iRobot Scooba experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

smhousefly

Reaction score
If you are looking at vacuum and wet mop at the same time... i think LG Roboking is the only choice... although the wet mop function is not exactly endorsed by the vendors... i had been using it for months with no problems... just wet the cloth and squeeze out most of the water to leave it slightly damp... it can last at least 1 round of cleaning...

I've set it to run on a daily schedule so no worry that it will become a white elephant... :p

I have a 3yr old monster as well... the robot comes in handy when she refused to keep her toys and i will just scare her saying the robot will eat her toys if she dun keep it properly... and it works all the time...

Another thing to note is that... like the sellers here have claimed... i feel that the Roboking suction might not be as powerful as Roomba to pick up small objects although the newer one have a "turbo" function for carpets... but personally it suits my usage as i do not have much small objects laying on the floor...

hope this helps...

Thanks for sharing. I'm leaning closer towards the Irobot scooba due to the wet mopping.

Any disadvantages that i need to take note on the Scooba? I'm fine with noise since likely I will activate it when I'm not at home... Unless it gets lost or stuck when auto mop.

uno_bliss

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I'm leaning closer towards the Irobot scooba due to the wet mopping.

Any disadvantages that i need to take note on the Scooba? I'm fine with noise since likely I will activate it when I'm not at home... Unless it gets lost or stuck when auto mop.
Comparing Scooba to other robots that do dry/moist cloth wiping, ur floor will be ridiculously clean. U can mop urself, then use Scooba, the Scooba dirty water will still be murky.
So how can compare with a tiny piece of cloth that's squeezed almost dry to wipe even one room.

Scooba sprays a thin layer of clean water, then gently scrubs & a rubber flap (ie. squeegee) collects & sucks away the dirty water immediately into separate container. What u get is concentrated dirty water. Floor is 98% germ-free.
If I use marmite to replicate germs, guess what sorta messy outcome u can expect from a tiny piece of near-dry cloth.

Pls PM or email me unobliss@yahoo.com for queries

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think scooba and Roboking are totally different machine... I had both... and the scooba is quite a white elephant at my place... partly due to 3 reasons... it is too wet for my liking and it leaves ugly water marks on my homogeneous tiles and also it is only good if i do smaller/shorter run on each area to cover the whole house which means i need to monitor it more often. If i let it run the whole house on 1 run... i dun think it will cover every corner.

I will only recommend Scooba if you have the time/patience to segregate each run on each area and you do not mind the wetness lvl...

Do not mistaken though... i think Scooba is a great machine that can do a great job... just that i am really too lazy to wash one room at a time... My scooba now mainly clean my balcony and toilet and kitchen once a while which the tiles are not those shiny type...

Fufufu

Reaction score
Wongkc, how wet is wet for the scooba?

The only thing that draws me to it is the thorough cleaning method that UNO-bliss has mentioned, but like u said, I believe I would need to monitor the machine since it won't be able to clean the entire house on a single run.

I have marble flooring all round which means it can get really slippery when wet. I have a 5yo daughter n am pregnant myself.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The only thing that draws me to it is the thorough cleaning method that UNO-bliss has mentioned, but like u said, I believe I would need to monitor the machine since it won't be able to clean the entire house on a single run.

I have marble flooring all round which means it can get really slippery when wet. I have a 5yo daughter n am pregnant myself.

Hey congrats to your pregnancy!

It gets pretty slippery on my homogeneous tiles... and becoz my is those reflective white kind... the water marks are pretty obvious after it is dried... I reckon the floor needs at least 30mins to 1 hour to dry completely if not longer... You may use a fan to dry it faster...

You can ask for a demo from the sellers here... if dun like the wetness dun buy lor... perhaps it is just me that dislike the wetness...

uno_bliss

Reaction score

I can demo for u to see the wetness, if it really needs 30 mins to 1 hr to dry. My experience is that it dries within 5 mins unless on very rough kitchen tiles.

Water mark is from 1 simple mistake: giving too large an area for the water to clean properly. Water runs out before area is cleaned, hence Scooba tires are still dirty.
Various poor maintenance leads to excessive wetness. And some users do not realize something isn't normal compared to when new, but they'll just complain & not find out.

A fully filled Scooba water tank will cover 425 sq ft (about 3 bedroom size). It is still recommended to split area by area using Virtual Walls or closed door.

I have a few customers who use Scooba daily & MUST use daily, so I'm on 2-hr manning when their robot is down.
One has a toddler crawling about, another has few kids with allergies, finally one MUST Scooba her kitchen after cook.

