2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread V [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for 2.0 speakers or soundbar for PC usage? Not into 2.1 due to space constraint.
Use for gaming and movies session.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using GAGT

I used a Harman Kardon SB28 soundbar with the wireless subwoofer (2.1). Has been serving me well for my movies and the occasional music. Recently, I switched to the Sonos beam.

There are few soundbars (2.0) available like the Yamaha Y108 and few others.

austy

Reaction score
Any recommendation for 2.0 speakers or soundbar for PC usage? Not into 2.1 due to space constraint.
Use for gaming and movies session.

I am using Edifier S3000pro. Really bang for the buck with it sounds and connections. Wireless between the two speakers! Kinda big thou....

kingsen

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response. Prefer to get 2.0 or soundbar due to space constraint though. I'm using 2.1 setup now but decided to downsize. So I will lookout for the following :
- harman kardon sb28
- sonos beam
- yamaha y108
- edifier s3000pro

Any more recommendation is greatly appreciated!

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
can check with you guys? i've been following this site for good digital amps that measures well. those sub $200. can't really find leh.

any tips? Thanks

You're looking for a 'digital' amp with built-in DAC (digital and analog inputs)? Or Class D amp (analog inputs only)?

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response. Prefer to get 2.0 or soundbar due to space constraint though. I'm using 2.1 setup now but decided to downsize. So I will lookout for the following :
- harman kardon sb28
- sonos beam
- yamaha y108
- edifier s3000pro

What's your current 2.1? Sure you won't miss the bass? :D

KeYoKe

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- harman kardon sb28
- sonos beam
- yamaha y108
- edifier s3000pro

can consider swans m300 too

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
the latter. no need DAC as I already have.

$200, really not much choices if you want new.

Then either, as wwenze previously mentioned:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-tp60-and-fx-audio-fx502spro-amps.5025/

Or the SMSL stuff.

Or if you can embrace second hand, lots of pretty good options on carousell.

Speaking for myself, having owned multiple amps (with the most expensive up to $1k+, peanuts in hifi world :D), and a poor hdb dweller, in such spaces, a used 30-40W (4-6ohm) mini hifi amp doesn't perform that much different from the 1k amps. But I do suggest the Japanese branded amps at least. Philips hifi systems I see their rated specs really shake head....

But maybe you have really hard to drive speakers. That could make a difference in your amp selection.

Last edited:

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
- harman kardon sb28
- sonos beam
- yamaha y108
- edifier s3000pro

Not sure if the SB28 is still available; its a pretty old model.

Also that soundbar comes with a wireless subwoofer as a set.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try smsl ad18

index.php

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even the Tripath amps back then can produce better measurements.

Muse M20 EX3
"At 6V RMS into 4.7ohm, that would be 7.7 watts."
M20-EX3-RMAA-thd.png

I also measured Yulong T-Amp before and that was better than the above. Above was 0.04%, Yulong I think was around half that.

Note that datasheet of Tripath says 0.03%, so we're pretty close. (I can accept double, or 6dB, as pretty close.)

Which brings me to the next point... you can probably choose based on the amp chip / amp module. Performance shouldn't be too far off.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Frankly at this price range, it is more of "does not suck too much". The limit of audibility is around 0.1% to 0.01% (-60dB to -80dB), so anything below -80dB is fairly safe and anything above -60dB is seriously bad.

SINAD is just the start. But if it can't even get a good SINAD, it is not going to get good results in other tests i.e. multitone IMD and linearity.

SINAD is THD+N %, but expressed in dB format. So it includes noise already. Good brand-name amps should be able to reach 80dB to 90dB for SGD$1000 or less

100dB (0.001%) is the performance of a somewhat decent soundcard so if an amp can reach there it's very impressive. 90dB (0.003%) is pretty good already and can match/better onboard soundcard. The best speaker amp measured so far (Benchmark AHB2) reaches 113dB (0.0002+%)

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which brings me to the next point... you can probably choose based on the amp chip / amp module. Performance shouldn't be too far off.

Amir measures at 5W

7OWUrno.png

So that is close enough to chip performance. This is not a very good amp chip to start with.

Let's dig further with the other two amps

Uhi8PPw.png

TP60 is around 6dB off... which is close enough

FX502SPRO is many dBs off, but it catches up at 10W. Hence the THD+N is limited by noise at lower output levels.

Since if you buy an amp with a poor-performing amp chip, it can never perform better than the amp chip, so a strategy is to buy something that has a good amp chip to start with. I don't expect performance to reach the datasheet, but it should be decently close.

If you can find amps that contain not chips, but the entire module e.g. ICEPOWER, the performance is even more guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.