HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread V [consolidated]

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #151
Master Member

Thanks for the tip. I brought it down and now waiting to repair.
The problem though, is they tell me the lead time approx 5-8 weeks.
Thinking of getting a new set because it feels very bad to be without a setup for that long.

I was thinking of getting Yamaha HS7, but was told it'd be a downgrade from A5X. A5X itself is out of stock and only A7X is in stock, but Swee Lee doesn't have the A7X for demo.

Any recommendations? Budget roughly around 1.6k range, maybe extended to 2k max.
Go and audition the Yamahas. I wouldn’t say they’re exactly a downgrade. They sound different. I would describe them as easier to listen to for most content if you’re not using them in a critical listening application.

The mids may not be as accurate, but the sound signature is generally more easy going and flattering.
wahjohreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #152
Master Member

^^^^

LSX!
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:39 PM   #153
Supremacy Member

mounting is great just hassle to pull off as you cannot change position after that and also you need a sturdy base, preferably a solid wood base, studio metal plates might not sound as good.
Haha hope someone can recommend me good speakers that can be mounted.
Preferably with Bluetooth.
GotBetrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #154

Thanks for the tip. I brought it down and now waiting to repair.
The problem though, is they tell me the lead time approx 5-8 weeks.
Thinking of getting a new set because it feels very bad to be without a setup for that long.

I was thinking of getting Yamaha HS7, but was told it'd be a downgrade from A5X. A5X itself is out of stock and only A7X is in stock, but Swee Lee doesn't have the A7X for demo.

Any recommendations? Budget roughly around 1.6k range, maybe extended to 2k max.
Get some second hand gear from carousell as interim measure till your speakers are repaired?
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #155

Go and audition the Yamahas. I wouldn’t say they’re exactly a downgrade. They sound different. I would describe them as easier to listen to for most content if you’re not using them in a critical listening application.

The mids may not be as accurate, but the sound signature is generally more easy going and flattering.
I have to agree with you after auditioning them. They're not exactly a downgrade. The middle and high range on the Adams tremendously overpower its bass and make them feel much clearer and more "flat" compared to the Yamaha because you don't hear the bass as much.

The Yamaha sounds more "bassy" compared to the Adam directly, but measurements show us that it's not really a bass heavy unit.

Need to think about it before making the purchase.

Get some second hand gear from carousell as interim measure till your speakers are repaired?
Using this chance to upgrade.

Last edited by EienShouko; 13-01-2020 at 05:56 PM..
EienShouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 12:50 AM   #156
High Supremacy Member

If you're comparing HS7 with A5X then of course the bigger speaker has more bass

If you're auditioning the speakers in a big room e.g. living room size, you will need 7" to have the correct bass quantity. 5-inch will have too little bass and sound lacking in weight. Conversely, if your setup sounds good with a 5-inch, 7-inch will have too much bass. Sometimes this can be EQ-able, sometimes not. Bigger speakers also need more distance from listener, this is not EQ-able. Ask yourself: 1) Do you need more bass? and 2) Can your setup handle a bigger speaker?

When we say the HS series has less bass it is when compared to other speakers of the same size.
Take the below measurements for example, the BM5 has nearly 3dB more bass quantity in the lower frequencies.

(Also note the A7X having way more bass quantity and way less extension than both, these are in-room measurements so this difference is possibly due to front vs back porting. So this is not an apple-to-apple comparison.)

Even Yamaha's official specs shows not a lot of bass, particularly HS5. However, if comparing HS7 vs other brand 5", then HS7 is clearly better, with similar bass quantity but also better bass extension which can't be achieved with a normal 5".

As for suggestions at the $1.6k to $2k... honestly I can't think of anything that is a clear upgrade from A5X (when considering 5" active). You can always just buy a LYD5 or an LSX if you just want to spend the money on another 5" active. (Mentioning LSX because with the "more bass extension" setting, the rated frequency response is same as A5X.)

(Or a LYD7 which is somehow just a bit more expensive than LYD5 https://www.lazada.sg/products/dynau...5tHPN&search=1 )

Or you can go passive where there are more choices because the manufacturers know there are more suckers sorry I mean customers. ATC SCM7 gets a special mention for its sealed design (just a mention, don't actually buy it unless you heard it and like the sound). Or you can get a different form factor/size or get a temp speaker that finds another use later on.
wwenze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #157

Any recommendation for 2.0 bookshelf speakers < $300?
Besides Edifier R1280DB, R1850DB and R2000DB, are there other good alternatives around that price point?
regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #158

I have to agree with you after auditioning them. They're not exactly a downgrade. The middle and high range on the Adams tremendously overpower its bass and make them feel much clearer and more "flat" compared to the Yamaha because you don't hear the bass as much.

The Yamaha sounds more "bassy" compared to the Adam directly, but measurements show us that it's not really a bass heavy unit.

Need to think about it before making the purchase.

Using this chance to upgrade.
The Neumann Kh120a. It is almost the same dimension, with tighter, lower bass and better all around performance.

You get everything the Adam a5x has, and more. I have an almost brand new piece for sale at $1700. Cost about $2100 if you get it from US with import and GST.

