HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

System 3 aircon of resale flat - Change or keep?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

System 3 aircon of resale flat - Change or keep?

Hi all,

Hope to heard some advice and comments.

I just got my resale flat yesterday and the current aircon is a system 3 Toshiba aircon. Compressor is made in Japan. The aircon is around 5years old. Previous owner hasn't stay in the house for awhile and thus aircon hasn't been in used for perhaps a year. The previous owner is a very careful and meticulous person and thus he takes very good care of the stuff including those build in cabinets etc.

Thus I am in a dilemma whether to change the aircon or to keep it. Worried that it will breakdown or give more problems if I choose to keep it. But also think that it is a waste of $$$ if I were to change it.

Anyone with similar experience? Can share? Thanks.
justintch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

no experience but maybe you could get the service guys / the professionals to check the condition and advise.
gimcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

Well, since it's 'free', just use for the time being.
If really break down, then probably change it.

5yrs air con, and rarely use + 'careful' usage, shouldn't be much of a problem, especially if maintain well.

Mine have been used for 15 yrs and still in good condition
Old 16-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Master Member

Hi all,

Hope to heard some advice and comments.

I just got my resale flat yesterday and the current aircon is a system 3 Toshiba aircon. Compressor is made in Japan. The aircon is around 5years old. Previous owner hasn't stay in the house for awhile and thus aircon hasn't been in used for perhaps a year. The previous owner is a very careful and meticulous person and thus he takes very good care of the stuff including those build in cabinets etc.

Thus I am in a dilemma whether to change the aircon or to keep it. Worried that it will breakdown or give more problems if I choose to keep it. But also think that it is a waste of $$$ if I were to change it.

Anyone with similar experience? Can share? Thanks.
if no renovation/any capentry works(affecting trunking), keep it.
If yes, might as well change it. It will break down eventually.

1st time hear toshiba aircon, invertor series?

else later few months down the road up lorry, you will kick yourself
lampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

if no renovation/any capentry works(affecting trunking), keep it.
If yes, might as well change it. It will break down eventually.

1st time hear toshiba aircon, invertor series?

else later few months down the road up lorry, you will kick yourself
I went down to check the aircon yesterday. Let it run for an hour plus in all 3 rooms. No problem. Compressor very quiet. Don't see any condensation etc on piping that has been boxed up. Yup! Inverter series but 2 ticks model. I have minor renovation like false ceiling, electrical works for cove and down lights. No carpentry. So I guess it will be wise to keep and save some $$$. Most important I hope the aircon is fine as I can only check visually.
Old 17-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Well, since it's 'free', just use for the time being.
If really break down, then probably change it.

5yrs air con, and rarely use + 'careful' usage, shouldn't be much of a problem, especially if maintain well.

Mine have been used for 15 yrs and still in good condition
Ya lor... I believe if it is install properly in the beginning, with care and fair usage, aircon can last at least 10 years. Likely will keep it.
Old 17-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #7

no experience but maybe you could get the service guys / the professionals to check the condition and advise.
I was thinking how does the service guys / professionals check... Read too many horror experience here regarding aircon. I check it yesterday by switching on the aircon and let it run in all 3 rooms. No problem. Aircon was cold. Compressor quiet. No condensation on piping box etc by visual. Probably to have a ease of mind, I will just get a reliable service guy to do a one time general servicing and ask to help advise condition of aircon too.
Old 17-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Master Member

I went down to check the aircon yesterday. Let it run for an hour plus in all 3 rooms. No problem. Compressor very quiet. Don't see any condensation etc on piping that has been boxed up. Yup! Inverter series but 2 ticks model. I have minor renovation like false ceiling, electrical works for cove and down lights. No carpentry. So I guess it will be wise to keep and save some $$$. Most important I hope the aircon is fine as I can only check visually.
then it will be ok to keep.
save moonla for other stuff
lampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #9

I would rather change it ? or at least overhaul the pipings since you going to redo the ceilings ?

get a quote and weight the pro and con then decide.

Reason for changing the entire system allows me to have peace ... at least will know will not leaks and damage parquet ...
terumo likes this.
kyteo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

I would rather change it ? or at least overhaul the pipings since you going to redo the ceilings ?

Reason for changing the entire system allows me to have peace ... at least will know will not leaks and damage parquet ...
One of the options I did consider was do up another system 2. Shift the indoor unit in MBR to dining area. Then for the system 2 is for MBR and living room. At the same time get the contractor doing system 2 to change all piping and do re-piping for whole house. Since nowadays got so many resale package offer unlimited piping.
Old 17-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #11

I second this suggestion.

terumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

One of the options I did consider was do up another system 2. Shift the indoor unit in MBR to dining area. Then for the system 2 is for MBR and living room. At the same time get the contractor doing system 2 to change all piping and do re-piping for whole house. Since nowadays got so many resale package offer unlimited piping.
Change the piping is essential since you doing the false ceiling and stuffs...

Once reno is done and you wana change the piping then u are screwed.

Aircon is air that you breathe. Cooling or not is simply servicing ...
leaking is tracing where the problem is and also unknown sounds

It is not expensive for system 3 ... my POV

If budget allow dun save on Aircon, trade in or sell the old set lor ..
Old 21-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

Change the piping is essential since you doing the false ceiling and stuffs...

Once reno is done and you wana change the piping then u are screwed.

Aircon is air that you breathe. Cooling or not is simply servicing ...
leaking is tracing where the problem is and also unknown sounds

It is not expensive for system 3 ... my POV

If budget allow dun save on Aircon, trade in or sell the old set lor ..
Old set trade in only give me $100... System 3 is not exp but if I were to change this system 3 then we will add on system 2 for living and dining area too... Then the cost will be high. Haha... Else we will just keep this system 3 and do without system 2 in living and dining area. Well... Meeting ID tmr to have a survey of house then will see what ID's opinion is. Haha...
Old 22-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #14

Old set trade in only give me $100... System 3 is not exp but if I were to change this system 3 then we will add on system 2 for living and dining area too... Then the cost will be high. Haha... Else we will just keep this system 3 and do without system 2 in living and dining area. Well... Meeting ID tmr to have a survey of house then will see what ID's opinion is. Haha...
Trade in 100 better than u throw yourself need to engage people to do.

secondly ID will suggest you to keep to save money (hopefully touch wood bo tai chee)

However i hope the pipes are in good intact order ... u can read other threads as well....

not citing abuse of aircon or their units ... just the pipes ... Because the units unworking can be easily changed ...

if concealed lagi more work .. ID eyes i hope can see

Anyway

good luck!

Last edited by kyteo79; 22-05-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 22-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

i bought my 5rm resale in Feb this year. the existing non-inverter starmex ACs are working fine though can see the FCUs external plastics turned yellowish. but still i decided to change new daikin smile series.

different strokes for different folks, for me it's a peace of mind to buy brand new AC. dun want to have the nightmare after shift in, old AC breaks down here and there. one time pain at least use for next 6-7yrs.
mun_hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.