HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread IV [consolidated]

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #316
High Supremacy Member

The thing with complicated speakers (any speaker that needs to adjust even one knob after you take it home e.g. subwoofer volume) is you're not sure if the demo unit is adjusted to wtf.

As for bass all over the place, that's to be expected. Soundbars have small front woofers. Even if it has a subwoofer, you can only choose between compromises. Because the bandwidth of each driver is not wide enough.

If you're going to use with TV, the 2.1 computer speakers aren't going to fare better. And if you're going to use with TV with surround audio sources... Still recommend using soundbar unless you're the hardcore stereo kind. Stereo amps with radio / BT / Spotify capability are also known as (networked) receivers. But some still choose to call themselves stereo amp depending on what functionality they want to emphasize.

Add: If your budget is big, don't shun away from the idea of using AVR for only stereo too. You waste the surround channels, but you get better subwoofer control and a calibration mic. For $1500 or less inclusive of speakers this method may be too expensive however.

Last edited by wwenze; 15-05-2018 at 12:02 PM..
wwenze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #317

The thing with complicated speakers (any speaker that needs to adjust even one knob after you take it home e.g. subwoofer volume) is you're not sure if the demo unit is adjusted to wtf.

As for bass all over the place, that's to be expected. Soundbars have small front woofers. Even if it has a subwoofer, you can only choose between compromises. Because the bandwidth of each driver is not wide enough.

If you're going to use with TV, the 2.1 computer speakers aren't going to fare better. And if you're going to use with TV with surround audio sources... Still recommend using soundbar unless you're the hardcore stereo kind. Stereo amps with radio / BT / Spotify capability are also known as (networked) receivers. But some still choose to call themselves stereo amp depending on what functionality they want to emphasize.

Add: If your budget is big, don't shun away from the idea of using AVR for only stereo too. You waste the surround channels, but you get better subwoofer control and a calibration mic. For $1500 or less inclusive of speakers this method may be too expensive however.
Thanks for the advice, wwenze!

Two reasons why I don't prefer the AVR setup (personal reason though).
One, because the space is kinda limited on my TV console (probably only can fit one soundbar and a woofer), and the other one is because my wife is the one going to use the most (since she will be at home most of the time), thus preferred for her to use simple on/off device, else every now and then when she wants to use the audio system, I'll be working as sideline helpdesk .

seems for this case will be better if I were to get the soundbar, since I'll be using it for TV/PS4/stream audio/iphone, probably need to tune the soundbar to have a better audio quality?
Uramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #318
High Supremacy Member

What's your budget.

If got budget for Sony HT5000 might as well get Yamaha YSP5600 with sub

At these prices of Soundbar and AVR I expect room calibration feature, which the Sony doesn't have.
Old 15-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #319

KEF LS50 wireless if budget permits...
moron+genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #320

Guys,

I was auditioning the following (below) at Harvey Norman:
1. Sonos Soundbar + Subwoofer
the soundbar lacks clarify, and seem too muffled for me
the subwoofer was very punchy and powerful! wow!

2. Samsung MS750 + Subwoofer
the synergy seems not there, and seems flat to me

3. Sony HT-ST5000 + Subwoofer
Soundbar is good, but the subwoofer is waaay too overpowered, the bass is all over the place

I'm kinda lost now, as it seems all those 3 were not a right fit for me.

after some thought, what I need is a a good music steaming speakers, and taking in consideration that those soundbars were for movies not for music steaming (maybe?).

So, was hoping someone could point me where/what should I look for music steaming via spotify/iphone/bluetooth, I been reading this thread, mentioned some like Aego 3, Promedia 2.1 setup. where should I go to audition for this? or any other speaker setup to recommend?

Thank you
If you're actually looking at stuff in the price range of the Sony HT-ST5000, think you'll be better served with something like the JBL LSR305 + Subs.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Two-Way-P...wered+speakers

For powered speakers that don't break the bank, they are hard to beat. Do read some of the online reviews on them, worth a look. Next level up would probably be Genelec's 80X0 range.

And as for streaming, you just need to get simple DAC that takes both USB/ Coaxial / Bluetooth to add on to it. Something like a SMSL AD-18 if flexibility and multiple inputs is desired. Or simplicy is desired, then maybe just an Auris BlueMe or AudioEngine B1.
xiangzeng likes this.
Dhitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #321
High Supremacy Member

Guys,

Soundbar is good, but the subwoofer is waaay too overpowered, the bass is all over the place

after some thought, what I need is a a good music steaming speakers, and taking in consideration that those soundbars were for movies not for music steaming (maybe?).

So, was hoping someone could point me where/what should I look for music steaming via spotify/iphone/bluetooth, I been reading this thread, mentioned some like Aego 3, Promedia 2.1 setup. where should I go to audition for this? or any other speaker setup to recommend?

