HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Mattress - which brand / types? Part 2

Like Tree342Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #1666
Master Member

At those prices, can get latex already.
Can get latex, why take memory foam that release plenty of VOC and trap heat?

Between the two Kingcoil, one is cotton layer plus 1.5 in latex top, the other is latex top. I will take the pure latex top.

Same as the other guy, i suggest go check more of those SEA brands with latex top. Latex is abundant in SEA so shouldn't be exp for us to purchase this premium material.

What's the main difference between memory foam and latex? I actually tot that tempur'memory foam were the best. Never knew it would be hot if air con wasn't on..

Its actually my first time purchasing mattress and was kinda overwhelmed when I went down to Tampines courts to try out. Stuck to firm mattress and prefer those that wouldn't disturb the other when moving up and down from the bed

Do you have any brand recommendations? I'm willing to spend up to around 4k max.
XxlwAteRzlxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #1667

What's the main difference between memory foam and latex? I actually tot that tempur'memory foam were the best. Never knew it would be hot if air con wasn't on..

Its actually my first time purchasing mattress and was kinda overwhelmed when I went down to Tampines courts to try out. Stuck to firm mattress and prefer those that wouldn't disturb the other when moving up and down from the bed

Do you have any brand recommendations? I'm willing to spend up to around 4k max.
Get the 100% latex mattresses. They are much better than the memory foam ones.

Drop by Space@Tampines and take a look at the showrooms offering the latex mattresses.

Alternatively, you can check out European Bedding as well https://www.europeanbedding.sg/
Old 20-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #1668
High Supremacy Member

Memory foam is a more forgiving material, it will conform to your body shape. However, it's a synthetic material, often made from petroleum. It will offgas toxic fumes during production and usage. These contain VOC aka volatile organic compound, which can be allergens, mutagens, carcinogen, immunotoxic or cause developmental & reproductive toxicity. Due to its density, it traps more heat than most material.

Latex is a more natural material though they are added with a bit of stabiliser. 70% of the latex produced in the world is from South East Asia. That's why Latex should be much cheaper and a better buy here. They are more cooling and lesser toxic than other types of support material.

Spring coils give the resistance to the bed, the layer on top gives the comfort. Some beds are fully latex/foam, some beds use coconut husk as the resistance. If you want something harder, then the spring should be more, the top layer of latex/foam less.
If it's fully latex, you can "sink" in, that's if you like such embracing effect.

You shouldn't go for brand, there isn't alot of ergonomics in bed. Even those zonal support claim don't make a lot of sense, cause who can guarantee which position of the bed are you sleeping and your position. I will suggest that you go to those SEA brands, they give much better value.

Also research shows that people felt the most improvement after changing to a new bed, and a bed can last approximately 10 years. In the research, they gave various bed types. So if the objective is to have a better back care, you will need to plan for regular replacement. Not sure if you want to dump $4k for something that can only last that long. For that price, you can get pure latex. If it's pure latex, most likely it's flipable, meaning you can use both sides and you can use for a longer time. Not saying that it's better though, cause it might be too soft.

Last edited by testerjp; 20-02-2018 at 01:36 PM..
testerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #1669
Supremacy Member

Thanks, once again

Layover a latex topper and get tencel bedding lor.
Straight away softer and more cooling
MaoZeDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #1670
Supremacy Member

Crap i think seahorse is memory foam

Memory foam is a more forgiving material, it will conform to your body shape. However, it's a synthetic material, often made from petroleum. It will offgas toxic fumes during production and usage. These contain VOC aka volatile organic compound, which can be allergens, mutagens, carcinogen, immunotoxic or cause developmental & reproductive toxicity. Due to its density, it traps more heat than most material.

Latex is a more natural material though they are added with a bit of stabiliser. 70% of the latex produced in the world is from South East Asia. That's why Latex should be much cheaper and a better buy here. They are more cooling and lesser toxic than other types of support material.

Spring coils give the resistance to the bed, the layer on top gives the comfort. Some beds are fully latex/foam, some beds use coconut husk as the resistance. If you want something harder, then the spring should be more, the top layer of latex/foam less.
If it's fully latex, you can "sink" in, that's if you like such embracing effect.