You can't get these speakers in Singapore. But Sennheiser offer 2 years international warranty so you are covered.

You can google neumann kh120a vs adam a5x. Out of 10 reviews, you will find all 10 preferring the neumann kh120a.

If you'd like, you can come over to my place for an audition.

---

The yamaha has boomy bass. especially if you use it near the wall since it is rear ported unlike Adams that are front ported. Are you using it as desktop speakers? If so, the 7inch woofer on the Yamaha will cause bass and integration problem unless you are seated far away from the speakers (at least 90cm).

Below $2000 a few active speakers you can compare are

Adam a7x
don't bother. get the a5x. a5x is much better. tighter bass and better stereo imaging. In fact, for A5x price, i didn't hear anything below $1,000 that is better than it. JBL 305 is a joke when compared to the a5x.

genelec 8030
you may like the exciting sound of genelec, but the treble is quite sharp. some people like it, some people hate it. I hate it, but know people who love it. On first listen, genelecs are the speakers that impress me the most. They just sound very impressive, but may be fatiguing if you listen to an extended period. This is around $1800 new.

Focal alpha and shape
fuller sound than the genelec, very deep bass, but a little looser than a5x or neumann kh120a

Eve audio SC205
mellow and warm sounding. you can call it musical. has a deep soundstage. even though the brand is created by an ex-Adam employee (that's why its called Eve. Adam and Eve), it sounds quite different from Adam. very bass light though and rear ported. If you are into bass, then avoid this. But overall very nice. about $1500 new.

Neumann KH120a
I may sound bias since I'm selling it, but this is generally the best of the bunch. Tight bass and great soundstage. Perhaps the best 5 inch active speakers for many people. But as with most active speakers that are studio monitors, they are generally more bright and dry sounding. so not the best for jazz or acoustics. very good with hip hop, pop, and generally modern mainstream music. I am only selling it since im moving to passive setup.

Dynaudio x14a
This is very different from the other speakers since it is a hifi active speakers. Very nice sounding speakers but can lack a little attack. But if you listen to acoustics and jazz, this is great. bass is tight but not as tight as the neumann, and can only perform the best if placed away from the wall. For my listening habits, this is the best for me. quite different from adam a5x. This and neumann kh120a are the best that I've heard. depending on what you are looking for. I used to own this but decided to sell it because of a lack of attack. it does everything fairly well, but just don't have the wow factor in any.

PSI 14m
whatever you get in neumann kh120a, this is comparable and can be even better in certain aspects. but this is $3000 unfortunately.

Last edited by yunie_; 14-01-2020 at 04:19 PM..
yunie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #159
Master Member

wanted to share, just picked up some isoacoustic isol8tr 200, from carousell, brand new seller has 130/155 too. seems like stocks go out quite fast. grab them while you can!

first impressions, setup with short sticks, rear short tilt, front tall tilt.

all i can say is WOAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.....

and i haven't properly adjust the toe-in.

Amon86 likes this.

Last edited by zephyr11; 14-01-2020 at 06:53 PM..
Old 14-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #160

zephyr, which seller is it? is it hifi-world? seems like they are sold out on 130. I'm looking for a 130.

before using the isoacoustics, what did you use?
Old 14-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #161
Master Member

^^^^^

that is correct.

text the guy to check, he mentioned his stocks just come yesterday. i did mention to let me know when it comes, he replied, and i was around the area. so picked up today.

was using basic foam pads, not the worst thing, but the difference.
Old 14-01-2020, 11:34 PM   #162
Arch-Supremacy Member

Triangle Borea, according to Thomas..can fight with Focal Kanta..
reno77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:29 AM   #163

Triangle Borea, according to Thomas..can fight with Focal Kanta..
Nah don't think so.....as he says this speaker is more enjoyable for budget owners not as colourful as klipsch's Forte III and of course not as revealing and details as higher end focal, monitor audio, KEF, dynaudio, bowers where you heard micro details like bitting lips or grasp for breath and imagining soundstage and they disappear.......is more good in hifi and more forgiving on bad recordings....in higher end bad recording is non-forgiving as rubbish in = rubbish out.......and paper cone they decay faster as compare to kelvar.....and mr kanta still going for sopra n2 if this was so good he might have save on the 18k..the pro of this triangle speaker was easy to drive as well don't need to spent a fortune on amp to sound great.....a passive LS50 you might spent $1800.00 on it but you got a NAD $800.00 amp it will sound sux but for this speaker pair with a $800.00 NAD amp will sound greater and nicer than LS50.....for passive LS50 only a around 3-5k amp will sound great that's why some ppl prefer the Wireless version
zephyr11 likes this.

Last edited by Amon86; 15-01-2020 at 01:32 AM..
Amon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #164
Master Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^

that's roughly what i gathered too.
Old 15-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #165
High Supremacy Member

wanted to share, just picked up some isoacoustic isol8tr 200, from carousell, brand new seller has 130/155 too. seems like stocks go out quite fast. grab them while you can!

first impressions, setup with short sticks, rear short tilt, front tall tilt.

all i can say is WOAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.....

and i haven't properly adjust the toe-in.

Is there a guide on how to adjust properly with your speakers?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.