Those who use digital lock lip lai

TMBagain

Reaction score
are u able to leave the door open , for wind to come through the house?
It is an unequivocal yes to the question (for A100, or Lockin S30 Pro and almost all residential locks) but the answer may vary a bit depending on the context and question behind the question (for example, will it be beep annoyingly) - but generally it is without issue for the mentioned locks.

PS. Some smaller deadbolt locks may lock (ie bolt comes out) after the door is left open after xx seconds because autolock is time-triggered (not sensor) which is not good especially when the door slams (bolt still sticking out) under windy condition.

Last edited:

TMBagain

Reaction score
Question: Must I have a fire rated lock on a fire rated HDB door?

To ensure clarity (not hearsay and theories), I called SCDF and was directed to town council and then directed to HDB (branch office specifically). It seems to be the purvue of HDB. My question: I need to change my lock - must I have a fire rated lock? The answer, while not in written form, is no. Reason given: no HDB regulation. FWIW, I can't find any description on HDB web site either for locks.

Call HDB and ask for yourself (and not 2nd hand information from me, other theories and anecdotes). I am not sure about condo. Perhaps someone can call SCDF hotline and condo management as a start.

PS. Of course, I stand to be corrected by more factual information.

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I install a digital door view
The ex owner make the hole like too high that it don't cap ppl well.
And also outside steps is low also.. Now very Sian haha.. Cannot drill one more hole

Mean, even the person stand highest step outside also cannot see the head unless very tall

Last edited:

terminater

Reaction score
anyone managed to pair Yale Linus door lock with Yale YDR50GA gate lock? so I can unlock both at the same time?

blade39

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Understand this thread is all about digital lock.

I am looking for digital door viewer,those with screen to view outside. Any recommendation?
Looking for one with longer battery life.
Saw some xiaomi digital door viewer 1S, but review said battery life not good after a few months of use.

Thanks!

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

TMBagain

Reaction score
Hi all,

Understand this thread is all about digital lock.

I am looking for digital door viewer,those with screen to view outside. Any recommendation?
Looking for one with longer battery life.
Saw some xiaomi digital door viewer 1S, but review said battery life not good after a few months of use.

Thanks!

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
It is already an 8000mAh rechargeable battery pack. There is only so much a battery pack can do.

So is it a flaw/manufacturing issue - or it is based on specs? Approaches:
  • Accept that it could be a manufacturing batch problem or design flaw issue tends to work itself out with time. Try not to be early adopters. Buy months later after release (if the product is still selling then). Manufacturing issues crops up too in mid-cycle.... again it tends to clear itself (with intervention).

• Accept that it is per design specification, so read the fine prints / user manual. Battery usage is correlated to features and usage (eg motion detection and a busy corridor). The specs tells you this 8000mAH is good for up to 6 months (how about we discount that to 4 months) based on some assumptions . You need to look into the settings and see how to optimize, disable features you are not going to use (especially if the camera motion detection is like the car camera's - always on).
Negative reviews are sometimes not representative because complaints are generally about others (less of oneself) and without a context (usage scenarios, what settings etc). ie. not to be taken as-is without stronger statistical support (incidents as a percentage of whole).

My personal thought is a high function digital door viewer , the inherent video feature and capabilities is still too big a leap for today's battery footprint. If you need those specification and capabilities in 1S, take a leap of faith, use it and tweaked down the settings you don't need and accept the battery consumption (for your usage pattern).

Last edited:

HZYiLong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like to get some comments on the brand my family shortlisted:
  1. KeyWe Damian Dual Fingerprint – Find the Pro version of the app has better layout and the link function that unlock the main door when gate is unlocked.
  2. EPIC 7G – Has app control but uses the old KeyWe app, not a fan of the layout. And not sure if there’s link function that unlocks the main door when gate is unlocked. Likes the multi-functionality of the lock. Sister’s In-law uses EPIC 5G, hence, we did interacted it once.
  3. Aqara A100 – Really fan of the HomeKit function as my family are Apple users. But it would require more steps to unlock both gate and main door as the Aqara A100 is only for main door, that means for the gate, I have to look for another brand.
Also to add, my family is looking to replace the gate and main door (fire rated) as well, hence, we also find merchant that carry Aqara A100 do not sell gate and main door (fire rated)… Which is why it is ranked as the 3rd choice for us…

TIA.

