HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

LED Recessed Ceiling Light to replace Recessed CFL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

LED Recessed Ceiling Light to replace Recessed CFL

I'm trying to replace all the Recessed CFL Ceiling lights in my house. I'm looking for 4000K (therabout) color temperature.

The existing Recessed CFL has the outer dimension of 120x120 mm which means cut-out is smaller.. brand is Akira, and are about 13 years since installation now. Each has 2 x 13W CFL tubes. In terms of lumens, I find them slightly insufficient possibly due to decay of lumens of CFL over time. What is the true Lumens of these CPL when seated within a recessed light casing?

I was eyeing Philips model 59527 MARCASITE 125 SQ 12W. Pricing is good (15.90 SGD) and the outlook is neat and nice with a slight trim light on the edge. Cut out = 125 x 125 mm which means I only need to cut the false ceiling by a little.. Outer dimension is 135 x 135 mm, closed enough to my existing.. generating 900 Lumens.. But it comes with 3000k and 6500K only...

Next I went online to Aliexpress... For the 12W versions, it is advertised as around 1080 lumens (90 lumens per W) but the dimension is huge with cutoff = 155x155mm, and outer dimension = 170x170mm. The various merchants seemed to be sourcing from the same/similar factory with the exact same dimension and even pictures. My concern is 170x170mm on the ceiling of a small unit may look like a Stadium Light or Swimming Pool Light...

My questions to you folks is.. will the 9W version (advertised as 810 Lumens) be slightly better in terms of Lumens (true Lumens, meaning.. Lumens felt, not just numbers) vs my existing CFL setup? I'm thinking with the LED all facing down, the advertised Lumens will be more effective than the CFL lumens when almost half of it are in fact shooting into the recessed (some gets reflected back). 9W have a outer dimension of 145x145mm (cut out 135x135mm) and may look more proportional to my small home.

Welcome any input from you folks.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Yuendi; 07-01-2018 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: not relevant anymore.
Yuendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.