You shouldn't go for brand, there isn't alot of ergonomics in bed. Even those zonal support claim don't make a lot of sense, cause who can guarantee which position of the bed are you sleeping and your position. I will suggest that you go to those SEA brands, they give much better value.

Also research shows that people felt the most improvement after changing to a new bed, and a bed can last approximately 10 years. In the research, they gave various bed types. So if the objective is to have a better back care, you will need to plan for regular replacement. Not sure if you want to dump $4k for something that can only last that long. For that price, you can get pure latex. If it's pure latex, most likely it's flipable, meaning you can use both sides and you can use for a longer time. Not saying that it's better though, cause it might be too soft.
MaoZeDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #1671

your price can buy latex...
latex is defintely firm.
I have a bad back hence need a firm mattress.
best part it wont even sink in, unlike my previous Sealy...
did not even last 6 years.
and Malaysia is a big rubber plantation, hence latex is really cheap, therefore alot are actually made in Msia

mine is Napure. maide in Msia
when i first bought it i find it very wobbly..
cos i can feel every toss and turn...
i google all the bad reviews until i found the solution
I realise its cos my bedframe cannot support..
its like at least 80kg for a super king size...
hence bedframe also very impt to support for latex..

Last edited by smiggleprincess; 21-02-2018 at 09:29 AM..
smiggleprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #1672

The difference is pretty huge though!
Main difference and decision point for me was that memory foam is entirely synthetic with a lot of chemicals in it. You're breathing in all these smells night after night. Also I felt that with a memory foam, you sink in a lot more than with a latex mattress, which is more bouncy. Your body needs to do more effort on a memory foam to move over in your sleep, while with a latex that's naturally easier. It is a rubber after all.
When I was on holiday they had this memory foam mattress that was incredibly hot... Think that's also a big factor not to go for a memory foam.

Latex-wise, there are a few options: Lotus, European Bedding or Sofzsleep (but don't know if this last one is entirely natural latex tho).

Good luck!
THTAISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #1673
Arch-Supremacy Member

Should be going for it. Medium firm and reviews look decent for the price.

Dunlopillo traditional premier king size priced at 28xx after promo, free 2 pillows. Is the price worth the catch (bed frame additional cost)?
starun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #1674

Hello!

I'm looking to invest in a Queen Size Latex Mattress.

Which brand or place do you recommend to buy?

Anyone tried dormiente before?
http://dormiente.sg/natural-latex-mattress-quality/
MVCPattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #1675
High Supremacy Member

I think you must first see whether you want spring plus latex or pure latex.
My preference is spring plus latex.
Old 24-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #1676

I paid mattress in full payment last Sunday at Takesimaya and it hasn’t delivered yet. Can I cancel and refund my payment? I asked sales consultant and what they said is it is promotional sales and they don’t accept refund. Is it true?
ksw101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #1677
High Supremacy Member

I paid mattress in full payment last Sunday at Takesimaya and it hasn’t delivered yet. Can I cancel and refund my payment? I asked sales consultant and what they said is it is promotional sales and they don’t accept refund. Is it true?
You can refund, you speak to the cashier or Takashimaya staff, not the promoter.

They will refund you with credit note instead of cash though.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #1678

Thanks for your reply. So I do not need to speak to promoter if the good is not delivered yet? It’s good to know coz my delivey date is April.

But what a strange is they told me they don’t accept refund, but accept top-up 1200 only for king size.

You can refund, you speak to the cashier or Takashimaya staff, not the promoter.

They will refund you with credit note instead of cash though.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #1679
High Supremacy Member

Takashimaya's inhouse rule overpower their brand's rule.

If you refund as credit note and got your money back from them, I don't think they will want to deliver for nothing.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #1680

Thanks a lot for your kind explanation. It’s very useful info knowing inhouse rule
Takashimaya's inhouse rule overpower their brand's rule.

If you refund as credit note and got your money back from them, I don't think they will want to deliver for nothing.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.