TMBagain

Reaction score
Like to get some comments on the brand my family shortlisted:
  1. KeyWe Damian Dual Fingerprint – Find the Pro version of the app has better layout and the link function that unlock the main door when gate is unlocked.
  2. EPIC 7G – Has app control but uses the old KeyWe app, not a fan of the layout. And not sure if there’s link function that unlocks the main door when gate is unlocked. Likes the multi-functionality of the lock. Sister’s In-law uses EPIC 5G, hence, we did interacted it once.
  3. Aqara A100 – Really fan of the HomeKit function as my family are Apple users. But it would require more steps to unlock both gate and main door as the Aqara A100 is only for main door, that means for the gate, I have to look for another brand.
Also to add, my family is looking to replace the gate and main door (fire rated) as well, hence, we also find merchant that carry Aqara A100 do not sell gate and main door (fire rated)… Which is why it is ranked as the 3rd choice for us…

TIA.

Appreciate the legibility - complete with punctuations and context! I tried but always fall short..

My comments are usually not to spur one on current inclinations but to provide perspectives/implications not in the brochure. I don't use these locks but are generally familiar with the industry. Others who do own these locks can hopefully provide actual long term use feedback (which I can't).

1. Skipping the gate will halve your budget and maintenance, double your entry and exit efficiency (figuratively speaking). So do reconsider the need.

2. The need to sync the gate and lock is a wonder of marketing. I have doubts about Samsung's push-pull handle with the P718 (7 years ago?). There wasn't a real need. Perhaps the real need is not to have a handle. I have the same doubts with this dual sync gate and door - perhaps the real need is not to lock the gate (ie not another digital lock on the gate). However, if you are sold on the marketing of the dual sync, then perhaps quantify how much effort will be saved and implications if it cannot be turned off (for any reason).

3. I am not sure about the focus /weightage given on the app in your descriptions of the first two locks. Perhaps you are attempting to choose between the first two based on the app usability. How much time do we spend on the app in a week (or month or year). The weightage might be small. In any case, both had terrible ratings on the app store - but it may not be important based on usage weightage (as long as it works to some extent). I used the app on mine - like everytime family contituents change (even that is a stretch). I try not to have an app where possible.

4. KeyWe as a Korean company is relatively new (Oct 2019, Kickstarter project for their first lock) and still very small; on their Korean website, there are just two locks, the other being push pull handle model that looks a bit awkward - and that replaces another model that seems from a standard mould of an ODM manufacturer) - perhaps it does not have a real pedigree of a lock company but a software lock security company (euphemism)? The model you looked at is named after the CEO .. it is a small company. Insiders for the Korean lock industry will tell you that companies come and go ("wait a little longer"). Question: if the small company goes, can your lock survive without the app/server - who maintains them?

5. There is intense competition in Korea for locks - it is a very mature industry. I know for sure that recent locks from Korea are getting very lightweight. They may look nice on the brochure, on the outside but there are a lot of cost savings measures on the inside - give the locks a few tap and you can hear the plastics through and through. I went to look at Solity recently. It has decent pedigree - has the dual sync , and the checklist ....but the plastics! I found similar comment made about (1). Yale may be the only model that has the sync and solid build (but the price!) One may argue that plastics are good enough - but that is arguable.
If you can, get a decent lock on the door (only). It is most optimal in my opinion.

PS. Perspectives are my own. If it does not add value , just ignore. There is no need to agree or disagree.

Last edited:

HZYiLong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the legibility - complete with punctuations and context! I tried but always fall short..

My comments are usually not to spur one on current inclinations but to provide perspectives/implications not in the brochure. I don't use these locks but are generally familiar with the industry. Others who do own these locks can hopefully provide actual long term use feedback (which I can't).

1. Skipping the gate will halve your budget and maintenance, double your entry and exit efficiency (figuratively speaking). So do reconsider the need.

2. The need to sync the gate and lock is a wonder of marketing. I have doubts about Samsung's push-pull handle with the P718 (7 years ago?). There wasn't a real need. Perhaps the real need is not to have a handle. I have the same doubts with this dual sync gate and door - perhaps the real need is not to lock the gate (ie not another digital lock on the gate). However, if you are sold on the marketing of the dual sync, then perhaps quantify how much effort will be saved and implications if it cannot be turned off (for any reason).