Remember my marmite simulation on germs. Then u decide how clean u want floor to be.

Fufufu

Reaction score
I can demo for u to see the wetness, if it really needs 30 mins to 1 hr to dry. My experience is that it dries within 5 mins unless on very rough kitchen tiles.

Water mark is from 1 simple mistake: giving too large an area for the water to clean properly. Water runs out before area is cleaned, hence Scooba tires are still dirty.
Various poor maintenance leads to excessive wetness. And some users do not realize something isn't normal compared to when new, but they'll just complain & not find out.

A fully filled Scooba water tank will cover 425 sq ft (about 3 bedroom size). It is still recommended to split area by area using Virtual Walls or closed door.

I have a few customers who use Scooba daily & MUST use daily, so I'm on 2-hr manning when their robot is down.
One has a toddler crawling about, another has few kids with allergies, finally one MUST Scooba her kitchen after cook.

Remember my marmite simulation on germs. Then u decide how clean u want floor to be.

Let me mull over it abit. It's useful when I have a baby who will start crawling and eating food off the floor yet I need to judge how wet and dangerous that can be when in use and of coZ the noise level that I am sensitive to.

Btw, do you carry the Mint Plus too (I know it's cleaning ability is different league from scooba but thought it would be good to have a basis for comparison)

uno_bliss

Reaction score
Let me mull over it abit. It's useful when I have a baby who will start crawling and eating food off the floor yet I need to judge how wet and dangerous that can be when in use and of coZ the noise level that I am sensitive to.

Btw, do you carry the Mint Plus too (I know it's cleaning ability is different league from scooba but thought it would be good to have a basis for comparison)
Aiyoh, can PM me or email unobliss@yahoo.com

Fufufu

Reaction score
And also, is the scooba high maintenance? A lot of parts to wash after each use? Does it take long? Like if I wanna do my rooms first, I need to take out all parts, wash, then run my second cycle to wash my living n dining area, repeat the wash, then do kitchen and remaining areas?

And uno bliss I don't quite get what u mean about the water marks. What do u mean by giving too large an area for the water to clean properly? As in if I have a large cleaning area it won't do a good job...?? Or that the area was already wet to begin with? Can u clarify?

Also, any problems of lime scale build up in the water tank?

I never like using floor cleaning detergent, if anything, I wouldn't mind some vinegar. Is using just water with some vinegar ok? Sometimes i add a drop of pure eucalyptus oil to my mopping water, can I do the same thing to the scooba?

uno_bliss

Reaction score
And also, is the scooba high maintenance? A lot of parts to wash after each use? Does it take long? Like if I wanna do my rooms first, I need to take out all parts, wash, then run my second cycle to wash my living n dining area, repeat the wash, then do kitchen and remaining areas?

And uno bliss I don't quite get what u mean about the water marks. What do u mean by giving too large an area for the water to clean properly? As in if I have a large cleaning area it won't do a good job...?? Or that the area was already wet to begin with? Can u clarify?

Also, any problems of lime scale build up in the water tank?

I never like using floor cleaning detergent, if anything, I wouldn't mind some vinegar. Is using just water with some vinegar ok? Sometimes i add a drop of pure eucalyptus oil to my mopping water, can I do the same thing to the scooba?
Q1. And also, is the scooba high maintenance? A lot of parts to wash after each use? Does it take long?
A1. Rinse these when call it a day: (a) water tank dirty compartment, (b) wire mesh filter, (c) a small rubber tube 1.5 cm diameter, (d) scrubbing brush & brush casing
(b) & (c) are extremely easy to rinse. (a) & (d) depends on how dirty ur floor was. Overall 5 mins.

Q2. Like if I wanna do my rooms first, I need to take out all parts, wash, then run my second cycle to wash my living n dining area, repeat the wash, then do kitchen and remaining areas?
A2. Rinse when u wanna call it a day.

Q3. And uno bliss I don't quite get what u mean about the water marks. What do u mean by giving too large an area for the water to clean properly? As in if I have a large cleaning area it won't do a good job...?? Or that the area was already wet to begin with? Can u clarify?
A3. Fully filled water tank cleans 425 sq ft. If I use this amount of water to clean 1000 sq ft, then floor will not be properly cleaned.
When Scooba moist tires go over dirty floor, u get tire tracks. After the brush scrubs the stains off, 60-80% of water is sucked back (depending on floor type). So the left over water, if is still dirty, will dry up & leave stain.
Eg. I have a white table that's very dusty, I use a moist rag & wipe once. Now u see the lines where the cloth made. But if I repeat few times by rinsing the rag, eventually the table is clean.
So when Scooba cleans 425 sq ft using 1 full tank, it goes over 3-4 times until floor is clean & any left over moisture is clean water, which evaporates without stain.
But if it cleans 1000 sq ft using 1 full tank, it goes over 1 time & leaves dirty water streaks.

