HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread IV [consolidated]

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #991
High Supremacy Member

In general, brands owned by IAG are cheap in Asia

Although when I say cheap, it is relative... perhaps I should say "less overpriced". Wharfedale for example, is selling cheaper in UK than Singapore after Brexit killed the GBP.

Then brands that are from China and Taiwan no need to say... Note that sometimes the shop or the marketing department may still choose to jack up the price regardless.

Some other brands are still relatively decently-priced here, for example Infinity R152. (Local price SGD$400, Amazon price USD$270.) For comparison, Elac Debut B6.2 is USD$290 but SGD$630. I don't blame the shops because the same shop can also carry the cheaper brands; I blame the distribution.

Perhaps because Infinity is part of Harman International now?

My prices may not be accurate, because different countries / shops have different discounts at different times. But this is precisely why one needs to do the homework to make sure one gets the best deals. There was once a time when Adam AX series was selling cheaper in Singapore than anywhere else. Don't omit older-generation products that are getting clearance sale-ed. OTOH, just because the product is many % off its original price doesn't necessarily mean it becomes a good deal at the lower price, if the product is crap at the original price to begin with.

Diamond 200 series is just newer than 100 series. Wharfedale updates their speakers very often. (And often changing the entire design.)

Sensitivity is never a problem if you want to avoid hearing loss. Sensitivity figures are often inaccurate anyway.

The Q is definitely more compact by a bit except for depth. But take note the Q is rear-ported, while the Wharfedale 220 is... erm... bottom-ported. Yea. This is a relatively unique design.
YouHeypiCanLiao likes this.
Old 19-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #992
High Supremacy Member

Hz ratings are "for reference only". Even if nowadays more and more manufacturers are also mentioning whether it is +-3dB or +-6dB or +-10dB

Because what they never tell you is whether those are "in typical application scenario". Some brands actually mention whether those Hz numbers are "in room" or even "on table" or even "with back wall". But basically if they never specify "anechoic", you can treat it as it is not anechoic. And even if they say it is anechoic, I don't trust it either.

Furthermore sometimes the values can be technically correct but actually useless. The trick is saying for example +-3dB, but the midbass frequencies are boosted compared to the treble (although still keeping to the +-3dB). But then the -3dB bass cutoff point is -3dB versus the treble. So, yes, it is still a +-3dB response, but the bass rolls off faster than what the number suggests.

Whatever the reason, it is not uncommon to have measurements differing from rating. Take these two measurements of Diamond 220 for example.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench
Diamond 220 (purple) +1.44/–4.56 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 99 Hz, –6 dB @ 76 Hz; impedance minimum 4.35 ohms @ 224 Hz, phase angle –35.10º @ 120 Hz; sensitivity 87 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.
And I wouldn't say these prove the rating is incorrect, because there will be some way to make the rating correct. Same goes for sensitivity, btw.

And finally perhaps the hardest to understand part of all, is that even if two speakers have the same anechoic frequency response, they can still behave differently on your table. Size of woofer, location of port, distance between drivers, basically things affecting dispersion pattern, these may have minimal effect in a perfect measurement set up, but these nearfield effects will have an effect on the sound when you are, erm, nearfield.

tl;dr, basically just throw everything away and just ask a guy who has both which one has more bass. Yea, and I forgot to mention that bass extension is not bass quantity. And insufficient bass quantity is worse than having enough bass quantity but less extension.

I would believe that general consensus is that Wharfedale has more bass while the Q speakers have less.
YouHeypiCanLiao likes this.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #993

Hi everyone, hope this is right place to ask, looking to get 2.1 for my PC. Mainly for gaming and movies. Could you guys recommend please?
bryanvlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #994
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi everyone, hope this is right place to ask, looking to get 2.1 for my PC. Mainly for gaming and movies. Could you guys recommend please?
Budget????????
Old 21-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #995

Around 200, maybe 400 if the arguments are strong enough! Thanks!
Old 21-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #996
High Supremacy Member

For below 200, get a z623 when it's on sale lor... Lowest I've seen that bugger is $130
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #997
Arch-Supremacy Member

For below 200, get a z623 when it's on sale lor... Lowest I've seen that bugger is $130
WOW.. half the price.
I presume with coupon..
Old 21-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #998
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can see if these focal little birds are still available.. $258 .
Original would have been $800-$1000
Focal little bird with sub woofer for S$258 https://sg.carousell.com/p/210365321
reno77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #999
High Supremacy Member

Logitech Z625/Z623, wait for Lazada SG.
Old 22-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #1000
Master Member

just sorted out everything, thought i should share a picture of my new setup.

Untitled by chewyicecube, on Flickr
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #1001

just sorted out everything, thought i should share a picture of my new setup.

Untitled by chewyicecube, on Flickr
Those are china brand aurum cantus leisure 2 mk2?
Amon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #1002

Ok thanks everyone I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on the Z625!
Old 22-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #1003

Cool I'm gonna ask the guy for more pictures.
Old 22-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #1004
Master Member

Those are china brand aurum cantus leisure 2 mk2?

that is correct.
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #1005
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have a set of Creative speakers (Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II) that died. I suspect that its power adapter may be at fault; it may be giving out enough wattage to light the LED but not enough for audio output since I can hear audio briefly whenever I plug the power plug out of the speakers.

Anyone here knows how to get 27V 1.7A adapter for it?

Thanks!
darkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.