3. I am not sure about the focus /weightage given on the app in your descriptions of the first two locks. Perhaps you are attempting to choose between the first two based on the app usability. How much time do we spend on the app in a week (or month or year). The weightage might be small. In any case, both had terrible ratings on the app store - but it may not be important based on usage weightage (as long as it works to some extent). I used the app on mine - like everytime family contituents change (even that is a stretch). I try not to have an app where possible.

4. KeyWe as a Korean company is relatively new (Oct 2019, Kickstarter project for their first lock) and still very small; on their Korean website, there are just two locks, the other being push pull handle model that looks a bit awkward - and that replaces another model that seems from a standard mould of an ODM manufacturer) - perhaps it does not have a real pedigree of a lock company but a software lock security company (euphemism)? The model you looked at is named after the CEO .. it is a small company. Insiders for the Korean lock industry will tell you that companies come and go ("wait a little longer"). Question: if the small company goes, can your lock survive without the app/server - who maintains them?

5. There is intense competition in Korea for locks - it is a very mature industry. I know for sure that recent locks from Korea are getting very lightweight. They may look nice on the brochure, on the outside but there are a lot of cost savings measures on the inside - give the locks a few tap and you can hear the plastics through and through. I went to look at Solity recently. It has decent pedigree - has the dual sync , and the checklist ....but the plastics! I found similar comment made about (1). Yale may be the only model that has the sync and solid build (but the price!) One may argue that plastics are good enough - but that is arguable.
If you can, get a decent lock on the door (only). It is most optimal in my opinion.

PS. Perspectives are my own. If it does not add value , just ignore. There is no need to agree or disagree.
Thank you for your inputs.

Unfortunately my current gate isn’t in good condition, it’s been 2 decade, so you can expect how old it is. :s22:

Regarding the app function, yes, I do agree on your point. It is bizarre to see no company were able to perfect their app to work perfectly with their locks. The reviews on the App Store are terrible… Hence, I know why many would go for digital lock without app function.

I personally haven’t go to any showroom to have hands-on yet. Great that you pointed out the weight, I assume well built locks are usually heavy, I will definitely take note of this when I head down to the showroom.

Recently I came across the Eazea brand as well, their digital lock comes without app function. And their reviews as a company is quite good for a new company. EDIT: After some research, I realised they do offer Google Assistant compatible digital locks! Will definitely head down to learn more, leading more into this brand now.

Also, there is GoDigitalLock, reviews on the company as a whole is pretty good, price is quite competitive as well. But I have hard time choosing a digital lock on their offerings.

Lastly, on the link/sync function that unlock both locks when one lock is unlocked. I came across a comment that it is safer to have different lock to increase the security level. Therefore, I am also thinking of getting the Samsung DP-609 to pair with other digital lock for the gate…

Last edited:

TMBagain

Reaction score
Thank you for your inputs.

Unfortunately my current gate isn’t in good condition, it’s been 2 decade, so you can expect how old it is. :s22:
My current gate is about that age. I close the gate and leave it unlocked when there is a need for a visual deterrent. This is more mental (for me than anything else). It is hard to forcefully break my fire rated door and lock. It is sufficient (with all the cameras in lift and lift landing). Removing the gate altogether during renovation is always an option if the issue is mismatch (with a new door).
I personally haven’t go to any showroom to have hands-on yet. Great that you pointed out the weight, I assume well built locks are usually heavy, I will definitely take note of this when I head down to the showroom.

A fellow forumer shared (not so long ago) that it is hard for him/her (being new to digital lock) to tell the difference in build quality. I put myself in their shoes and I can understand that when I think about my instant water heater - I was clueless until I dig into Singapore DIY forum. The difference is starke to those who delve below the surface/brochure. Well, it is arguable if life is any better knowing too much details - perhaps just go with what you like and live with it (like bubble tea).

Recently I came across the Eazea brand as well, their digital lock comes without app function. And their reviews as a company is quite good for a new company.

Also, there is GoDigitalLock, reviews on the company as a whole is pretty good, price is quite competitive as well. But I have hard time choosing a digital lock on their offerings.