Thank you
If you want music performance than soundbar are not the ideal choice.
Depending on budget you can consider either:
1) Wireless capable Hifi like Sony CMT-SX7
*However Hifi are not recommended for use with TV
2) Wireless 2.0 speakers

Soundbar are intended for movies more than music.
Sadly AVR is not your choice as AVR can handle both music and movies.
Cabling is one issue.

Take note with HDMI ARC, you can control AVR and TV using one remote.
So I don't see any issue except both user got to know how to setup.
How to toggle.

Soundbar wise if you have multiple sources, you also need to do the same.
I doubt any difference except the audio quality.
Old 15-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #322

Hey peeps

I'm on the cusp of getting a pair of Edifier R1850DBs, I listened to the comparison between that and R2000DB and decided that the difference was small enough plus the size is better for fitting on my table.

Are there any other options I should be considering? I will mainly be listening to swing and maybe some jazz (at least these genres ones will be the one I'm most particular about with regards to the sound)

Thanks a lot!!!
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #323
High Supremacy Member

This is endemic to many soundbars (or indeed any systems of any type) that rely on tiny woofers trying unsuccessfully to play loud and simultaneously extend down to meet the subwoofer. Sony doesn’t specify the fixed sub crossover of the HT-ST5000, but my best guess was at least 200 Hz, requiring physical proximity of sub and soundbar to keep the 120-to-240-Hz octave connected to the action onscreen and balanced in level. [Editor's note: Right you are again, Dan — our after-the-eval measurement showed a rather wide gap between bar and sub and a bar roll-off that was well down off reference level by the crossover point around 250-300 Hz. See Test Bench.—RS]
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...4U0qoZDx3JW.99

Although you may not need to spend that much, don’t wimp out on the sub, because the YSP-5600 delivers little bass on its own. [Ed. Note: Yup—pretty much cuts off below 100 Hz. See Test Bench.]
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...akc0uV5VyU9.99

Note though, YSP-5600's woofers can go this low because it is far bigger than the norm at 4.5-inch. And even then this is still higher than what most bigger speakers can do and higher than what is needed for a seamless bass. Just to give an idea of how a typical soundbar falls behind normal speakers in this aspect.

Opinions are discussed by those who don't
Old 15-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #324
High Supremacy Member

Hey peeps

I'm on the cusp of getting a pair of Edifier R1850DBs, I listened to the comparison between that and R2000DB and decided that the difference was small enough plus the size is better for fitting on my table.

Are there any other options I should be considering? I will mainly be listening to swing and maybe some jazz (at least these genres ones will be the one I'm most particular about with regards to the sound)

Thanks a lot!!!
In Singapore it's pretty much Edifier vs Swan. At this price range it would be D1010-IV, D1080 MK2+, and D1080-IV.

Opinions are discussed by those who don't
Old 15-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #325

Klipsch do have some good powered speakers too.

Only problem with them is the inflated local prices.
Dhitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #326

In Singapore it's pretty much Edifier vs Swan. At this price range it would be D1010-IV, D1080 MK2+, and D1080-IV.
Thanks! Think i prefer the edifier design, plus 1850 has potential to add a sub. Now to wait for some discount from lazada ... but if the MKII got discount i think i also can hoot haha
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #327

Guys,

Thank you
maybe can try some other soundbar more inclined towards music like naim mu-so or dali kubik one.. should be able to try em at adelphi.
wackocraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 03:25 AM   #328

Guys,

Thank you
If you want Aego3, I can let go mine to you at a slightly cheaper price, I use less than 1month. I can't deal with the hissing sound as my room is as quiet as library, so its quite prominent. I went down with my set back to Audio Basic to see if it's mine or not. But apparently it's the same thing with their set.

*Note: The hissing sound is actually can consider inaudible if you got a fan running behind you...haha.. idk man, I think I might have a hard time finding a buyer with this issue.

Add-on: Other than that, the sound quality is orgasmic to me, which I love it alot. The only downside is just the hissing sound.
kensou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #329

If you want Aego3, I can let go mine to you at a slightly cheaper price, I use less than 1month. I can't deal with the hissing sound as my room is as quiet as library, so its quite prominent. I went down with my set back to Audio Basic to see if it's mine or not. But apparently it's the same thing with their set.

*Note: The hissing sound is actually can consider inaudible if you got a fan running behind you...haha.. idk man, I think I might have a hard time finding a buyer with this issue.

Add-on: Other than that, the sound quality is orgasmic to me, which I love it alot. The only downside is just the hissing sound.
According to other website forums, your Aego3's hissing is normal. So if you like that Aego sound quality, just have to bear with that little bit of hissing in the few seconds when your music is not playing?
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #330
High Supremacy Member

Does Aego M have the hiss?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.