2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread III [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the Katana in my own room, but testing it in public places, sound is just, meh for a $400 product. It's like it's trying too hard to get the soundbar to produce sufficient bass it sounds like having the bass tone control pumped to max. So too much bass over a big range of frequencies where there shouldn't be.

While M50W, tested in my own room, the sound is... not without complaints, but it performs as a $350 2.1 3-inch/6.5-inch speaker should.

Zenesis

Reaction score
I haven't had the Katana in my own room, but testing it in public places, sound is just, meh for a $400 product. It's like it's trying too hard to get the soundbar to produce sufficient bass it sounds like having the bass tone control pumped to max. So too much bass over a big range of frequencies where there shouldn't be.

While M50W, tested in my own room, the sound is... not without complaints, but it performs as a $350 2.1 3-inch/6.5-inch speaker should.

Actually price was precisely what puzzled me. Challenger sells it at $369 with valueclub member (or you can use hachi.tech to buy without member). Qoo10 current promotion can get you around $32x. For that price and the features it offers, it does appeal to me quite a lot.

As for the sound I do agree with you, it is trying too hard in the bass and I realize they tend to put it in enclosed booths (or inside rooms) to benefit more from the reverberation. But I guess you'll never play at that volume in HDBs :x

What complains do you have of M50W? Too bright?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What complains do you have of M50W? Too bright?

Kind of. Bass extension of satellites can be better - standalone 3-inch speakers hit lower. Resulting in a hole in frequency response between subwoofer and satellite.

But to be even talking about this hole means the speaker is decent already. Because with computer 2.1 the hole is usually so big it isn't even worth analyzing. :s22:

The subwoofer frequency is also higher than I like in order to cover up the hole.

You can see me trying to describe the sound in English in vain here

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Setup and settings of the katana is crucial.
If night mode is on, the sound may be either soft or weak.
Most places they just setup the katana like any normal 2.1 speaker which you will not get the full effects.
Best is to let it have a room or space than it can shine.
On a table/cupboard it will not sound that great.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's more for fitting the satellites below the monitor, the subwoofer can sit on the floor, it is fine.

As for swan m50w, any reason for this over Katana in terms of sound?
As for A2+, I have read that many pair it with S8 subwoofer as well, which is kinda not worth for the price imho.

This is probably part of the reason why sound card aren't really a thing anymore since some of the speaker solutions do come with their own DAC and there's always onboard to fall back on. But yeah I agree, having the sound card in this case is counter productive.

A2 + the subwoofer will cost you $1k plus.
You are better off with 2.1 speaker instead.

Gambler.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi can anyone recommend a 2.0 speakers for pc use? trying to save space, so prefer not to have 2.1

budget around ~$100.

usage: for watching movies and music nia. Not gaming

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fattytotti

Reaction score
Best speaker for music

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good speaker for PC, mainly use for listening to music. Budget below $300. Is Harman Kardon SoundSticks III good?

icecapt

Reaction score
Those are pro audio equipment which you can ask me also.
Since in the past I handle a recording studio.

Oh that's cool, so you rent out for musicians to use? Do you sing/play any instruments yourself?

Actually I just shared it for the studio monitors, especially the JBL 305. I'm not sure if it's for a brand new pair but at that price it's really a steal.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh that's cool, so you rent out for musicians to use? Do you sing/play any instruments yourself?

Actually I just shared it for the studio monitors, especially the JBL 305. I'm not sure if it's for a brand new pair but at that price it's really a steal.

I handle the equipment like mixer, do a bit of recording and etc.
Don't sing/play only students do that.
JBL 305 is indeed a steal however be mindful of the input since
there is no 3.5mm jack.

You need a basic/mini mixer like Yamaha AG03/AG06 connect
via phone jack to the JBL 305.
PC just connect VIA USB to the Yamaha mixer.

I am still exploring this for my home use but I still find it rather overkill. :s13:

icecapt

Reaction score
I handle the equipment like mixer, do a bit of recording and etc.
Don't sing/play only students do that.
JBL 305 is indeed a steal however be mindful of the input since
there is no 3.5mm jack.

You need a basic/mini mixer like Yamaha AG03/AG06 connect
via phone jack to the JBL 305.
PC just connect VIA USB to the Yamaha mixer.

I am still exploring this for my home use but I still find it rather overkill. :s13:

You don't have to, just have to get a suitable cable like this https://www.sweelee.com.sg/hosa-hmp-010y-pro-y-cable-35mm-trs-1-4inch-10ft.html

This way you can connect directly from your computer to the speakers.

But I am still using a yamaha MG06X mixer because 1)I want to have analog volume control 2)I need multiple inputs for my guitar + computer sound for practice

mypillowtalks

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't worry.
Pro audio is not overkill (my own opinion :s13:). Lots of things to control.

Im also on a 2.1 styled set up using pro audio equipments.

Use pro audio must train ur neighbors to get used to the volume. today soft, next week louder, then slowly increasr till they feel it's actually not that bad lah.

Sent from The Magical Land Of Talking Pillows, Bolsters & Blankets; Far, Far Away Deep In Another Galaxy using GAGT

To be honest, I think I also sooner or later be like most of you.
Really sick and tired of desktop speakers,
Now thinking of either:

Mixer - Yamaha AG03/06
Speaker - JBL 305 but heard there is hissing noise issue
Or Yamaha HS8

Pioneer studio monitor speakers are hardly discuss here this
I am also exploring since there is one particular model
with 3.5mm jack.

tyrtok

Reaction score
I am planning to install a decent home theater system for my bto. fear stepping into audio shop and kena carrot. Would like to seek advise from you guys if possible.

I have a spare yamaha rx-a820 receiver which were given to me. however, I have zero knowledge when it comes to audio.
would like to seek advise on the set up

- probably a 2 speaker set up, do i need to + 1 sub-woofer or does it come build in into the 2 speaker?
- budget < $1k if possible
- aiming for a decent set up for music/movie setting. not very particular with audio.

many thanks!

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am planning to install a decent home theater system for my bto. fear stepping into audio shop and kena carrot. Would like to seek advise from you guys if possible.

I have a spare yamaha rx-a820 receiver which were given to me. however, I have zero knowledge when it comes to audio.
would like to seek advise on the set up

- probably a 2 speaker set up, do i need to + 1 sub-woofer or does it come build in into the 2 speaker?
- budget < $1k if possible
- aiming for a decent set up for music/movie setting. not very particular with audio.

many thanks!

Just buy a Yamaha 5.1 P4 speaker setup will do about $600.
Really waste if you are using a AVR for 2.1 setup.
If not sell it and get a Denon M40/41.

Is this for PC/Living room?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't feel carrot when I visit City Electronics and Alpha Audio. RIP Alpha Audio's SLS branch tho.

Audio house, now that one is prepare to carrot.

<1k is just nice a budget for a 2.0 floorstanders. A bit tight if you want sub but possible, or just nice budget for 2.0 bookshelf and sub.

Then is just about what brand makes you feel happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.