Marketing is a job and a budget. Reviews is a metric that can be encouraged/induced/bought(blunt). We pay for marketing at the end of the day. Many reviews means the company paid attention to it with resources (cost to company and at some point - you). The consumer should discern if the feedbacks are for the purchase experience (induced or otherwise) - or the products. Unfortunately lock products are not consumed in one sitting (like food or travel)- No one leaves reviews after using a lock for a year or more. It is not human inclinations (at least for locks). On a walking guided tour recently, the guide made it clear humorously: please leave a 5 rating (or don't leave any at all). It is guided marketing wizardry. Clarity needed on company you buy from (sales experience) vs and the lock (product). Eazea is both the company name and their in-house brand (ODM from Korean factory moulds, run of the mill low cost of manufacturing locks from Korea).

Lastly, on the link/sync function that unlock both locks when one lock is unlocked. I came across a comment that it is safer to have different lock to increase the security level. Therefore, I am also thinking of getting the Samsung DP-609 to pair with other digital lock for the gate…
FWIW, no "syncing" capability with this. For syncing, usually is a RF board inserted into the main door lock that works the gate RF . You tend to see this from single brand (and not inter-brand). Note also that Samsung lock business is coming to an end (business division closure / sold off).

Happy hunting.

Last edited:

HZYiLong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Marketing is a job and a budget. Reviews is a metric that can be encouraged/induced/bought(blunt). We pay for marketing at the end of the day. Many reviews means the company paid attention to it with resources (cost to company and at some point - you). The consumer should discern if the feedbacks are for the purchase experience (induced or otherwise) - or the products. Unfortunately lock products are not consumed in one sitting (like food or travel)- No one leaves reviews after using a lock for a year or more. It is not human inclinations (at least for locks). On a walking guided tour recently, the guide made it clear humorously: please leave a 5 rating (or don't leave any at all). It is guided marketing wizardry. Clarity needed on company you buy from (sales experience) vs and the lock (product). Eazea is both the company name and their in-house brand (ODM from Korean factory moulds).
Yeah, my Sister's husband told me that during the installation, they request for a 5 stars review on Google to close the installation work. Hence, yes, not many would spend the effort to actually edit the review.

As for Eazea, did some research, they do have Google Assistant compatible digital locks, imo, it is safer in the sense the app is owned by Google. They run purely on Google Home app, not via their own or no third party app, which I am intrigued to find out how's the paring and maintenance works, will definitely head down to their showroom to learn more.

FWIW, no "syncing" capability with this. For syncing, usually is a RF board inserted into the main door lock that works the gate RF . You tend to see this from single brand (and not inter-brand).

Happy hunting.

Very well aware, to have that link/sync on the locks, it got to be the same brand, but I did shared this with my family, they rank this function as optional, so not the decision factor.

Thanks for your inputs, and your time sharing. :)

HZYiLong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any reviews on epic digital locks? Are they good?
My sister’s in-law uses EPIC 5G, I interacted once. Functions is comparable to other brands as well. One thing that I don’t like is that it doesn’t support the KeyWe Pro app. Don’t really like the layout on the KeyWe old app.

And another thing that hesitated my decision on getting Epic/KeyWe locks is their retail company reviews.

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My sister’s in-law uses EPIC 5G, I interacted once. Functions is comparable to other brands as well. One thing that I don’t like is that it doesn’t support the KeyWe Pro app. Don’t really like the layout on the KeyWe old app.

And another thing that hesitated my decision on getting Epic/KeyWe locks is their retail company reviews.
What retail company reviews???

TMBagain

Reaction score
Any reviews on epic digital locks? Are they good?
I give some perspectives that may not be obvious nor in the brochure. It is good to know the origin of things you buy (just like the food you eat). Like the food you eat, it helps to know what you are paying for. On the other hand, one can consume as one likes (sometimes without the awareness) and live with the outcome (like bubble tea). It is still good for the economy. To be transparent, I don't use EPIC locks.