Q4. Also, any problems of lime scale build up in the water tank?
A4. S'pore No, M'sia Yes. I once fixed a Scooba tank with disgusting "I dunno what slime" in the water tank & clot the water outlet.

Q5. I never like using floor cleaning detergent, if anything, I wouldn't mind some vinegar. Is using just water with some vinegar ok? Sometimes i add a drop of pure eucalyptus oil to my mopping water, can I do the same thing to the scooba?
A5. Yes, iRobot did say u can use Vinegar, but pls not on marble. Yah, I got customer say they add some eucalyptus oil to Scooba tank, that's fine.
I've been around long enough to know what can & cannot be used. Or how to rectify after customer used "silly" stuff which I specifically warned against.

Vachel Chan

Reaction score
If you are looking at vacuum and wet mop at the same time... i think LG Roboking is the only choice... although the wet mop function is not exactly endorsed by the vendors... i had been using it for months with no problems... just wet the cloth and squeeze out most of the water to leave it slightly damp... it can last at least 1 round of cleaning...

I've set it to run on a daily schedule so no worry that it will become a white elephant... :p

Another thing to note is that... like the sellers here have claimed... i feel that the Roboking suction might not be as powerful as Roomba to pick up small objects although the newer one have a "turbo" function for carpets... but personally it suits my usage as i do not have much small objects laying on the floor...

hope this helps...

Glad the LG Roboking is working well for you. If you are using the microfiber wipes wet, please do squeeze it dry, anyway, rest assured if any does go wrong , it is well taken care of. :)
The internal vacuum motor of the LG Roboking is actually larger and powerful than it sounds. Being silent does not necessary mean it is lacking in power. The Roboking systematic navigation also allows it to have complete coverage of your home, with 2 side brushes and an excellent HEPA filtration system definitely picks up a ton of dust. Downside of the LG Roboking Square models would be the slightly higher price.

Do notice some queries with the Robotic Cleaners. The Iclebo Arte ($749) is similar to the LG Roboking in navigation, Just that it is Round and not square in design. The vacuum power in terms of specification is more powerful than the Roomba.

The Roomba does offer good value on a lower budget, but its seemingly random pattern of cleaning may cause it to miss some areas during cycles of cleaning, though if you schedule it for days or weeks, it will eventually covered the whole area, but you may also have stepped on the dust on the uncovered area and brought it to the clean area, some comments I received is the home is not “truly” cleaned.. Haiz..

If water marks on shiny tiles are a huge concern and obsession, the Scooba may leave water stains marks on shiny surfaces, like marble or shiny tiles, and carrying it around may not be the most time effective way to do it, some did rather mop it themselves in 5 minutes than wait 30 mins for it to do it and wipe off the watermarks again, but others do swear by it.

If noise is not a concern and Pure suction Power and systematic Navigation is what you are looking for, can always consider the latest Neato XV Signature Pro ($749) that includes the new XV Signature aerodynamic vacuum design.

The Mint plus 5200 ($480) is slient, small in size, can enter most confined areas, but only wipes. It can be used with the normal static wipes in supermarkets, but does not vacuum at all, there are some homemakers that use only the static wipes and not vacuum cleaners, so I guess it does suit their needs.

All stated models are available locally with warranty and am sure if you need a demonstration or comparison, can always arrange for one. Am sure all the friendly sellers here would be most willing to help. :)

For videos and specifications of a range of Robotic Cleaners, Do Checkout Autovacstore.com

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Q1. And also, is the scooba high maintenance? A lot of parts to wash after each use? Does it take long?
A1. Rinse these when call it a day: (a) water tank dirty compartment, (b) wire mesh filter, (c) a small rubber tube 1.5 cm diameter, (d) scrubbing brush & brush casing
(b) & (c) are extremely easy to rinse. (a) & (d) depends on how dirty ur floor was. Overall 5 mins.

Q2. Like if I wanna do my rooms first, I need to take out all parts, wash, then run my second cycle to wash my living n dining area, repeat the wash, then do kitchen and remaining areas?
A2. Rinse when u wanna call it a day.

