2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread IV [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice wwenze. Probably going to go the active route then. Any room correction system to recommend that is available to purchase locally?

The easiest is to buy an AVR, which would come with its own mic and automatically set up itself. Note that different price ranges of AVRs have different sets of room correction features, you get what you pay for.

But if you want to save money or if you don't want an AVR...

Room correction has two parts: Measurement and correction, which can be done/bought separately or together.

If your source is a computer, correction is straightforward nowadays with multiple free or paid solutions. I recommend EqualizerAPO for an OS-wide solution.

Alternatively if you want to use hardware, miniDSP starts at USD$95.

For measurement, Room EQ Wizard is free. The mic, is not. miniDSP UMIK-1 costs USD$75, which is pretty good value.

And from there, it's a whole new world of learning and experimentation which I can't (and shouldn't) fit into this post. But just let me put it this way: Not all room correction systems are the same. Take this review of Sonarworks vs IK Multimedia for example

When switching between the two I noticed Reference 3 had a well defined low end and strong clarity in the upper midrange. ARC 2 also brought focus and clarity to the upper mids but didn’t quite refine the lows as well as Reference 3.

If you're not willing to spend on a mic, then you can do it by ear.

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rolleing Stone, you already gotten right perspective on Passive vs. active speakers ~ focus/emphasis on different priority - namely Robust (durability) vs Compactness (convenience).

As for sound quality~ within $1000 range they are quite on par.
Active speakers typically using Class-D builtin lots of belts & whistles (dac,amp,wireless,bluetooth,EQ). Not really difficult to get matching Class-D amp for passive either (in fact those using AVR, faces more complex matching situation)

Ultimately if you are willing to trade $1000 for compactness, convenience & a couple of years of usage ~ Active speakers is the way to go.

Better sound quality~ go for solution beyond $1000

contacted

Reaction score
I think contacted is trying to say we must find out what conditions each equipment is designed for so we don't waste money assuming that more expensive is always better for us.

Ya, that's exactly where I'm coming from. I'll be checking out CEE 2019 (23-26 May), see what promos are there.

There's also the issue of our knowledge or lack of it which we are to overcome in our journey of discovery.

Me = Lack of knowledge :D

Rolleing Stone

Reaction score
Thank you wwenze for the follow up to my question and forests_gump for your reply. AVRs all seem quite huge for desktop use. Gonna go the room correction software/hardware route then.

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you wwenze for the follow up to my question and forests_gump for your reply. AVRs all seem quite huge for desktop use. Gonna go the room correction software/hardware route then.

There's a minidsp MO on xtremeplace..

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=285312.0

And a pair of pretty good active speakers on carousell

Active Bookshelves Pair for S$1,300 https://sg.carousell.com/p/226773468

xuan87

Reaction score
should be putting up my lightly used Presonus E3.5 for sale tonight after going to take a look and listen to my dream speakers, found a lightly used set at a very attractive price.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Happened to see this:

JSBlEdy.png

slowmover

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all. is there a simple way to connect to 3 pair of speakers eg. R2000DB.
source will be from a computer playing some light music. google search i see
what amp ohms series parallel see till i very blur

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Onboard sound rear analogue out
Onboard sound headphone out
Onboard sound SPDIF out
Monitor 3.5mm out
USB soundcard
USB if your speakers has it

slowmover

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Onboard sound rear analogue out
Onboard sound headphone out
Onboard sound SPDIF out
Monitor 3.5mm out
USB soundcard
USB if your speakers has it

I see back panel like only got 3 holes.
One is the 3.5mm.

Very noob in this. So can't understand what u mean actually.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score

omg your house open disco tech or wat

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Here you go.. Easiest way..can go up to 6 zones :)
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ma1240a-multi-zone-12-channel-amplifier--300-815

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Pretty much. The next stand out would be the edifier r2000db if you could get it at around 189/199

Last edited:

Diluted

Master Member
Reaction score
I see. I can only find the edifier r2000db online, is that the model you are referring to? Costs twice the amount as compared to swans m10. Would you say its performance is worth that increment in price?

Pretty much. The next stand out would be the edifier d2000db if you could get it at around 189/199

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stumble upon this while searching around for the true wireless....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hogtalare-true-hifi-wireless-sound-for-everyone#/

Handmade speakers... food for thought...:s8:

776 backers at an average of $226 per backer for a total of 40 single or pair speakers sold... food for thought...

A large company with actual products is crowdfunding through Indiegogo... food for thought...

The marketing department artist doesn't know how a timeline works... food for thought...
j5teut3nuurahoaxwlkv.jpg

Can pair with another to work stereo. However no stereo speaker uses two tweeters with one woofer... food for thought...

But price is ok for what it is. Probably the manufacturer was like
A: "We want to do this"
B: "wtf"
A: "But there are people who want this"
B: "Let's do it via Indiegogo and let the buyers take the risk"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.