Recommendations for fridges

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some people I've spoken to swear by Japanese brands like Mitsubishi and Sharp while others say Korean brands especially LG is also good. Some prefer "ang moh" brands like Fisher & Paykel.

Budget aside, generally which brands are good for fridges?

bleeze

Reaction score
I have used both LG and Mitsubishi. If you are not too fussy, Korean brands would do the job fuss free. If you are more particular, Mitsubishi does provide better quality such as the feel and performance. Never tried the continental brands because I don't think they are worth the premium.

flagship

Reaction score
fridge

Fisher get my vote. Ans the price is so competitive these day..u maybe surprise it could be much cheaper than some of the nihonjin brands..:s13:

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So its Japanese or continental then. Well I'm thinking either Mitsubishi, Sharp or Panasonic if its Japanese. Never did look at continental as my impression is they are damn ex. Kinda like how one would expect a Bosch or Miele to cost more than an Asian brand. :D

bleeze

Reaction score
Comparing continental to jap brands using like for like eg capacity and functions, continentals still cost more unless it's clearance or display set sale. If you are going for Jap and don't mind a slight premium, Mitsubishi is still my choice.

lipo99

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Comparing continental to jap brands using like for like eg capacity and functions, continentals still cost more unless it's clearance or display set sale. If you are going for Jap and don't mind a slight premium, Mitsubishi is still my choice.

Mitsubishi 3yr spare part and 5year motor while other company 2yr spare part and 10year motor

bleeze

Reaction score
I rarely hear of mistubishi fridges spoiling within 5yrs if used properly. I haven't experienced a Spoilt one yet. I would no doubt go for reliability than expecting repairs in the case of longer warranty. In any case, fridge is due to change once it spoils after the 5 or 10yr mark. Still it doesnt mean Mitsubishi is better than other brands because that's individual preference. Whatever suits your usage and budget, go for it.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mitsubishi 3yr spare part and 5year motor while other company 2yr spare part and 10year motor
I would think the motor is the most costly to repair or replace so would a 10 year warranty on motor make a fridge more attractive?

ArtURtlE

Reaction score
pls dont buy kimchi brands for fridge or washing machines. My samsung fridge broke down after 5 yrs, while my LG washing machine stopped working after merely 3yrs. :s22:

Timperial

Reaction score
To choose a refrigerator, you should not look at what brand you like. Instead, it has to depend on your lifestyle.

If you have the budget and want class, Fisher & Paykel is definitely to go for. The fridge has designer look and fiberglass shelve. Look so premier as compare to others. Just like iphone's look and feel compare to Samsung HTC.

If you want capabilities such as auto ice maker, quick cold water dispenser ect, you can go for the Korean brands. They are very innovative but risk breaking down here and there.

If you prefer durable and health, go for japan brands. They are less likely to break down and add on things like negative ions, odor filter.

This is just general guide.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To choose a refrigerator, you should not look at what brand you like. Instead, it has to depend on your lifestyle.

If you have the budget and want class, Fisher & Paykel is definitely to go for. The fridge has designer look and fiberglass shelve. Look so premier as compare to others. Just like iphone's look and feel compare to Samsung HTC.

If you want capabilities such as auto ice maker, quick cold water dispenser ect, you can go for the Korean brands. They are very innovative but risk breaking down here and there.

If you prefer durable and health, go for japan brands. They are less likely to break down and add on things like negative ions, odor filter.

This is just general guide.
Useful. Thanks. Saw an electrolux going for just under $1000. Has some fancy deodorising thingie. Expected it to be closer to $2000 since ang moh brand. Guess its on offer.

kebever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm looking to replace my old sanyo 3 door top freezer fridge with another similar.

narrowed down to the japanese brands, Mitsubishi, Sharp, Hitachi

some questions:

1) What are the benefits of having a bottom freezer?
2) Inverter, to get or not to get.
3) where to get it: the major retail stores like Courts, Harvey Norman, Audiohouse, Best, OR places like parasilk, mustafa, or the shop opposite of queensway shopping centre (dunno still around or not)

TIA! :)

jho0001

Reaction score
Disappointed with Samsung

Really disappointed with Samsung. Owned one of your refrigerators for 2.5yrs and the compressor and display panel has failed. It costs 80bucks for a technician to evaluate it and then quotes $476 for repairs!!! I thought the average life expectancy of these things were 10yrs+ with average usage? They did offer a 120bucks discount but can't say I'm very happy with it. Anyway, buy at your own risk. I'm switching brands from now on.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i thought samsung gives 10yrs warranty for fridge?

anyway go audio house buy this
HITACHI R-W691FMSX

i bought $999 only when audiohouse has show at expo for this model,really superb buy!

vuzuuu

Reaction score
I have shortlisted these 4brands( Misutbishi, Panasonic, LG and ELectrolux) and wondering which is more suitable for a single person who don't cook like me.
Not looking for a big fridge as my place is 3rm hdb flat, 60cm width is enough for my kitchen.
I can't stand some fridges would produce noises at the middle of the nite.
Would be good energy saving.
Please kindly share your tips and experiences. Thanks.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.