Q3. And uno bliss I don't quite get what u mean about the water marks. What do u mean by giving too large an area for the water to clean properly? As in if I have a large cleaning area it won't do a good job...?? Or that the area was already wet to begin with? Can u clarify?
A3. Fully filled water tank cleans 425 sq ft. If I use this amount of water to clean 1000 sq ft, then floor will not be properly cleaned.
When Scooba moist tires go over dirty floor, u get tire tracks. After the brush scrubs the stains off, 60-80% of water is sucked back (depending on floor type). So the left over water, if is still dirty, will dry up & leave stain.
Eg. I have a white table that's very dusty, I use a moist rag & wipe once. Now u see the lines where the cloth made. But if I repeat few times by rinsing the rag, eventually the table is clean.
So when Scooba cleans 425 sq ft using 1 full tank, it goes over 3-4 times until floor is clean & any left over moisture is clean water, which evaporates without stain.
But if it cleans 1000 sq ft using 1 full tank, it goes over 1 time & leaves dirty water streaks.

Q4. Also, any problems of lime scale build up in the water tank?
A4. S'pore No, M'sia Yes. I once fixed a Scooba tank with disgusting "I dunno what slime" in the water tank & clot the water outlet.

Q5. I never like using floor cleaning detergent, if anything, I wouldn't mind some vinegar. Is using just water with some vinegar ok? Sometimes i add a drop of pure eucalyptus oil to my mopping water, can I do the same thing to the scooba?
A5. Yes, iRobot did say u can use Vinegar, but pls not on marble. Yah, I got customer say they add some eucalyptus oil to Scooba tank, that's fine.
I've been around long enough to know what can & cannot be used. Or how to rectify after customer used "silly" stuff which I specifically warned against.

I agree mostly on your part... except the watermarks example you gave using the white table... even if the rag is extremely clean, if it is moist, it will still give you watermark later... unless you go over it with a dry cloth or use those windows cleaner...

My point is... it is going to leave water mark no matter wat... try cleaning your toilet mirror very thoroughly and then sprinkle a few drops of clean water on it... it will still leave a mark... perhaps i am too stuck up on the watermarks and wetness... otherwise the Scooba does really do a clean job...

All these based on my experience on my homogeneous tiles... i suppose it will perform better on others...

And i did not run it on a large area... i did it with my living room with maybe half tank...

uno_bliss

Reaction score
I agree mostly on your part... except the watermarks example you gave using the white table... even if the rag is extremely clean, if it is moist, it will still give you watermark later... unless you go over it with a dry cloth or use those windows cleaner...

My point is... it is going to leave water mark no matter wat... try cleaning your toilet mirror very thoroughly and then sprinkle a few drops of clean water on it... it will still leave a mark... perhaps i am too stuck up on the watermarks and wetness... otherwise the Scooba does really do a clean job...

All these based on my experience on my homogeneous tiles... i suppose it will perform better on others...

And i did not run it on a large area... i did it with my living room with maybe half tank...
The white table analogy: imagine it's a yard table that's exposed to roadside dust, I take a moist cloth & wipe once, table is still dirty but now after wiping, the wet dust form streaks in the direction of the wipe. I'll have to wipe few times with clean cloth to restore the original whiteness of the table.
The streaks I'm referring to are dirty water trails, not clean water trails. I don't see how clean water can leave trail, if it does, then it's not 100% clean water.

Marble & homogeneous tiles are very smooth, so Scooba can suck back ~80% dirty water. Parquet & kitchen tiles, usually suck back 60%.
If 1 drop of clean water drips on ur homogeneous tile & later it dries up leaving a water mark, then tough luck, cos u'll go crazy trying to maintain mirror shine with zero stain. Even our foot with a bit of human oil can leave foot print.
Conventional mopping will definitely leave much more water droplets compared to Scooba.

Scooba half tank is only meant to cover ~425/2 = 210 sq ft. A typical empty bedroom is usually ~150 sq ft. If ur living room includes dining area, it's probably ~400 sq ft.

Fufufu

Reaction score
The white table analogy: imagine it's a yard table that's exposed to roadside dust, I take a moist cloth & wipe once, table is still dirty but now after wiping, the wet dust form streaks in the direction of the wipe. I'll have to wipe few times with clean cloth to restore the original whiteness of the table.
The streaks I'm referring to are dirty water trails, not clean water trails. I don't see how clean water can leave trail, if it does, then it's not 100% clean water.