I recalled seeing EPIC in earlier times on eBay, for the international retail buyers. You can't fault Korea (people and govt) for lack of internationalisation efforts. Qoo10 as a platform originates from eBay and Korea's Gmarket and I hear of stories of govt incentives to facilitate overseas sales.

https://epic.co.kr/
EPIC lock brand company (as opposed to local company resellers) has roots in Korea and came from locksmith (industry) background. A few high volume online Korean lock sellers have similar backgrounds. These are sales front, not the manufacturers. So they may do some design specifications / or sometimes just putting their brand labels on lock from (template) ODM manufacturers. I saw an EPIC low-end pin-only rim lock on the web today, it looks like an exact copy of another lock I saw on Korean online market ( I will dig out the brand - I think it is Briton). The company growth focus is volume in 3rd world countries where cost matters. While it does not mean there are no markets in Singapore for cheap locks, it simply says their business focus is on those markets. I don't think they would put investment on higher end or better build locks for those markets. I browsed above web site to see their portfolio to be sure.

Local seller tends to be marketing aggressive, with sponsorships of personalities. I am not sure what mind tricks it does to buyers but perhaps eyeballs marketing metrics is a start. You do pay for this, of course, for humour, or otherwise; it is marketing cost and hence cost of locks. If it is humour, that may make it easier for one to part with the dollar.

PS. My perspectives only FWIW. You don't have to agree or disagree. To be edited for clarity, typo.

Last edited:

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Anyone following Aqara's offering~?

I think there's an updated (?) D100 which is a push-pull lock.
I googled, the model was released way back in 2020..

The updated version supports Apple Home Key (locks with this feature only started releasing this year)
Another thing is that it comes with rechargeable battery instead of the standard AA (12x months instead of normal 18x months)

https://www.aqara.com/en/product/smart-door-lock-d100-zigbee
Door-Lock-A100_pc_12.jpg

My heart is pretty locked in on A100 actually... D100 seems more expensive.
But push-pull feels like a better solution~?

[edit] Found there's some discussion on it in Apr-2022 jus a few pages back

Last edited:

TMBagain

Reaction score
Anyone following Aqara's offering~?
I think there's an updated (?) D100 which is a push-pull lock.
I googled, the model was released way back in 2020..

I do follow as that is my interest. The Aqara International Zigbee D100 is the newer one (for international markets) . That one has Apple Home Key support (thanks to a forumer who first educated me on Apple Home Key! I am clearly not an Apple ecosystem person but I had fun catching up). The 2020 model is for the local China domestic market (different specs, perhaps with different controls of overseas usage in the future like what happened to Samsung locks). There are a (very) few vendors (eg. a and b) selling this. Just call them to know for sure.

The updated version supports Apple Home Key (locks with this feature only started releasing this year)
Another thing is that it comes with rechargeable battery instead of the standard AA (12x months instead of normal 18x months)
Yes, the battery bank (solely) is not quite the norm. I hesitate a moment there too (not because of the 12 vs 18 months) but because I can't use off the shelf batteries for this device? The 12 vs 18th months has (partially) to do with the different locking mechanisms (A100 clutch type, vs D100 fully automatic type). I talked about this in a previous post with my lock with the same fully automatic locking mechanism. 12 months is a good interval for removing old batteries - you certainly don't want to leave (some type) of batteries for too long in a device.

My heart is pretty locked in on A100 actually... D100 seems more expensive.
But push-pull feels like a better solution~?

I have doubts about Samsung's push-pull handle with the P718 (7 years ago?) .There wasn't a real need per se from a handle perspective. But it was great marketing: something different/novel , that not turning the handle will have impact on our daily life. It does appeal to an audience with propensity to spend on things less needed and that is good for innovation and the economy (I am half jesting).

Sometimes there isn't a choice of push pull handle:
  • the feature comes with the lock that you want for other reasons (that was my reason for my Lockin S30 Pro lock but the push pull handle was a better (fixed) one than the movable hinge type of yesteryears).
  • if you already have a vertical door handle (in condos and I see this in some HDB flat) that would have obstructed the digital lock horizontal lever handle
This Aqara D100 has the same type of fully automatic mortise as my Lockin S30 Pro. So the handle does not move or pivot on any internal hinges. I like it that way as opposed to one that is movable hinged type (for reliability concerns of mechanical moving joints).

[edit] Found there's some discussion on it in Apr-2022 jus a few pages back

PS. To be edited for clarity and typos. Facts are welcomed. Otherwise, they are my perspectives and no agreement or disagreement is needed.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.