing' practically seldom wear down except perhaps a jittery wheel here, a worn brush there, or a drained battery (oh is this under wty), are these easily (or affordably) replaceable. if yes, then of cos the local wty will serve an even lesser attraction

but i thought i had this impression from someone or somewhere, say if buy a local unit with local wty, of course at a premium, say 1k+-, then add extended wty, say another 200 for 4 years, true the final sum could be a monstrous 1.2k+-, but wouldnt that cover 5yrs fully, and broken down thats like less than 300 (SGD) a year isnt it AND with wty coverage all the while. wouldnt that sound least be reasonable, or theres blindspots i am missing thks!! (i can think of one immediately, that is it could older models, but lets assume on sake of argument its near or close equivalent models)

the crux of cos will go back to: is the local wty necessary, which goes to is the unit relatively fuzz-free (or remedy-able, on available/affordable parts) within a year or say up to 24mths, on about regular but alternate days operations.

i know all this might sound lengthy, but i am coming from the point of view of the big picture to me, which is a feasible, decently effectively workhorse not for mere 12mths, but 24-36mths up least. if its mroe cost effective to buy consecutive units, like say ship in a new one every 12mths as the previous one dies off thats fine and understandable, BUT thats assumign that previous one could see thru 12mths without me losing the last visage of my whatever remaining hairline haha :D

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
If shipping is so prone to cock ups, there'll not be so many of us here ordering our bots from US will there? U might like to read up more on shipping related matters in some of the earlier posts. Sign up for an account with Vpost, Borderlinx, etc. and u'll be given a US forwarding address. You can then place an order and fill in yr US shipping address for the order to be shipped to. Sure, there can be mishaps in shipping but it doesnt happen that often. Your biggest concern should be the product DOA, in which case u r simply down right unlucky. Its just a risk u have to evaluate, considering u r paying a WHOLE LOT less than purchasing one here in Singapore.

i am not confident do the shipping, i worry what if something cork up with shipment, like if i mess up the charges or what happens they stall or missing or damage or doa or wahtever

as for warratny wise, i understand wear tear usually not covered but as mentioned, those small parts seem replaceable and available, the question is what OTHER big/critical item/parts difficult or pricy and prone to failure. IF at the end of the day, its just really wheels, brushes, screws and battery (assuming its not covered EVEN udner wty), then whats the pt of warranty at all!? for this user feedback will be very usefu lo

oh oh for the irobot experts, what models recommend for scrooba

MoreGoodEars

Reaction score
i suddenyl have idea, is it cheaper or more cost effective to order one shot 2 units instead one. do they pack toegther or separate, so in case 1 DOA (and become spare), least the other still working and overall costs still lower correct

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
i suddenyl have idea, is it cheaper or more cost effective to order one shot 2 units instead one. do they pack toegther or separate, so in case 1 DOA (and become spare), least the other still working and overall costs still lower correct
when ordering 2, just becareful total cost does not exceed sgd$400, else sg custom will charge you 7% gst.

Whether they pack 2 into 1 box or the size of box, it will depends on the sender, mostly you have no idea abt it until it reaches vpost/comgateway.

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
That depends on how the items are packed. Remember shipping is based on actual or volumetric weight, whichever is HIGHER. Also bear in mind, item value inclusive freight exceeding SGD400 is subjected to GST ! :s22:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.