Marble & homogeneous tiles are very smooth, so Scooba can suck back ~80% dirty water. Parquet & kitchen tiles, usually suck back 60%.
If 1 drop of clean water drips on ur homogeneous tile & later it dries up leaving a water mark, then tough luck, cos u'll go crazy trying to maintain mirror shine with zero stain. Even our foot with a bit of human oil can leave foot print.
Conventional mopping will definitely leave much more water droplets compared to Scooba.

Scooba half tank is only meant to cover ~425/2 = 210 sq ft. A typical empty bedroom is usually ~150 sq ft. If ur living room includes dining area, it's probably ~400 sq ft.

Thanks uno bliss n wongkc!

Think the two of you are referring to two different things wrt water marks.

I'm quite lax on the clean water mark that wongkc refers to, since I use a 3m fibre mop and it leaves tonnes of water stain on my marble floor. And marble floor, is also extremely prone to the human oil/moisturized body parts touching the floor instantly leaves an oily trail.

I'm getting my lg hom bot (old gen from an electronic store) and testing to see how the usage is like, UNO bliss I will contact you shortly after the assessment. I am keen on the cleaning capability of scooba, just need to judge the wetness and noise.

You guys are a great bunch, thanks loads!

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I dun think we live in a clean room environment (no dust) and uses 100% distill clean water in Scooba... so your analogy of clean water is not really suitable here... as dust will settle on the water droplets and leaves a mark upon drying... perhaps i am really very particular with the watermark... and to be fair, even the slightly moist wet mop of the Roboking will leave a faint tiny watermark trail of the cloth... but maybe becoz the trail is more systematic and tiny rather than the random trail of Scooba... it is less of an eye sore to me... But of coz the cleaning capability of just a moist cloth on Roboking vs the true wet cleaning of Scooba cannot be compared...

I am not trying to maintain a mirror shine but the random marks is a big no no for me personally... like i say... i am particular with that... I am the kind that hates my toilet or kitchen floor to be wet as it will create footprints marks elsewhere...

Actually i think if the Scooba is able to attached a dry cloth below like the Roboking... i think it will do a fantastic job for me...

I did not used in on the living and dining area together... i always used the virtual wall to block off the dining area... The half tank is more than enuff to cover the area...

As a user... i am just trying to highlight my experience in using the Scooba in a layman typical user environment...

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks uno bliss n wongkc!

Think the two of you are referring to two different things wrt water marks.

I'm quite lax on the clean water mark that wongkc refers to, since I use a 3m fibre mop and it leaves tonnes of water stain on my marble floor. And marble floor, is also extremely prone to the human oil/moisturized body parts touching the floor instantly leaves an oily trail.

I'm getting my lg hom bot (old gen from an electronic store) and testing to see how the usage is like, UNO bliss I will contact you shortly after the assessment. I am keen on the cleaning capability of scooba, just need to judge the wetness and noise.

You guys are a great bunch, thanks loads!

If you have decided on the LG... i advise you to get the newer gen ones... the squares one...

uno_bliss

Reaction score
... Actually i think if the Scooba is able to attached a dry cloth below like the Roboking... i think it will do a fantastic job for me...
There's more than enough room behind Scooba, after the 4-stage cleaning mechanism, to add in a micro fibre cloth. So I just might embark on this project, like my few previous mods to Roomba bin & Neato brush. That'll make it Mint Plus Plus Plus since it sprays water (like Mint Plus), scrubs (Mint doesn't), suck away dirty water & wipes (like Mint).

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's more than enough room behind Scooba, after the 4-stage cleaning mechanism, to add in a micro fibre cloth. So I just might embark on this project, like my few previous mods to Roomba bin & Neato brush. That'll make it Mint Plus Plus Plus since it sprays water (like Mint Plus), scrubs (Mint doesn't), suck away dirty water & wipes (like Mint).

Let me know if you succeed in the mods... i'm very interested in the mod as well... We shall hail it as Scooba PLUS then! Btw it should not use micro fibre cloth... a chamois to absorb water might be better...

uno_bliss

Reaction score
Let me know if you succeed in the mods... i'm very interested in the mod as well... We shall hail it as Scooba PLUS then! Btw it should not use micro fibre cloth... a chamois to absorb water might be better...
Might as well just use Melamine sponge from Daiso at $2. I think some are thin type, or the thick type just use pen knife can slice. Then use double side tape or some super glue stick on a transparency (as the backing), then the transparency use double side tape to paste behind Scooba bottom. Settled. Remove just peel off, paste new double side tape.

hwzadmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear members, please take note that this thread is now closed due to its huge size. A new thread has been automatically generated for your continued discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.